PDA

View Full Version : An alphabetical list of top 20 in 3A, considering the 4A playoff dropdowns

Old Cardinal
01-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Here is the list of the 20 best in 3A baseball, that I would respectfully list in alphabetical order::::Abilene Wylie, Bandara, Barbers Hill, Bellville, Borger, Bridge City, Buna, Canyon, Hardin-Jefferson, Jasper, La Grange, Lorena, Paris North Lamar, Pecos, Port Isabel, Sealy, Sinton, Snyder, Woodville and Yoakum....I kind of think its inaccurate for THSB magazine to not rank not one 4A playoff 2002, team dropdowns in their top 25 list. They are as follows: Canyon, Jasper, Paris North Lamar, Pecos, and Snyder....Jasper went 4 rounds lst year in 4A. I saw Bridge City and Jasper play several evenly matched games last year. At the end of the season BC beat Port Neches Groves, Dist. 4A Champs,buy a score of 12-3, in a warmup and Jasper also beat the 4A champs and Lumberton on several occasions. To not rank some of these good 4A dropdowns, with ample returnees, is presenting a biased ranking poll.

jason
01-18-2003, 02:40 PM
no Forney?? They are for sure a top 15 team at least

Keith7
01-18-2003, 03:08 PM
no Gainesville?

PPHSfan
01-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Jason,

Forney only came in second place last year. You know Old Cardinal is going to put Bridge City and as many surrounding teams in his alphabetical top twenty as he can get away with. I sometimes wonder if his lists would be alphabetical if his team was from Zridge City. :p

Old Cardinal
01-18-2003, 09:28 PM
I think that White Oak is the strongest team that I forgot to add to the list. They should have been included, they are going to be very strong this year also.

Wtx_coach
01-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Old Cardinal:
Here is the list of the 20 best in 3A baseball, that I would respectfully list in alphabetical order::::Abilene Wylie, Bandara, Barbers Hill, Bellville, Borger, Bridge City, Buna, Canyon, Hardin-Jefferson, Jasper, La Grange, Lorena, Paris North Lamar, Pecos, Port Isabel, Sealy, Sinton, Snyder, Woodville and Yoakum....I kind of think its inaccurate for THSB magazine to not rank not one 4A playoff 2002, team dropdowns in their top 25 list. They are as follows: Canyon, Jasper, Paris North Lamar, Pecos, and Snyder....Jasper went 4 rounds lst year in 4A. I saw Bridge City and Jasper play several evenly matched games last year. At the end of the season BC beat Port Neches Groves, Dist. 4A Champs,buy a score of 12-3, in a warmup and Jasper also beat the 4A champs and Lumberton on several occasions. To not rank some of these good 4A dropdowns, with ample returnees, is presenting a biased ranking poll.Hey Old Cardianl, I think Pecos can make it to Austin every year and they still wouldnt be ranked, but look for the eagles to have a damm good shot at austin

jason
01-19-2003, 10:31 PM
haha PPHSfan...you might have a point

PPHSfan
01-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Yes Jason,

I think that what Old Card is trying to say is, a 4A team that made the playoffs last year deserves a top twenty ranking in 3A, but a 3A team that placed 2nd in state last year (Forney) will have to prove themselves first this year. Oh yea, and if your team is within a 50 mile radius of Bridge City Texas, then you are a shoe in for a top 20 pick. :D

jason
01-20-2003, 11:28 AM
I thought that maybe a team that made the State Tournament FOUR years in a row would assumed to be a top 20 team, regardless of teams that dropped down from 4A...but, considering I dont know where Bridge City is, it must not be within 50 miles of Forney

Old Cardinal
01-20-2003, 02:42 PM
You know, I see that the Texas High School Baseball Magazine rated Forney at #18, and a lot of others feel that this will just not be their year...It's nothing personal, its just that there are a lot of stacked teams with good returnees. Maybe, Gainesville, Carthage, Pilot Point, Forney will prove everyone wrong, and ya'll can say-I told you so!...As for the whole Gulf Coast,West Texas and the Panhandle; they look pretty strong to a lot of folks. Now White Oak does look ready to play ball this year, also. Carthage, lost a lot of games you would have thought they would have won, last year. Celina, coming up, looks great, I don't know how that will work out in 3A level competition....By the way PPHS, the following 3A size teams are within 50 miles of BC-Kirbyville, Buna, Orangefield, Sulphur LA, Hamshire-Fannett, Kountze and Hardin-Jefferson-and I would hazard a guess that ALL of them could smoke Pilot Point in a hardball game!

<small>[ January 20, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bulldog03
01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Hey Old Cardinal, you said you heard some info on Borger and I just wonderin were you got that cause I can't find anything on are team.

