PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs vs. Buckeyes - 2020 4A Div. II State Championship

oldtownag
12-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Rematch. Gilmer is better but so is Carthage. The Bulldogs win by 3 tourchdowns.

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Good to see the buckeyes back in the mix

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2020, 09:56 AM
I will bring my recent back-and-forth with lostaussie to this thread:

Me: Playing only one half worked against Graham, but it won't work at high noon next Friday.

It would literally take a miracle for Gilmer to win against Carthage. I just hope we can hold the margin of defeat under what Navasota did to Gilmer in 2012 (39-3).

It is always embarrassing to be blown out on regional television. That's all most people will remember. "You're the hapless team that got blown out on my TV" (or "streaming device" these days). It's a lot like being the losing team in the Super Bowl.

lostaussie: We are there and we need to support the kids for that. It.will be an uphill challenge no doubt. But as a lifelong GILMER BUCKEYE I will be there to support as always.

me: No doubt. You were the one who brought up the Navasota game the other day. That's why it's on my mind.

Surratt is worth even more points than Fedora was for Navasota. Having said that, I will take the "under" and say the Buckeyes CAN come within 36 points of Carthage.

We already came within 28 in September. I think this time, if the Bux play a complete game, we can come within a touchdown or two. But a win WOULD take a miracle. They don't call Surratt the GOAT for no reason.

The good news is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE on the Buckeyes. David versus Goliath was an even match compared to this one.

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2020, 10:01 AM
I am influenced by Grant and Terry on the latest Sideline to Sideline 4A Show.

They said if someone beat Carthage for the state title this year, it would be the biggest upset since Medina Valley upset Daingerfield in 1984.

From 1982-89 Daingerfield sported a 102-8-2 record. To think of powerhouse programs in Texas, Daingerfield has to come to mind. That's why when Castroville Medina Valley shockingly beat Daingerfield 21-13 in the 3A state final in 1984 a Medina Valley player told Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine, "We don't consider it one of the largest upsets ever; we consider it the biggest ever." Medina Valley coach Jack Narrell admitted he was "scared to death of Daingerfield. If we had played them 10 times, that year, we wouldn't have won but one of them. But this was the one." It was five turnovers in that game that prevented the Tigers from taking the 1984 title, only to come back in 1985 and dominate again, going 16-0.

https://www.tdtnews.com/archive/article_f6dfe569-94b7-5836-bd3f-5460853cc293.html#:~:text=That%27s%20why%20when%20 Castroville%20Medina%20Valley%20shockingly%20beat, admitted%20he%20was%20%22scared%20to%20death%20of% 20Daingerfield.

lostaussie
12-12-2020, 11:48 AM
We absolutely belong in this game. The schedule we have played warrants that. Heck, we beat Lindale who is playing for the 4AD1 title. Any other year I would be ecstatic about our chances. We will have to play perfectly and probably hope for some turnovers and fortunate breaks. But......you can't freaking win if you aren't there. I will take our chances and let the chips fall where they may. The Buckeyes are a very good team and I am proud of coaches, kids and community. Unfortunately very good may not be good enough this year. We won't give in. And I will be there as a cheerleader as always. Shock the world!!! Lets do this

cougartino
12-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Wish they’d move this to SFA. It would be even wilder!

cowboyandchrist
12-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Two great 4A East Texas programs playing for the championship, you could not ask for anything better.
I think the Dawg D has the opportunity to show the entire state on the biggest stage just how special they really are.
They have dominated every team so far with relentless pressure, bone crushing hits, and a secondary with 23 interceptions.
Gilmer will test this great defense with an outstanding QB and great receivers.
I can assure you coach Surratt, Preston, and staff will have the Dawgs ready for a battle against a well respected Gilmer Buckeyes.
Let’s Go Dawgs 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

Matthew328
12-14-2020, 09:39 AM
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/12/13/gilmer-14-1-vs-carthage-13-0-4a-division-ii-uil-football-state-championship-preview?ref=article_preview_img

lostaussie
12-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Nice article

lostaussie
12-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Since 2004, we... The Army of Buckeyes... have addressed each State Finals Team with a letter of encouragement for each player to read on the bus ride to the game. This is the 6th time such a letter has been addressed. And this is letter our 2020 Buckeyes will receive today from us, complete with a STONE in each envelope!
Send off at the square is at 12:20 today. Game at AT&T Stadium follows 23 hours and 40 minutes later. In person, in your thoughts and prayers, or tuned in from no matter where in the world you may be, the ARMY of Buckeyes needs you tomorrow!

