PDA

View Full Version : Cotulla Cowboys in playoffs?

footballgal
11-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey Intocable Cowboy if your around, I heard the 'boys made it to the playoffs as the #3 team with only their 2nd district win, beating Carrizo Springs last night, is that true?

If that is the case, the boys' are making history by making the playoffs two years in a row. Thank God for 3 playoffs spots! This gives teams and the their communities for example like Cotulla, to experience the great atmosphere and all around fun of being part of the state playoffs. :)

intocable_cowboy
11-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Well right now we hold the 3rd place spot, we just need to knock off the last team to secure that spot. I don't like to sound overconfident but we should be able to win against Crystal City. Let's pray nothing goes wrong. Here follows my orginal post from Friday night...

Cotulla came from behind to win what was a battle for the third playoff spot. Carrizo was lead by QB Luis Martinez who at first seemed to be leading Carrizo to an easy win. Carrizo scored and made the 2pt attempt to lead 8-0. Cotulla responded on their next drive to cut it to 8-6. Carrizo again pulled out to a 16-6 lead. Then we lose our QB on a minor injury and settle for a field goal, but that hooked right and was no good. On our next drive we had a QB that had never played a down at that position. Still we scored and brought it to 16-12 at the half. Carrizo quickly responded in the second half and scored on a TD pass to pull it to 23-12, in less than a minute. Still the Boys held their heads up and under a newfound running game pulled it to within 23-18. Then came the pivotal score that brought it to 24-23 in favor of Cotulla. The defense held its ground on a 4th down play to secure the win, and possibly a playoff berth. We need to win against Crystal City to advance for the second year in a row, which would be historical in our records as Cotulla has never done that.

!GO COWBOYS GO!

29AAA SCORES:
Hondo 18 (7-2,4-0), Pearsall 0 (0-9,0-4)
Devine 50 (5-4,4-0), Crystal City 0 (1-8,1-3)
Cotulla 24 (4-5,2-2), Carrizo Springs 23 (3-6,1-3)

PhiI C
11-02-2003, 09:31 AM
I agree that it is great to have playoffs for third place teams to have that experience even though generally it is usually temporary but it is fun. I know about Bandera of last year but that doesn't happen very often. I would hate to go back to where only one team from each district got into the playoffs. Thank goodness we are not the BCS. Of course having four teams in seemed a little too much.

footballgal
11-03-2003, 08:37 PM
PhiI C:
I agree that it is great to have playoffs for third place teams to have that experience even though generally it is usually temporary but it is fun. I know about Bandera of last year but that doesn't happen very often. I would hate to go back to where only one team from each district got into the playoffs. Thank goodness we are not the BCS. Of course having four teams in seemed a little too much.I agree with you Phil, even though is short experience but at least they can have something to look forward and get excited about. I also agree with you that about the 4 teams, that would be just too much! Yeah, the one team would also be real bad IMO. Some teams wouldn't benefit for example if a team who may have a slow start and end up strong, to only be one game short of making the playoffs. That reminds of the mid 70's when Cotulla had fielded some good teams in particular one season where they missed out by one point of the district championship and the playoffs by loosing to Pearsall 7-6. There a great player playing at the time who went on to play for the A&M Aggies and later with the Clevland Browns, Mike Whitwell.

<small>[ November 03, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
intocable_cowboy:
Well right now we hold the 3rd place spot, we just need to knock off the last team to secure that spot. I don't like to sound overconfident but we should be able to win against Crystal City. Let's pray nothing goes wrong. Here follows my orginal post from Friday night...

Thanks for the info intocable_cowboy, keep me updated!