Old Cardinal
01-20-2003, 08:10 PM
To Bulldog 03: You are correct your High School's web page does not have info on the upcoming season,yet. I would suggest that you look back at the archives of the Amarillo Globe-News, Panhandle Sports, and the local newspaper archives of the teams you have played last year like- Caprock, Levelland, etc: Sounds like the Borger Bulldogs, are an up and coming team in 3A baseball. There is some viable info from last year that can be extrapolated out, for predictions on this year. Hope this helps...

Keith7
01-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Just because a team is a playoff team in 4A doesnt neccasarily they become a ranked team when they drop down to 3A

Bulldog03
01-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Well, Borger wasn't a playoff team last year but I know for sure Canyon or Perryton wont be able to stop what we have and I dont think we will get tested until we met Snyder or Monohans but we live in the panhandle so we dont really play many teams down around Dallas, Austin, Etc...Were just ready to get started

bccards
01-20-2003, 08:46 PM
PPHSfan:
Yes Jason,

I think that what Old Card is trying to say is, a 4A team that made the playoffs last year deserves a top twenty ranking in 3A, but a 3A team that placed 2nd in state last year (Forney) will have to prove themselves first this year. Oh yea, and if your team is within a 50 mile radius of Bridge City Texas, then you are a shoe in for a top 20 pick. :D There is not a such thing as a 'true' radius from where Bridge City is.. you put a true 50 mile radius, we're playing teams in Louisiana, and the Gulf of Mexico!! lol.. just given ya a hard time PPHSfan all in good fun :)

Wtx_coach
01-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Bulldog03:
Well, Borger wasn't a playoff team last year but I know for sure Canyon or Perryton wont be able to stop what we have and I dont think we will get tested until we met Snyder or Monohans but we live in the panhandle so we dont really play many teams down around Dallas, Austin, Etc...Were just ready to get startedHey bulldog you are correct, you wont really have to worry about the panhandle in baseball, but hey dont forget about the Pecos eagels, in the past 2 years Monahans and Pecos has played 6 times and Pecos has won 4 of them easily, look for the eagles and the loboes possibly to make it to austin!!!

Bulldog03
01-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Well if Borger meets up with Monohans it's not goin to turn out the same as our football meeting.

Bellville22
01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
I noticed Bellville on that list, and although it's nice to have the respect of others, I'm not sure we're in that league yet. In my opinion, right now we are going to be a one-armed monster, and although that may work out ok in district (although Sealy will have something to say about that) it shouldn't grant us top 20 status, I'd rather us earn our way up.

Jess B. who was also our QB will have to carry alot of weight on this team. He probably throws 88-91 but pitches extremely smart, and does a good job hitting spots and mixing pitches. He's also probably the best hitter on the team, a switch hitter who has the best chance to lead in just about every category.

A few pretty good hitters outside of him, but I'm anxious to see how the pitching situation will turn out. #2 and #3 graduated last year and I haven't really heard who will fill those slots. Aside from that, many of the other spots graduated as well.

Should be interesting, they have a very good coach who always prepares his boys well and they always seem to improve throughout the season. He has a knack for having teams that find a way to beat good pitchers, and he'll have several shots at some good arms from Sealy in district play. Until we find a #2, we're not an elite team, but I'd love to see us work our way up by the end of the season.

PPHSfan
01-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Old Cardinal:
....By the way PPHS, the following 3A size teams are within 50 miles of BC-Kirbyville, Buna, Orangefield, Sulphur LA, Hamshire-Fannett, Kountze and Hardin-Jefferson-and I would hazard a guess that ALL of them could smoke Pilot Point in a hardball game!.
You know something Old Bird. I would hazzard a guess that you can't find 8 teams that are all within a 50 mile radius of each other, that can ALL smoke Pilot Point in anything. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Monopoloy, Tidlywinks, Jacks, or jump rope. I suggest you read some more History books and sports journals, before you make such a bold statement in the future.

Keith7
01-21-2003, 10:58 PM
PPHSfan:

Old Cardinal:
....By the way PPHS, the following 3A size teams are within 50 miles of BC-Kirbyville, Buna, Orangefield, Sulphur LA, Hamshire-Fannett, Kountze and Hardin-Jefferson-and I would hazard a guess that ALL of them could smoke Pilot Point in a hardball game!.
You know something Old Bird. I would hazzard a guess that you can't find 8 teams that are all within a 50 mile radius of each other, that can ALL smoke Pilot Point in anything. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Monopoloy, Tidlywinks, Jacks, or jump rope. I suggest you read some more History books and sports journals, before you make such a bold statement in the future.Kountze would kill yall in basketball

PPHSfan
01-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Keith7:
Kountze would kill yall in basketball.
Maybe, but Gainesville won't. :D

Keith7
01-21-2003, 11:52 PM
PPHSfan:

Keith7:
Kountze would kill yall in basketball.
Maybe, but Gainesville won't. :D hahahahahahhahahahaha you are a funny guy... what was the score of our football game again?? 30-0 right?