PDA

View Full Version : 4A DI - State Championship - Carthage Bulldogs vs La Vega Pirates

oldtownag
12-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Carthage returns to State Championship game for 7th time since 2008.

Note: Check hardware total below!

Matthew328
12-16-2019, 12:01 PM
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/12/15/waco-la-vega-14-1-vs-carthage-15-0-4a-division-i-uil-football-state-championship-preview?ref=article_preview_title

oldtownag
12-16-2019, 05:44 PM
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/12/15/waco-la-vega-14-1-vs-carthage-15-0-4a-division-i-uil-football-state-championship-preview?ref=article_preview_title

Tepper's errors in his analysis don't lend credit to his pick!

La Vega 15-1 vs 14-1
Carthage having 3 pick 6's vs Lampasas
Carthage defense giving up points (I think they are #1 in points allowed)

Rocket Man
12-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Don’t those jackwagons know La Vega is in Bellmead and not Waco?

waterboy
12-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Don’t those jackwagons know La Vega is in Bellmead and not Waco?

Not likely. They probably don't see Bellmead as an incorporated city. Probably thinking it's just a neighborhood.

panfan
12-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Having watched both teams durng the playoffs, my money is on La Vega to win, by 10 or more. Yes they are undisciplined, make mistakes, but their successes outweigh their failures. Good luck to both teams.

Dawgs
12-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Having watched both teams durng the playoffs, my money is on La Vega to win, by 10 or more. Yes they are undisciplined, make mistakes, but their successes outweigh their failures. Good luck to both teams.

Never bet against Surratt. He will teach you guys one day. Throw everything you have seen to this point out. Both teams have had games you can say they played bad. LV was seconds away from not being here. Carthage could’ve gotten beat last week. Carthage has played their best game of the year in probably 5 out of the 6 state championship games that Surratt has coached in. I don’t expect that to change. Carthage plays their best game tomorrow and capitalizes on LV mistakes. I got 1 prediction. Carthage defense or special teams scores a TD. That will be the difference.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Surratt doesn’t blink twice going for it on 4th in his own territory and is rewarded with a 54 yd TD run.

That just doesn’t happen for the rest of the world. Dawgs making it look easy

I figured LaVega would be able to match up better with Dixon than lampasas but they are actually getting torched even worse

MUSTANG69
12-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Carthage 35
LaVega 21

5 min. left in 3rd

Bosqueville
12-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Carthage 35
LaVega 21

5 min. left in 3rd

Carthage... Biggest offensive line I've seen at any level.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Damn, Surratt is the man.... 7-0 in title games

Carthage fans are spoiled

MUSTANG69
12-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Carthage... Biggest offensive line I've seen at any level.

That looks like a pro line.

Tejastrue
12-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Congrats Carthage!

MUSTANG69
12-20-2019, 03:43 PM
What was the final score? I had to go back to work and couldn't watch the 4th qtr.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Think it was 42-28

Bosqueville
12-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Damn, Surratt is the man.... 7-0 in title games

Carthage fans are spoiled

He must feel very content and satisfied to not move on to bigger schools or the college ranks.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2019, 04:38 PM
He must feel very content and satisfied to not move on to bigger schools or the college ranks.

He has a son who is in JH..after he graduates I think we might see him start to look

Matthew328
12-20-2019, 08:11 PM
He also makes REALLY good money...he's got a great thing at Carthage...no need to mess it up if you are perfectly happy

Aesculus gilmus
12-20-2019, 09:09 PM
It could be argued that Jeff Traylor is the real genius here. He realized he would always be second fiddle to Scott Surratt in the East Texas 4A high school coaching ranks, escaped to the next level and in less than five years became a Division I FBS head coach drawing a base salary of $600k.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2019, 09:16 PM
It could be argued that Jeff Traylor is the real genius here. He realized he would always be second fiddle to Scott Surratt in the East Texas 4A high school coaching ranks, escaped to the next level and in less than five years became a Division I FBS head coach drawing a base salary of $600k.

Won’t be long before the bigger schools come calling....

speedbump
12-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Won’t be long before the bigger schools come calling....

