PDA

View Full Version : Football

stardog
08-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Football (some) gets started Monday 8/3 !!!

stardog
08-05-2020, 08:26 AM
First casualty to the virus. Taft had a player at first day of practice Monday 8/3 test positive for covid-19. All practice activities cancelled for at least 14 days.

d0tc0m
08-05-2020, 09:20 AM
First casualty to the virus. Taft had a player at first day of practice Monday 8/3 test positive for covid-19. All practice activities cancelled for at least 14 days.

Sheesh, 14 days seems a bit heavy.

Yoe_09
08-05-2020, 09:28 AM
This was the point I brought up several weeks ago in another thread. What were school districts going to do when ONE player tested positive? I did not think it was viable to shut things down for 14 days. If this happens in the middle of district are you just simply going to forfeit 2 games? First round of the playoffs?

d0tc0m
08-05-2020, 09:42 AM
This was the point I brought up several weeks ago in another thread. What were school districts going to do when ONE player tested positive? I did not think it was viable to shut things down for 14 days. If this happens in the middle of district are you just simply going to forfeit 2 games? First round of the playoffs?

For sure. And are you going to keep ALL of those kids out of school for that 14 days? That's just not sustainable by any means.

Aesculus gilmus
08-05-2020, 10:35 AM
Trump just said children are immune. So if they test positive, that is fake news. He did concede older teachers past a certain age should be allowed to teach from home. Otherwise, suck it up, buttercup. Trump got 82.5 percent of the vote in this county. So if he said it, that settles it.

lostaussie
08-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Should only have to shutdown kids for 14 days with DIRECT EXPOSURE. The CDC defines direct exposure and you can look it up. Shutting the whole program down makes no sense, but oh well.

stardog
08-05-2020, 11:21 AM
There was a positive case "at" football practice. Those student athletes who attended were ask to self-quarantine for 14 days per UIL/CDC guidelines. So if any player has symptoms and does not expose others until they are cleared then everyone else can continue on.

Celina8
08-05-2020, 11:45 AM
This is what I was saying also a few weeks ago . It just takes one to be exposed and 90% of the time I am willing to bet they have been around other players, coaches, teachers , school friends . The UIL guidelines are so broad as to try and cover all possible liability for COVID that I think it just make an entire season almost impossible for any school. We are being told at work that even if you have been around some one who has tested positive that it might take the full 10 to 14 days before it could actually show in you and still you not have any signs or symptoms . With that it would seem that you would need to have the kids , and Coaches all tested at the end of the 14 day period or just prior to the end of the 14 day period.

Caveman
08-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Trump just said children are immune. So if they test positive, that is fake news. He did concede older teachers past a certain age should be allowed to teach from home. Otherwise, suck it up, buttercup. Trump got 82.5 percent of the vote in this county. So if he said it, that settles it.

Sorry, I have to call BS on these numbers. Trump won 54% of the electoral college vote and 46% of the popular vote. I don't know where you get your numbers, but they sure don't correspond to the FACTS.

Aesculus gilmus
08-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I have to call BS on these numbers. Trump won 54% of the electoral college vote and 46% of the popular vote. I don't know where you get your numbers, but they sure don't correspond to the FACTS.

The numbers are from my county and I actually underestimated it a bit.
https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/texas/
Upshur County
Close
100% Reporting
R D. Trump
82.9%
D H. Clinton
14.9%
L G. Johnson
1.8%
G J. Stein
0.4%
Detailed Results

stardog
08-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Facebook removed Trump post over coronavirus misinformation. Facebook took down a video by Trump in which he said children are "almost immune" to COVID-19, with the company saying it violated its rules against sharing 'MISINFORMATION' about the coronavirus.

stardog
08-05-2020, 07:31 PM
CDC now says need to only quarantine for 10 days.

Aesculus gilmus
08-06-2020, 04:50 AM
CDC now says need to only quarantine for 10 days.

We in Upshur County don't do quarantines - or even masks, for that matter.

Our Sheriff and other law people here are on the side of Team Trump. There is no virus. FAKE NEWS! DEMOCRAT HOAX!

