Buckeyes must play in Carthage.

solocam
09-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Dogs Roll

oldtownag
09-16-2019, 08:57 AM

waterboy
09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
I just hope we can at least make a good showing. Carthage will embarrass us if we don't show up fired up, prepared, and ready to play. They might just do that anyway. This one will likely not be close after the 1st quarter sadly enough.

I will say this, though. We will match up better physically than last season. Carthage is just better coached, and that's the biggest difference maker.

d0tc0m
09-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Carthage is looking every bit as advertised. This one is going to get ugly. And I don't know that it's much of a commentary on the state of Gilmer. I think the Buckeyes are still going to make some noise come postseason time. But the Dawgs are flat out ridiculous.

waterboy
09-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Carthage is looking every bit as advertised. This one is going to get ugly. And I don't know that it's much of a commentary on the state of Gilmer. I think the Buckeyes are still going to make some noise come postseason time. But the Dawgs are flat out ridiculous.

Our tough schedule is doing us no favors for sure, but there was a time when we would go undefeated most years, even against the competition we are playing this year. Gilmer "used" to be that team that others would look to as their greatest challenge. I can honestly say that it ISN'T the personnel we are fielding this year. We have good size, good speed, and lots of talent. I've seen teams in our past do much better with less talent than we have this season. That's the truth. If we keep shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties, we will never get to that next level where we can really compete with the upper echelon teams.

cowboyandchrist
09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
I believe Gilmer will play good in district and go deep in the playoffs.
This week is going to be almost an impossible task for the Bucks.
Examples
Dawg O line
RT 6’6 333 lbs, RG 6’4 328 lbs, C 6’2 255
LT 6’5 310 lbs LG 6’2 340 lbs TE 6’3 230 lbs
QB 6’3 225 cannon for a arm
3 and 7 areTwo of the best receivers in any classification
Number13 and 11 are big time receivers and will not allow double coverage on Dixon or Williams.
Courtney has run the ball with big numbers in three games behind a great O line. Biggest O line the Dawgs have ever had.
Dawg D has been on pace to be the best defense the Dawgs have had.
They have allowed 13 points in three games. Both TD passes were on plays where the defensive player went up for the INT.
They allowed - 9 yards rushing game one.
Allowed 16 yards rushing in game 2.
Allowed 102 yards rushing to 5A Marshall.
The D line has stop the run and made many sacks and tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
Linebackers have been unreal. Making plays from sideline to sideline.
I suggest to go review video clips.
Even I did not expect to see what I have been witnessing.
I am a fan of Gilmer football except when the play the Dawgs.
I expect Gilmer to give a great effort, this game will only make them better.
I just hope the Dawgs are not looking past Gilmer and thinking of PG.
one game at a time Dawgs.
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

bobcat1
09-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Poor Poor Gilmer.

Dawgs
09-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Hang in there Gilmer. Sooner or later they will change the coach. Just gotta make the right hire next time. I would beg Kurt back. He has kinda got Tyler Lee rolling a little bit, with the deck kind of stacked against him. Still have big time respect for Gilmer. There was a time Carthage program strived to be like Gilmer. Wasn’t a better team in the state. Dudes would beat anybody.

Dawgs
09-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Guys, Carthage is loaded this year. Having a hard time figuring out how loaded cause we can’t get a competitive game. I hope Gilmer, but I doubt it. Should be PG. But if Carthage runs over PG it’s over. Send the trophy, haha. Only thing that worries me is a run heavy team that runs something funky like wing/slot T. And that’s just cause we haven’t seen it this year. I can’t see a team being successful against Carthage with that offense, but I didn’t think LH would rush for 500 last year either. So I need to see it 1st. Shut that down, and I’m confident there is not a team that will be able to hang with the Dawgs until Jerry World and Argyle or LV.

waterboy
09-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Poor Poor Gilmer.

You know exactly what us Gilmer fans are going through. Celina went through this after a whole bunch of years of annual success only to see it fall apart for awhile. I hate to see our kids not put in their best position to win. I can honestly say that it definitely isn't for lack of talent this year.

