fury900
11-29-2003, 09:37 PM
good game

GlenRosePoster
11-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks a lot. Any Stats anyone?????

bleedgreen
11-30-2003, 12:09 AM
I wrote a long post and it would not go. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm frustrated now.

Knightmoon
11-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Congratulations Kennedale!! Your team has great speed. Next week's game against Vernon should be a tough one. Kennedale's Offense/Vernon's Defense. I would like to see that one. Anyone know where and when yet?

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 09:42 AM
It was really the Kennedale defense that was the key last night. My guess is that when "Bleedgreen" puts up the stats that, most everyone will be surprised at how little the Merkel offense was able to do. We sputtered a bit on offense and really did not hit on all cylinders. Hats off to the coaching staff and the defense that came to play big.

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 09:43 AM
It was really the Kennedale defense that was the key last night. My guess is that when "Bleedgreen" puts up the stats that, most everyone will be surprised at how little the Merkel offense was able to do. We sputtered a bit on offense and really did not hit on all cylinders. Hats off to the coaching staff and the defense that came to play big.

Knightmoon
11-30-2003, 10:07 AM
don't know why this board is not working, alot of double posts, posts that will not send, etc...

<small>[ November 30, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Knightmoon ]</small>

Knightmoon
11-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Try this link to the Abilene Reporter News...

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/sp_fb_hs_games/article/0,1874,ABIL_11562_2465061,00.html

v-town
11-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Congratulations to Kennedale. I wish you luck next week and hope you make a good run for the state title. Keep that offense rolling and it sounds like the deffense has improved, not that it wasn't good already. Once again congratulations and good luck.

Knightmoon
11-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Try this link to the Abilene Reporter News...

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/sp_fb_hs_games/article/0,1874,ABIL_11562_2465061,00.html

v-town
11-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Congratulations to Kennedale. I wish you luck next week and hope you make a good run for the state title. Keep that offense rolling and it sounds like the deffense has improved, not that it wasn't good already. Once again congratulations and good luck.

v-town
11-30-2003, 10:18 AM

wildcat #40
11-30-2003, 01:00 PM
we will be playing at Birdville ISD on saturday at 6:00 pm. That is the last i heard and they said it was for sure.

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 02:02 PM

bleedgreen
11-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Might as well keep this thread going. Here's the Star Telegram article: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/7380798.htm If this reply is posted, I'll add a few more thoughts.

bleedgreen
11-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Might as well keep this thread going. Here's the Star Telegram article: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/7380798.htm If this reply is posted, I'll add a few more thoughts. There is still trouble posting today as it was on Sat nite.

bleedgreen
11-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Might as well keep this thread going. Here's the Star Telegram article: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/7380798.htm If this reply is posted, I'll add a few more thoughts. There is still trouble posting today as it was on Sat nite.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
wildcat #40:
we will be playing at Birdville ISD on saturday at 6:00 pm. That is the last i heard and they said it was for sure.Are you sure on the time and place? If so Vernon must have lost a home for home flip because that is 3 hours from Vernon!

Does anyone know what surface the field is? How many people will the stadium hold?

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Vernon lost the flip. Funny thing though, they wanted to play at 2PM on Saturday which is what facilitated the flip. It will be 6PM Saturday at Birdville ISD stadium, which will hold at least as much as Memorial field in Wichita.

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 09:53 PM
BTW the surface of the field is traditional astro turf, NOT turf grass.

Catfan
11-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Game is at birdville....stadium holds plenty, 20 thousand plus......turf type is same as Witchita falls, Alvaredo, Boswell.......Kennedale won toss, but chose to be visiting team.

Stu Pidass
11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
CatFan you are incorrect on the surface it is not turf grass unless they just had it resurfaced. It's the traditional flat carpet-like astro turf.

CatsDen
12-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Defensive player of the week
Kennedale linebacker knew exactly what offense would do

02:06 AM CST on Monday, December 1, 2003

By SCOTT McDONALD / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

Kennedale senior Alex Bruffy had a twinkle in his eye when he celebrated his team's victory Saturday night. But before the merriment began, the gleam must have been vicious and studious.