All kidding aside, if Abbott ever tried another "shelter in place" order, not only would people here disobey it; there'd probably be a posse head to Austin to wheel him off the cliff of Mount Bonnell into Lake Austin.

In fairness to us, there have only been two deaths in a county of 41,000+ and I think both were fairly elderly.

No one has ever been hospitalized for it in this county either. Okay, that's because we have no hospitals. Still true, though.

As an evangelical woman posted on Twitter the other day, "Why is everyone so afraid to die!"

d0tc0m
08-06-2020, 06:47 AM

Our Sheriff and other law people here are on the side of Team Trump. There is no virus. FAKE NEWS! DEMOCRAT HOAX!

All kidding aside, if Abbott ever tried another "shelter in place" order, not only would people here disobey it; there'd probably be a posse head to Austin to wheel him off the cliff of Mount Bonnell into Lake Austin.

In fairness to us, there have only been two deaths in a county of 41,000+ and I think both were fairly elderly.

No one has ever been hospitalized for it in this county either. Okay, that's because we have no hospitals. Still true, though.

As an evangelical woman posted on Twitter the other day, "Why is everyone so afraid to die!"

As Hemingway famously said, "Death is like an old whore in a bar — I'll buy her a drink, but I won't go upstairs with her."

stardog
08-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Skidmore-Tyran suspended football last week - Sunday night Beeville suspended football indefinitely - and today (Monday) 2A-1 Ben Bolt became first school to cancell it's football season along with their volleyball.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Wonder how it's going to be handle once the playoffs start if we get that far if a team has to be quarantine just before a match up, do they get eliminated?

stardog
08-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Another one down - Pleasanton ISD has temporarily suspended their football practices after a member of the high school program tested positive for the coronia virus. They will be shutdown for 14 days. First day back for practice could be 8/26. Their first game is scheduled at home 8/28 against Hondo.

stardog
08-13-2020, 07:16 PM
Poteet ISD suspended extracurricular activities this week after a ' breach ' of protocols during a photo sessions with football players. A school official who was present later tested positive. Activities were suspended for the week out of abundance of caution. Activities are expected to resume 8/17.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-13-2020, 09:05 PM
Aug 11
Due to the rise in cases in Bee County and a few positive cases in Beeville ISD, all activities for students will be suspended indefinitely. Our goal is to resume practices and activities as soon as possible after we conduct contact tracing to ensure all staff and students are safe. As always, our first priority is safety.

Aug 12
Trojans to resume practice tomorrow morning August 13th

waterboy
08-14-2020, 08:05 AM

I thank God every day that the vast majority of people in our county don't "think" the way you do.:crazy:

Aesculus gilmus
08-15-2020, 06:58 PM
I never gave any indication what I think, but I believe I accurately summarized the thinking of most Upshur County residents.

If you want to argue with someone, hit up the guy from Celina who lives in Springfield, Mo.

He'll debate you 'til the last dog dies.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-15-2020, 09:05 PM
An influx of COVID cases at Navarro ISD has forced the Panthers to put their football program temporarily on hold.
The district has confirmed 18 positive cases — 10 staff members and eight extracurricular students
Navarro suspends football program until Aug. 24
An influx of COVID cases at Navarro ISD has forced the Panthers to put their football program temporarily on hold.
http://seguingazette.com/alert/article_f8e6cb92-df14-11ea-8c91-6fccaa79b597.html

d0tc0m
08-16-2020, 08:42 AM
I never gave any indication what I think, but I believe I accurately summarized the thinking of most Upshur County residents.

If you want to argue with someone, hit up the guy from Celina who lives in Springfield, Mo.

He'll debate you 'til the last dog dies.

Awww thanks for the shoutout AG!

d0tc0m
08-16-2020, 08:47 AM
The district has confirmed 18 positive cases — 10 staff members and eight extracurricular students
Navarro suspends football program until Aug. 24
http://seguingazette.com/alert/article_f8e6cb92-df14-11ea-8c91-6fccaa79b597.html

Yikes. Top 10 program having to put things on hold. That'll make that opener against Calhoun a bit tougher. Hopefully all the Panthers get healthy quickly and they can get the things back on track.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-16-2020, 08:49 AM
Yikes. Top 10 program having to put things on hold. That'll make that opener against Calhoun a bit tougher. Hopefully all the Panthers get healthy quickly and they can get the things back on track.

