View Full Version : PNG-Jasper Preview

Matthew328
08-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Pt Neches-Groves vs Jasper
7:30 Friday, Jasper
Last Year: Jasper 25 PNG 0

Key Players: PNG OG Chris Henson, TB Derek Gohke
Jasper RB Marlon Cook, OL SirVincent Rogers

About PNG: Look for the Indians to compete for a playoff spot in the brutal 20-4A, they have most of their key players back from a 5-5 squad of 2002..Gohke had 826 yards as a sophmore and should put up very good numbers behind one of the better O-Lines in SE Texas...FS Travis Hebert is a very dangerous return man..

About Jasper: The Bulldogs ranks were thinned by graduation, but with the 250 lb back in Cook and an O-Line led by Rogers dont feel too bad for the Dawgs, they'll be in the mix come November...WR D'Kendrick Gilder could turn into a big time playmaker in the passing game...

Overall: Look for PNG to try and avenge their domination at Jasper's hands last year, it'll be close and with a young and inexperienced team Jasper may be ripe to struggle some early..but don't totally count on it...this one will be close..Jasper by 3..

Old Cardinal
08-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Matt: That District(20-4A) is real tough...I am amazed how some folks think because Six teams did not make the playoffs, out of 9 teams that some how they are weak. The raw fact is that only 3 can represent, in the playoffs(by playoff time WOS was ready, but lost out in the three way tie for second)....Likewise, since Four teams is SE Texas, in 3A, are discriminated against by having 8-team districts, some pretty good teams don't make the playoffs that would be shoo-ins in the bulk of the 6 team Districts across the State....Even if we had 4 Districts with 6 teams and 2 Districts with 7 teams; that would give us 15 playoff teams, instead of 12. It should be done fairly across Texas and not done unfairly for the 3-A and 4-A teams in SE Texas.

spiveyrat
08-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I was just on an "unofficial" PNG football website where I saw this banner. Look at the attendance for the PNG/Plano game back in 1977.
http://www.pngindians.com/images/playoffrecords.gif

Talk about your well attended ball games!

Compudyne
08-27-2003, 12:26 PM
The word is Big Cook is out with on injured leg. With or without him, I am picking PNG by 14+.

JasperDog94
08-27-2003, 12:56 PM
I hope that the Nederland scrimmage was a wake-up call to the dawgs. We got beat last year but rebounded pretty well against PNG. We'll see Friday night.

j_dog
08-27-2003, 04:35 PM
PN-G will be tough. Go get 'um dogs!! :mad:

Bulldog92
08-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Should be a good test for both schools. If it were played in Port Neches, I'd give the Indians the nod. I'm tempted to anyway...especially with our inexperience at the QB position, but I expect the Dogs to find a way to get it done at home. It won't be pretty, though. Jasper by 6.