If he wins.

Dawgs
12-21-2019, 12:13 AM
Surratt should’ve left when Traylor did. He can call plays and out an offense game plan together at the highest level of college football. Not a doubt in my mind. He should leave now to be honest, and start his DI career as a position coach. He is already 51. But I guess it’s up to him what he wants to do. Probably got a 250k gig with all the benefits and he is a king. Just depends on what he wants. I think after this 7th title the offers you don’t refuse will start to come.

Saggy Aggie
12-21-2019, 11:04 AM
If he wins.
he will outperform expectations. Let’s just put it that way

As jimbo said, you can’t win the Kentucky derby with a donkey.

bobcat1
12-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Surratt should’ve left when Traylor did. He can call plays and out an offense game plan together at the highest level of college football. Not a doubt in my mind. He should leave now to be honest, and start his DI career as a position coach. He is already 51. But I guess it’s up to him what he wants to do. Probably got a 250k gig with all the benefits and he is a king. Just depends on what he wants. I think after this 7th title the offers you don’t refuse will start to come.

Cowboys? :D

YTBulldogs
12-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Maybe it isn't all about $$$? Maybe this is Surratt's dream job.? He loves it there, community truly loves him. 7 for 7 in state titles. Sure he has many perks other HS coaches don't have. If not, he should get them. Carthage is blessed to have this guy. We as HS fan's are blessed to see his products he produces. Damn, what a coach!!!!

bluecat
12-22-2019, 12:42 PM
It’s going to get crowded in the top of 4AD1 with some bigger schools dropping down into 4A. Calallen has been one of the smaller schools in 5A but still makes it to qtrs or semi”s every year. They are also coached by Phil Danaher who is in Texas high school history who happens to the most wins in Texas history. He passed up GA Moore two years ago. Also dropping down is Port Lavaca who was the only team to beat Calallen this year before playoffs. Both teams have huge off/Def lines and they are very well coached. It’s going to get very interesting in 4AD1.

oldtownag
12-24-2019, 09:15 AM
It’s going to get crowded in the top of 4AD1 with some bigger schools dropping down into 4A. Calallen has been one of the smaller schools in 5A but still makes it to qtrs or semi”s every year. They are also coached by Phil Danaher who is in Texas high school history who happens to the most wins in Texas history. He passed up GA Moore two years ago. Also dropping down is Port Lavaca who was the only team to beat Calallen this year before playoffs. Both teams have huge off/Def lines and they are very well coached. It’s going to get very interesting in 4AD1.

Too bad Carthage want be around! Look out 4A D2.

Dawgs
12-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Carthage would smoke Calallen most years. They are no better than LH year in year out. When both have special classes they are really good, but only when they have those special groups can they beat those top end elite athletic teams. There is not much difference in the top of 5a DII and the top of 4a DI. Remember when Ville dropped down and was going to win titles? They won one. Next year they were good. After that middle of the pack. Kilgore won a title in old 4a before dropping to 3a. Same as Ville. 2nd year played for a title. Not much success since then. Aledo, FB Marshall, Manvel, couple others schools would be hard for 4a DI teams to compete with. But that’s it. LH will be fine in R4 of 5a DII. Aledo has dominated that division cause there are not many good teams. Plus Aledo is elite. But still. Nobody really there to challenge them.

ctown81
12-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Carthage would smoke Calallen most years. They are no better than LH year in year out. When both have special classes they are really good, but only when they have those special groups can they beat those top end elite athletic teams. There is not much difference in the top of 5a DII and the top of 4a DI. Remember when Ville dropped down and was going to win titles? They won one. Next year they were good. After that middle of the pack. Kilgore won a title in old 4a before dropping to 3a. Same as Ville. 2nd year played for a title. Not much success since then. Aledo, FB Marshall, Manvel, couple others schools would be hard for 4a DI teams to compete with. But that’s it. LH will be fine in R4 of 5a DII. Aledo has dominated that division cause there are not many good teams. Plus Aledo is elite. But still. Nobody really there to challenge them.

Henderson did the same also. The number drop doesn't affect the teams until year 2