PDA

View Full Version : 4a D2 district-14

10ForTheWin
02-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Navarro and Wimberley really got screwed with this realignment. Hopefully both can find some solid pre-district games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SintonFan_inAustin
02-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Navarro and Wimberley really got screwed with this realignment. Hopefully both can find some solid pre-district games.

Week 1!

vs Port Lavaca Calhoun

10ForTheWin
02-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Week 1!

vs Port Lavaca Calhoun

Really??

SintonFan_inAustin
02-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Really??

Slot T vs Triple Option

not sure who gets to be home team in 2020

10ForTheWin
02-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Slot T vs Triple Option

I’d be all for it

SaltySixes
02-03-2020, 01:21 PM
What are you talking about? Austin Achieve, Manor New Tech, SA young men's leadership, and not to mention Austin East Side are some of the best flag football football programs in the area... its seriously sucks though, those teams should have to prove that they belong in a UIL district before just jumping in. They do not know what to expect. ES might actually be one of the better ones, the historically bad ES....

arges
02-03-2020, 01:48 PM
New Tech actually beat Eastside this past year. Some really weak sisters here. Navarro and Wimberley should roll here.

SaltySixes
02-03-2020, 01:57 PM
New Tech actually beat Eastside this past year. Some really weak sisters here. Navarro and Wimberley should roll here.

That's good... Achieve has like 17 total players, and I literally couldnt even find a single football picture of that SA young mens leadership... ES may score a TD this season

Old Green
02-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Do these charter schools have JV or freshman teams ? If they don’t , then that presents another scheduling problem for Navarro and Wimberley.

SaltySixes
02-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Do these charter schools have JV or freshman teams ? If they don’t , then that presents another scheduling problem for Navarro and Wimberley.

Cant imagine that they do. Austin achieve doesnt even have a football field... they play their games on a soccer field with no lines

rb585
02-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Achieve played 6-man last season.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-03-2020, 07:17 PM
Achieve played 6-man last season.
That's a big jump from 6 man to 4a D2

Tejastrue
02-04-2020, 07:14 PM
I think we've been rainbowed.

10ForTheWin
02-05-2020, 01:06 PM
Toughest district in the state, no cap

rb585
02-05-2020, 11:07 PM
toughest district in the state, no cap

this is the truth!!!

Do any other 4a schools have to play teams form 2 of teh 4 laregest citys in teh state of texas?!?!?1

eye theenk knot!!!

Tuffest districk in teh state!!!!

ogg
02-06-2020, 06:27 PM

We'll suffer from the "Refugio syndrome" where the starters are pulled in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in district games. Like you said, it's about pre-district and playing each other. This could impact our fan turnout as well.

rb585
02-06-2020, 06:39 PM
We'll suffer from the "Refugio syndrome" where the starters are pulled in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in district games. Like you said, it's about pre-district and playing each other. This could impact our fan turnout as well.

Gonna impact me -- I don't enjoy watching complete mismatches, especially at the high school level. I might actually go see a San Marcos game this year.

Anyone seen the pre-district? I assume that Canyon Lake and Giddings are givens.

SaltySixes
02-06-2020, 07:45 PM
Navarro

Blount did not mince words when the*Gazette*talked to him Monday afternoon about the realignment.

“It’s tough on us being in that district,” Blount said. “I think it’s going to hurt us this year and the effects of it will be long term.

“It’s hard to find games for your junior highs and sub-varsity teams.”

Wimberley is the one holdover from Navarro’s previous district, while Manor Tech, Austin Eastside Memorial, Austin Achieve and SA Young Men’s Leadership were added to the new district.

“Manor said they would have a JV, but that’s it,” Blount said. “Eastside is not going to have a JV, freshman or junior high and Achieve Academy and SA Young Men’s Leadership is going to be the same way.

“So we’re going to be scrambling to find games for our sub-varsities and having to send them every which way — and a bunch of 4A schools are going to be dealing with the same issue we are.”

That the UIL put those four schools all in the same district, rather than splitting them up, creates an issue for a large part of the district season.

“It’s hard enough when you’re trying to find them for one game or so,” Blount said. “But to look during everybody’s district play for a minimum of three games — it’s going to be hard to do.”

Blount wasn’t sure exactly why the UIL chose to group the four schools together, but said it probably came down to location.

“I guess just looking geographically that the UIL placed it like that,” he said. “I don’t think it was anything intentional, but those guys are kind of in the same area.”

Blount is also concerned with the level of competition that those schools can provide for the Panthers.

“That’s what prepared us for a good playoff run every year, to be battle tested and having to play hard every single week — that’s not going to be the case any more,” Blount said.

Blount had some idea that at least a couple of those schools would be in the new district, “but I did not think it would be all four of them,” he said.

“Manor Tech is coming up from 3A, it’s going to be Achieve Academy’s first year of playing football and it’s the same with SA Young Men’s — that’s three brand new schools.

“But the main concern that I have is for our younger kids on our sub-varsities, who are we going to schedule?” Blount said. “You aren’t going to be able to play 4A’s because they aren’t going to be looking for games.”

