PDA

View Full Version : Early Early Top 10 for next year?

Matthew328
02-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Ok I am kinda shootin from the hip on this one..I don't have a lot of info on any teams yet so this is based on the little knowledge I have...so don't rip me a new one if you don't agree..just post what you think..

1. Everman
2. Commerce
3. Jasper
4. LaGrange
5. Sinton
6. Bridgeport
7. Forney
8. Marlin
9. Newton
10. Vernon

toby070
02-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Burnet has to be a top 10 team. They will score a ton of points, and most of their defense is back too.

eye of the tiger
02-06-2002, 05:06 PM
Looks good to me.

Old Cardinal
02-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Very very Early- (1) Jasper (2) Everman (3) Kennedale (4) Bridge City (5) Newton (6) Sinton (7) LaGrange (8) Snyder (9) Gatesville (10) Vernon I have not had time to study all the 4A drop downs that might be high in the mix.....

footballmaniac
02-06-2002, 10:26 PM
I would include Perryton in your early picks. Talk about losing alot of talent, I believe Vernon is doing just that. Being all the way up in the top of the panhandle for some reason doesn't help gain us any respect.I know the coaches will put together another great package for this coming season.

kaorder1999
02-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Hmm...interesting!!!

cl8114
02-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Old Card like the perdictions. A lot of region 3 teams in the mix. I think Region 3 has the best over all football in class AAA. I think Gatesville is a well deserved 9 spot. They have basically their whole team coming back. With Thayer and Phillips in the back field and on D they will be hard to stop.

SintonFan
02-07-2002, 05:16 AM
ya gotta shoot from the hip on such an early top ten list. no offense, but such early lists are gonna be so different from the final results. then again, speculation never really hurt anyone.

SintonFan
02-07-2002, 05:20 AM
mat, at least you have my team ranked three spots better than anyone did last season in the preseason poll. missin football huh? me too...

Old Cardinal
02-07-2002, 01:23 PM
To Footballmaniac: I had a hard time not putting Perryton into the place of Vernon-you may well be right, they are returning heavy and were a final four Division I last year.......Who is Vernon and Perryton playing in Preseason? Let's watch them close and see who rises to the top!

cowdog
02-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Perryton is playing Pampa, Dumas, and Guymon Okla. all 4a schools and Canadian. They are still working on the fifth game.

fatcat255
02-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Matt's Top 10 is as good as any other this early, lots of good programs on his list.

Keep an eye on Longview Spring Hill. Awesome RB JaMario Thomas returning along with one-half of the two-man QB tandem, most of the o-line, kicker, and 6 starters on defense along with 4 other defensive players who filled in near equally for those who are departing.

Key players lost received some mention on at least one of the all-state teams are LB, OL,DB,Rec,Punter.

If this offense can replace 2 linemen and a receiver, there will be tons of points put on the board. Defense will miss Henderson State signee Jon Jett at LB but will still be very good with 2 excellent LB's returning and lots of experience coming back.

Tatum will be another to look at with very good QB and WR returning in this 30-40 pass per game offense.

Tyler Chapel Hill is always loaded with athletes and should be pretty tough having dropped down from a very good 4A district.

Adidas410s
02-10-2002, 05:44 AM
I saw earlier that someone had Snyder in the top 10. Not to be rude, but are you kidding? I highly doubt that they even win their district. Sweetwater will be very tough and I hear that Merkel should be even better. Just because you come down from 4A doesnt always mean you dominate 3A.

gdornon11
02-10-2002, 12:40 PM
what about bellville?

Old Cardinal
02-10-2002, 04:26 PM
To Adiddas 410S----I put Snyder in 8th place because they went 4-3 and 6-4 in a fair 4A District.... they beat 4A monahans 48-0 in preseason, plus Littlefield 28-7. They look pretty skilled for an entry into 3A.....Your Sweetwater 3-2 in a weak 3A district and your Merkel 2-3 in a weak 3A district seems very puzzling to me- I would think most 2A teams from region III or II could take them next year...

Matthew328
02-10-2002, 05:06 PM
Snyder will be OK but not top 10...the Monahans team they beat 48-0 was 3A..and Monahans was like 1-9 or something like that..Snyder lost to Wylie last year also...but I think Snyder will win district and have a chance to make a lil noise in Region 1..but with Everman, Wylie and Canyon out in Region 1 it'll be tough

Adidas410s
02-10-2002, 07:24 PM
OldCardinal - Why would you say that 5-3A is a weak district? Also, I am not from Sweetwater. I actually graduated from Wylie. Their district had 3 teams ranked in the top 10 last season in Ballinger, Sweetwater, and Wylie. Merkel was a good team that played good games against Wylie, Ballinger, and Sweetwater. It is hard to expect the Merkel kids to be used to big time games when they havent made the playoffs since 1966 (i think that is when it was!). I am just hearing good things from them. With Snyder, they always seem to be a decent team, but nothing excpetional. I have seen them play at least once now for the last 5 years and they are usually a team that can give others trouble. Who knows, maybe they will step it up a notch next year!