Playing against a team like Paris, throw a pick-6 on the first play from scrimmage, and later throw an interception in the endzone when we are about to score. Our QB had an off night, and the majority of it had nothing to do with what Paris was doing. Overthrows, bad timing, and dropped passes are all things that you can fix with practice and repetitions. Mason Hurt has all the physical tools to be very successful. Some of the play calling was suspect at best, too. I won't even go into the defensive problems we have. You already know how I feel about that.

I will say I was impressed with Paris. They do what they do, and they do it very well..., a sign of a well-coached team. They were mentally tough. It's hard to pin point what I was most impressed with, but one thing did stand out to me for sure..., the play of their secondary. They do something our secondary doesn't do, or rarely do, and that is TURN around when the ball is in the air and play the ball. WATCH the receiver's eyes!

waterboy
09-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Hang in there Gilmer. Sooner or later they will change the coach. Just gotta make the right hire next time. I would beg Kurt back. He has kinda got Tyler Lee rolling a little bit, with the deck kind of stacked against him. Still have big time respect for Gilmer. There was a time Carthage program strived to be like Gilmer. Wasn’t a better team in the state. Dudes would beat anybody.

Honestly, the loss of Kurt probably hurt us as much as the loss of Jeff. It at least caused our dropoff to be much more rapid. I still say we can make some noise in the playoffs, but we have a LOT of work to do to get there. Going against teams like Paris, Carthage, and Newton in successive weeks is a gauntlet that is not for the faint of heart. I will be happy if we win at least one of those games. Right now, it's not looking that way. We have to be able to play UP to the competition. I may be making too much out of last week's loss, who knows? Paris is a very good football team, and certainly was the better team Friday night (obviously), but what bothers me is we didn't play well at all. We got behind the eight ball very early.

Aesculus gilmus
09-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Our tough schedule is doing us no favors for sure, but there was a time when we would go undefeated most years, even against the competition we are playing this year.

Some years, not most. We'll never know for certain. Traylor didn't believe in running the gauntlet before district. Just look at schedules from the early 2000s up until when he left. Plus, our district games in those early years were mostly against doormats as well.

Aesculus gilmus
09-17-2019, 10:15 AM
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/35596.html I'd say the Grantland Rice quotation at the preceding link describes Gilmer now.

With Traylor, it was this one from Lombardi: https://vimeo.com/14810577

1st and goal
09-17-2019, 12:31 PM
I believe Gilmer will play good in district and go deep in the playoffs.
This week is going to be almost an impossible task for the Bucks.
Examples
Dawg O line
RT 6’6 333 lbs, RG 6’4 328 lbs, C 6’2 255
LT 6’5 310 lbs LG 6’2 340 lbs TE 6’3 230 lbs
QB 6’3 225 cannon for a arm
3 and 7 areTwo of the best receivers in any classification
Number13 and 11 are big time receivers and will not allow double coverage on Dixon or Williams.
Courtney has run the ball with big numbers in three games behind a great O line. Biggest O line the Dawgs have ever had.
Dawg D has been on pace to be the best defense the Dawgs have had.
They have allowed 13 points in three games. Both TD passes were on plays where the defensive player went up for the INT.
They allowed - 9 yards rushing game one.
Allowed 16 yards rushing in game 2.
Allowed 102 yards rushing to 5A Marshall.
The D line has stop the run and made many sacks and tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
Linebackers have been unreal. Making plays from sideline to sideline.
I suggest to go review video clips.
Even I did not expect to see what I have been witnessing.
I am a fan of Gilmer football except when the play the Dawgs.
I expect Gilmer to give a great effort, this game will only make them better.
I just hope the Dawgs are not looking past Gilmer and thinking of PG.
one game at a time Dawgs.
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

Why is the center so small???

:stirpot::wave:

Move ins? What are y'all feeding those kids up there? Are they eating all that corn y'all grow?

Dawgs
09-17-2019, 12:59 PM

Move ins? What are y'all feeding those kids up there? Are they eating all that corn y'all grow?

