PDA

View Full Version : Sinton To Vote On $111 Million School Bond In May

sinfan75
02-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Actually it's two separate bonds. $91 million for a new highschool and up-grades to the 2 elementary and middle schools. And then a $ 19 million bond for a new athletic field house and upgrades to the middle school athletic facilities. The new school will be built right behind the existing high school.

sinfan75
02-12-2020, 04:20 PM
https://www.sintonisdbond.net/

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Must be nice to not have the state taking more than 50% of the monies the district brings in.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-12-2020, 05:46 PM
I'm 51 and i think school is 52 years old so yea its time for a new one. no tax rate increase to residents.

But don't we have somewhat new elementary schools already?

SintonFan_inAustin
02-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Must be nice to not have the state taking more than 50% of the monies the district brings in.

Sinton has a bypass so they bypass us.(joke) Yea seen PI is no man land with that problem due to SPI. Is that most likely the reason?

sinfan75
02-12-2020, 06:21 PM
The 2 elementary schools and the jr. high are all less than 10 years old. I think the elementary school upgrades are going to be for security. And yes the high school is 52 years old

RkptFltn
02-13-2020, 09:05 AM

Rockport Tx, home of some of the highest property values, and poorest school districts.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Rockport Tx, home of some of the highest property values, and poorest school districts.

Same problem as PI and i think AP also. I go to AP schools sometimes and they use to be terrible buildings but have open some newer ones. Use to go to one in Fulton/Rockport was old elementary not sure if still there.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Sinton has a bypass so they bypass us.(joke) Yea seen PI is no man land with that problem due to SPI. Is that most likely the reason?

Yeah it's because of South Padre Island, but here's the irony of it all. Less than 5% of the entire student body (pre-k to 12) actually live on SPI. The vast majority live in Port Isabel proper, Laguna Heights, or Laguna Vista, and a huge majority of those students live below the poverty line.

Hardly seems fair....

Rocket Man
02-13-2020, 10:43 PM
$91MM, seriously?

What is it about school constuction that costs so dang much?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?

sinfan75
02-14-2020, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Rocket Man;1966884]$91MM, seriously?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?[/QUOTE

Although the bulk of the money will go toward a new high school, all the schools in the district are going get upgrades.

Old Green
02-14-2020, 09:47 AM
With the expectation of future growth in the district, it’s a good idea to update all the ISD facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RkptFltn
02-14-2020, 10:31 AM
The new steel plant will pay for it over time. Excited for the other Pirates to get a facelift.

Epicpirates
02-15-2020, 09:13 AM
I was hoping Steel Dynamics would help to bring about a new high school. It is so badly needed. If you've been to the school in the last 10 yrs, you would notice you never leave the school without smelling musty. Being a bomb shelter, there are no windows in any classrooms. To finally have a much needed renovation in the field house/ weight room is a wonderful thing! I'm so excited for the community. I wish my three kids would have had the opportunity to be in this new school. I know it will be great!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man
02-15-2020, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Rocket Man;1966884]$91MM, seriously?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?[/QUOTE

Although the bulk of the money will go toward a new high school, all the schools in the district are going get upgrades.

Ok, so let’s say it’s $75MM, I still cannot fathom in my mind why it will cost that much to build. I’m not knocking the upgrades or the building of a new school, I just can’t wrap my mind around the cost.

It’s not that it’s Sinton, it’s every where, even here in Rocket Land. I’ll have to look to see if the costs are lower in Burnet and if they are then that confirms it’s greendawg’s fault.

Aesculus gilmus
02-15-2020, 11:37 PM
https://youtu.be/Dpwl5siyz6k

Gilmer is building a new high school with a capacity of 800 students for $35 million. Had it cost much more than that, the bond election would have failed for the third time in a row.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-16-2020, 12:03 AM
I think Sinton current High School was build for over 1000 students and most likely this one is also. 35 million sounds like a good bargain.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-16-2020, 03:22 AM
I have to think back a bit, but with regards to Port Isabel ISD's schools......

Port Isabel High School (current location) was built in 1977, first used in the 1978/1979 school year. Additions have been made to the original campus, but for the most part, the campus is still from the late 1970s. Portable buildings have been in use for the past 8-10 years, which indicates the need for more additions to the campus, but sadly, the district can't afford it.

Port Isabel Jr. High current location was built in 1987, first used in the 1988/1989 school year. No additions made, to my knowledge.

Derry Elementary (Grades 2-5) has been in the same location for as long as I can remember. Most of the newer sections of Derry Elementary were built in the 1980s (don't know exact year). Some sections of it are STILL parts of the original campus (which was the original PIHS from the 1940s & 1950s) but they're not used anymore except for storage.

Garriga Elementary (Pre-K to 1st Grade) has been in the same location since AT LEAST the 1930s, possibly longer. Many of the original sections of the campus were still in use as of the 1980s. However, many upgrades have taken place since then and they're now used as the main campus. However, sections of Garriga Elementary (original campus) are still in use, shockingly.