PDA

View Full Version : 4A DII - State Championship - Wimberley Texans vs Pleasant Grove Hawks

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Friday 3:00 AT&T Stadium (Jerry's World)

Been a crazy season with so many highs and lows. Just one more! All of Us! Go Texans!

lostaussie
12-15-2019, 08:26 PM
To be honest I despise PG. Open campus in Texarkana and basically recruit from T- high and LE. Had a fellow tell me the night we played them they are reaching into Atlanta. I wish Wimbo could pull the stunning upset.......but I don't see it. They are loaded.

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 08:43 PM
I have heard this from other posters. I have no comment.

I know they are damn good. I believe this Wimberley team is much better than they have been given credit. Just may surprise the masses. The teams the Texans have beaten to get here were all very talented in their own way. They have definitely been tested. I am going to enjoy this week. Go Texans!

lostaussie
12-15-2019, 08:51 PM
As I've said a hundred times "enjoy the ride". We have been on both ends of that ride. Every season is different and you enjoy them for what they are. Any trip to the "ship" well that's a damn good season. You just have to enjoy them no matter how far they take you. Congratulations and good luck!!!

Matthew328
12-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Pleasant Grove is far from the first open enrollment district in Texas and they wont be the last

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 09:44 PM
What is your point?

Matthew328
12-15-2019, 10:06 PM
What is your point?

Exactly what I posted

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 10:07 PM
So recruiting is rampant in 4A?

Matthew328
12-15-2019, 10:12 PM
That recruiting is rampant?

Anyone with a brain knows recruiting is rampant....it just happens much earlier to skirt UIL rules...that happens in open enrollment and non-open enrollment ISDs....there's been open enrollment ISD's for almost 50 years now (most early ones were due to desegregation orders).

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Duh, man I just don't understand. I must have misplaced my brain. Go Texans!

rb585
12-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Let's be honest. PG is a huge favorite in this game, deservedly so -- they have a massive talent edge, they also have a great coach, and their 3-year starter QB scares me more than those stud DL recruits.

You'd be kinda crazy to think Wimberley will win this.

But you'd be completely crazy to think Wimberley can't win this.

Saggy Aggie
12-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Nice season Texans

Tejastrue
12-15-2019, 10:43 PM
:D :D :D:D lol

Rocket Man
12-15-2019, 11:23 PM
To be honest I despise PG. Open campus in Texarkana and basically recruit from T- high and LE. Had a fellow tell me the night we played them they are reaching into Atlanta. I wish Wimbo could pull the stunning upset.......but I don't see it. They are loaded.

That explains a lot.

Aesculus gilmus
12-16-2019, 09:08 AM

I hear you, but to be honest, Pleasant Grove in recent years has been "Gilmering" Gilmer to some extent.

I place an asterisk after our 2014 championship because of Blake Lynch. The Bux might have won state without him, but we'll never know.

The move-ins largely stopped after Jeff Traylor left. Families were moving here to play for the charismatic leader just as they do in Carthage and Texarkana. Jeff Traylor told the San Antonio media the other day after he was hired at UTSA, "I was made to lead." I don't disagree. He then added he didn't mean to sound arrogant.

Coach Turner and the other coaches left from that era are good and maybe even great from a coaching "X's and O's" standpoint, but the charisma of a Traylor, Surratt or Gibson is not there. It's just an "it" factor that you have or don't have as a personality. It is very rare and you can't go to coaching school and learn to be charismatic.

I don't need to remind people on here that you can find a post I made in the summer of 2017 after having seen the PG 7on7 team in Gilmer that they were a sleeper to win state that year. That was when it became obvious to me that the Gibson charisma was taking effect there as we used to see here for Jeff.

jason
12-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Pigskin Prep says Pleasant Grove by 21.

waterboy
12-16-2019, 09:42 AM
I hear you, but to be honest, Pleasant Grove in recent years has been "Gilmering" Gilmer to some extent.

I place an asterisk after our 2014 championship because of Blake Lynch. The Bux might have won state without him, but we'll never know.

The move-ins largely stopped after Jeff Traylor left. Families were moving here to play for the charismatic leader just as they do in Carthage and Texarkana. Jeff Traylor told the San Antonio media the other day after he was hired at UTSA, "I was made to lead." I don't disagree. He then added he didn't mean to sound arrogant.

Coach Turner and the other coaches left from that era are good and maybe even great from a coaching "X's and O's" standpoint, but the charisma of a Traylor, Surratt or Gibson is not there. It's just an "it" factor that you have or don't have as a personality. It is very rare and you can't go to coaching school and learn to be charismatic.

I don't need to remind people on here that you can find a post I made in the summer of 2017 after having seen their 7on7 team in Gilmer that they were a sleeper to win state that year. That was when it became obvious to me that the Gibson charisma was taking effect there as we used to see here for Jeff.

I remember everything you posted here. I remember you saying PG was a sleeper that year. I kind of shrugged it off because I was never impressed with them up to that point.

