PDA

View Full Version : Will we have high school football in the fall?

Saggy Aggie
04-27-2020, 09:07 AM
Any news on this? Too early to tell? If so, what’s your guess?

Lots of people saying we can expect another wave of this next winter and we won’t have a vaccine by then...

jason
04-27-2020, 09:26 AM
I bet all fall sports will be negatively impacted by all this.
Wouldn't surprise me if everything is pushed until after the new year.

Scoop27
04-27-2020, 03:25 PM
In my opinion I don't see any fall sports happening-

SintonFan_inAustin
04-27-2020, 04:37 PM
In my opinion I don't see any fall sports happening-

:dispntd:

few months still to fall sports.

YTBulldogs
04-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Imagine each flu season now, they will start shutting things down. Move football to June. This is getting stupid. Open things up. Ruined enough already over this China Bug.

rb585
05-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Imagine each flu season now, they will start shutting things down. Move football to June. This is getting stupid. Open things up. Ruined enough already over this China Bug.

Holy hell, the stupidity... You know you can get vaccinated against the flu, right??

To answer the OP...I don't see it happening, because as soon as one kid comes down sick, his whole team is going to have to quarantine for two weeks, and the team his team played last week is going to have to do the same...

rb585
05-03-2020, 11:16 PM
https://www.wspa.com/news/ncaas-top-doctor-testing-crucial-to-having-sports-in-fall

d0tc0m
05-04-2020, 07:40 AM
https://www.wspa.com/news/ncaas-top-doctor-testing-crucial-to-having-sports-in-fall

Hard to imagine the fall not being impacted in some way. But this article is correct. If we want fall sports at all, testing has to be made readily available. Any comparisons to the flu are wildly off base. This is not an influenza.

However, I'll remain optimistic that HS football will be played this fall.

Here in Missouri, we're in day one of a gradual state-wide "reopening." If we get some positive data in the next 2-3 weeks (no abnormal spike in new cases) then I think we could be on track towards normalcy come fall. I just hope we don't overdo it, go too fast, and throw ourselves right back to where we were a couple months ago.

ogg
05-04-2020, 12:29 PM
Any news on this? Too early to tell? If so, what’s your guess?

Lots of people saying we can expect another wave of this next winter and we won’t have a vaccine by then...

IMO we will especially with a few sporting events this summer with successful outcomes.

Aesculus gilmus
05-05-2020, 06:44 AM
The only problem I see is with the older people demanding to attend the games. They should not, ESPECIALLY if indoors (such as UTSA's Alamodome games), and should be required to sign a waiver of treatment for COVID-19 should they be so foolish as to demand to attend games in person.

Having said that, the University Interscholastic League absolutely has a duty to allow livestreaming of all games on all nights (for a fee, of course) so that the "seasoned citizens" won't miss out on the action.

I actually think, if they try to impose another lockdown, the rural areas of Texas will largely ignore the orders. I would say my area has somewhat already done that (the county is not technically rural, but part of a small metro area - Longview).

d0tc0m
05-05-2020, 06:55 AM
The only problem I see is with the older people demanding to attend the games. They should not, ESPECIALLY if indoors (such as UTSA's Alamodome games), and should be required to sign a waiver of treatment for COVID-19 should they be so foolish as to demand to attend games in person.

Having said that, the University Interscholastic League absolutely has a duty to allow livestreaming of all games on all nights (for a fee, of course) so that the "seasoned citizens" won't miss out on the action.

I actually think, if they try to impose another lockdown, the rural areas of Texas will largely ignore the orders. I would say my area has somewhat already done that (the county is not technically rural, but part of a small metro area - Longview).

I could definitely see the UIL making a temporary amendment in order to broadcast/livestream ALL games this fall. I'd imagine it would go away once the 2020 season is over, but who knows. Lots of little details and logistics to work out in something like that.

waterboy
05-05-2020, 07:58 AM

With only 15 known cases thus far, with 8 of those recovered, in a county of about 41,000 is not bad at all. We've been blessed to say the least. I do, however, see a problem with broadcasting high school football games. There is not enough cameras and crews to broadcast every high school football game, not even close. I still have faith that a covid-19 vaccine will be found before two-a-days. I would absolutely HATE to see fall sports not played at all.

I think we will be able to start the fall football season as scheduled, although there could be some limitations on attendance, social distancing, et al, if the curve of the active virus cases is trending down and/or a vaccine is found.

Scoop27
05-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Guess small town radio stations from like Sealy, El Campo, Columbus, Bay City, La Grange, Cuero and Gonzales to name a few broadcast them .
A few stations like from KVLG-KBUK out of La Grange will also broadcast volleyball matches

panfan
05-05-2020, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing that if a legitimate proven treatment can be developed by August, restrictions will be eased to some level and life will be quasi normal. Don't confuse treatment with vaccine or prophylaxis. Treatment in this context is a proven course of medications/strategies that reduces or minimizes chances of death. I think a true vaccine is still at least a year out. If the virus mutates, could be back to square one. Just my opinion.

Aesculus gilmus
05-05-2020, 03:13 PM
There is not enough cameras and crews to broadcast every high school football game, not even close.