We do have some move-ins contributing. That’s the truth. But it is what it is. You build it they will come. It’s not recruiting, it’s parents wanting their kids to play for a program like Carthage. Same thing that happens in DFW and Houston area. Same thing that happened in Gilmer when they were at their peek. Just the way it is.

lostaussie
09-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Poor Poor Gilmer.

We don't need your pity!!!

oldtownag
09-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Carthage uses the underutilized pulling center so they must be quick and shifty.

1st and goal
09-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Carthage uses the underutilized pulling center so they must be quick and shifty.

:) Hope he doesn't get trampled by all that beef.

waterboy
09-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Some years, not most. We'll never know for certain. Traylor didn't believe in running the gauntlet before district. Just look at schedules from the early 2000s up until when he left. Plus, our district games in those early years were mostly against doormats as well.

I disagree..., not "some", but most years. And a lot of the scheduling wasn't anything Jeff had control over. Yes, we were put in some cream puff districts for a lot of those seasons, but we beat teams that were supposed to challenge us in pre-district regularly, even if there were fewer of them, hence, the number of undefeated regular seasons we had.

waterboy
09-18-2019, 09:26 AM
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/35596.html I'd say the Grantland Rice quotation at the preceding link describes Gilmer now.

With Traylor, it was this one from Lombardi: https://vimeo.com/14810577

I can agree with that. As a true football fan, I believe it should be a combination of those two quotes. The only problem with the first quote is we don't play as well as we can, and that would be the only reason that the second quote would be better in the game of football.

waterboy
09-18-2019, 09:35 AM
We do have some move-ins contributing. That’s the truth. But it is what it is. You build it they will come. It’s not recruiting, it’s parents wanting their kids to play for a program like Carthage. Same thing that happens in DFW and Houston area. Same thing that happened in Gilmer when they were at their peek. Just the way it is.

Yep, hence the "recruiting" accusations... It seemed our move-ins were higher profile than Carthage's. I don't blame parents with talented kids for moving their kids somewhere that they will get looks by college recruiters, if they can afford to. With the cost of college nowadays, it makes perfect sense. I know, I have two daughters that got scholarship money because of their grades. One of which even had a chance at athletic scholarship money, but couldn't pursue it because her college career of choice wouldn't allow both pursuits at the same time. Intercity ISDs are always recruiting athletes from other schools in the district, and it's apparently legal to do so.

Aesculus gilmus
09-18-2019, 10:59 AM
I disagree..., not "some", but most years. And a lot of the scheduling wasn't anything Jeff had control over. Yes, we were put in some cream puff districts for a lot of those seasons, but we beat teams that were supposed to challenge us in pre-district regularly, even if there were fewer of them, hence, the number of undefeated regular seasons we had.

I think Traylor would never have gone along with the 2019 schedule. So, yes, his team would still be undefeated if he were still the coach. He was undefeated about half the years he was here in regular season, but that would not have been the case if he had played the 2018-19 schedule all those years.

waterboy
09-18-2019, 02:12 PM
I think Traylor would never have gone along with the 2019 schedule. So, yes, his team would still be undefeated if he were still the coach. He was undefeated about half the years he was here in regular season, but that would not have been the case if he had played the 2018-19 schedule all those years.

I can agree that the schedule would've been different, but I can guarantee we would be a MUCH better team than we are now with Jeff still at the helm. I would bet that Kurt wouldn't have left, either. His biggest advantage was he surrounded himself with good coaches and had the full backing of the school board and superintendent. Now, it seems football is not important anymore, and I find that truly sad for us diehard Buckeye fans. I pay several hundred dollars to the school every year and I don't have kids going there, but I do expect to see the best football team possible. That's not too much to ask, in my opinion.

Aesculus gilmus
09-18-2019, 04:33 PM
I agree with all that. Gilmer is just not as much of a football town as Carthage is. That renovated home side always looks too empty to me from my vantage point above the Stars.

waterboy
09-18-2019, 04:55 PM
I agree with all that. Gilmer is just not as much of a football town as Carthage is. That renovated home side always looks too empty to me from my vantage point above the Stars.