Calhoun game is canceled.

d0tc0m
08-16-2020, 09:03 AM
Calhoun game is canceled.

Yep, my bad. Saw the part about the Devine scrimmage and breezed right past the PLC game. Poor reading comprehension on my part.

Celina8
08-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Was texted by friends of mine that Celina and Boerne will play each other on Friday Oct 2 in San Antonio. Wow , that is quite a traveling trip for my Bobcats especially on a Friday . I wish it was being played on Saturday and they were meeting in Temple or Waco as to me Celina is accepting the bulk of the travel and expenses that come with this trip to play a non -district game .

d0tc0m
08-18-2020, 12:14 PM
Was texted by friends of mine that Celina and Boerne will play each other on Friday Oct 2 in San Antonio. Wow , that is quite a traveling trip for my Bobcats especially on a Friday . I wish it was being played on Saturday and they were meeting in Temple or Waco as to me Celina is accepting the bulk of the travel and expenses that come with this trip to play a non -district game .

It's a unique "home-and-home" setup. Boerne will travel next year and play the Bobcats at The Star in Frisco.

Celina8
08-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Oh wow that is great then. I really wish this was being played on Saturday but hopefully work will not be such that I cannot make it to the game .

SintonFan_inAustin
08-18-2020, 03:19 PM
2 more hr drive could of played Sinton in Sinton. Pirates looking for Oct. 2nd opponent.

Celina8
08-18-2020, 04:00 PM
You all need to play Refugio as they are just right there and I think that used to be a big rivalry many years ago! (Actually you might already have them scheduled ! LOL)

SintonFan_inAustin
08-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Pleasanton’s football practices were shut down due to virus
Ingleside shut down indefinitely and Kenedy til Aug 27th

d0tc0m
08-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Oh wow that is great then. I really wish this was being played on Saturday but hopefully work will not be such that I cannot make it to the game .

Well nothing beats seeing a game in person, but with the UIL lifting the restriction on streaming Friday night games this season, you should get a chance to see this one — and possibly all Bobcats football games — through some type of webcast. I haven't heard anything about Celina's plans for streaming. I don't know if Mark and Roy, who handle the radio play-by-play/color, would consider doing the same thing, just with video now, or not. I really wish I still lived in the area, because with my background in Broadcast Journalism, I'd love to take the reins on the whole thing. If the schools are forward thinking enough and have the means to do it, they could incorporate the Friday night streaming into their journalism/media class curriculum.

Celina8
08-19-2020, 12:35 PM
It sounds like to me from what you just described this will be the future of High School football at some point and I too would love to be able to pay a season fee to login and watch my home team play on Friday night . You should at least pitch the idea to them and who knows even with you living out of state you might be able to still make this work. Give it some thought !

Twirling Time
08-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Boerne is a big 4A, just shy of 1200 enrollment. That is who Celina needs to be playing. They'll be better than Bryan Adams. :evilgrin:

d0tc0m
08-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Boerne is a big 4A, just shy of 1200 enrollment. That is who Celina needs to be playing. They'll be better than Bryan Adams. :evilgrin:

Agreed. Celina’s non-district slate is pretty solid this year. Paul Pewitt is iffy, but I guess they were state runner up a year ago.

I still wish the Bobcats would play Sherman or Denison. Won’t happen, until Celina catches them in enrollment, but still, would be a good matchup.

YTBulldogs
08-20-2020, 06:08 AM
this will be the future of High School football at some point and I too would love to be able to pay a season fee to login and watch my home team play on Friday night .

Unless UIL can figure how they can make their money off football (more than the fan's in the stands format) ---live streaming will only be a one year option, as they stated.

Matthew328
08-20-2020, 11:49 AM
UIL doesnt make money off regular season games...the revenue and rights belong to the schools....
Ironically the UIL makes all their money off playoff games which they do allow streaming (except the state title games)

Twirling Time
08-21-2020, 06:43 PM
Agreed. Celina’s non-district slate is pretty solid this year. Paul Pewitt is iffy, but I guess they were state runner up a year ago.

