PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove 4A DII Region 2 Final

lostaussie
11-30-2019, 02:32 PM
7:00 Friday Dec. 6th @ Lobo Stadium, Longview Tx.
Pleasant Grove will be the Home Team

waterboy
11-30-2019, 07:48 PM
7:00 Friday Dec. 6th @ Lobo Stadium, Longview Tx.
Pleasant Grove will be the Home Team

I think the Buckeyes take 'em this time.

44INAROW
11-30-2019, 09:48 PM

Good Luck Buckeyes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lostaussie
12-01-2019, 08:07 AM

They have a confidence that I have not seen in a while.

Rocket Man
12-01-2019, 04:18 PM
I’ll pull for Gilmer. Just glad none of the obnoxious PG fans that are on the FNR app are on here.

lostaussie
12-01-2019, 08:57 PM
We gonna need all the help we can get!!!

44INAROW
12-02-2019, 10:24 AM
I’ll pull for Gilmer. Just glad none of the obnoxious PG fans that are on the FNR app are on here.

Ain’t that the truth. Good Luck Buckeyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterboy
12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
I look for a crowd similar to the one for the Gilmer / Gladewater game in 2014. There was an estimated crowd of over 15,000 people in a stadium that holds about 9,212. You might want to get there early. I don't think there will be quite that many, but there will be some overflow onto the grass hill on the south end.

Aesculus gilmus
12-02-2019, 12:42 PM
https://youtu.be/NhdYXNwvfNo

lostaussie
12-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Lolol. Quite possibly the greatest play in our high schools storied history!!! I can't ever watch that enough.

movethechain
12-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Lolol. Quite possibly the greatest play in our high schools storied history!!! I can't ever watch that enough.

Well, there was also this couple of plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQ0eAwtA_4

lostaussie
12-03-2019, 10:58 AM
I look for a crowd similar to the one for the Gilmer / Gladewater game in 2014. There was an estimated crowd of over 15,000 people in a stadium that holds about 9,212. You might want to get there early. I don't think there will be quite that many, but there will be some overflow onto the grass hill on the south end.

I don't think the crowd is this big. Maybe we get a lot of bandwagon fans. They dang sure won't show up for the home games. They all spoiled!!!

cowboyandchrist
12-03-2019, 09:20 PM
I always pull for the buckeyes except when they play my Dawgs.
I just don’t know if Gilmer can score enough on that PG defense this deep into the playoffs. I do think the buckeye defense is good enough to make stops but beating PG is going to be a very high mountain to climb.
Good luck Buckeyes.
Hopefully the Dawgs new district mates.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Ain’t that the truth. Good Luck Buckeyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey 44inarow was trying to make it early this past friday to eat at Rosie's but were closed, went down the main street looking finally settle for good ole whataburger. did think about trying the burger place next to it.

Going with Gilmer orange and black

44INAROW
12-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Hey 44inarow was trying to make it early this past friday to eat at Rosie's but were closed, went down the main street looking finally settle for good ole whataburger. did think about trying the burger place next to it.

Going with Gilmer orange and black

I haven’t eaten at Monster Burger in ages but hear the burgers and CFS are good.. best burgers, burrito plates and cut French fries are at KN ...take a right at intersection of 183/87 (old McDonald’s) bout 3/4 miles east on left.... you’re welcome... I work 2 doors down from Rosies... holler if you’re ever there... the girls there all know me. (Lorey not 44in a row). LOL

Scoop27
12-04-2019, 12:15 AM
Does Elynn Henderson still write sports for the newspaper or on the radio ? I knew him when we covered the Houston Texans together about 15 years ago

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Yes. In fact, had you been at the Texans' game Sunday night, you'd have seen him in person.

http://www.gilmermirror.com/view/full_story/27683447/article-Texans-edge-Patriots--28-22

waterboy
12-04-2019, 08:58 AM
I don't think the crowd is this big. Maybe we get a lot of bandwagon fans. They dang sure won't show up for the home games. They all spoiled!!!

You're right. Our fans are spoiled, and we do get the bandwagon fans. I still think the stadium fills up because, believe it or not, there's still other schools' fans that like to watch football, especially playoff football. It's in Longview, very close to home, and Lobo fans, along with SH, PT, Tatum, UG, UH, WO, Harmony, and a host of other schools no longer in the playoffs will have some of their fans come. It happens every time we have a playoff game in East Texas, especially this late in the playoffs. I've seen a LOT of fans from other schools coming to playoff games. But, like I've said, it won't be anywhere near the 15K that was at that Gilmer / Gladewater game in 2014.

waterboy
12-04-2019, 09:08 AM
I always pull for the buckeyes except when they play my Dawgs.
I just don’t know if Gilmer can score enough on that PG defense this deep into the playoffs. I do think the buckeye defense is good enough to make stops but beating PG is going to be a very high mountain to climb.
Good luck Buckeyes.
Hopefully the Dawgs new district mates.

We scored 24 on them the first go round, and it should've been at least 31 had not one of our receivers literally drop the ball just before going into the endzone. We also had 3 other turnovers, several blown coverages, and penalties. We clean that up like we've done over the past several games and we can most definitely beat them, in my opinion. Just saying...

Mistakes will happen, and we don't have to play perfect. We just have to play better than PG Friday night.

Honestly, I think we will have to score at least 34 or 35 points to beat them. PG had a lot of trouble stopping us in the first meeting. We stopped ourselves as much as they did.

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2019, 09:33 PM
In the first meeting, Gilmer rushed 27 times for only 72 yards (Bush carried 20 times for just 60 yards).

