PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Franchione Not the Answer?

husker_football_fan
12-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Is this what A&M really needs? Can he recruit more than one solid player each year? He won at TCU in the WAC, won with kids he didn't recruit at Bama. Now he is in the Big 12, and worse for him he is in Texas. Texas - Holiday Bowl, Texas Tech - Houston Bowl, OSU - Cotton Bowl, OU - Sugar Bowl. Those teams are just in the south. Even Houston is bowl bound this year, TCU, North Texas are bowling also. Kids from Texas are wanted by schools all over the nation, and even worse FIVE schools from your own state are bowling? Who knew that there would come a time that five teams from Texas would make bowls, and A&M is not one of them? Give him time, but how much will he need to not only get in a bowl but to win the Big 12?

Brahma73
12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
husker_football_fan:
Give him time, but how much will he need to not only get in a bowl but to win the Big 12?He'll probably win the Big 12 before Mack does? he he :rolleyes:

vet93
12-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Dennis has won (and turned programs around), everywhere he has gone. The recruits that he brought in at TCU are the ones that are having success for them right now. He is a tremendous evaluator of talent and often picks individuals who may not be highly recruited and turns them into players. When all of the players buy into the program, they will be competitive again. If you noticed, there were alot of upper classmen riding the pine to make way for a freshman or soph. who was willing to play. He may not win as much as some believe that he should, but he will be successful if given time. My question to you husker fan...if not Franchione...then who do you think would have been a better candidate given the bleak set of circumstances that you outlined?

husker_football_fan
12-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Well, Nebraksa seems to have some of the same problems, while they are 9-3, that is not good enough. They are looking for someone who relates to what the Nebraska program is. They are looking for some one to run a tough defense, throw the ball a little more but also run, run, run and be good at it. At TCU he could make kids into good athelets, there is a difference playing WAC ball (at the time he was there) and playing Big 12 foes week in, week out. Living in Texas, not being a fan of A&M but I do keep up with there athletics, I would have thought they would bring in someone that is aggie to the bone. Reason: They need that to keep the kids that from little on want to be ags. He has had success, and yes TCU is winning but you put the 8 bowl teams of the Big 12 and give them TCU schedule and they could have a one loss season also. Its a different level. There is better football being played in the MAC than conference USA.

bulldogvet85
12-12-2003, 01:51 PM
ok here is something that I dont understand about fans and other athletic supporters now days. people complain they want a new coach cuz the ones they have now are bad, this goes for high school and college with a little diffrence between them. they get rid of a coach bring in a new one and all of a sudden because the coach didnt win as many games as the fans wanted or didnt make it to a bowl game, or high school for instance didnt make the playoffs or go far in the playoffs then they want you out. Fran has been there one year give it sometime changes ant gonna happen over night it takes time. I have the same problem in my town. The old coach we had for four years his first year there. they missed the playoffs cuz of a three way tie or something. second year made uit to the first round but got knocked out. Third year made school history and got the team past the first round only to get knocked out the second round. his fourth and final year they didnt get in the playoffs. people said he sucked blah blah blah. and he left. they bring in a new coach everyone is excited they lose the first four games. they start trashing him. they end up makingthe playoffs but get killed the first round bad, and they trash him again. he is good coach. but things take time. You will always have up and down seasons such as life. Most times its not the coaches fault youhave kids who are lazy work ethic stinks. disagree with coaches beliefs so they just give up. But after a coach only being there one year and not making the success you wanted doesnt mean you fire him right away. it's like what the spurs kept trying to do for along time before they finally caught on. The spurs kept tryingto build a championship team just for the year they would bring in vets and hope to win a championship with them, when what they needed to do all along was. gt some youth on the team with a few veterans and build a championship team. its a process you have to go through. Thats what they have done today and look at there success now. everyone always looks for instant success but the truth is it takes time and it takes establishing a foundation. Well thats all I have to say and sorry it was long but I get tired of all this coach bashing that goes on when it has no point.