Cameras are fairly inexpensive and there are countless thousands of individuals with football expertise and time on their hands.

I wouldn't think every high school would produce a livestream. I just think it should be allowed for those schools who have enough demand to warrant one.

Frankly, there might not be enough interest in Gilmer to warrant one anymore.

waterboy
05-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Cameras are fairly inexpensive and there are countless thousands of individuals with football expertise and time on their hands.

That's true about cameras, but expertise might be lacking a little, present company excluded. There's still nothing like seeing a game live. You do a very good job with videoing highlights..., MUCH better than the Etex cameraman who can't get close enough to see the action or loses his attention.

I wouldn't think every high school would produce a livestream. I just think it should be allowed for those schools who have enough demand to warrant one.

Most schools have good enough internet to livestream, just not enough expertise. If I can't go to a game live I always listen to the livestream. There's many towns that wouldn't have a very high demand because they don't have a winning program.

Frankly, there might not be enough interest in Gilmer to warrant one anymore.

Interest has waned quite a bit in Gilmer, but I think Coach Metzel can get that interest back if he can produce what we were used to seeing under Jeff (discipline, mental toughness, and commitment to excellence). I think the talent is there to win against teams like PG and Carthage most years. Coaching makes a huge difference with all other things close to equal. Even with the "struggles" we've had the last couple of years I still think there is plenty of interest for livestreaming Buckeye games. I can't say that about most towns.

Scoop27
05-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Sponsors are usually pretty easy to get of audio streaming

Aesculus gilmus
05-06-2020, 05:10 AM
Sponsors are usually pretty easy to get of audio streaming

Just to be clear, I am saying that the UIL, because of older people now being ordered/strongly advised to stay at home basically forever or until the pandemic is over, should allow live VIDEO streaming of ALL games no matter when the game is played, if there is a demand for that.

Obviously, few fans are going to demand a perennially losing program to be video livestreamed.

It wouldn't be free and the NFHS Network would have to be involved as the UIL has a contract with it.

Actually, NFHS Network can only pull rank and demand exclusivity in the playoffs, IIRC, under the terms of the current contract.

Aesculus gilmus
05-06-2020, 05:13 AM
You do a very good job with videoing highlights..., MUCH better than the Etex cameraman who can't get close enough to see the action or loses his attention.

Thanks. Yeah, I try to pay attention to the action. Sometimes I get faked out, as you know. I try to keep it to just a few times a game and preferably zero times.

1st and goal
05-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Yes, UIL should open up video for most all extents. IMO, why should they own it? It belongs to the 2 schools playing IMHO.

Matthew328
05-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Yes, UIL should open up video for most all extents. IMO, why should they own it? It belongs to the 2 schools playing IMHO.

The UIL technically only owns the rights to playoff games from the regional semifinals and forward.....they have the Friday night broadcast ban to encourage people to go out and attend the games as gate revenue is a big part of each school's athletic budget.....I think this is a good rule and the member schools for the most part do agree with it....If they lift the Friday ban the schools should benefit financially from it....right now on these Thursday night games etc...the schools dont financially benefit...

Saggy Aggie
05-10-2020, 07:56 PM
It would be dope if there was a pay to watch program statewide. I get that tickets and concessions is a big revenue producer but I would gladly pay to watch a game every Friday night and spare myself the chore of driving out to a game and sitting in crappy weather etc.

Football would be kinda weird with no fans in the stands. It would be more like a scrimmage at that point

Matthew328
05-11-2020, 07:47 AM
It would be dope if there was a pay to watch program statewide. I get that tickets and concessions is a big revenue producer but I would gladly pay to watch a game every Friday night and spare myself the chore of driving out to a game and sitting in crappy weather etc.

Football would be kinda weird with no fans in the stands. It would be more like a scrimmage at that point

I think if there's a way for the schools to benefit from the revenue I'd for it...

Rocket Man
05-12-2020, 02:09 AM
Are y’all outta your frakkin’ minds?

A HS football game is an event to be attended. Now, I’ll listen to games I can’t attend, but if it’s taking place 1 mile from my house or within reasonable driving distance I want to be there.

Are any of y’all concerned at all about these infringements on our God given rights? My wife & I have been going to RR games for 28 years and I’m pretty sure we’ve been exposed to more risk just driving to/from these games than we would be from this virus.

Anyway, that’s how I feel about it, I wonder how them sumbiches in Burnet feel about it??

d0tc0m
05-12-2020, 06:59 AM
I think if all of this mess is still carrying on into the fall — and it appears likely that it will be — then I'd be all for livestreamed broadcasts of the games. Some schools would be better suited for it than others, which is unfortunate, but such is life. But I do have to agree with Rocket in that HS football games should be attended with warm bodies in the stands making lots of noise. If I were still in Texas, I wouldn't miss any Celina games. And even though I would love to be able to watch them online every Friday night, I'd rather not have that option if it means more people in the stands cheering the Bobcats on in person. I can still listen to the broadcast.

But if things are still in lockdown come this fall BUT we get to have HS football, then yeah, let's do what we can to deliver the games to the fans until things go back to normal.

slingshot
05-12-2020, 11:27 AM
To answer the original question... no.

MUSTANG69
05-12-2020, 04:01 PM

I am one of those "older people". If I want to go to a game I am entitled to make my own decision to do that. I don't need one of the "younger people" making that decision for me. As far as signing waivers goes, you better have everyone sign them. A lot of "younger people" have pre-existing health conditions.

MUSTANG69
05-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Are y’all outta your frakkin’ minds?

A HS football game is an event to be attended. Now, I’ll listen to games I can’t attend, but if it’s taking place 1 mile from my house or within reasonable driving distance I want to be there.

Are any of y’all concerned at all about these infringements on our God given rights? My wife & I have been going to RR games for 28 years and I’m pretty sure we’ve been exposed to more risk just driving to/from these games than we would be from this virus.

Anyway, that’s how I feel about it, I wonder how them sumbiches in Burnet feel about it??

This

Matthew328
05-12-2020, 10:07 PM
There is legal precedent for suspension of personal liberties for safety of the general public....
1905 Jacobsen vs Mass. SCOTUS ruling....

I think we will have football this fall but I do think attendance may be limited in some cases....I hope not but that's just my guess

Rocket Man
05-13-2020, 02:04 AM
I must say that I’m sorely disappointed that no one commented on my frakkin’ Battlestar Galactica lingo!

Aesculus gilmus
05-13-2020, 05:18 AM
There is legal precedent for suspension of personal liberties for safety of the general public....
1905 Jacobsen vs Mass. SCOTUS ruling....

I think we will have football this fall but I do think attendance may be limited in some cases....I hope not but that's just my guess

The good news in Gilmer is that we have been practicing social distancing on the home side of the stadium ever since Jeff Traylor left.

On many nights, the orange reserved seats in the middle are almost completely empty.

I never realized how much the support for Buckeye football was actually just a cult of personality centered on the charismatic coach until he departed.

Saggy Aggie
05-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Don’t get me wrong... I agree that games should be attended in person if you can.

That said, i live 2 hours from where I went to high school and it’s not practical for me to drive down there but once in a while. I’m lucky if I make a single game per year. Instead I go and watch some local games closer to home if there’s a good one. If I had a pay to watch option, I may put it up on the big screen and watch West Columbia’s game instead.

Or hell, if there’s a great game going on in west tx or north Texas I might pay to watch that as well. It’s feasible that you fill up the stands and collect revenue from TV broadcast as well for people who would’ve otherwise simply missed out

Aesculus gilmus
05-15-2020, 03:26 PM
Dan Patrick says play ball with fans there.

https://twitter.com/MarkDavis/status/1261288493604655111

RadioBoots
05-16-2020, 11:19 PM
With a UIL waiver, it will be very easy for the local radio stations who broadcast the games, to use a tablet in their broadcast booth and live stream the video on Facebook Live. I have already had a conversation with our school district about being ready for that scenario.

d0tc0m
05-18-2020, 06:56 AM
With a UIL waiver, it will be very easy for the local radio stations who broadcast the games, to use a tablet in their broadcast booth and live stream the video on Facebook Live. I have already had a conversation with our school district about being ready for that scenario.

You're right there, Radio. The ubiquity of technology (especially iPads/Apple products) will afford plenty of opportunities for schools who don't and won't have the resources to do full-tilt broadcasts like some of the bigger/more affluent districts. This will be something, which is better than nothing.

That said, I would personally just take the usual radio broadcast over a Facebook Livestream from an iPad up in the press box. Again, that's a personal preference. If all you get is a FB Livestream, well that's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

d0tc0m
05-18-2020, 06:58 AM
Don’t get me wrong... I agree that games should be attended in person if you can.

That said, i live 2 hours from where I went to high school and it’s not practical for me to drive down there but once in a while. I’m lucky if I make a single game per year. Instead I go and watch some local games closer to home if there’s a good one. If I had a pay to watch option, I may put it up on the big screen and watch West Columbia’s game instead.

Or hell, if there’s a great game going on in west tx or north Texas I might pay to watch that as well. It’s feasible that you fill up the stands and collect revenue from TV broadcast as well for people who would’ve otherwise simply missed out

I hear you, Saggy. All good points. Living in Missouri, I would certainly pay to watch Celina games every Friday night. And like you, I'd love to be able to watch some games from all across the state. It's certainly something for the UIL to think about. This pandemic will certainly change a lot of things in our culture, but with regards to TXHSFB, we could see a big paradigm shift in the digital access we have to games now.

Aesculus gilmus
05-18-2020, 03:27 PM
The Governor just gave the okay to a lot of sports activities as of May 31.

I believe we may see some unofficial 7on7 competitions next month. I hope so anyhow.

d0tc0m
05-18-2020, 03:30 PM

I believe we may see some unofficial 7on7 competitions next month. I hope so anyhow.

That's a good sign! Certainly appears that things are trending in the right direction. I'm hopeful as ever that there will be a full TX HSFB season this fall.

ogg
05-18-2020, 10:40 PM

Agree, great news

https://twitter.com/ATXANT10/status/1262464068838965253?s=09