Definitely NO ASTERISK should be put on any title we won. I believe Gilmer would've won state even without Lynch in 2014. Lynch was a sort of replacement for somebody I think would've been an even better player than him, Desmond Pollard. We'll never know for sure.

I just don't like PG, and it's not just their fans. Their fans are obnoxious and don't know how to win with grace, nor do most of them have any clue of the rules of football. Their team also gets away with dirty play (taunting, and extracurricular stuff like kneeing, stepping on, raking, baiting, etc.) not to mention they rarely ever get called for obvious holding. Holding is something you could probably call on nearly every play, they just away with more of it. Lots of reasons I just don't like PG. If it is any other team that beats us I will root them on. I just can't do that with PG. I did in 2017, but not anymore after their true colors showed.

I agree with what you are describing about the coaches, too. You either have "it" or you don't. The leadership is key, from the head coach on down to the players.

Matthew328
12-16-2019, 12:38 PM
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/12/20/texarkana-pleasant-grove-14-1-vs-wimberley-12-3-4a-division-ii-uil-football-state-championship-preview?ref=article_preview_img

bag-o-chips
12-16-2019, 05:20 PM
I have heard this from other posters. I have no comment.

I know they are damn good. I believe this Wimberley team is much better than they have been given credit. Just may surprise the masses. The teams the Texans have beaten to get here were all very talented in their own way. They have definitely been tested. I am going to enjoy this week. Go Texans!

Would this be why you have no comment on open enrollment?

Do I have to pay a fee to apply for an out-of-district slot at Wimberley ISD?
No. Wimberley ISD welcomes out-of-district students to apply and if accepted, to attend the district tuition-free.

Hearing they have about 100 transfer students

bag-o-chips
12-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Pleasant Grove is far from the first open enrollment district in Texas and they wont be the last

Wimberley is as well and it has worked out for them!

Tejastrue
12-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Absolutely not. I'm close enough here to know what we do and don't do. When I mention recruitment...open enrollment is a very small part of that. I am not going to turn this thread into anything else than what it is..for the State Championship.

Would this be why you have no comment on open enrollment?

Do I have to pay a fee to apply for an out-of-district slot at Wimberley ISD?
No. Wimberley ISD welcomes out-of-district students to apply and if accepted, to attend the district tuition-free.

Hearing they have about 100 transfer students

zebrablue2
12-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Best of luck Texans! I'm voting against y'all on this poll just as I did last week, which will give the edge to the Texans.
Pulling for you all again!!!

Tejastrue
12-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Wait, what? lol

Tejastrue
12-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Our #9 will play.

KingRob
12-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Would like to see the Texans win it, but I dunno, PG too strong. PG 34-20

Safe travels!!

Tejastrue
12-17-2019, 06:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EL7urKVX0AAELiY?format=png&name=small

cowboyandchrist
12-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Texans have earn the right to play for the state championship and congrats, it is hard to get there.
I am afraid PG is just to big, fast, and strong on defense.
Carthage beat them because of the best O line in 4A. Our line average 300 lbs and took over the game midway through the 3rd quarter. It was 14 to 14. The Dawgs pulled away in the fourth because they wore out the PG D line.
I don’t believe The Texans have the size to do that to PG.

Yoe_09
12-17-2019, 08:27 PM

I do cringe a bit when I hear statements like this...particularly in the 4A and below classifications. For the most part, a large majority of the smaller schools in Texas are dealt with the hand they are given. To me, it does diminish what you're accomplishing if you're just collecting all the talent from a larger pool. You should win it all. I'm not sitting here pointing fingers at any particular team. That's just my opinion on this topic.

I do understand that success breeds success, and people want to be part of that.

scrub c
12-18-2019, 06:45 AM
...success breeds success, and people want to be part of that.

That is the bottom line, its not recruiting - kids change schools now-a-days just like the NCAA kids. Cant fault the school for having a great program and outside kids wanting to be a part of it.

Tejastrue
12-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Having fun. Enjoying the hype this week around town. Go Texans!

rb585
12-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Texans have earn the right to play for the state championship and congrats, it is hard to get there.
I am afraid PG is just to big, fast, and strong on defense.
Carthage beat them because of the best O line in 4A. Our line average 300 lbs and took over the game midway through the 3rd quarter. It was 14 to 14. The Dawgs pulled away in the fourth because they wore out the PG D line.
I don’t believe The Texans have the size to do that to PG.
Thank you for the solid post with actual facts-based analysis. Be careful, though, because this kind of stuff will get you kicked out of Smoaky.com.

rb585
12-19-2019, 05:46 PM
https://etypeservices.com/SWF/LocalUser/Wimberley1//Magazine311005/Full/index.aspx?II=311005&fbclid=IwAR0-NyvDv9jYUbSq1fW_ALCH2qOVZ0TArz4fJyIbv8C8-ILiVRCQ3xbLJb8#1/z

Tejastrue
12-19-2019, 07:11 PM
That is awesome rb585..

