PDA

View Full Version : Hallettsville Sacred Heart coach David Hussman passes away today

Scoop27
12-18-2020, 10:38 PM
Hallettesville Sacred Heart coach David Hussman completed his first season at Hallettsville Sacred Heart passed away today after losing a battle with the COID virus according to his daughter's facebook page. He had big success at Schulenburg in the mid 1990s. And I also think he coached at Weimar a few years ago.

Got to know him when I was writing sports at the Wharton Journal Spectator when the Shorthorns played East Bernard twice in one season and one playoff game was played at the Astrodome.

Prayers to his family

Scoop27
12-18-2020, 11:05 PM
Spell correction Husmann

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-18-2020, 11:24 PM
I thought his name sounded familiar. Former coach at Schulenberg during their title runs in the 90s, am I right?

RIP

Scoop27
12-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Yes title runs but forgot what years in the 90s/

Scoop27
12-19-2020, 11:18 AM
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/advosports/long-time-coach-david-husmann-dies/article_2b4a5572-41ad-11eb-bf44-b327284b6a11.html

Scoop27
12-19-2020, 11:19 AM
Hallettsville Sacred Heart athletic director and head football coach David Husmann died Friday of complications from COVID-19. Husmann was 67.

Husmann had taken over at Sacred Heart in August, and the Indians played an abbreviated schedule. Sacred Heart went 2-4 and lost in the area round of the TAPPS Division IV playoffs.

Husmann was a head coach for 27 seasons, previously coaching at Schulenburg, Gladewater and Weimar.

He had an overall record of 219-101-1 that included 17 playoff appearances.

Husmann led Schulenburg to three state final appearances and state championships in 1991 and 1992.

Husmann was also an assistant coach at Pearland, Hallettsville and Victoria Memorial.

Husmann also coached the girls golf team at Weimar and led it to the 2011 state championship.

Husmann played quarterback under Bill Yeoman at the University of Houston for three seasons and was also a member of the Cougars baseball team for one season.

Husmann's death was mourned by fans and coaches.

A legend is lost," said Kevin Fishbeck of Weimar. "A true friend will be missed by everyone that ever had the opportunity to meet him. RIP Coach."

"Awful day for everyone associated with TXHSFB," Flatonia coach Chris Freytag tweeted. "Great person and Coach. God Bless him and his family. Bulldog nation sends our prayers."

Husmann is survived by his wife, Karen, and daughters, Angie, Kristen and Bonnie.

Gontex
12-19-2020, 05:16 PM
David coached for several years in Gonzales during the '80's. He had lots of friends. So sorry to hear of his passing. He leaves lots of pleasant memories behind. Rest in Peace, David.