PDA

View Full Version : Sideline to Sideline 4A Week 7 Show

Gsquared
10-07-2020, 06:47 AM
https://lonestargridiron.com/2020/10/4a-week-7-100620/

d0tc0m
10-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Great conversation about Carthage's run. The most comparable small-school run to me is Celina.

From 1995-2008, the Bobcats won 7 state titles, played in two others, won 68 games in a row (98-2001), AND played in four straight state championship games TWICE (98-01, 05-08). Not to mention, they were a breath away from winning in 2006, were one missed tackle from probably beating Carthage in 2008.

And the 1996-97, 2002-04 teams were all pretty good, just ran into really, really good teams in the postseason. If Celina had not been bumped up to 3A in 2002 alignment, there's a HIGH chance the Bobcats would have won six straight titles (98-2003) and had who knows how long of a winning streak.

What makes Carthage's run a bit more impressive, in my opinion, is the strength of their non-district schedule. They play heavyweights, and they keep on winning. Not to mention, and maybe this is just me, but it seems like there's way more parity in the game today than there was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Gsquared
10-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Man, Celina back in those days, you needed 15 guys on the field to beat them. I miss those teams.

d0tc0m
10-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Man, Celina back in those days, you needed 15 guys on the field to beat them. I miss those teams.

Those were some really, really fun teams, and some really, really fun years. Would love to see the Bobcats get ALL the way back to that level again.

Dawgs
10-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Great conversation about Carthage's run. The most comparable small-school run to me is Celina.

From 1995-2008, the Bobcats won 7 state titles, played in two others, won 68 games in a row (98-2001), AND played in four straight state championship games TWICE (98-01, 05-08). Not to mention, they were a breath away from winning in 2006, were one missed tackle from probably beating Carthage in 2008.

And the 1996-97, 2002-04 teams were all pretty good, just ran into really, really good teams in the postseason. If Celina had not been bumped up to 3A in 2002 alignment, there's a HIGH chance the Bobcats would have won six straight titles (98-2003) and had who knows how long of a winning streak.

What makes Carthage's run a bit more impressive, in my opinion, is the strength of their non-district schedule. They play heavyweights, and they keep on winning. Not to mention, and maybe this is just me, but it seems like there's way more parity in the game today than there was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

That was a great game in 2008. And besides the Graham game the next year, those were the only 2 state championship games that have really been in question.

But I don’t think Celina was 1 missed tackle from winning that game. Carthage lead 42-25 and 49-31 in the 4ty quarter before winning by a final of 49-37. Celina played a great game, But I have to disagree they were 1 play from winning the game.

Still remember Troy McCartney. That dude was a football player. He did it all.

d0tc0m
10-08-2020, 12:01 PM
That was a great game in 2008. And besides the Graham game the next year, those were the only 2 state championship games that have really been in question.

But I don’t think Celina was 1 missed tackle from winning that game. Carthage lead 42-25 and 49-31 in the 4ty quarter before winning by a final of 49-37. Celina played a great game, But I have to disagree they were 1 play from winning the game.

Still remember Troy McCartney. That dude was a football player. He did it all.

It really was a great game!

It was actually a one-possession game late in the 4th quarter. Carthage had not stopped Celina's offense much in the second half (and Celina hadn't stopped Carthage much at all). The Bobcats had Carthage in a 4th-and-2ish (can't remember exact yardage) near midfield. The Dawgs went for it and ran their signature play (don't know exact verbiage), where Blackshire faked the sweep/toss to the strong side, and instead quick-pitched back to Smith on the weak side. Our senior DB, who was very good, was unblocked and in the backfield 1-on-1 with Smith. He honestly made a great effort, but he just had no chance to bring down Smith. If he had been able to corral Smith behind the line, at least until help arrived, and Celina had made the stop, who knows. But he couldn't and Smith broke off a 50ish-yard TD run to essentially put the game away.