A little something else..I hope that everyone can view it.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20191219/surprising-wimberley-aims-for-third-state-title-after-strong-playoff-surge

Tejastrue
12-20-2019, 11:03 AM
GameDay. Go Texans!!

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2019, 06:54 PM
According to Matt, PG was missing it’s top OL, top WR, top 2 way player, and had a banged up qb and rb....

Tejastrue
12-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Lol.
Congrats to PG.

Matthew328
12-20-2019, 08:08 PM
According to Matt, PG was missing it’s top OL, top WR, top 2 way player, and had a banged up qb and rb....

Thats correct Stanfill is the top OL he's been out, Jackson Cobb was their best WR he's been out...Nick Martin tore his ACL in the first quarter last week..Harmon I think got hurt on the first play...his passes didnt have much on them most of the game...Garrett had a hip pointer and didnt play last week....definitely wasn't at full strength but he looked very good...

The difference was Pleasant Grove's defense they really clamped down all game...

Aesculus gilmus
12-20-2019, 08:47 PM
I believe Harmon got hurt on the second kickoff after Hicks had returned the opening kickoff 88 yards for a touchdown.

I have never seen a 4A school make their starting QB play on special teams. He continued to do so even after that.

Matthew328
12-20-2019, 09:02 PM
I believe Harmon got hurt on the second kickoff after Hicks had returned the opening kickoff 88 yards for a touchdown.

I have never seen a 4A school make their starting QB play on special teams. He continued to do so even after that.

He's a definite gamer...thought it was crazy in the semis when was out there on special teams...thats a lot of punishment they exposed him to

Tejastrue
12-21-2019, 08:12 PM
PG was the better team but tell us something about Wimberley, Matt.

Matthew328
12-21-2019, 08:51 PM
PG was the better team but tell us something about Wimberley, Matt.

Thought their offense got totally shut down...but I was very impressed with how their front seven played against a great rushing attack....they did a good job

Tejastrue
12-21-2019, 09:27 PM
No insight?

Matthew328
12-21-2019, 10:41 PM
No insight?

What other insight would you like??? I thought I summed up my thoughts on the game fairly succinctly

Tejastrue
12-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Not trying to be difficult here. Tell us about our players like you did PGs.

Matthew328
12-21-2019, 10:59 PM
Not trying to be difficult here. Tell us about our players like you did PGs.

Honestly no one really stood out other than some good runs early from Wray....I thought McCollum looked great in the Navarro game but he had a rough game Friday...and PG's D-Line had a lot to do w/that/...thought Olmedo had some moments on the defensive side of the ball

Tejastrue
12-21-2019, 11:06 PM
How about our injury report..lol

Matthew328
12-21-2019, 11:10 PM
How about our injury report..lol

Coach Warren didnt give it to me...

Tejastrue
12-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Typical of Coach Warren..no excuses. Don't always agree with you Matt but I appreciate and respect what you do. Been a fun season. Go Texans!

zebrablue2
12-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Good year and season Texans!!!

rb585
12-23-2019, 10:20 AM

You know what? This is football. In football, players get hurt and banged up, on every team, especially by the 16th game.

rb585
12-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Coach Warren didnt give it to me...

Coach Lambert did, but you ignored it.

Tejastrue
12-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Is this true?

Matthew328
12-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Coach Lambert did, but you ignored it.

I dont know...maybe he did....I honestly dont remember getting it...how did he give it to me?

rb585
12-23-2019, 06:41 PM
I dont know...maybe he did....I honestly dont remember getting it...how did he give it to me?

https://twitter.com/Matt_Stepp817/status/1208172628114116608

Matthew328
12-23-2019, 06:46 PM
https://twitter.com/Matt_Stepp817/status/1208172628114116608

Ahh he sent it on twitter...yeah I definitely miss stuff on twitter...especially on state weekend when my mentions are crazy...fair enough there you have it Wimberley's injuries

Tejastrue
12-23-2019, 10:51 PM
https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/high-school/hs-football/wimberley-texans-uil-state-championsip-4a-2019/269-7ae2b857-c759-488c-9249-5b8434ec57f6

rb585
12-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Ahh he sent it on twitter...yeah I definitely miss stuff on twitter...especially on state weekend when my mentions are crazy...fair enough there you have it Wimberley's injuries

I guess in the future our coaches should fax the doctors' reports to you, like Gibson did?

Matthew328
12-24-2019, 07:15 AM
That'd be great!! I prefer e-mail though...much easier for me to keep up with!

Saggy Aggie
12-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Lol the butthurt on this thread is real.

I’ve been trying not to make any more crying jokes but I only have so much self control

Saggy Aggie
12-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Sorry to drag you into the fire Matt. The opportunity here was just too good and I couldn’t pass it up

Tejastrue
12-24-2019, 10:35 PM
Come on Saggy....don't try to drag people into your inept world. Lmao