PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like DCTF?

Gobbla2001
06-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Here's a good offseason topic without the extra side of Ya Ya...

So, why do you like it?

slpybear the bullfan
06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
because it is so well known...

Gobbla2001
06-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Well, I like it because it's good information on what teams have coming back etc... and fun to read opinions on not only your team but all of the teams around the state...

Good stuff!

Bandera YaYa
06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
....Gobbla....here you go again, bringing up the Ya Ya's....why don't ya'll just admit you love us!! wink

vet93
06-06-2003, 09:33 AM
I like DCTF because of the raw information. I don't read too much into the predictions (especially the statewide predictions). I like seeing how many returning starters are coming back and a few particulars about the returners. I also like reading about the Big 12. This thread reminds me that I had better go talk to my banker so that I can secure a loan to pay for the magazine this year wink

District303aPastPlayer
06-06-2003, 10:03 AM
i dont like it. the magazine has a direspect for Region IV, mainly the Corpus area... but other han that... it has great information about all the teams.

3afan
06-06-2003, 10:55 AM
thats nuts ... when good teams from the CC area are projected then they get their props in DCTF ... there are just not that many really strong programs compared to the other areas of the state ... i not trying to start a verbal spat but thats the facts!

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

big daddy russ
06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
30-3A past player, our biggest problem is that we haven't won any championships in a while. If you think back, the last team to win it all from the Coastal Bend was Refugio back in, I believe, 1983. Another big thing is that our 5A conference, District 29, is especially weak and many times an area is judged by their largest district. The other big problem that faces the Coastal Bend is the fact that we basically have one area district in each classification, except 3A and 2A, which have two each. Up in DFW, you have a lot more competition and a lot more to gauge yourself against. Better competition does equal better play all the way around. But, on the other hand, we do play some of the best football in Region IV. Districts 30-3A and 30-4A are widely recognized as some of the toughest districts in the state. Even though the powerhouse of 30-3A (Sinton) appears to be set for a "down" year (and by down I mean possibly winning the district title but not an early favorite for the State Crown), West Oso and Taft should be catching up in terms of talent and Aransas Pass will have their usual plethora of big, fast boys. From what I saw, AP had plenty of talent to win a DII crown last year, they just couldn't pull it out. Heck, there are a lot of other people on here, from District 30, from Port Isabel and from many other places, who saw AP play and thought the same. Mathis will be Mathis, with or without Coach Soza, and Ingleside will also make huge steps forward from last year. Heck, I believe that every team in our district could make the playoffs if they were in District 29. But, until we win the big one, we'll be happy just sneaking up on people. wink

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

3afan2K3
06-06-2003, 01:01 PM
hey 3afan

when are you gonna bring home a copy

Matthew328
06-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Hmm wonder how long it will take for Old Card to answer this question??? LOL

Old Cardinal
06-06-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Matt 328: Yes, upon investigation, I found that they hire kids to assemble this data and they just write down whatever is told to then at each school, even if its the janitor answering the phone! Therefore, their is some good info and some bogus info...And yes it is predisposed to favor longtime 3A programs over those that have entered 3A ranks in the last five years....It also down plays Regions I(except those close to DFW), III, and IV.

<small>[ June 08, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Keith7
06-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Old Cardinal:
Hi Matt 328: Yes, upon investigation, I found that they hire kids to assemble this data and they just write down whatever is told to then at each school, even if its the janitor answering the phone! Therefore, their is some good info and some bogus info...And yes it is predisposed to favor longtime 3A programs over those that have entered 3A ranks in the last five years....I also down plays Regions I, III, and IV.Every year the coaches give out questionaires from the magazine to their Key players, and they fill them out.. and the coach is sopposed to go back over.. Of course they arent gonna be totally accurate.. kinda like how every team's football program makes their football players 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier..

Old Cardinal
06-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Yes Kieth, I agree, but that is only a part of the overall story....

sinton66
06-08-2003, 04:47 PM
I think DCTF is pretty good for the "raw" info as some mentioned, but as far as their predictions, those and $1.25 might get you a cup of coffee some places. Predictions that early are ridiculous. With the exception of "what's coming back" info, they really don't know any more than most of the folks on here. Just my opinion. I haven't bought one in twenty years. wink

SintonFan
06-08-2003, 11:32 PM
I like the mag mainly because it's the only place for fans to get raw stats on your competition.
It's the only mag who covers all football in the great state of Texas. :cool:
Opinions aside, how can you argue with that?
We don't have another source to 'take a crap while reading' anywhere. I'll buy the new mag. No one has info(however small) on all the team's of Texas. Overall, DCTF has been good for HSFootball.