A lot of that has to do with the product on the field not creating the same excitement there used to be. The home side is massive, though, and it would likely not fill up unless it was a "big" game between two very good teams. I akin it to the "build it and they will come" mantra. By "build" I mean the program.

lostaussie
09-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Yep, hence the "recruiting" accusations... It seemed our move-ins were higher profile than Carthage's. I don't blame parents with talented kids for moving their kids somewhere that they will get looks by college recruiters, if they can afford to. With the cost of college nowadays, it makes perfect sense. I know, I have two daughters that got scholarship money because of their grades. One of which even had a chance at athletic scholarship money, but couldn't pursue it because her college career of choice wouldn't allow both pursuits at the same time. Intercity ISDs are always recruiting athletes from other schools in the district, and it's apparently legal to do so.

Evidently all the good ones are now heading to Mt. Vernon:D:D:D

bobcat1
09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
You know exactly what us Gilmer fans are going through. Celina went through this after a whole bunch of years of annual success only to see it fall apart for awhile. I hate to see our kids not put in their best position to win. I can honestly say that it definitely isn't for lack of talent this year.

Playing against a team like Paris, throw a pick-6 on the first play from scrimmage, and later throw an interception in the endzone when we are about to score. Our QB had an off night, and the majority of it had nothing to do with what Paris was doing. Overthrows, bad timing, and dropped passes are all things that you can fix with practice and repetitions. Mason Hurt has all the physical tools to be very successful. Some of the play calling was suspect at best, too. I won't even go into the defensive problems we have. You already know how I feel about that.

I will say I was impressed with Paris. They do what they do, and they do it very well..., a sign of a well-coached team. They were mentally tough. It's hard to pin point what I was most impressed with, but one thing did stand out to me for sure..., the play of their secondary. They do something our secondary doesn't do, or rarely do, and that is TURN around when the ball is in the air and play the ball. WATCH the receiver's eyes!

Yes sir. We know the pain.

bobcat1
09-18-2019, 06:45 PM
We don't need your pity!!!

Yes you damn sure do. :taunt:

waterboy
09-19-2019, 07:52 AM
Evidently all the good ones are now heading to Mt. Vernon:D:D:D

According to this idiot reporter, I guess so...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/art-briles-is-already-being-accused-of-cheating-at-texas-high-school-because-of-course-he-is/ar-AAHua3j?ocid=spartanntp

There's no call for this kind of idiotic reporting. Just like a liberal, facts don't matter, and due process is not needed. I guess we need to pass out mirrors to their ilk, along with a copy of the Constitution. Well...., maybe not the Constitution because they can't read it, or can't interpret the words right at least.

Aesculus gilmus
09-19-2019, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't call that reporting. It was partially fact-based opinionating "clickbait."

I do think it is a fact that a number of athletes, with more certainly on the way as long as Briles is there (which may not be that long), have moved into the MVISD, just as they already did into the Pleasant Grove ISD and Carthage ISD in recent years.

We have a wealthy Gilmer alum who is also an alum of Texas Tech, which is also where Art Briles went to school. Maybe he can "supplement" the salary required to get Briles to Gilmer with all the "move ins" who will certainly follow him wherever he goes.

Dawgs
09-19-2019, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't call that reporting. It was partially fact-based opinionating "clickbait."

I do think it is a fact that a number of athletes, with more certainly on the way as long as Briles is there (which may not be that long), have moved into the MVISD, just as they already did into the Pleasant Grove ISD and Carthage ISD in recent years.

We have a wealthy Gilmer alum who is also an alum of Texas Tech, which is also where Art Briles went to school. Maybe he can "supplement" the salary required to get Briles to Gilmer with all the "move ins" who will certainly follow him wherever he goes.

Briles to Gilmer? Holy shhh. That would be something. Imagine Gilmer offense with Briles as coach. Right back to the good ol’ days. I know it’s a joke, kinda, but would people on Gilmer support the hire?

Aesculus gilmus
09-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Briles to Gilmer? Holy shhh. That would be something. Imagine Gilmer offense with Briles as coach. Right back to the good ol’ days. I know it’s a joke, kinda, but would people on Gilmer support the hire?