Dear 2020 Gilmer Buckeyes,
This letter is a tradition, started in 2004 and carried on with every State Championship Team since then. Before you head out on this last trip of the season, we want you to know that your Army of Buckeyes are behind you! You are the best of us. You are our sons, our brothers and our PRIDE. No matter what happens Friday, just know that we could not be more proud of you!
We have watched you use your motto to climb your mountain this season. AWTHEED! All Ready. It is something you have lived week by week, day by day, practice by practice, and rep by rep. Your willingness to trust it has gotten you through one of the toughest schedules in 4A football, a D1 “BIG SCHOOL” who is also playing this weekend for a State Championship, Pleasant Grove and a District Title… and now to where only 7 teams in 107 years of football in Gilmer have ever been, playing for a State Championship! WOW! What a journey. What an accomplishment!
You have learned to trust the process that got you here. To trust your coaches, the people around you who truly care about you, and most importantly to trust in each other. You have seen what can happen when each one of you is willing to be selfless, and to SHOW UP and DO YOUR JOB every rep, every play, every day! So when you walk into AT&T Stadium Friday morning, TRUST that what got you here is all you need to walk out as champions!
You know your opponent well. Carthage is Carthage. They are our “Lion” to hunt… and our Goliath to slay. You will find that this will not be the last time in life when you have to find a way to be your best when it counts the most. But remember, when David stepped out to face Goliath, he trusted in what God had done to make him ALL READY for the task. God gave him lions and bears to face that were trying to steal his sheep… and David dealt with them and grew from the experience. Those tests helped him develop his skills with his sling and staff, as he spent countless hours in the field practicing... rep after rep. Sound familiar? Check the names on your Black Flag. Right there are the names of the “Tests” God has given you to make you ALL READY for THIS! Eagles, Lions, Hawks, Bears… seen them all, beat them all. Tests taken; Tests passed. You are ready. ALL READY.
David also left behind all the things that a “normal warrior” would never be without. He took no armor. He took no sword or shield. He also left his emotions behind, he left all of his fear, his anxiety, and any thoughts that would distract him from his task. He only carried into battle what he knew he really needed; TRUST in God’s preparation, a sling, a staff, and five, smooth stones. Now ask yourself; why 5?
Was David planning to miss a lot? Do you think he was nervous facing a man 5 times his size, laughing at him and screaming about ripping him apart? I BET HE WAS! But in that moment, David’s TRUST in what got him there was bigger than any other emotions he was feeling. Goliath’s armor, weapons, smack talk and “undefeated swagger” didn’t measure up to David’s TRUST that he was ALL READY. He put his emotions aside, ignored where he was or who was watching, loaded his sling, locked in and TOOK HIS SHOT!
And all God needed was ONE STONE to change EVERYTHING!
So believe us when we say, GOD has prepared you for this moment in your life! You are bringing an ARMY to this fight and we are right behind you! LET US CARRY YOUR EMOTIONS, so you can be free to FILL THIS GAME WITH INTENSITY! All you have to do is FOCUS YOUR SKILLS and BE THE STONE!
Then we’ll see how big “Goliath’s” really is… big enough to fit on our Black Flag? Then we’ll see how good “Goliath” really is… good enough to BEAT OUR BEST? And we’ll see if “Goliath” can handle a storm of 60 stones for 48 minutes of ALL READY!

Sincerely,

Your ARMY of Buckeyes

44INAROW
12-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Good Luck Buckeyes.... GATA tonight....... :cheerl:

lostaussie
12-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Good Luck Buckeyes.... GATA tonight....... :cheerl:

Tomorrow

44INAROW
12-17-2020, 03:28 PM
I know that DUH we are watching Hallettsville tonight.... Good Luck Tomorrow :)

Saggy Aggie
12-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Back to back pick6s will do it. Ouch

44INAROW
12-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Back to back pick6s will do it. Ouch

Yep, Darn it - I really wanted Gilmer to win this one... Carthage is a beast - no doubt...

cougartino
12-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Especially in D2. I think they’re bored.