Bruffy read the Merkel offense perfectly all night to help lead Kennedale in a 26-10 win in the Class 3A Division II Region I semifinal at Memorial Stadium in Wichita Falls.

Kennedale, which held Merkel to 119 total yards, got its biggest contribution from its not-so-big linebacker. Not an imposing figure at 5-9, 170, Bruffy threw his body around on defense and special teams to ring up 20 tackles.

Alex Bruffy
"He's always been told that because of his size he can't do things," Kennedale coach Richard Barrett said. "I think that's what motivates him the most."

Bruffy motored his way all over the field in the first half, making five of his team's last seven tackles, including a sack for an 18-yard loss that caused a fumble with 10 seconds remaining. Bruffy had four tackles for losses.

"Everybody on our defense did what they were supposed to do, which put me as the free man on the ball most of the time," Bruffy said. "Our whole defense hit hard out there, and I wouldn't have made as many tackles without them."

Barrett calls his senior linebacker deceptively quick, and smart. For making the right defensive calls and getting into position to make so many tackles to lead his team, Bruffy is SportsDay's Defensive Player of the Week.

And if honor isn't enough, Kennedale advances to the regional final for only the second time in school history, as it meets Vernon at 6 p.m. Saturday at Birdville Fine Arts/Athletics Complex.

The Kennedale defense operates much like its offense, a unit that has so many weapons that it doesn't rely on one or two players. The offense has top rushers Weldon Brooks and Rex Harper to complement the passing of Bryan Barrett. The defense has Daniel Mendoza, Lance Canter, Chris Morris, Jimmy Letzkus and J.D. Hill – a group of players who all have a nose for the ball.

"That's the beauty of what we do," Richard Barrett said. "Alex probably gets the majority of our tackles because he's the linebacker. But I think it's because of the design of our defense."

CatsDen
12-01-2003, 07:42 AM
The Kennedale defense held Merkel to a total of 121 yards and 7 first downs. Kennedale won the game behind the play of the defense and on the wheels of Weldon Brooks and Rex Harper.

My player of the game was FB Weldon Brooks. He ran with more power and determination than ever before. He carried Merkel defenders downfield with him on every run! He finished the night with 139 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The milestones of the game were the final score of 26-10, and the rare fumble by Rex Harper. That was the first game this season that the Wildcats have not broken the 30 point mark. The two failed 2-pt. conversions and the missed FG extra point would have pushed Kennedale over 30. That was the first time I've seen Rex fumble all season (I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing that happen at all)! He was working downfield with defenders all over him and someone was luckly enough to poke the ball out. The fumble did not affect the outcome of the game, though.

The sign held up by the cheerleaders at the beginning of the game was my favorite of the year: "It will take a Merkel to win".

There were crazy rumors flying around the stands that the Vernon game would be played in Lubbock?! I don't know how that got started, but I'm glad to see that the game will be right here in the Metroplex.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Let me tell you about my Vernon Lions!

Vernon is a very deceptive team. Not all that big and not all that fast. But just a darn good football team. They haven't just thumped teams this year, score wise that is. What Vernon has is several fold:

1) This team has a very good defense that will straight lay the wood. These kids aren't that big but they fly to the ball on defense and hit someone. They seem to submit to the "bend but don't break" philosophy.

2) There are no star players on this team. They all do their job. They all hold their own although it is nice to have a star on the team, the players just take care of their jobs.

3) Good coaching! The coaches come in with good game plans and make great adjustments at half time. The coaches motivate the players to execute their game plan. Can't say enough about coaching look at what Parcells has done.

4) They have flown under the radar this year. These kids have been underdogs all year and I think it motivates them. Finally they should be in the top ten of 3A with only 8 teams left in DII.

They have a nice rushing attack and like to spread the ball around between their HB, FB, WB and QB all getting about the same number of carries. They have had a bit of trouble the last several weeks scoring points, but I have to say that Decatur and Sweetwater both had great defenses.

I have said this before and Kennedale posters will remember the Ballinger team of last year. That team reminds me of Vernon this year.