PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 32, Jefferson 20

Gilmer Buckeye
09-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Buckeyes have to come from behind repeatedly. Almost a nightmare scenario at the Dawg Pound in Jefferson. But QB Derek McKenzie stepped up in the second half and more or less single-handedly led Gilmer to victory. We were behind even in the fourth quarter by 20-19. Gilmer cannot kick extra points yet. That's why we deserve to fall quite a few rungs in Collier-Sharp or any other poll. No state championship caliber team can afford to miss more than half its PATs.

Last week, it was Derek's passing that sparked the 59-6 rout at Gladewater. This week he did it on the ground with repeated 10- to 20-yard gains on QB draws. He took what they gave him. Receiver Manuel Johnson, who scored three TDs in the Gladewater game, dropped at least three passes. But he caught several as well. Jefferson was keying on our tailback, Andrew Hines. He was shut down fairly well, but I'll bet he still exceeded 100 yards. He had 42 on one play.

Calvin Dennis of Jefferson busted two long runs of 77 and 65 yards, straight up the middle. Coach Greg Brown had obviously decided the way to attack Gilmer's very fast, but not very large defense was to go right at them.

I have to give credit to Jefferson for a very well-coached and well-played game. The Bulldogs led 14-7 at the half, but Gilmer's talent, especially offensively, eventually wore down Jefferson, who suited up only 25 players, several of whom went both ways.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-06-2003, 08:54 PM
Link to game account:

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/09/06/1062827164.18429.6318.0632.html

Xtex
09-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey, your bucks had a little adversity and overcame it. No need to move Gilmer down in the rankings just because a good Jefferson team gave them a hard time. The bulldogs are going to give a lot of folks grief this year just like last season. Did this Dennis kid play last year cause I don't remember him? Was more expecting you to say that Jo Jo Rawls had a good night. Did he even play? There was no mention of him in your post. Yeah, that McKenzie fella is a sack full of trouble. Hard to contain and throws the ball as well as the Prince kid from SH but is a serious running threat as well.

Man, what has happened to Gladewater? I've never seen them this down. Since you're just down the road, I thought you might have a little input on this.

from the ghetto..... wink

<small>[ September 06, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Xtex ]</small>

Gilmer Buckeye
09-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Dennis played last season and had some big games also as I recall. Rawls broke a long run on us last season early, but since we won 53-14, he wasn't much of a factor once they began falling behind. Jefferson needs to learn how to throw the ball. I guess it's just not in Brown's philosophy.

The line on Rawls is that he was bitten on the arm by a brown recluse spider during the week. He didn't carry that often. Either two or three Jeff starters were out due to injuries. If they had had the depth Gilmer has, I shudder to think what would have happened.

Well, as to G'water, I happen to have been on the Buckeye team which was quarterbacked by one of your current assistant coaches up in Tiger Country. He was a few seats away from me scouting that night. I heard his end of a conversation on his cell phone back to Tiger Central at halftime and he said, "Looks like Gladewater is a little down this year."

That guy always was the master of understatement.

The Jefferson station which carries their broadcasts (KJTX 104.5 FM) is heard in Gilmer and I have now heard that one of their guys said after the game that there's no way Gilmer will go undefeated during the regular season and that they have no chance of winning state either.

Until we improve both our defense and kicking games, I can't say I disagree with either of these comments. If we didn't have such overwhelming talent offensively, we'd already be 1-1. The way Jefferson was opening holes in our defensive line (286 yards rushing) was very reminiscent of what the Tigers did to us last Nov. 16 at Sam Parker.