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Yep, Darn it - I really wanted Gilmer to win this one... Carthage is a beast - no doubt...

Yeah, I predicted this would happen. It sucks being right.

44INAROW
12-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I predicted this would happen. It sucks being right.

:ack!::iagree:

Saggy Aggie
12-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Carthage left no doubt 😳

oldtownag
12-18-2020, 05:04 PM
Check out the new Signature:

oldtownag
12-18-2020, 05:18 PM
The Buckeye's had an awesome season. The Bulldogs were just juggernauts this year. Im sure they will be a force to be reckoned with for a Carthage repeat in 2021.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-18-2020, 05:44 PM
Serious question from someone who has absolutely no dog (no pun intended) in this fight whatsoever....

How the hell is a town like Carthage in 4AD2 after being in 4A (current 5A) for so long?

Same question for Argyle. How are they still 4A considering their location?

oldtownag
12-18-2020, 05:56 PM
I graduated from Carthage in 1985 and we were one of the smallest 4A schools. The school is essentially the same size as it was 35 years ago. Everyone else is growing (city schools) and they are holding steady.

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Serious question from someone who has absolutely no dog (no pun intended) in this fight whatsoever....

How the hell is a town like Carthage in 4AD2 after being in 4A (current 5A) for so long?

Same question for Argyle. How are they still 4A considering their location?

Carthage High School enrollment has been steady to slightly declining for years. Natural gas industry used to be booming. Now, not so much.

In fact, Gilmer High School's enrollment is now nearly as much as Carthage's. I happened to look this up an hour ago. Carthage enrollment is 759. You had to have 865 students to remain in 4A Division I at the latest realignment.

So Carthage is in D2 to stay. This will make it fairly easy for Surratt to go into double digits in terms of state titles. Basically, he will win state every year from now on as long as he has enough native talent and new talent moving in.

Argyle, I've read, WILL go up to 5A before too much longer. The posater "regaleagle' is the expert on that topic.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-18-2020, 06:21 PM
So Carthage is in D2 to stay. This will make it fairly easy for Surratt to go into double digits in terms of state titles. Basically, he will win state every year from now on as long as he has enough native talent and new talent moving in.

So in other words, the rest of the state shouldn't bother trying?

Oh well, it's not like my team was ever going to make it to that level anyway. You know, Rio Grande Valley problems and such. We got close 3 times.....

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Gilmer will keep trying. So will Pleasant Grove. Pleasant Grove draws in talent from three counties and two states now, so they will probably make the stiffest challenge to Carthage next year.

d0tc0m
12-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Celina will give it a go next year as well.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-18-2020, 09:26 PM
Pleasant Grove draws in talent from three counties and two states now, so they will probably make the stiffest challenge to Carthage next year.

But wait. Isn't that like, illegal or something? Something about transferring in for athletics purposes?

Or do the rules not apply to bEAST TX?

Matthew328
12-19-2020, 01:24 AM
But wait. Isn't that like, illegal or something? Something about transferring in for athletics purposes?

Or do the rules not apply to bEAST TX?

Pleasant Grove is open enrollment if memory serves so people can send their kids to school there and not live in the district boundries etc...once they are there for a year they've established residency and can play....so many parents often send the kids to school there in middle school etc..establish residency and no issues

Next year is probably Argyle's last go round in 4A unless the cut line jumps a lot

Caveman
12-19-2020, 09:14 AM
Argyle will be moving up after the next count.

Old Green
12-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Great season Buckeyes ! Congratulations Bulldogs on another championship! Enjoyed keeping up and watching both teams this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
12-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Argyle will be moving up after the next count.

Eagles will be just fine at the 5A level.

oldtownag
12-20-2020, 08:54 PM

I'm just saying.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2020, 09:49 PM

I'm just saying.

So you’re saying it should’ve been 70-7? Lol

oldtownag
12-21-2020, 09:22 AM
So you’re saying it should’ve been 70-7? Lol

Dawg pile! lol