PDA

View Full Version : Cuero-Yoakum football game story

Scoop27
09-05-2019, 08:48 AM
NO. 110
Bulldogs, Gobblers appreciate long-standing rivalry

From the Victoria Advocate

Yoakum coach Bo Robinson was an all-Southwest Conference defensive end for the University of Texas, but he hasn’t played football since injuries ended his career after one season with the Houston Oilers.

If Robinson was given the opportunity to put on pads again, the Yoakum-Cuero game would be high on his list.

“These type of games are always fun to me,” he said. “It’s kind of like a playoff atmosphere early in the season. These are the kind of games I wish I could still play in. These are the ones I would want to play in if I could do it. It’s exciting.”

DeWitt County rivals Yoakum and Cuero will square off for the 110th time since 1911 on Friday night at Gobbler Stadium in Cuero.

“It’s a unique game,” said Cuero coach Travis Reeve. “I’ve told our kids before there are not a lot of kids in the state of Texas who get a chance to play in a big rivalry game.

“Everybody has got little rivalries, but not anything like this. To have the opportunity to be able to play in front of a packed house in Week 2 of the season, you’ve got to embrace that and you’ve got to love that. We’re very fortunate to be able to be a part of this game.”

The players are familiar with each other and many have had relatives who have been a part of the rivalry.

“My dad always told me that whenever he played against Yoakum, they were always good and we always fought hard against them,” said Cuero receiver Deveryck Mathis of his father Rodney. “They were just really physical games.”

“It’s going to be a fun game,” said Yoakum center Kolson Jacobs, whose father Jake played for the Bulldogs. “I enjoy playing Cuero it’s a big rivalry. It gets everybody pumped up for it. My dad told me it was pretty nerve racking. There isn’t anything like it.”

Cuero has gotten the better of the rivalry. The Gobblers hold a 70-33-6 advantage, despite Yoakum’s 30-20 win last season at Bulldog Stadium.

But the outcome of the game isn’t a harbinger of the rest of the season.

“I want to win them all,” Robinson said. “But we’ve lost this game two years and played for a state championship and went to the semifinals. Cuero loses last year and they play for a state championship. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t win this one.”

But the Bulldogs and Gobblers welcome the atmosphere and the competition, especially since they field relatively inexperienced rosters.

Yoakum dropped its season opener to Boerne, while Cuero defeated Bay City.

“Both teams are going to be representing their communities and it’s important to both communities,” Reeve said. “It’s a great non-district game that’s going to benefit both of us for the district race and later on in the year.”

The Bulldogs and Gobblers have their sites set on a strong finish, but there’s no question this game is an important landmark along the way.

“The key is to win the game, of course,” Jacobs said. “You just have to go in there confident and ready to play.”

“It’s really fun seeing both of our teams running around and flying around and playing hard,” Mathis said. “I just really want to see our team go hard, go fast, do stuff right and win.”

44INAROW
09-05-2019, 01:50 PM
No mention of my neighbor and former Cuero Gobbler and Baylor Bears standout, Adam Arroyo, whom lives in Cuero but coaches in Yoakum. Not to mention, Adam is also a next door neighbor to a Cuero Gobbler coach and oh yea, the Gobbler QB lol............. This is the only game many Gobbler fans root against the Bulldogs and vice versa. Gobbler Stadium will be ROCKING Friday night... GO MEAN GREEN.....

YTBulldogs
09-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Go BIG BLUE!!!!

Old Green
09-05-2019, 10:54 PM
Cuero Fr. Green team 46

Yoakum 0
Green team have not given up a point this season

I don’t have the JV score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44INAROW
09-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Credit to Russell Mobley.... his weekly post...
You may remember the story of the Team Mom, DeeDee suddenly passing away in late Sept last year at the age of 43 - She was Russell's lady and mom of Trey Moore.. The team rallied around Trey and Russell after DeeDee's tragic death... (just a little back story) :)

Rivalries are traditional in football at every level. Tonight, in their Home Opener at Gobbler Stadium, the Cuero Gobblers (1-0) take on their DeWitt County Rivals, the Yoakum Bulldogs (0-1) for the 110th time, making it one of the longest and oldest Rivalries in the state of Tx. Gone is the plethora of big time D1 recruits from both schools that have starred in this matchup over the past several seasons. In are the young guns from both squads ready and eager to write their own chapter in the long-storied rivalry. The Bulldogs may have dropped in Classification several years ago and are no longer a district opponent_ rendering the game kinda insignificant in the big picture_but the hype and energy around this game hasn't dropped a bit. We've had A&M land the Swag Copter at our field, unexpected victors and huge crowds, not to mention all out effort on both sides. These games have a playoff like atmosphere no matter what. Both teams have advanced deep into the playoffs in their respective classifications. Cuero leads the all time series with 70 wins 33 losses and 6 ties but the games i remember the most are usually the L's, especially the last 2. The Bulldogs impact players are Ty Love, B Jacobs, Larry Hysaw, Triniti Moore and M. Cantu. The Cuero Gobblers rushing attack was quite effective and balanced last week, lead by J.D. Notaro, Cavan Smith and Jackson Hardwick. I expect both teams to come out with a lot of energy and the team that manages that energy best and doesn't let the hype make the game too big for them to win the game. The Gobblers did a horrible job of this last year. I don't expect that from this year's group, although with inexperience, you never know. Do not make the game bigger than what it is. We've dominated this rivalry since 1911. Don't let the Bulldogs think for a second that they belong on the field with you. Don't beat yourself. At the end of the night, im planning on witnessing the 71st victory for the Gobblers. Its a great day to be a Gobbler. Its a beautiful evening to beat the brakes off a Bulldog...PETA cant save em from whats coming. Make your own luck Gobblers! #GoMeanGreen