I'll bet the few Gilmer posters on here would. I AM joking, though. But the Tech alum does exist. He should at least buy us a videoboard. :D

lostaussie
09-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Win at all costs baby!!! :D:D

waterboy
09-19-2019, 03:46 PM
Win at all costs baby!!! :D:D

That's what I'm talking about!:2thumbsup

waterboy
09-19-2019, 04:00 PM
I'll bet the few Gilmer posters on here would. I AM joking, though. But the Tech alum does exist. He should at least buy us a videoboard. :D

Once the high school is built, and the parking issues are resolved for our stadium, the only things left to do to bring in more playoff games would be to fix the visitor's side with better restroom facilities and a video board. If you know this "alum" maybe you should ask him.:thumbsup:

waterboy
09-19-2019, 04:04 PM

I heard from a trusted source that Jeff wants to come back home, too, but... $$$ is too good right now.

lostaussie
09-19-2019, 04:46 PM
I heard from a trusted source that Jeff wants to come back home, too, but... $$$ is too good right now.

That's the way to fire up the old rumor wagon!!!

buckeyebob
09-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Well, we are back. I have fired all the doctors, got the Bux stirred up. I had to forgo the trip...my Best Girl said no...the Buckeyes traveled to Carthage and gave the Dawgs all they could handle...I was proud of what they did...1st quarter was testing the water...the found a loaded Dawg team & came very close to embarrassing them...I bet Surratt is foaming at all orifices. I hear he spent the night in the Cardio Unit. Good job Dawgs. Came real close to a "L".

Now ...Newton comes to Gilmer Friday...It will be a long trip home for them...time to get serious.

cowboyandchrist
09-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Buckeyebob you do know Gilmer rushed for 30 yards and total of 184.
I was there. The Dawgs started the game thinking is was going to be like last year. No enthusiasm what so ever. Hell they dropped two touchdown passes with nobody with in 5 yards. Kel Williams is one of the best receivers in the state and couldn’t catch a cold. The Dawg QB had so many over throws and serval under that we were wondering what the heck.
The Dawg D saved our bacon last night.
The Gilmer D line whip one of the very best O lines in 4A until the 4th Quarter.
The Dawg were the Dawgs in the fourth and reminded us fans how good they are.
Gilmer played hard the entire game.
They are twice as good as they were last year. I have a feeling they will play PG twice this year.
You are right about Surratt I bet he lit the Dawgs up when that game was over.
I truly believe they were looking past Gilmer and thinking about PG.
I tell you something else, I believe Gilmer will beat Newton.

lostaussie
09-23-2019, 08:25 AM
We gonna give Newton and that 30 whatever winning streak a run for they damn money. Believe dat!!!!!

oldtownag
09-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Well, we are back. I have fired all the doctors, got the Bux stirred up. I had to forgo the trip...my Best Girl said no...the Buckeyes traveled to Carthage and gave the Dawgs all they could handle...I was proud of what they did...1st quarter was testing the water...the found a loaded Dawg team & came very close to embarrassing them...I bet Surratt is foaming at all orifices. I hear he spent the night in the Cardio Unit. Good job Dawgs. Came real close to a "L".

Now ...Newton comes to Gilmer Friday...It will be a long trip home for them...time to get serious.

I never thought I would see the day that Gilmer got all excited and fired up about a 9 point loss!

Aesculus gilmus
09-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Our players aren't all that fired up about it. I agree with our #5, Casey Irons Jr.
https://twitter.com/_cironsjr/status/1175257588612681728

lostaussie
09-24-2019, 09:21 AM
I never thought I would see the day that Gilmer got all excited and fired up about a 9 point loss!

I'm in no way fired up about a loss, or 2 in a row for that matter. But I am definitely excited about the way the team is playing even if we have lost the last two. At this time last year I didn't think we could beat Spring Hill, and we barely did. I think this year we finish second in district and play PG again in round 4. Buckeyes definitely improving from last year. I believe we have a snowballs chance this weekend also.