PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Game Cancelations/Reschedules

Matthew328
08-23-2021, 10:53 AM
The link below will be updated all week (hopefully it won't need to be) with any game cancellations or rescheduled games

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/08/22/these-games-have-been-canceled-and-or-rescheduled-due-to-covid-19?ref=article_preview_title

SintonFan_inAustin
08-23-2021, 11:19 AM
The link below will be updated all week (hopefully it won't need to be) with any game cancellations or rescheduled games

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/08/22/these-games-have-been-canceled-and-or-rescheduled-due-to-covid-19?ref=article_preview_title

thanks, hopefully i don't see the names of a game I'm going to this season on this list.

Scoop27
08-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Columbus-Luling game canceled

Matthew328
08-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Columbus-Luling game canceled

Yes it was added to the link yesterday as the cancelation happened

SaltySixes
08-25-2021, 01:52 PM

Whats with the new Fox app "update"? If you can ever call it that....

stardog
08-25-2021, 03:34 PM
New - Dave Campbell Friday Nights app.
It's ready to down load.

Matthew328
08-25-2021, 09:07 PM

It loaded today....

rb585
08-25-2021, 09:51 PM

It is ass, my dude.

Matthew328
08-25-2021, 09:58 PM
App isnt a finished product....would have liked to have had the approvals from Apple and Google earlier to work out the bugs but it is what it is....there are plenty of updates coming to enhance it...

vincehaass1994
08-25-2021, 10:24 PM
App isnt a finished product....would have liked to have had the approvals from Apple and Google earlier to work out the bugs but it is what it is....there are plenty of updates coming to enhance it...

It seems the licensing was bought from Fox Sports? Why not stick with the same app but rebrand it. Then you have a solid foundation to build from. I’m sure they could’ve worked out a deal that included the source code from the original app in the licensing rights, kinda like with Fox original bought it years ago. Pretty much looks like something made in the junior high computer class during “hour of code”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincehaass1994
08-25-2021, 10:26 PM
It seems the licensing was bought from Fox Sports? Why not stick with the same app but rebrand it. Then you have a solid foundation to build from. I’m sure they could’ve worked out a deal that included the source code from the original app in the licensing rights, kinda like with Fox original bought it years ago. Pretty much looks like something made in the junior high computer class during “hour of code”.

Lmaooo wrong account, oh well I’m not wrong

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 05:57 AM

It absolutely was....its now owned by DCTF

SaltySixes
08-26-2021, 07:41 AM
It absolutely was....its now owned by DCTF

So they bought the code and decided to start over anyway?.... It looks like they trusted the wrong someone to do it lol... what I really want to know is if you knew what is was going to look like, then how could you get on the old version and start saying things like "most people don't like change at first"? Did you expect anyone to like this or was that just completely hot air?

jason
08-26-2021, 08:31 AM
two requests:
add a 'remember me' button so i don't have to log in every time i open the dang thing...
bring back the 'games near me' so i can look at games near me without having to flip through all of the classifications...

SaltySixes
08-26-2021, 08:49 AM
1 small request... give the users the ability to delete posts.. there's gonna be some passion fueled rants come tomorrow night and as of right now they are all going to be written in stone. Will be fun to read and embarrassing to write lol...

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 09:04 AM
So they bought the code and decided to start over anyway?.... It looks like they trusted the wrong someone to do it lol... what I really want to know is if you knew what is was going to look like, then how could you get on the old version and start saying things like "most people don't like change at first"? Did you expect anyone to like this or was that just completely hot air?

I am not a developer and I never got to test it because there was no test for android users...so yesterday was my first look at it myself....I like the new format...it integrates our DCTF content on there and once the functionality gets worked out IMO it'll look much cleaner....but there's going to be some people that always hate it and thats ok...it is what it is

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 09:05 AM
two requests:
add a 'remember me' button so i don't have to log in every time i open the dang thing...
bring back the 'games near me' so i can look at games near me without having to flip through all of the classifications...

Both are logged as issues w/the developers

SintonFan_inAustin
08-26-2021, 09:07 AM
What app is this i normally just follow up on scores through twitter while I'm at a game. Link?

jason
08-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Both are logged as issues w/the developers
nice. thanks.

