PDA

View Full Version : Week #3: Paris (1-1) @ Gilmer (2-0)

waterboy
09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
This is a matchup of 5th ranked teams in their respective divisions. Paris won last year's contest 27-21. Gilmer was very young and inexperienced, and I think were surprised at how good Paris was. I don't think they will be surprised at all this season and will prepare accordingly. I think both teams have improved a lot over last season. This is a toss up to me, and depends on how well we prepare and execute. Gilmer will definitely have to be on top of their game to win in my opinion.

Week 1: Pleasant Grove 22, Paris 16; Gilmer 47, Atlanta 26

Week 2: Paris 42, Terrell 7; Gilmer 41, Van 21

Who wins, and why?

d0tc0m
09-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Gilmer's defense looks to be much improved over the past few years. And I was impressed with the win over Van last week. But man, Paris is loaded for bear this year. They're a completely restructured team than they were when they took on Gilmer last season. It wasn't long after that matchup, they switched from the spread attack to the PG-style wing-T. The Wildcats have speed for days, a stable of backs that can grind you to death OR hit the home run any time they touch the ball. They have big, tall receivers, big, tall defensive backs, and they play extremely physical on both sides of the ball. Last year, they had fully grown men in the trenches. They really looked like a JuCo team rolling out on the field. They're not quite that big up front on either side this year, but just as quick and physical. They'll be the toughest team Gilmer has played so far in this young season for sure.

I like what the Buckeyes have done so far. A nice body of work for two games. And if that defense continues to improve, watch out for Gilmer! But this week, I think Paris just has a little bit too much. I like the Wildcats by at least two scores. I think they'll wear the Buckeyes down in the second half and pull away.

So long as both teams stay healthy, though, this is a fantastic iron-sharpening-iron type matchup. Only good things can come from a pre-district game like this, in my opinion.

lostaussie
09-10-2019, 02:52 PM
We could potentially be 2-3 after first 5 games and still be very dangerous come playoff time. I'm not necessarily looking to win these games as much as how we play. Sure would like to win at least one or two of them.

waterboy
09-10-2019, 04:28 PM
We could potentially be 2-3 after first 5 games and still be very dangerous come playoff time. I'm not necessarily looking to win these games as much as how we play. Sure would like to win at least one or two of them.

I can see that potential, too, but I think we will win at least one of the next three. I'm not fully "convinced" we are completely back, although we are playing much better than last season at this point. In fact, it's not even close. The only thing is a lot of teams improve from one year to the next, so that is kind of a wash. Paris played PG really close, and that tells me that they are definitely for real again. I think our young Buckeyes were a little surprised by how good Paris was last year, and that loss set them back a few games quite honestly. I think the Buckeyes can beat Paris if they are well prepared and play Buckeye football. With a win against Paris I think this team will turn the corner in the right direction. The only team you focus on is the team you're playing this week. It should be like a playoff atmosphere in this one. The Buckeyes just have to match intensity with the Wildcats, tit for tat, and take it to them.

I have no idea what's going to happen in this game, but I am still picking the Buckeyes. Paris, from what I understand, has changed their offense to a form of the wing t (kinda like PG) since we played them last year. I certainly hope our coaches have done their homework and have our players well prepared. This is a good test for us, and should help prepare us for PG in district play.

Phantom Stang
09-10-2019, 05:12 PM
I really don't know much of anything about either team, but from looking at the scores it appears Paris might have a better Defense, so I'm picking the Wildcats to win. That being said, I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes.

waterboy
09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
I really don't know much of anything about either team, but from looking at the scores it appears Paris might have a better Defense, so I'm picking the Wildcats to win. That being said, I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes.

I looked at last year's game again on Youtube and remembered some horrible officiating in that one. I'm not making excuses, Paris was the better team. We were young and made way too many mistakes to win. I do agree that Paris likely has the better defense. We will certainly have to rise to the occasion in order to have a chance to win.

Aesculus gilmus
09-12-2019, 06:16 AM
Kudos to the Paris coaching staff for making the Wildcats a contender again. The Gilmer-Paris games during the beginning of the Traylor era were not competitive. Back then they were Mildcats. ;)

lostaussie
09-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Kudos to the Paris coaching staff for making the Wildcats a contender again. The Gilmer-Paris games during the beginning of the Traylor era were not competitive. Back then they were Mildcats. ;)

That's true. I remember a Saturday afternoon game played in Mt Pleasant that we beat them boys like they stole something. I don't remember the score exactly but it may have been the worst loss Paris ever has suffered.

waterboy
09-12-2019, 02:26 PM
That's true. I remember a Saturday afternoon game played in Mt Pleasant that we beat them boys like they stole something. I don't remember the score exactly but it may have been the worst loss Paris ever has suffered.

I remember that game. That was the year we won our first state championship in 2004. We beat them 62-16. It could've been much worse.

catgut
09-14-2019, 09:34 PM
And the final was............

Paris 37
Gilmer 20

Despite all the flags Paris wore down the Gilmer defense pretty early