vet93
02-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Old Card...I think that your quote about 5-3a being a weak district is a little over-stated. Sweetwater did quite well in the playoffs losing by an eyelash to a good Kennedale team. Ballinger lost to a good Bridgeport team and Wylie lost to a good Vernon team that was highly motivated to erase the previous years spanking. Merkel played all of these teams tough. I do not think that 5-3a proved to be a powerhouse district, but I also would not have characterized them as weak. The 2a comment was a little out of hand. To say that these teams would lose to "most" 2a teams from Regions II and III is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
To Adiddas 410S----I put Snyder in 8th place because they went 4-3 and 6-4 in a fair 4A District.... they beat 4A monahans 48-0 in preseason, plus Littlefield 28-7. They look pretty skilled for an entry into 3A.....Your Sweetwater 3-2 in a weak 3A district and your Merkel 2-3 in a weak 3A district seems very puzzling to me- I would think most 2A teams from region III or II could take them next year...

sinton66
02-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Gdornon11, I agree, Bellville should definitely be in the top ten. They didn't lose any skill players that I know of. They should be the team to beat out of R3.

oldbuff78
02-11-2002, 01:47 PM
what about Cameron? They should be a tough team also!!

Old Cardinal
02-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Matt 328, Everman is not in Reg. I they are in 10-3A, Region 2-I am old, I have an excuse for making mistakes......To the West Texas folks in Region I..Sorry I was not impressed with the Dist. mentioned this year-but I see your point, they were all eliminated by decent 3A teams in the playoffs....I personally have not seen Snyder in a few years. But they impressed me as a smaller 4A that would do well in 3A...I saw them play a great game against Andrews a few years ago. Guess we will all have to wait and see...

Matthew328
02-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Actually next year Everman will be in Region 1...District 8-3A

deliriousmaniac
02-11-2002, 07:04 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the RB from Vernon is the only returning starter, maybe one more. I dont' know how good they will be.

MustangFan03
02-14-2002, 10:23 AM
How can you say Sweetwater is not a team to watch and that most east Texas teams could beat them. All they have comong back is 8 Defensive 9 Offensive starters back from a 9-3 team that was coached by a first year coach. And dont forget that their QB was good for over 2300 all-purpose yards. This team has been young for the last two years and this year will be their breakout year.They have on of the toughest schedules i have seen in a long time with Andrews, Mid. Greenwood, Vernon, Ab. Wylie, Graham all before dist. All these teams were in the post-season and the 3a teams were all ranked sometime last season. Snyder drops to 3a and gets noticed right away. Sweetwater dropped just 2yrs ago and nobody seems to know. Sweetwater will back to form like they were in 4a and everyone will notice this year. Too much talent on this team for people not to notice. So wake up people, the Stangs are on the move!

MustangFan03
02-14-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by vet93:
Old Card...I think that your quote about 5-3a being a weak district is a little over-stated. Sweetwater did quite well in the playoffs losing by an eyelash to a good Kennedale team. Ballinger lost to a good Bridgeport team and Wylie lost to a good Vernon team that was highly motivated to erase the previous years spanking. Merkel played all of these teams tough. I do not think that 5-3a proved to be a powerhouse district, but I also would not have characterized them as weak. The 2a comment was a little out of hand. To say that these teams would lose to "most" 2a teams from Regions II and III is ridiculous.

i agree! Sweetwater dominated the same district that Snyder is coming from. The one with Andrews, Big Spring, Frenship,and the others.And they were allways the smaller school.

Adidas410s
02-14-2002, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE]Snyder drops to 3a and gets noticed right away. Sweetwater dropped just 2yrs ago and nobody seems to know. Sweetwater will back to form like they were in 4a and everyone will notice this year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the last couple years that Sweetwater was in 4A, they were nothing more than mediocore at best. They had Willie Amos and that was about it. Also, there was a lot made about Sweetwater when they moved down 2 years ago. Everyone talked about how they would dominate Region 1 and almost everyone picked them to win district. There was a lot of talk about how great they were until they went to Wylie and got beat pretty soundly (31-0 or 35-0 I believe). I dont know how you can say that Sweetwater didnt get any respect when they came down to 3A. Make sure that you have the right info before you start complaining that Snyder gets all the recognition and that the mustangs never got any!

Ktown2004
02-14-2002, 03:25 PM
To bad Sweetwater couldnt hold on at the end of the Kennedale game. What happened just out maned. Sweetwater wouldnt face Kennedale till the State Championship this year, i believe thats correct. Ill give it to Sweetwater they were good last year but its a new year.

gdornon11
02-17-2002, 02:10 PM
sinton66,thanks for recognizing bellville.it looks like we arent getting any respect again this year.the only skill player lost was our tailback craig harris who was a big part of our offense