10ForTheWin
08-26-2021, 09:21 AM
I am not a developer and I never got to test it because there was no test for android users...so yesterday was my first look at it myself....I like the new format...it integrates our DCTF content on there and once the functionality gets worked out IMO it'll look much cleaner....but there's going to be some people that always hate it and thats ok...it is what it is

“No Test for Android” and a statement made in earlier post along the lines of ‘Apple and Google didn’t give approval fast enough for testing’ is a crock of sh*t. As someone who has actually work directly in the development and rollout of an app for both Apple and Android, your app is always available privately for testing, without it having to be approve for the public store. What this boiled down to was Dave Campbell’s prioritized having their content and advertising front and center. User experience and usability came second. I’m all for ad revenue and prioritizing content, but you have to have a solid foundation and a user friendly application first. You also have to keep the apps main focus front and center (Scores, Forums, socialization). They didn’t “Upgrade the App” they turned the app into a Dave Campbells content consumption app w/ a slapped together scoring and forum section.

Quite honestly if this was a bigger sports media company who bought out an app with such a large following, and botched the update this badly. Someone would be losing their job or contract.

10ForTheWin
08-26-2021, 09:22 AM
“No Test for Android” and a statement made in earlier post along the lines of ‘Apple and Google didn’t give approval fast enough for testing’ is a crock of sh*t. As someone who has actually work directly in the development and rollout of an app for both Apple and Android, your app is always available privately for testing, without it having to be approve for the public store. What this boiled down to was Dave Campbell’s prioritized having their content and advertising front and center. User experience and usability came second. I’m all for ad revenue and prioritizing content, but you have to have a solid foundation and a user friendly application first. You also have to keep the apps main focus front and center (Scores, Forums, socialization). They didn’t “Upgrade the App” they turned the app into a Dave Campbells content consumption app w/ a slapped together scoring and forum section.

Quite honestly if this was a bigger sports media company who bought out an app with such a large following, and botched the update this badly. Someone would be losing their job or contract.

All this above being said, a crappy app is better than no app. So I’m still gonna use it, I’m just gonna bitch a little bit

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 09:25 AM

If there was a test for andriod I never got it...so there's that....and we absolutely prioritized our content front and center...we bought the app...of course we'd do that!! LOL

We'll get the user experience and functionality part worked out....

Saggy Aggie
08-26-2021, 02:14 PM
It is ass, my dude.
Tate Martell would be proud

Saggy Aggie
08-26-2021, 02:19 PM
I’m having trouble creating an account on the Texas football app. Says email is invalid

rb585
08-26-2021, 03:10 PM

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l4q8cJzGdR9J8w3hS/giphy.gif

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 03:28 PM
I’m having trouble creating an account on the Texas football app. Says email is invalid

send an email to app@texasfootball.com

10ForTheWin
08-26-2021, 05:24 PM
If there was a test for andriod I never got it...so there's that....and we absolutely prioritized our content front and center...we bought the app...of course we'd do that!! LOL

There’s the problem prioritize usability first, then content. Bring the people in first, then rollout extra content down the line. That way you already have an established user base that use the app constantly.

rb585
08-26-2021, 06:08 PM
There’s the problem prioritize usability first, then content. Bring the people in first, then rollout extra content down the line. That way you already have an established user base that use the app constantly.

They don't even seem to be rolling out extra content. Everything I see is what I've already read on TexasFootball.com.

Matthew328
08-26-2021, 06:32 PM
They don't even seem to be rolling out extra content. Everything I see is what I've already read on TexasFootball.com.

and what better way to market that content than to use the app you bought!

rb585
08-26-2021, 09:56 PM
Great job on the website, too -- it's 9:54 and every score on the scoreboard link is 0-0.

Other than Matt's weekly previews, there's literally nothing of value coming from DCTF.

Saggy Aggie
08-27-2021, 09:42 AM
Tough crowd here

Matthew328
08-27-2021, 02:39 PM
https://www.texasfootball.com/football-friday-communications-center/?ref=nav

Matthew328
08-27-2021, 02:42 PM
Great job on the website, too -- it's 9:54 and every score on the scoreboard link is 0-0.