husker_football_fan
12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
That's a good point, a real good point. For High School. Kids are going to roll through High School, you dont go get them. You dont recruit kids at that level. Have you ever picked up media guides for college teams. They show what that team won the year before and the facilities and such to atract the good players. While the facilities and fans are great at A&M, two years they have no bowl trip to show kids, less TV coverage, no title since 98, and they have to play OU and Texas every year. You dont have to make changes over night but they better be pretty soon in college sports. Yes these are not his kids, he didnt recruit them, but Fran acted like a beat dog all year, like he didnt care that OU scored on 10 of there first 11 drives. Or the fact they lost to Texas, and Texas Tech bad. Oh and eight turnovers against Nebraska. No changes can happen over night, but there is a huge difference between A&M and the above mentioned teams. How long can aggie faithful wait to win again? 3 maybe 4 years of no bowls and wins against Baylor Arkansas State Kansas and Utah. In their Big 12 losses they gave up a combined score of 313 over 50 points a game. While scoreing just 14 points a game in those six losses. How long will 4-8 do?

afflac65
12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
I predict in 2 years it will be nebraska vs texas a&m in the big 12 title game.

vet93
12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
I agree Bulldogvet...it seems like poeple have exchanged long term success for the chance at short term graification.

bulldogvet85:
ok here is something that I dont understand about fans and other athletic supporters now days. people complain they want a new coach cuz the ones they have now are bad, this goes for high school and college with a little diffrence between them. they get rid of a coach bring in a new one and all of a sudden because the coach didnt win as many games as the fans wanted or didnt make it to a bowl game, or high school for instance didnt make the playoffs or go far in the playoffs then they want you out. Fran has been there one year give it sometime changes ant gonna happen over night it takes time. I have the same problem in my town. The old coach we had for four years his first year there. they missed the playoffs cuz of a three way tie or something. second year made uit to the first round but got knocked out. Third year made school history and got the team past the first round only to get knocked out the second round. his fourth and final year they didnt get in the playoffs. people said he sucked blah blah blah. and he left. they bring in a new coach everyone is excited they lose the first four games. they start trashing him. they end up makingthe playoffs but get killed the first round bad, and they trash him again. he is good coach. but things take time. You will always have up and down seasons such as life. Most times its not the coaches fault youhave kids who are lazy work ethic stinks. disagree with coaches beliefs so they just give up. But after a coach only being there one year and not making the success you wanted doesnt mean you fire him right away. it's like what the spurs kept trying to do for along time before they finally caught on. The spurs kept tryingto build a championship team just for the year they would bring in vets and hope to win a championship with them, when what they needed to do all along was. gt some youth on the team with a few veterans and build a championship team. its a process you have to go through. Thats what they have done today and look at there success now. everyone always looks for instant success but the truth is it takes time and it takes establishing a foundation. Well thats all I have to say and sorry it was long but I get tired of all this coach bashing that goes on when it has no point.

husker_football_fan
12-12-2003, 02:25 PM
If that's the case than why get rid of RC? If long time success is all you want, why did he get fired?

vet93
12-12-2003, 02:31 PM
I think that it is way too early to push the panick button after just one season...Also, I have a question regarding Nebraska...What if Tom Osborne had been given the same treatment as Frank Solich? He would have been run out of town quite quickly because he didn' win a national championship. Remember, before his late run of national championship teams...the knock on Osborne was that he could go 9-2 but never win the big one or challenge for a NC. Solich is having to coach now in a tougher conference from top to bottom with more rigorous academic standards than Osborne ever had to contend with.

husker_football_fan:
That's a good point, a real good point. For High School. Kids are going to roll through High School, you dont go get them. You dont recruit kids at that level. Have you ever picked up media guides for college teams. They show what that team won the year before and the facilities and such to atract the good players. While the facilities and fans are great at A&M, two years they have no bowl trip to show kids, less TV coverage, no title since 98, and they have to play OU and Texas every year. You dont have to make changes over night but they better be pretty soon in college sports. Yes these are not his kids, he didnt recruit them, but Fran acted like a beat dog all year, like he didnt care that OU scored on 10 of there first 11 drives. Or the fact they lost to Texas, and Texas Tech bad. Oh and eight turnovers against Nebraska. No changes can happen over night, but there is a huge difference between A&M and the above mentioned teams. How long can aggie faithful wait to win again? 3 maybe 4 years of no bowls and wins against Baylor Arkansas State Kansas and Utah. In their Big 12 losses they gave up a combined score of 313 over 50 points a game. While scoreing just 14 points a game in those six losses. How long will 4-8 do?