I still wish the Bobcats would play Sherman or Denison. Won’t happen, until Celina catches them in enrollment, but still, would be a good matchup.

Celina and Denison might be in the same district in 4 years. Sherman ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT play Celina until they have to.

d0tc0m
08-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Celina and Denison might be in the same district in 4 years. Sherman ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT play Celina until they have to.

Well, that's too bad lol! Celina vs. Denison would be fairly competitive, I think ... until the Bobcats catch the Jackets in enrollment, then maybe not so much.

sinfan75
08-23-2020, 08:33 AM
That used to be THE game to see every year. Be nice to see them play each other again but doubt that ever happens.

Celina8
08-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Was told by a friend who went to the Celina / Decatur scrimmage that both teams really worked on their passing game , and that both sides worked a lot of different players at several position. He said both teams were rusty since they basically did not have a chance for spring training or 7 on 7 and that the Coaches kept the play calling very basic . He said Celina has good size on the line and seemed to be very quick on defense . Neither team ran the ball much as he was not sure as to why , but that both teams had great effort and positive moments on both side of the ball . He said it was different to see the distance that people sat in the stands as he is used to seeing people sitting beside each other as they visit and watch the game.

d0tc0m
08-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Was told by a friend who went to the Celina / Decatur scrimmage that both teams really worked on their passing game , and that both sides worked a lot of different players at several position. He said both teams were rusty since they basically did not have a chance for spring training or 7 on 7 and that the Coaches kept the play calling very basic . He said Celina has good size on the line and seemed to be very quick on defense . Neither team ran the ball much as he was not sure as to why , but that both teams had great effort and positive moments on both side of the ball . He said it was different to see the distance that people sat in the stands as he is used to seeing people sitting beside each other as they visit and watch the game.

Good to hear another perspective. A couple of folks I talked to said the Bobcats' passing game looked pretty good, given no 7-on-7 and breaking in a new — albeit senior — quarterback. Reagan Davenport will take over under center, and he will be the best passing QB Celina has had for quite some time. The kid can spin the football. It could be that the coaches wanted to get him AMPLE reps against live varsity competition before Friday's opener against Melissa. Both people I talked to said he hooked up on a pair of lonnnng TD passes to 6'7 senior receiver DJ Dell'Anno. This young man was very under-utilized a year ago. But he's a matchup nightmare, so I suspect he'll get plenty of good looks this season. Collin Urich is another name to look out for at receiver, along with speedy Grayson Wester. The Bobcats have a lot of offensive weapons. The key will be that offensive line. They are HUGE and they can move pretty good. If they stay healthy, it will buy Davenport time to spread the ball around, which will open up running lanes for Martinez and company in the backfield. The problem last year was our OL was decimated by injury and just never could gel and figure things out. Poor Watson had no time to throw, and Logan Point — as good as he was — could only do so much. That really wore on and had a residual effect on the defense, too. Most of that defense is back, along with a trio of junior LBs that has potential to be great. The defensive line is very big and athletic, and the secondary has a ton of speed. The big takeaways I saw (on the very, very small bit of film I managed to see) on defense was how quick the Bobcats played, how physical they were, and how disciplined the defensive line looked for the first scrimmage.

One other thing to keep in mind is Celina will have a new offensive coordinator for the first time in a long time. Travis McClain takes over as the OC. He's a younger guy, but I believe he'll bring a dynamic to the Bobcats O that has been missing the past few years. He'll have some creative play calling, and I imagine we'll see the Bobcats spread it out more. But Celina is Celina, and they've got the personnel to get in a traditional full house backfield, or go "unbalanced" with their heavy package, and pound the football when need be.

All-in-all, this has the makings of the best team Celina's had since the 2015 state finalist. If they stay healthy, and if we can get a full season in amidst the current climate, I suspect we'll see the orange and white make AT LEAST a semifinal appearance. Long time until then, but there's a lot to like about this team, and plenty of reason for optimism.

Bosqueville
08-23-2020, 10:43 PM
WOS vs La Vega canceled due to hurricane.. bummer.