Blount was not sure what, if any, recourse the school might pursue with the UIL.

In non-football sports, the foes are more familiar, as the Panthers will play Gonzales, Pleasanton, La Vernia and Cuero.

rb585
02-07-2020, 10:03 AM
I would assume the Wimberley and Navarro sub-varsities will play home-and-homes at a minimum.

10ForTheWin
02-07-2020, 12:58 PM
I would assume the Wimberley and Navarro sub-varsities will play home-and-homes at a minimum.

I kinda thought that, just let Wimbo and Navarro sub varsity play multiple games against each other if needed

rb585
02-07-2020, 02:29 PM
I kinda thought that, just let Wimbo and Navarro sub varsity play multiple games against each other if needed

Would be nice to be able to train our kids to defend the pass, though.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Matt Stepp
@Matt_Stepp817
Wimberley and Geronimo Navarro are planning an appeal to the UIL on their placement in District 14-4A Division II #txhsfb
@dctf

https://twitter.com/Matt_Stepp817/status/1227765530746068994?s=20

Tejastrue
02-12-2020, 09:52 PM
I had heard this. Good.

SaltySixes
02-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Great news

ogg
02-13-2020, 11:57 AM
Matt Stepp
@Matt_Stepp817
Wimberley and Geronimo Navarro are planning an appeal to the UIL on their placement in District 14-4A Division II #txhsfb
@dctf

https://twitter.com/Matt_Stepp817/status/1227765530746068994?s=20

Do the two schools have a solution? The only one I can see would be splinting the two (Wimbo/Navarro) and placing one in D-13 and the other in D-15, that leaves D-14 with 4 schools. Or reshuffling the entire Reg. 4. Thoughts?

rb585
02-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Do the two schools have a solution? The only one I can see would be splinting the two (Wimbo/Navarro) and placing one in D-13 and the other in D-15, that leaves D-14 with 4 schools. Or reshuffling the entire Reg. 4. Thoughts?

There's not a solution. I think this is just sabre-rattling to let the UIL know that there's a big problem with this and that it had better not happen again with the 2022 realignment.

The UIL will tell both programs to grin and bear it for two years and promise that 2022 won't be a repeat.

What the UIL needs to do is spend the two years coming up with a fair, consistent policy on how to classify charter schools. That's a tough problem because you have charter schools like the ones in this district that don't even have subvarsity programs, but you also have charter schools like that one Deion Sanders started that exist solely for football.

arges
02-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Trade Gonzales and Cuero with YMLA and Achieve. Boy Navasota is a long way from these schools.

rb585
02-13-2020, 06:28 PM
Trade Gonzales and Cuero with YMLA and Achieve. Boy Navasota is a long way from these schools.

You could trade Manor Tech and Achieve -- both of them are in Manor, IIRC, which is closer to Navasota than Gonz or Cuero. I assume you'd have to get all 4 schools to sign off on that, which I suspect would be difficult.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-13-2020, 06:46 PM
You could trade Manor Tech and Achieve -- both of them are in Manor, IIRC, which is closer to Navasota than Gonz or Cuero. I assume you'd have to get all 4 schools to sign off on that, which I suspect would be difficult.

Manor to Giddings, Smithville and La Grange not that far use to travel to those towns back when i lived in Austin when it was much easier to get around in that hectic traffic city but Navasota is a bit far but Hwy 290 lines most of them. Cuero and Gonzales back with Navarro and Wimberley. Eastside and SA Young Men's Leadership get to stay.

That will work better because in D13 two good teams stay home if left the way it is.

SaltySixes
02-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Or we could be an independent like Notre Dame and have our own TV contract...

arges
02-13-2020, 11:54 PM

Didn't know the location of Achieve, but doubt the others would all go along with this.

10ForTheWin
02-14-2020, 12:12 AM
There's not a solution. I think this is just sabre-rattling to let the UIL know that there's a big problem with this and that it had better not happen again with the 2022 realignment.

The UIL will tell both programs to grin and bear it for two years and promise that 2022 won't be a repeat.

What the UIL needs to do is spend the two years coming up with a fair, consistent policy on how to classify charter schools. That's a tough problem because you have charter schools like the ones in this district that don't even have subvarsity programs, but you also have charter schools like that one Deion Sanders started that exist solely for football.

This is my bet. Wimbo and Navarro will have to do their part to show that Achieve and YMLA aren’t ready for true 4a ball and I predict they’ll go back to whatever they were doing before.

ogg
02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
This is my bet. Wimbo and Navarro will have to do their part to show that Achieve and YMLA aren’t ready for true 4a ball and I predict they’ll go back to whatever they were doing before.

What's ironic is two of those four will make the playoffs and one will probably have a winning record.

rb585
02-15-2020, 12:28 PM
What's ironic is two of those four will make the playoffs and one will probably have a winning record.

Which is why there's no way either of them sign off on switching districts with Cuero and Gonzales.

scrub c
02-22-2020, 10:29 AM
happens around the Houston area every alignment... someone has to play the hisd and kipp school districts... think it was sweeny and them in D2 and navasota and them in D1