Other than Matt's weekly previews, there's literally nothing of value coming from DCTF.

The website scoreboard is an API feed from the app so when the app crashed the scoreboard didnt update until I got home from my game and manually updated it myself....and I'm glad a lot of people disagree with your take on whats coming from DCTF or I wouldnt have a job lol

10ForTheWin
08-27-2021, 06:23 PM
The website scoreboard is an API feed from the app so when the app crashed the scoreboard didnt update until I got home from my game and manually updated it myself....and I'm glad a lot of people disagree with your take on whats coming from DCTF or I wouldnt have a job lol

I don’t think anyone can argue that DCTF has bad content, it doesn’t. They just are extremely lacking on the technical side. The website has been bad for years, and they ruined a great app. Higher new developer with the same about of talent as the writers and things will improve.

stardog
08-27-2021, 08:56 PM
App not working tonight for me.

Saggy Aggie
08-27-2021, 09:27 PM
App not working tonight for me. same

Tejastrue
08-27-2021, 10:02 PM
Ditto

10ForTheWin
08-27-2021, 10:10 PM
same

Same here. App wasn’t prepared, and neither were their servers lmao. Loyal employee Matt will have a great explanation tho

stardog
08-28-2021, 06:15 AM
When the old Fox Friday Football got going the Downlow started dieing a slow death. With the new App not working was thankful for the scores posted on the Downlow. I like the Friday night for live scores and the DL for it's civilized chat and discussion. Don't let the DL become a BS slander site like the old FN app was.

SaltySixes
08-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Same here. App wasn’t prepared, and neither were their servers lmao. Loyal employee Matt will have a great explanation tho

He has for sure made a habit of telling fans they should be content with less because they are spoiled and lucky...

SaltySixes
08-28-2021, 08:32 AM
When the old Fox Friday Football got going the Downlow started dieing a slow death. With the new App not working was thankful for the scores posted on the Downlow. I like the Friday night for live scores and the DL for it's civilized chat and discussion. Don't let the DL become a BS slander site like the old FN app was.

Are you 100? That app was fun this site is not as fun... now neither are fun and DCTF is fully profit driven as they virtue signal about how great they are for the kids...

I wonder if the updates mentioned by Matt are BS as well, im starting to think that may be the case.

SaltySixes
08-28-2021, 08:37 AM

Does that mean DCTF will make it just functional enough? (Rn it straight up didn't work on gameday) Yall seriously need to make strides soon or the great advertisement opportunity that you think the app was will dry up fast... so many people are simply giving up on it because once again we were given a cruddy product and told to be happy about it by the always irritable golden boy...

The door is officially wide open for someone to make a different much better alternative and honestly 1 tech savvy dude could do a better job than your pos developers... total disgrace

This nonprofitable fan site is 100x better just think about that...

d0tc0m
08-28-2021, 09:37 AM
I was really hopeful at first. I thought DCTF’s acknowledgement that they screwed up and plan to improve would help ease the frustration of this transition. But man, it’s worse than I thought it was. Last night just showed, it’s time to shudder the doors of this app. It’s hard to imagine a worse rollout for any app or platform. It’s not just some hiccups and miscues. It’s an absolute dumpster fire. I don’t even know that the bones of the app are any good. I would imagine — and hope — there is some ass chewing going on at DCTF behind the scenes, because this was real bad. Bad enough to knock them down a tier or two of respectability if they don’t right the ship and do it quickly. And like Salty said, a vacuum has suddenly formed where there wasn’t one the past few seasons. And if any developer can get an app similar to the old one, people will jump ship on DCTF quickly.

Best thing DCTF could do right now is admit how colossally they f’d up in the name of their brand, and roll out the app as it was before. That’s literally what every paying customer is clamoring for. If the DCTF group ignores that for the sake of “change” then they’re gonna lose a good deal of folks.