If the Bux still can't move the ball on the ground, I don't like our chances. Realistically, Gilmer is a 10-point underdog in this one.

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2019, 08:43 AM
https://twitter.com/KETK_MikeA/status/1202458804169977857

The game plan may well be to try to run on Pleasant Grove.

I wish them good luck with that. It didn't work the first time, but then it really didn't seem to be the plan either in that first game.

Or it may have come down to Mike Tyson's famous quote: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

lostaussie
12-05-2019, 09:00 AM
https://www.easttexasmatters.com/sports/stage-is-set-for-rematch-between-district-rivals-gilmer-and-pleasant-grove-at-lobo-stadium/

waterboy
12-05-2019, 09:56 AM
In the first meeting, Gilmer rushed 27 times for only 72 yards (Bush carried 20 times for just 60 yards).

If the Bux still can't move the ball on the ground, I don't like our chances. Realistically, Gilmer is a 10-point underdog in this one.

Yes, I remember. The focus for PG was to shut down the run game and force us to pass, mainly because our QB was prone to make mistakes. We did pass a lot..., 312 yards worth. What hurt us in our first matchup were the two interceptions Hurt threw, the fumble by Ray who just dropped the ball before crossing the goal line with nobody close enough to touch him, and about 3 completely blown coverages on defense. Those kinds of things can't happen in this meeting or that "10-point" underdog role will definitely stand, and it might get worse than that. Personally, I think if both teams play their best, it's less than a TD difference in favor of PG. From all the meetings with PG, I've noticed they always seem to have some trouble with teams that can actually execute pass plays regularly without making mistakes. Running on them won't be successful unless you are passing the ball effectively. Needless to say, we will have to pass the ball a lot this week. I'm being about as realistic as I can be. We don't have to have a "perfect" game to beat them. We just have to be better than PG Friday night. Easier said than done, I know.

lostaussie
12-05-2019, 10:25 AM
This is our best shot in the last 4 meetings. Gilmer has the confidence overflowing right now. We need to start strong and get a little momentum. A slow start will probably doom us.

waterboy
12-05-2019, 10:51 AM
This is our best shot in the last 4 meetings. Gilmer has the confidence overflowing right now. We need to start strong and get a little momentum. A slow start will probably doom us.

Agree. We will have to take momentum early, and sustain it for the better portion of the game. We have to have the mistakes we made in our last meeting corrected. If we do these things we win. If not, it'll be tough for us to have any chance to win. We are definitely not nearly as far apart talent and experience wise as we were last season. We are still a young team, playing lots of juniors and sophomores.

lostaussie
12-05-2019, 01:28 PM
The next two seasons should put us back to what we expect. With a little luck Friday night we may end up a year ahead of schedule.

44INAROW
12-05-2019, 09:02 PM
We paid the 30 day pass so will be watching this one on my TV tomorrow. Good luck Buckeyes

lostaussie
12-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Thank you Fo Fo

griff
12-06-2019, 01:25 AM

No kidding!

waterboy
12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Man, I just got back on that app today. Those PG fans are exactly as you say, obnoxious, and also vulgar. Of course, they are relatively new to winning, so I gave them a pass for a while. Now, there is absolutely no humility among the lot. You can show humility while being confident. I guess they haven't learned that yet, even after almost 3 seasons of winning. I would absolutely love for the Buckeyes to humble them tonight. That would make my Christmas.

bobcat1
12-06-2019, 10:36 AM
I hope Gilmer wins and upsets all of my predictions!

44INAROW
12-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Man, I just got back on that app today. Those PG fans are exactly as you say, obnoxious, and also vulgar. Of course, they are relatively new to winning, so I gave them a pass for a while. Now, there is absolutely no humility among the lot. You can show humility while being confident. I guess they haven't learned that yet, even after almost 3 seasons of winning. I would absolutely love for the Buckeyes to humble them tonight. That would make my Christmas.
They were OBNOXIOUS last year - REVENGE is the best way to shut them up.... GATA Buckeyes!

bobcat1
12-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Listening live at https://portal.stretchinternet.com/gilmer/portal.htm?eventId=572904&streamType=audio

lostaussie
12-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Well we really stunk that up. PG is just a cut above. I don't think anyone in DII is staying close, much less beating them.

bobcat1
12-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Well we really stunk that up. PG is just a cut above. I don't think anyone in DII is staying close, much less beating them.
Yep!

Aesculus gilmus
12-06-2019, 11:57 PM
The consolation in all this for me is that Pleasant Grove has never beaten Carthage and probably never will as long as Surratt is there.

So this will be the Hawks' second and final state championship in 4A Division II for a while.

waterboy
12-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Welp, I was about as wrong as I could be. I thought we turned the proverbial corner and were more mentally tough than we showed. How many of y'all believe there is a right way to win and a wrong way to win? I would absolutely LOVE to say somebody will beat PG, but....it doesn't look like that is going to happen this season. I do think their dominance ends after this season, although they will still have a good team. Man, I sure do miss the days where we had an almost unstoppable offense. We haven't had a very good defense this century, but we could count on being able to score enough on any team to stay in a game. We won't get back to our dominate winning ways under our current coaches, in my opinion. I've heard it mentioned many times that teams will take on the personality of the head coach. Well, Coach Turner is too nice.

BTW, I think you are right, Aesculus gilmus. I don't think it's "because" of Carthage dropping, although that definitely will make it more difficult. I just don't think they will have another Ben Harmon anytime soon.

lostaussie
12-09-2019, 09:45 AM
We had to play mistake free and have a little luck to get by them. Neither of those happened and everyone got to see the final result. It happens. We got nothing to hang out heads about. I firmly believe that the future is bright.