vet93
12-12-2003, 02:37 PM
In the last 5 years...RC had been alot closer to 6 and 6 than 9 and 3. His teams had shown a 3 year trend of becoming less competitve. Plus, there is a big difference in being at a school for 1 season and installing completely new offensive and defensive schemes, versus being there 25 years. You would think that RC would have had things established by that time so that he wouldn's string together mulitple mediocre seasons.

husker_football_fan:
If that's the case than why get rid of RC? If long time success is all you want, why did he get fired?

JasperDog94
12-12-2003, 02:51 PM
afflac65:
I predict in 2 years it will be nebraska vs texas a&m in the big 12 title game.I doubt that very seriously...

bulldogvet85
12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
husker_football_fan:
If that's the case than why get rid of RC? If long time success is all you want, why did he get fired?RC was give his time and chance but it seemed the longer he was there the less and less competitive they became. and things seemed to be going down hill. Lets see what happens next year. hopefully we will notice a little change and maybe they will start heading in the right direction.

Cat22
12-12-2003, 03:56 PM
I heard today that QB Dustin Long has transferred to Sam Houston to get more playing time. I'm an A&M fan, but I think this is a good move on his part.

<small>[ December 12, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Cat22 ]</small>

husker_football_fan
12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
vet93 - "Solich is having to coach now in a tougher conference from top to bottom with more rigorous academic standards than Osborne ever had to contend with."

For the record Nebraska graduated 80% of the football players during Osborne's Big 12 years. That was the best of all the Big 12 schools. Yes the conference is tougher and the knock on Osborne not winning the big game, it's tough to win big bowls year in and year out. While being at Nebraska he saw 5 national championships 3 of which at the helm. Besides the elite, most programs can not say that. Also in 25 years he won over 250 games, faster than any other coach, ever. Frank ran into trouble with lack of good recruits, and that 7-7 season. The one season in 35 years with less than 9 wins. I like Frank but I think his time was done, I wish they would have let him coach the bowl game though.

Bulldog92
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
husker_football_fan:
vet93 - "Solich is having to coach now in a tougher conference from top to bottom with more rigorous academic standards than Osborne ever had to contend with."

For the record Nebraska graduated 80% of the football players during Osborne's Big 12 years. That was the best of all the Big 12 schools. Yes the conference is tougher and the knock on Osborne not winning the big game, it's tough to win big bowls year in and year out. While being at Nebraska he saw 5 national championships 3 of which at the helm. Besides the elite, most programs can not say that. Also in 25 years he won over 250 games, faster than any other coach, ever. Frank ran into trouble with lack of good recruits, and that 7-7 season. The one season in 35 years with less than 9 wins. I like Frank but I think his time was done, I wish they would have let him coach the bowl game though.It's nice to see that there's another Husker fan on here besides me. Who do you want to be the next coach? I'd like to see Butch Davis or maybe even Mike Price (even though they won't even look at him) because they can flat-out recruit and coach...not to mention modernizing the offense. I won't be shocked at all if they go with Pelini, though.

husker_football_fan
12-13-2003, 02:13 AM
I like Turner Gill to head up the Huskers let me tell you why:

1. Young, knows the system and traditions of Nebraska football.
2. The media will go nuts over Nebraska hiring a black coach. They will get tons of air time.
3. He can recruit and coach QB's like no other on the staff.
4. He can talk to the media.
5. The kids know him, and the system will need changes but wont be torn to nothing and re-built from scratch.

I like Bo Penli also think he would be a good one also and would love to see him stay on as a defensive coach if not picked to head coach.

If he doesn't want to stay, someone find Kevin Steele didnt have success at Baylor (who will) but he did recruit Tommy Faizer from Flordia.