Old Green
09-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Credit to Russell Mobley.... his weekly post...
You may remember the story of the Team Mom, DeeDee suddenly passing away in late Sept last year at the age of 43 - She was Russell's lady and mom of Trey Moore.. The team rallied around Trey and Russell after DeeDee's tragic death... (just a little back story) :)

Rivalries are traditional in football at every level. Tonight, in their Home Opener at Gobbler Stadium, the Cuero Gobblers (1-0) take on their DeWitt County Rivals, the Yoakum Bulldogs (0-1) for the 110th time, making it one of the longest and oldest Rivalries in the state of Tx. Gone is the plethora of big time D1 recruits from both schools that have starred in this matchup over the past several seasons. In are the young guns from both squads ready and eager to write their own chapter in the long-storied rivalry. The Bulldogs may have dropped in Classification several years ago and are no longer a district opponent_ rendering the game kinda insignificant in the big picture_but the hype and energy around this game hasn't dropped a bit. We've had A&M land the Swag Copter at our field, unexpected victors and huge crowds, not to mention all out effort on both sides. These games have a playoff like atmosphere no matter what. Both teams have advanced deep into the playoffs in their respective classifications. Cuero leads the all time series with 70 wins 33 losses and 6 ties but the games i remember the most are usually the L's, especially the last 2. The Bulldogs impact players are Ty Love, B Jacobs, Larry Hysaw, Triniti Moore and M. Cantu. The Cuero Gobblers rushing attack was quite effective and balanced last week, lead by J.D. Notaro, Cavan Smith and Jackson Hardwick. I expect both teams to come out with a lot of energy and the team that manages that energy best and doesn't let the hype make the game too big for them to win the game. The Gobblers did a horrible job of this last year. I don't expect that from this year's group, although with inexperience, you never know. Do not make the game bigger than what it is. We've dominated this rivalry since 1911. Don't let the Bulldogs think for a second that they belong on the field with you. Don't beat yourself. At the end of the night, im planning on witnessing the 71st victory for the Gobblers. Its a great day to be a Gobbler. Its a beautiful evening to beat the brakes off a Bulldog...PETA cant save em from whats coming. Make your own luck Gobblers! #GoMeanGreen

Vry good write up by Russell .

bluecat
09-06-2019, 09:39 PM
The pups became Bulldogs tonite, Yoakums a very young team but no doubt there still is plenty of talent. Bo”s been bringing them along and building confidence in this team that will only make them better as the playoffs come around.

YTBulldogs
09-07-2019, 08:46 AM
The pups became Bulldogs tonite, Yoakums a very young team

Pup's getting house broke. Watch out DEEP into the season. What a non-district schedule to see what you got and develop the youngeons. Next: Gonzales.

44INAROW
09-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Pup's getting house broke. Watch out DEEP into the season. What a non-district schedule to see what you got and develop the youngeons. Next: Gonzales.

Congrats to the Bulldogs YT. Re:Gonzo. Did they get a new coach again? I haven’t been following as usual

YTBulldogs
09-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Congrats to the Bulldogs YT. Re:Gonzo. Did they get a new coach again? I haven’t been following as usual

Yes, was OC at Pearland last season. Former Luling HC. Name Mike Waldie.

YTBulldogs
09-08-2019, 07:28 AM
44, why in the world did Cuero PD arrest our "sound man after touchdowns" Friday night? Heck, I think they cuffed two of them. New wrinkle in the friendly rivalry.

bluecat
09-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Guess he was too Honky, saw on Twitter where they arrested a couple guys who blew the air horn. Didn’t know that was a criminal offense?

YTBulldogs
09-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Guess he was too Honky, saw on Twitter where they arrested a couple guys who blew the air horn. Didn’t know that was a criminal offense?

Too many Bulldog TD's. Should of arrested their defensive coordinator. What's a little spirit after you do something good in a game?

YTBulldogs
09-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Gobbler Hard Hat Man (Mr. Spencer-great guy) louder than our air horn. Dude could get a crowd fired up. I think something happened to him in LaGrange or Smithville a few years back for showing spirit. Man, don't limit stuff like this.

44INAROW
09-08-2019, 10:24 AM
44, why in the world did Cuero PD arrest our "sound man after touchdowns" Friday night? Heck, I think they cuffed two of them. New wrinkle in the friendly rivalry.

Sorry I have no idea. Left with grandchildren at halftime so I did not see any of that. I did hear the horn though. LoL. My thought is maybe he was asked by officers to do or stop doing something and he refused and it went from there. But that’s totally speculation. Happened to a die hard Gobbler supporter a couple years ago in La grange or Giddings. . He was asked to stop doing something and he refused and was arrested and hauled off. So it happens. But again. I have no idea what happened. I do know that if a law officer asked you to do or not do something and you refuse to do or not do it. There will be consequences.

Old Green
09-08-2019, 04:01 PM
The horn was excessively loud. The school superintendent and principle went over there twice and asked him to not blow it. He became belligerent with them and the cops were called to arrest him. Another guy and a woman became involved and the other man was arrested.

There is a U.I.L. Rule banning excessive noise makers in the stadiums.

44INAROW
09-08-2019, 04:29 PM
The horn was excessively loud. The school superintendent and principle went over there twice and asked him to not blow it. He became belligerent with them and the cops were called to arrest him. Another guy and a woman became involved and the other man was arrested.

There is a U.I.L. Rule banning excessive noise makers in the stadiums.

Thanks Old Green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk