PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley, Navarro appeal district realighment to UIL

Gontex
02-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Anybody hear any results of this appeal yet?

rb585
02-18-2020, 05:00 PM
No, scoop. When it comes public, someone will post about it. That's how it works.

It's on the 25th.

10ForTheWin
02-18-2020, 06:36 PM
I’m not getting my hopes up tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJMbrahmas10
02-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Explain please. Why are they appealing

Tejastrue
02-18-2020, 08:25 PM
4a D2 district-14 (http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?134339-4a-D2-district-14)

MJMbrahmas10
02-18-2020, 10:31 PM
O wow! Makes sense now. Thanks. That’s terrible and how did uil convince themself it was. Good idea.

Matthew328
02-19-2020, 06:47 AM
its in incredible long shot to get approved

arges
02-19-2020, 10:15 AM
The UIL rarely does the sensible thing.

10ForTheWin
02-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Wimbo and Navarro will just have to btho these teams for two years straight and maybe they’ll decide public school ball ain’t for them. I’m saying don’t pull starters until the 4Q

Matthew328
02-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Wimberley and Navarro from what I understand aren't appealing to move...what they want is others in their district to move and move other teams into the district....way too many moving parts and the schools who Wimberley and Navarro are asking to move probably dont want to move

10ForTheWin
02-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Wimberley and Navarro from what I understand aren't appealing to move...what they want is others in their district to move and move other teams into the district....way too many moving parts and the schools who Wimberley and Navarro are asking to move probably dont want to move

This is correct, it’s not a typical appeal. The appeal is to disband and redo the district alignment.

ogg
02-19-2020, 08:24 PM
O wow! Makes sense now. Thanks. That’s terrible and how did uil convince themself it was. Good idea.

Yes, it is terrible. Austin Achieve: was not only a 6 man football team last year but was the worst in their district....they did beat the heck out of Smoking for Jesus ministry last year ;). Now they're playing 4A div. 2 football. Wait....what..4A??? New Tech: not only got beat but Donkey stomped by every team they played last year except for Eastside Memorial who they beat the tar out of. This gives perspective on just how bad Eastside Memorial really is. Finally there's Young Men's Leadership Academy: Never had a varsity football team so we'll just have to see how that goes, Um....yeah. For Navarro and Wimbo these won't even be blowouts but total mismatches. Unfortunately, I can see the UIL changing anything regardless of the protests.

I've talked with a few of my friends and we, more than likely, won't be going the these games. Hey thanks UIL.

Thought?

rb585
02-20-2020, 12:39 AM
Yes, it is terrible. Austin Achieve: was not only a 6 man football team last year but was the worst in their district....they did beat the heck out of Smoking for Jesus ministry last year ;). Now they're playing 4A div. 2 football. Wait....what..4A??? New Tech: not only got beat but Donkey stomped by every team they played last year except for Eastside Memorial who they beat the tar out of. This gives perspective on just how bad Eastside Memorial really is. Finally there's Young Men's Leadership Academy: Never had a varsity football team so we'll just have to see how that goes, Um....yeah. For Navarro and Wimbo these won't even be blowouts but total mismatches. Unfortunately, I can see the UIL changing anything regardless of the protests.

I've talked with a few of my friends and we, more than likely, won't be going the these games. Hey thanks UIL.

Thought?

The UIL needs a policy that you can't advance more than 2 levels unless you're a new school drawing enrollment from other schools.
So YMLA starts at 2A regardless of enrollment, and so would have Eastside 2 years ago.
Achieve could play 3A this season.

But again, the Deion Sanders who create charter schools for football ruin stuff like this.

YTBulldogs
02-20-2020, 08:09 AM
UIL, put these teams where they belong, intramural two below leagues. Good grief.:vrycnfsd:

arges
02-20-2020, 09:45 AM
The UIL needs a policy that you can't advance more than 2 levels unless you're a new school drawing enrollment from other schools.
So YMLA starts at 2A regardless of enrollment, and so would have Eastside 2 years ago.
Achieve could play 3A this season.

But again, the Deion Sanders who create charter schools for football ruin stuff like this.

Eastside has been around since the 60's as Johnston. Thanks to AISD's district fixing to send a large part of this area west to SFA has made Eastside so miserable. Don't know if things will change when the new school for EM will open. BTW most of the 5A schools in Austin aren't much better.

Gontex
02-21-2020, 03:36 PM
It would be extremely difficult to make lots of changes that would be required to correct this situation. Many of the schools have already set up schedules for the next two years and probably would not be inclined to agree to changes in district set ups.

Matthew328
02-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Manor New Tech probably could easily be switched w/Gonzales and Cuero and both districts would make sense...but asking to switch after the fact really screws New Tech lol

rb585
02-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Manor New Tech probably could easily be switched w/Gonzales and Cuero and both districts would make sense...but asking to switch after the fact really screws New Tech lol

It's idiotic that New Tech and Achieve weren't switched with Gonzo and Cuero in the first place. I guess the rubber bands didn't stretch right.

YTBulldogs
02-22-2020, 09:08 AM
It would be extremely difficult to make lots of changes that would be required to correct this situation. Many of the schools have already set up schedules for the next two years and probably would not be inclined to agree to changes in district set ups.
Sure Wim and Nav would gladly just scrimmage their JV on Fridays (since teams already have their next 2 years ND schedules made) if it meant they were placed in a legitimate district. Both these school's JV would be 10x tougher than these other schools so called varsity teams anyways.

scrub c
02-22-2020, 10:31 AM
I guess the rubber bands didn't stretch right.

amen

Gontex
02-23-2020, 05:42 PM

Ain't going to happen. Schools that are asked to move have to agree to such a move and Gonzales and Cuero are probably happy where they are.

Matthew328
02-23-2020, 06:00 PM
Ain't going to happen. Schools that are asked to move have to agree to such a move and Gonzales and Cuero are probably happy where they are.

Agree...and New Tech is gonna be like "HALE NO"

1st and goal
02-23-2020, 09:15 PM
:stirpot:
I was going to try and make a joke about this, but I figured panfan would misunderstand it and get all bent out of shape. :)

Gontex
02-23-2020, 11:19 PM
I heard the appeal will be heard Tuesday.

rb585
02-23-2020, 11:47 PM
I heard the appeal will be heard Tuesday.

I read in the second post of this thread, that the appeal is on the 25th, according to the UIL website, which is Monday.

rb585
02-23-2020, 11:49 PM

New Tech and Achieve especially aren't going to agree on moving from a district where they have a chance to win 3 games and make the playoffs to a district where they might win one.

Scoop27
02-24-2020, 12:41 AM
When will UIL release soccer, and spring sports realignment?

Scoop27
02-24-2020, 12:41 AM
And cross country since it's a fall sport

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2020, 10:40 AM
I read in the second post of this thread, that the appeal is on the 25th, according to the UIL website, which is Monday.

Weird, because today is Monday the 24th

Matthew328
02-24-2020, 10:49 AM
Its tomorrow

panfan
02-24-2020, 11:48 AM
:stirpot:
I was going to try and make a joke about this, but I figured panfan would misunderstand it and get all bent out of shape. :)

:vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd:

Tejastrue
02-24-2020, 12:03 PM
It's leap year folks.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2020, 12:10 PM
Its tomorrow

Are you sure it isn’t Monday the 25th?

Matthew328
02-25-2020, 02:56 PM
All six football appeals were denied today...

Gontex
02-25-2020, 05:07 PM
Not surprised. Would have taken too many changes.

SaltySixes
02-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Not surprised. Would have taken too many changes.

Not to mention your asking a governing agency to police itself... can you imagine expecting the NCAA to actually change their mind after an appeal? I cant.... But the UIL and the NCAA have something in common...

They both SUCK

SaltySixes
02-25-2020, 06:58 PM
My hope is that the Panthers and the Texans can both beat the joke teams so badly that it sends them back to where they came from (peewee)... I have heard that Coach Blount plans to never let off the gas in those games.... Like Refugio style. To the point of 100 to 0... I'm all for it! When the losers start to complain about poor sportsmanship I'll just point my finger right at the UIL

ogg
02-25-2020, 07:48 PM
My hope is that the Panthers and the Texans can both beat the joke teams so badly that it sends them back to where they came from (peewee)... I have heard that Coach Blount plans to never let off the gas in those games.... Like Refugio style. To the point of 100 to 0... I'm all for it! When the losers start to complain about poor sportsmanship I'll just point my finger right at the UIL

Yup....we tried man, we tried. I don't want to hear any whining in this state about the final score.

Matthew328
02-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Not to mention your asking a governing agency to police itself... can you imagine expecting the NCAA to actually change their mind after an appeal? I cant.... But the UIL and the NCAA have something in common...

They both SUCK

I'm not sure the UIL "sucks" they aren't perfect...but take a look at what some of the other states have..

SaltySixes
02-25-2020, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure the UIL "sucks" they aren't perfect...but take a look at what some of the other states have..

That's fair, they do provide a solid platform that allows schools to compete at a consistently high level... (except in this instance)... in our situation I just dont see how they can defend placing all 4 of the worst 4a teams in the same district. Not to mention they span 2 entirely different cities. It seems to me that they decided to just consolidate the terrible and not dilute any extra districts... what will they do when the miserable teams decide to not even participate next season? We will see...

Gontex
02-26-2020, 11:01 PM
I saw today what Wimbo/Navarro proposed to the UIL. It would have put Gonzales in a very tenuous position of having to nearly completely redo the schedule. Apache would probably have ended up with only 8 or 9 games the next two years.

SaltySixes
02-27-2020, 01:22 AM
I saw today what Wimbo/Navarro proposed to the UIL. It would have put Gonzales in a very tenuous position of having to nearly completely redo the schedule. Apache would probably have ended up with only 8 or 9 games the next two years.

That actually sounds pretty good... we only have 6

rb585
02-27-2020, 10:14 AM

Truth. I have friends who have coached in other states where their version of theUIL is weak, and the private schools have taken over those states because of it.

The UIL made a mistake here and I suspect they know they did, but fixing it now would inconvenience too many other schools. Like I said earlier, I think Wimberley and Navarro knew their appeal had very little chance of being granted, and the main purpose of the appeal was to let the UIL know of the problem so they didn't repeat the mistake in 2022.

10ForTheWin
02-27-2020, 10:16 AM

The biggest issue is sub varsity. Navarro/Wimbo have no one to play at the sub varsity level for most of District play. That really sucks for those kids.

jason
02-27-2020, 10:30 AM
The biggest issue is sub varsity. Navarro/Wimbo have no one to play at the sub varsity level for most of District play. That really sucks for those kids.

There will be some schools with B, C, and (maybe) D teams looking for games - the coaching community is tight - someone will reach out and offer them a game

YTBulldogs
02-27-2020, 10:32 AM
Nav should request to bumped up to 5A. Atleast till 2022.

SaltySixes
02-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Nav should request to bumped up to 5A. Atleast till 2022.

Why not just 4A D1?

YTBulldogs
02-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Why not just 4A D1?

Or there. Thought they could get into a closer district, at 5A. Yeah, 4A-D1 works too. Hell, Wimbo as well.

Gontex
02-27-2020, 04:48 PM
To quote the Fonz of Happy Days, I was wwwwrrrrrooooonnnnnggg about how Gonzales coaches felt about this. Local newspaper quoted Coach Waldie as going to the hearing and speaking in favor of the Apaches changing into the district with Navarro and Wimberley. He said it was part of being a good neighbor and he hope they would do the same for us should we ever be in a similar position. That was a huge surprise to me, but...…..

Gontex
02-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Coach Waldie actually spoke in favor of Gonzales and Manor New Tech swapping places. Must admit it was a huge surprise for me to hear that. Had to be someone there who was opposed to it though.

rb585
02-27-2020, 05:01 PM
Or there. Thought they could get into a closer district, at 5A. Yeah, 4A-D1 works too. Hell, Wimbo as well.
Both of them would make the playoffs in the district Liberty HIll is in.

rb585
02-27-2020, 05:08 PM
Representatives from Navarro and Wimberley high schools made their case to the UIL Appeals Committee on Tuesday for a restructuring of their new district, 14-4A-II, citing concerns over a lack of teams at sub-varsity levels for the other four schools in the new district.

While the committee acknowledged the concerns, they voted 7-0 to deny the appeal.

“Our appeal was a little different, it wasn’t the appeal that the UIL has set up,” Navarro head coach Rod Blount said. “We wrote a letter talking about the difficulties that this district would give us and a possible solution to fix it.

“We knew it was a long shot that involved moving a couple of teams from a couple of districts, trying to even it out and moving some people out of our district.”

The two schools were paired in the district with four schools that either have just begun a football program, or don’t have enough kids for freshman and JV teams.

Manor Tech, Austin Eastside Memorial, Austin Achieve and SA Young Men’s Leadership were added to the district with Navarro and Wimberley.

Typically, schools appealing realignment do not propose a plan similar to what Navarro and Wimberley were proposing, the movement of schools from three different districts in the area to split up the four schools that were assigned to 14-4A.

“We didn’t know if we would even get a hearing or not, because it didn’t follow the normal appeal,” Blount said. “They acknowledged that what we were asking made a lot of sense but at the end, the committee voted to keep it the same way.

“They understood the difficulties with the sub-varsities, but said they can’t always set it up where everybody’s equal.”

Navarro and Wimberley’s appeal involved moving schools from two other districts into 14-4A, and moving a couple of the new football programs in that district to a different one.

“We weren’t appealing to move to another district, which is the way it’s usually set up,” Blount said. “We were trying to shake up a couple of districts and try to balance them out a little more.

“The members of the committee said they understood how frustrating it was when the sub-varsities don’t have games, or a game gets canceled, but that’s how it happens sometimes.”

Navarro superintendent Dee Carter made the presentation for Navarro, Wimberley made their presentation, and other schools affected were given their chance to speak on the appeal.

“We had some schools speak for it and some schools that went against us,” Blount said. “We had some from our district and a couple from the other districts that we had proposed to change.”

Gonzales High School, which Navarro and Wimberley had proposed to move into the new district, spoke in favor of the proposed changes. There were several schools that spoke against the change, some from the new district and others that would have moved into the district.

“The schools in our district said they signed up to be in that district and wanted to play us,” Blount said. “They thought that everything was done right, the best that it could be, and that’s understandable. But there wasn’t anything negative from anybody — they understood our concerns, but they had to look out for the best interest of their school, just like we had to look out for ours.”

Navarro and Wimberely were required to notify all the schools affected by the proposed changes to the realignment.

“There were 18 teams (in three districts) involved,” Blount said. “We weren’t trying to move everybody, but it would have affected them somehow.”

The proposal would have moved two of the schools into Districts 13-4A and 15-4A, and moved the closest one from each district into 14-4A.

Despite the denial of the appeal, Blount was pleased with the process and that the committee was willing to listen to the proposal.

“It was a good hearing,” he said. “I think they listened to us and saw that there were some concerns there.

“Hopefully, the next time on realignment that will come into play and we won’t have the same district again. But I was very pleased with how everything went — they were open and listening and had good questions, so it wasn’t that they had already had their minds made up, so that was good to see.”

The committee heard 10 appeals on Tuesday from schools all over the state and granted one, denying the nine others.

http://seguingazette.com/alert/article_6ccb9f48-5846-11ea-8af0-4fa066aa9611.html

rb585
02-27-2020, 05:11 PM
statesman:

As for Wimberley and Navarro, those new rivals in District 14-4A Division II had hoped to remove two schools from their district and replace them with two schools from other districts. Their current district includes New Tech, Eastside Memorial, Austin Achieve and Young Men’s Leadership Academy of San Antonio.

Hoping to add teams with stronger football pedigrees, Wimberley and Navarro made a request to send New Tech to District 13-4A in exchange for Gonzales. Also, they appealed to ship Young Men’s Leadership Academy to District 15-4A in exchange for Bandera.

“We knew that our chances of this happening were slim to none but we wanted our voices heard,” Wimberley coach Doug Warren said.

Warren noted that a few teams in his new district do not have enough sub-varsity teams to compete against Wimberley’s multiple-team program.

Bandera was probably happy to avoid Wimbo and Navarro.

SaltySixes
02-27-2020, 06:05 PM
To quote the Fonz of Happy Days, I was wwwwrrrrrooooonnnnnggg about how Gonzales coaches felt about this. Local newspaper quoted Coach Waldie as going to the hearing and speaking in favor of the Apaches changing into the district with Navarro and Wimberley. He said it was part of being a good neighbor and he hope they would do the same for us should we ever be in a similar position. That was a huge surprise to me, but...…..

That's super interesting, the coach sounds like a great guy!... not to mention it would have made them a shoe in for playoffs haha

SaltySixes
02-27-2020, 07:14 PM
That's super interesting, the coach sounds like a great guy!... not to mention it would have made them a shoe in for playoffs haha

Still cant support their decision to put all 4 of the worst teams in 4A in the same district.... the UIL says they know how frustrating it can be, my question how? This is unprecedented. It is obviously a calculated effort to consolidate all of the terrible schools and not dilute any extra districts. Theres not even a good reason to have done it in the first place. (Other than the reason I just stated)... also I should add that it frustrates me a ton that they acknowledged the appeal made alot of since but said, "sorry too late,"... I understand that it doesnt always shake out completely fair but this is the polar opposite...

SaltySixes
02-27-2020, 07:21 PM
statesman:

Bandera was probably happy to avoid Wimbo and Navarro.

When do Navarro and Wimbo move beyond "new rivals"? We played our first high stakes game like 10 years ago... jeez

1st and goal
03-01-2020, 10:15 PM
:vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd:

just kidding amigo. How's your son doing?

panfan
03-02-2020, 04:52 PM
just kidding amigo. How's your son doing?

Very well, thanks for asking. Graduates in May, will train at Ft. Benning for about a year, then will station at Ft Lewis in Tacoma, Washington.

As for Wimbo and Navarro, sorry to hear this whole mess has occurred. Here is hoping that the UIL took note from the appeal and makes it a priority to assure it doesn't happen again in the next realignment.

1st and goal
03-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Very well, thanks for asking. Graduates in May, will train at Ft. Benning for about a year, then will station at Ft Lewis in Tacoma, Washington.

As for Wimbo and Navarro, sorry to hear this whole mess has occurred. Here is hoping that the UIL took note from the appeal and makes it a priority to assure it doesn't happen again in the next realignment.

Awesome!

Thank him for his service to our country for me.

What's he going to train for?

panfan
03-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Awesome!

Thank him for his service to our country for me.

What's he going to train for?

I will. Ranger, air assault, then leadership training. Wouldn't let the fat boys jump out of planes during football.

Gontex
03-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Still cant support their decision to put all 4 of the worst teams in 4A in the same district.... the UIL says they know how frustrating it can be, my question how? This is unprecedented. It is obviously a calculated effort to consolidate all of the terrible schools and not dilute any extra districts. Theres not even a good reason to have done it in the first place. (Other than the reason I just stated)... also I should add that it frustrates me a ton that they acknowledged the appeal made alot of since but said, "sorry too late,"... I understand that it doesnt always shake out completely fair but this is the polar opposite...

And the real kicker is that 2 of those 4 teams are going to be in the playoffs.