PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all teams with state dreams...would a lost early in the season help ?

cunbed10
08-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Would a lost early in the season help or hurt, in the 2000 season lost to LaGrange the Marlin Bulldogs lost to Waco Midway and didn't loose again until LaGrange, so this lost helped Marlin, but with this #3 Rankiing that the Bulldogs are sporting, I can't help but remember the 10-0 season in 1996 and the first round playoff lost to Groesbeck shortly after, so I'm hoping for a early eye opener, but not to Ennis, or Burnet.

Chris Hart
08-01-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't think it would hurt Burnet at all to have a setback in pre-district. Do I want one, no way! I have enough confidence in our coaching staff to have the boys plenty focused with or without a loss on the record. Go Burnet! :)

trojandad
08-01-2003, 05:21 PM
I know by the formula most of the polls use, a loss to a stronger team is better than slaughtering a weaker team. We started 7-0 last year without notice whereas Karnack, where our current coach is from, lost his pre district games to superior 2A schools and was state ranked at the end. Thank goodness the playoffs handle who is really who in the end.

98Eagle
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
In 98 we lost our first game of the year to West Orange Stark and then didn't lose again.

Old Tiger
08-02-2003, 05:15 PM
I think it would somewhat help. It would get you more motivated and work hardER to get the state title. But a perfect season wouldn't be bad either wink

Gilmer Buckeye
08-02-2003, 05:27 PM
I think Gilmer needs to go 10-0 to really show that we are deserving of that Collier-Sharp ranking and pick.

We have been 3-2 in non-district the last two seasons and then won out the last five teams in two different districts, but then were eliminated at the bi-district level both years.

I know only the district games "count," but the teams that are remembered go unblemished throughout the season and playoffs.

However, if we go 4-1 or 3-2 again, the coach will correctly put the positive spin on it that the first five games are just preparation for district battles. Heck, he'd do that even if we went 0-5. He just a very positive fellow.

true_blue_tiger
08-02-2003, 06:48 PM
In '02, Dfield lost 2 games in the regular season. 1 in non-district, and 1 in district. And we ended up 10 points shy of playing for a state championship. I would rather go 10-0 but those two losses really motivated us, and it made winning that much sweeter.

Bellville22
08-02-2003, 10:44 PM
I think a pre-district loss could help a team. Last year, Bellville lost to Elgin. From then on they played very well, beating a very good Rice Consol team the next week, dominating district, and running deep into the playoffs.

It's a nice wake-up call, and can keep heads from getting too big.

the tigers are back
08-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Well i think it all depends on who you lose too, but if you lose to a weak team it could be very critical. What i'm saying is this if you lose to a weak team and you go up against a stronger team you already know the results. On the other hand if you lose in the first game of the year; that means that the coach is trying to find the right players for the position. So if you lose at mid-season to a weak team than that is unexcuseable. :D