Saggy Aggie
08-28-2021, 09:58 AM
I need a BBDE crying baby meme right now

SaltySixes
08-28-2021, 11:32 AM
I need a BBDE crying baby meme right now

Sorry for using a football forum to talk about a football app.....I was way out of line...

rb585
08-28-2021, 05:19 PM
This seems to be DCTF's "New Coke" moment. And we know how the Coca Cola Corporation solved that fuckup.

jason
08-28-2021, 10:53 PM
Don't know why they didn't just slap their logo on the old app and provide another one like what was released with their paid content. There are 2 customer bases. 1 who want scores 17 weeks out of the year and 1 who wants the year round DCTF content.

Guarantee once the bugs are gone and everything is functional, probably next season, there will be a short term subscription required for people who just want scores.

If you've never used the score stream app, it's ok. It's kind of clunky but it's functional.

rb585
08-29-2021, 12:01 AM
I watched games on Texan Live last night. Excuse me... Dave Campbell's Texan Live.

Ironically enough, the broadcast was completely indistinguishable from the Texan Live coverage that I saw last season, other than a DCTF logo up next to the score bar. Same commercials, still trying to get me to vacation in Katy and apply to TAMU-Kingsville. The website is still texanlive.com. On the website, the only mention of DCTF is this, which I can't even read:
https://www.texanlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/texanlive-200x50bDCTF-2.png

It's too bad they couldn't have done the same thing with the app.

d0tc0m
08-29-2021, 07:40 AM
If they want to win back the loyal folks and subscribers they’ve soured, that’s exactly what they need to do. Just relaunch the old app with a new logo. And then take a year or two years to actually get this new app functional. But there wasn’t anything wrong with the other one at all, and it was just another fun piece of the Friday night experience.

SaltySixes
08-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Would love to here from Matt again on what the update schedule is...

SaltySixes
08-30-2021, 08:20 AM
Now it won't load at all... I think its officially dead. DCTF is a disgrace

Matthew328
08-30-2021, 12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/dctf/status/1432387707037224962

sk1
08-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Dave Campbells brought back the old APP. You have to go and download it from the App Store or Google Play.

Week 1 scores are not updated. You can go in and enter final score yourself.

d0tc0m
08-30-2021, 12:27 PM

This was the right move. Big win for the fans. Thanks for sharing, Matt.

I know it was probably a tough week/weekend for you personally, probably getting/feeling attacked, even though you're not an app developer. But you're still awesome, we all still appreciate the work you do for Texas High School Football. You still bring a ton of value and are an integral part of the Friday Night Experience. So if you were feeling down and out from all this, I hope it doesn't last long and you remember how much we all appreciate the work.

Matthew328
08-30-2021, 12:47 PM
Appreciate that....

10ForTheWin
08-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Kudos to DCTF for admitting fault and rolling back the App, they gotta focus on beefing up their servers now to handle the high traffic.

Here’s to hoping down the line the app that DCTF has in their mind does come to light and it becomes the go to app for TXHSFB

SaltySixes
08-30-2021, 12:53 PM
I have to admit that was handled well and now I'm left wishing the DL let you delete day old posts... well done DCTF

Scoop27
08-30-2021, 01:09 PM
I don't even have a phone that will do that (Only have an old 10year old plus flip phone.I just listen to webcasts and update scores that way or on AM radio stations

jason
08-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Don't know why they didn't just slap their logo on the old app
nailed it

SintonFan_inAustin
08-30-2021, 02:36 PM
i normally just multitask to get the scores i want to know about, might try out the app this season.

4aSFIA
@3aSTXFan
·
3m
http://Texasdownlow.com forum members were pretty upset lol!! Never have used it so i didn't really know why they're so upset but this might get them off matts back.

rb585
08-31-2021, 06:57 PM

Congrats to DCTF on making the right decision. Just like Coke.

rb585
08-31-2021, 06:59 PM
This was the right move. Big win for the fans. Thanks for sharing, Matt.

I know it was probably a tough week/weekend for you personally, probably getting/feeling attacked, even though you're not an app developer. But you're still awesome, we all still appreciate the work you do for Texas High School Football. You still bring a ton of value and are an integral part of the Friday Night Experience. So if you were feeling down and out from all this, I hope it doesn't last long and you remember how much we all appreciate the work.
https://c.tenor.com/OqZ3-4d7jyUAAAAC/rock-clapping.gif

SaltySixes
09-03-2021, 08:14 PM

Looks like you called it... no improvement on the backend...still useless