PDA

View Full Version : Cuero is open

44INAROW
01-30-2020, 02:22 PM
The Cuero Record
23 mins ·
After eight years leading Cuero’s athletic department and football program, Travis Reeve has accepted the position of head football coach at New Caney ISD, pending board approval tonight. Reeve was also an assistant coach here from 2004-2009 under his father, Mark Reeve. During his time, Cuero won a state championship in 2018, their first since 1987, and oversaw an athletic department which was competitive in every sport on both the boys and girls side. Make sure to pick up next week’s edition of The Cuero Record for full coverage on this story.:bigcry:

Blue42
01-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Sure will miss them great family. I see myself checking out some Eagles games.

44INAROW
01-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Sure will miss them great family. I see myself checking out some Eagles games.

Yes, I agree - gonna miss the family for sure... Happy for Travis - New Caney looks to be very nice and moving right along.

Scoop27
01-31-2020, 01:59 PM
I can remember New Caney being a Class A school in the early 70s and playing Hungerford in football

Scoop27
02-01-2020, 03:22 PM
From The Victoria Advocate

Travis Reeve has spent a majority of his coaching career at Cuero.

He led the Gobblers to the 2018 Class 4A, Division II state championship.

But Reeve, 42, is leaving Cuero to become the head football coach at Class 5A New Caney.

“We visited about it,” Reeve said. “The program has been successful over the last three or four years and it’s the fastest growing district in the state of Texas. There’s a unique combination of a small-town, big-school mentality. I just thought it would be a good fit.”

Reeve has been the athletic director and head football coach at Cuero for the past eight seasons.
He had an overall record of 75-29 that included seven playoff appearances.

The Gobblers went 15-1 when they won their fourth state title last season.

Cuero had a 3-7 record this season, but ended the year with a win over state-finalist Wimberley.

“I’m not leaving because of Cuero, the community of Cuero, the kids at Cuero,” Reeve said. “Cuero is an extremely special place for me and my family and it has been extremely good to us. It’s been the upmost honor to have been the head football coach at Cuero High School for the last eight years and to be an assistant here as well.”

Reeve played quarterback at Victoria High and led the Stingarees to the 1993 state semifinals.

Reeve began his coaching career as an assistant under his father, Mark, at Victoria High and was also an assistant at Plano West, San Antonio MacArthur, at Cuero for six seasons, and at San Antonio Churchill for two seasons before returning to Cuero as athletic director and head football coach.

“Over half of my career has been at Cuero,” Reeve said. “It’s a tremendous place and it hasn’t changed. It’s still a tremendous place. I love the people, I love the kids, and the community is extremely supportive. I just think the Lord has a plan for us and there’s a new adventure that awaits. Cuero is always going to be a special place for us.”

Cuero Superintendent Micah Dyer said the district will post the position Friday and will accept applications through Feb. 21.

Dyer plans to meet with Reeve on Friday to determine an exit time.

Dyer said he hopes to recommend a new athletic director/head football coach at the March board of trustees meeting.

Reeve told the Cuero players of his decision during Thursday’s athletic period.

New Caney went 10-1 last season and lost to Richmond Foster in the bi-district round of the Class 5A, Division I playoffs.

“The people there (New Caney) remind me a lot of the people in Cuero,” Reeve said. “It’s a large school district, but they approach things from a people-first approach, which is what you see more in a small school.

“It’s a unique blend of a small-town, small-community atmosphere but in a larger setting. They’re an up and coming program. They’ve won four district championships in a row and I really think they’re on the cusp of something special. We want to try to have the same success in New Caney as we’ve had in Cuero.”