PDA

View Full Version : State championship glow fades quickly for Cuero

Scoop27
10-24-2019, 05:57 AM
From The Victoria Advocate

CUERO — Cuero coach Travis Reeve gathered his team at Gobbler Stadium on Tuesday evening and congratulated them for one of their best practices of the season.

The workout was similar to those the Gobblers have gone through during Reeve’s eight years as head coach.

But the difference is crystal clear for a team coming off its fourth state championship.

Cuero has struggled to a 1-6 overall and 0-2 District 13-4A, Division II record heading into Thursday’s game against Austin Eastside Memorial (0-7, 0-2) at Gobbler Stadium.

The Gobblers must defeat Eastside Memorial, Navarro and Wimberley to avoid missing the playoffs for the first time since 2011.

Cuero also doesn’t need a reminder that it failed to reach the postseason in 1988 after winning its third state title in 1987.

“Our kids have a lot of pride,” Reeve said. “They understand the tradition we represent and each and every day we go out our sole purpose is getting better and to get to where we want to be.”

Reeve knew Cuero’s No. 4 state ranking coming into the season was based largely on last season.

The Gobblers graduated 28 of the 35 players from last year’s varsity roster, including Jordan Whittington at Texas, Keiran Grant at Army and Trey Moore at Tarleton State.

“Our identity is definitely different this year,” he said. “We’ve had some guys in the past that could score from anywhere on the field. This year, we’ve had to sustain more drives and be much more methodical in being able to move the football. We’ve been able to do it at times. We just haven’t been able to do it enough to be where we want to be at this point in the season.”

Statistically, the Gobblers have been outgained by less than 73 yards per game. But they have thrown for an average of 77 yards per game, and have a turnover margin of minus-10.
What it’s boiled down to is big plays and turnovers,” Reeve said. “We just have not won in those two categories and you’ve got to win in those two categories to give yourself a consistent chance to win. We’ve been right there several times. We just haven’t been able to make enough of those plays.”

Senior Kobe Giles celebrated Cuero’s state championship at AT&T Stadium in Arlington last December, but realizes his high school career could end in early November.

“I learned what it’s like to be successful last year and then having to do so much this year,” he said. “Whether you like it or not, that’s life and sometimes things may not go your way. It will definitely help me down the road.”

Giles’ younger teammates want to make sure next season is better.

Cuero also doesn’t need a reminder that it failed to reach the postseason in 1988 after winning its third state title in 1987.

“Our kids have a lot of pride,” Reeve said. “They understand the tradition we represent and each and every day we go out our sole purpose is getting better and to get to where we want to be.”

Reeve knew Cuero’s No. 4 state ranking coming into the season was based largely on last season.

The Gobblers graduated 28 of the 35 players from last year’s varsity roster, including Jordan Whittington at Texas, Keiran Grant at Army and Trey Moore at Tarleton State.

“Our identity is definitely different this year,” he said. “We’ve had some guys in the past that could score from anywhere on the field. This year, we’ve had to sustain more drives and be much more methodical in being able to move the football. We’ve been able to do it at times. We just haven’t been able to do it enough to be where we want to be at this point in the season.”

Statistically, the Gobblers have been outgained by less than 73 yards per game. But they have thrown for an average of 77 yards per game, and have a turnover margin of minus-10.

“What it’s boiled down to is big plays and turnovers,” Reeve said. “We just have not won in those two categories and you’ve got to win in those two categories to give yourself a consistent chance to win. We’ve been right there several times. We just haven’t been able to make enough of those plays.”

Senior Kobe Giles celebrated Cuero’s state championship at AT&T Stadium in Arlington last December, but realizes his high school career could end in early November.

“I learned what it’s like to be successful last year and then having to do so much this year,” he said. “Whether you like it or not, that’s life and sometimes things may not go your way. It will definitely help me down the road.”

Giles’ younger teammates want to make sure next season is better.

“You just can never be satisfied no matter where you’re ranked or where you’re at,” said junior Austin Schwarz. “You just keep on working because anything can happen.”

Reeve has not experienced a losing season since he began his coaching career as an assistant at San Antonio MacArthur.