And I will still say, Dwight Smith is far and away the best, most talented player Carthage has ever had. I know you guys love Ingram and Dixon, with good reason, but neither of them were on the level of Smith, in my opinion. To this day, he is the most naturally gifted, God-ordained talent I've seen at the HS level, and I got to see Quan Cosby play against Celina back in 2000. Dwight Smith ran like an NFL talent as a teenager, man. His vision. His speed. His patience. His explosiveness. His cuts. His brute strength and power. It was honestly unreal to watch. Never seen a kid like that run the football, and I've seen some good ones, including some incredible Celina RBs, like Mr. McCartney, who you mentioned.

Dawgs
10-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Smith was a man. It was just that he did it only 1 year. We love Ingram, Dixon, and a lot of those others guys from the 2016-2017 era because they did it for so long.

But I agree, Smith is the most dominant to ever play at Carthage. If he had any kind of support or push in the right direction, he would be in the NFL right now. Ingram is good at Texas, and I think he would be a lot better at a school that actually developed talent and put them in a position to succeed (wish he would’ve chosen Ohio St), sorry I digress. Physically Ingram and Smith weren’t really close. Smith was bigger, faster and stronger. Just facts. Ingram is such a great young man, and we all love him. But that is just the truth about Smith. He was one if the best HS players I have ever seen. We have seen a lot of NFL talent watching games thru the years, and Smith was better than all of them.

He was like a dream. He came out of nowhere, and then just kinda disappeared. That could be one of those great “what if” stories. Bad part is there is a lot of those kind of stories in East Texas. We have unbelievable players, but rarely do they fulfill their full potential at the next level. Sad really.

d0tc0m
10-08-2020, 12:31 PM
No question, man. Smith was the complete package, and then some. An honest-to-God once-in-a-lifetime player. Carthage will likely never have another athlete like that, and they have an overwhelming amount of talent!

You really do hate stories like that, where the young man had the world in front of him, and could have had all that, with the right support system around him. Football or no football, I hope the young man has found some direction at this point in his life and is doing well in whatever it is he's doing.

Fun thought: Which Carthage defense would have had the best chance of stopping/slowing down Smith? 2017? 2020? I honestly think he would have run all over any of them, which is saying something, but who knows.

oldtownag
10-08-2020, 01:44 PM
We likely have had more talented teams. But I agree, Dwight Smith had the most individual talent.

Crazy all these plays were in one season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7se80fl6CHA

Dawgs
10-08-2020, 01:47 PM
No question, man. Smith was the complete package, and then some. An honest-to-God once-in-a-lifetime player. Carthage will likely never have another athlete like that, and they have an overwhelming amount of talent!

You really do hate stories like that, where the young man had the world in front of him, and could have had all that, with the right support system around him. Football or no football, I hope the young man has found some direction at this point in his life and is doing well in whatever it is he's doing.

Fun thought: Which Carthage defense would have had the best chance of stopping/slowing down Smith? 2017? 2020? I honestly think he would have run all over any of them, which is saying something, but who knows.

Don’t know if any could’ve stopped him, but I would rank them 2017, 2009 and 2019 in that order to have the best chance. That 2008 team could block. The line blocked it’s butt off, and they had some dudes. That might have been the best blocking WR group Carthage has had.

2017 had the best LB. 2009 had the best DL. 2019 was good everywhere, but did not have the overall talent that those other 2 had. William, Thompson, McKee and Brantley in 2009. Gates, Brown, Colbert and Dejulian in 2017. Those were some straight dudes. 2019 had guys everywhere, but not the top end talent the other 2 had.

Dawgs
10-08-2020, 02:03 PM
We likely have had more talented teams. But I agree, Dwight Smith had the most individual talent.

Crazy. That’s some of the best highlights you will find. Man he was fast. That game against Gilmer his speed was on full display. That was when Gilmer was rolling and bEast Texas speed was on full display. He made those boys look slow. Thanks for posting. Great memories.

d0tc0m
10-08-2020, 02:30 PM

I mean, that's just insane. So freaking smooth, and graceful, but violent and explosive at the same time. Quite literally unstoppable.

The play I referenced earlier is at 12:12ish in that video. Just an fyi.