But as much as he dislikes the results, he has no complaints about the effort of his players.

“Obviously, you’re judged by your success and by your accomplishments,” he said. “But for us, we don’t fill like we’re defined by winning a state championship or not winning a certain amount of games. Those things are really important and we want to win as many as we can. But at the same time, we want our kids leaving here as better men and better people. Ultimately, that’s what we’ll be judged by.”

arges
10-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Cuero won at least 4 games in 1988. There is no way that they will win more than beating Eastside tonight. When the mighty fall, they fall hard. Same thing happened to Refugio in1969 after a co-championship with Estacado in 1968. Kinda give a thrill to an old Apache.

44INAROW
10-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Been a tough year for the Gobblers, that's no secret... I'm no less a Gobbler fan than I was 50 years ago. Losers LOVE to watch the mighty fall. Sometime's it's the only victory they have.

I have no crystal ball to tell what will happen in the next years, but I don't imagine the Gobblers stay down for long. Not many loosing seasons in 30 years, (what constitutes a ‘losing season’?). Not too shabby in my opinion. It happens. I am proud to be a Gobbler Fan - and while many are ridiculing the team and our coaches (some of the same people praising them in December, 2018) The players and coaches are spending their off time (what little of it they have) doing community service projects, mentoring younger CISD children and helping local service organizations.

I am so proud of these young men!! It's so nice to read and visually see the positive acts they are doing, separately as well as a team, and not reading about negatives and such in the newspaper. It also is note worthy that it hasn't gone un-noticed that many of our district mates have been "defending" (if you will) the Gobblers on other forums. That means alot and shows the reputation Coach Reeve and his staff of coaches have among their peers.

GO MEAN GREEN!

lbjacj
10-24-2019, 06:08 PM
I lived in Arnekeville from 1983-1986 and my niece was a cheerleader at Cuero from 85-87. Three straight trips to the finals and finally winning it all in 1987! I will always be a Gobbler fan! (Unless they are playing Wimberley 😎) They will be back! Go mean green!

bag-o-chips
10-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Been a tough year for the Gobblers, that's no secret... I'm no less a Gobbler fan than I was 50 years ago. Losers LOVE to watch the mighty fall. Sometime's it's the only victory they have.

I have no crystal ball to tell what will happen in the next years, but I don't imagine the Gobblers stay down for long. 1 losing season in 30 years, not to shabby in my opinion. It happens. I am proud to be a Gobbler Fan - and while many are ridiculing the team and our coaches (some of the same people praising them in December, 2018) The players and coaches are spending their off time (what little of it they have) doing community service projects, mentoring younger CISD children and helping local service organizations.

I am so proud of these young men!! It's so nice to read and visually see the positive acts they are doing, separately as well as a team, and not reading about negatives and such in the newspaper. It also is note worthy that it hasn't gone un-noticed that many of our district mates have been "defending" (if you will) the Gobblers on other forums. That means alot and shows the reputation Coach Reeve and his staff of coaches have among their peers.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I know it must be tough. Happens to everybody but in actuality there is around 6 or 7 losing seasons since 1988. Still never down for long!

44INAROW
10-24-2019, 06:28 PM
I know it must be tough. Happens to everybody but in actuality there is around 6 or 7 losing seasons since 1988. Still never down for long!

I have short term memory loss LOL. I choose to forget the bad ones. But hadn’t been one like 2019 in a while. Heard it’s “character building”. Damn, we are going to be FULL of character after this year. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUNHO
10-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Cuero is just giving every one else their shot this year.I think that's real class.Next year all bets are off.lol

BwdLion73
10-25-2019, 05:56 PM

GO MEAN GREEN!

;):clap:

KingRob
10-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Well said Lorey, i agree, but I guess I'm also a little selfish. It's a disappointing season, but if it means getting to watch The Cuero Gobblers win their 4th STATE CHAMPIONSHIP in person, (getting something that was on my bucket list), then so be it. There is still a long list of high schools that have NEVER won a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! The Gobblers will be back. I'm willing to deal with this years season.