PDA

View Full Version : Not football... but about school

marlin fan
12-10-2003, 09:57 PM
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
CAUSE THE STATE SAYS THEY HAVE TO

Hupernikomen
12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
marlin fan:
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????Hopefully your teachers are teaching the TEKS which the state mandates for you to be learning..now if that is the case...they teach it because that is what they are suppose to be teaching you to keep their job.

marlin fan
12-10-2003, 10:06 PM
yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! :mad:

marktaras
12-10-2003, 10:09 PM
marlin fan:
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????To give you a general knowledge of your world, to broaden your vocabulary, to teach you social skills, to teach you to appreciate your world and maybe one day when you need to think for yourself you'll make a right decision and not get dusted!

lobo12
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
just because you dont need it now doesnt mean you wont need it later. u might use anything later on in life, you never know.

turbostud
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! Maybe they should make you take the spelling teks. deploma? :p

marlin fan
12-10-2003, 11:25 PM
turbostud:
[QUOTE] yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! Maybe they should make you take the spelling teks. deploma? :p </strong>[/QUOTE
Oh lol sorry i was typing fast and didnt go back and check to see if i spelled everything correctly!!! Thanks for pointing that out to me :D

turbostud
12-10-2003, 11:30 PM
No problem. :D

geturgunzup
12-10-2003, 11:54 PM
So that maybe you won't have to go through life feeling like the rest of the world is more educated than you.
So that you might just be a leader in this world instead of someone forced to follow those who were smart enough to value an education.
If you haven't learned to appreciate an education, then you still haven't learned enough.
And last, but not least, your teachers want to see you go on to make more money than they do!

geturgunzup
12-10-2003, 11:56 PM
So that maybe you won't have to go through life feeling like the rest of the world is more educated than you.
So that you might just be a leader in this world instead of someone forced to follow those who were smart enough to value an education.
If you haven't learned to appreciate an education, then you still haven't learned enough.
And last, but not least, your teachers want to see you go on to make more money than they do!

Ranger Mom
12-11-2003, 12:01 AM
marlin fan:
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????I started the job I am at when I was 28 - it was the first time I had ever had to convert a fraction to a decimal. I NEVER thought I would have to use that when I learned it in school! Sadly, I have come to realize (in helping my own kids with their homework) that I didn't retain ANYTHING about history!

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

DawgMaw02
12-11-2003, 06:45 AM
The future leaders of our country are sitting in classrooms right now. Most don't even have the basic knowledge of reading or spelling. I totally understand some of the things you think they are trying to teach you are useless, but as stated earlier in this thread, you never know what you may need in the future. The difference between you getting a job and someone else getting it may boil down to what you learned that they didn't. :)

Wildcat81
12-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Hupernikomen:

marlin fan:
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????Hopefully your teachers are teaching the TEKS which the state mandates for you to be learning..now if that is the case...they teach it because that is what they are suppose to be teaching you to keep their job.I agree.The state has guide lines for the class room teacher to follow.

spiveyrat
12-11-2003, 07:23 AM
If you plan on going to college, you better soak up as much as you can... you're going to need it! Don't sit around and be happy with the status quo. Challenge yourself by taking the harder maths and sciences in high school. It'll make your transition to college much easier.

Phil C
12-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey Marlin Fan what is it they are teaching you that you will never use?

WoodvilleFan
12-11-2003, 10:22 AM
marlin fan:
yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! :mad: If you can't spell diploma correctly, you shouldn't qualify for one!!

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Phil C:
Hey Marlin Fan what is it they are teaching you that you will never use?there's plenty of useless stuff...like having to learn which way you slice a cone in order to form a hyperbola.

Hupernikomen
12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
crzyjournalist03:

Phil C:
Hey Marlin Fan what is it they are teaching you that you will never use?there's plenty of useless stuff...like having to learn which way you slice a cone in order to form a hyperbola.I would say that anything that causes a student to use higher-order thinking skills is far from useless. If we don't develop our kids brains then we are doing them a great disservice. They might not ever use those math skills (a few might) but they will certainly benefit from learning to think critically, reason and explore for understanding.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Hupernikomen:

crzyjournalist03:

Phil C:
Hey Marlin Fan what is it they are teaching you that you will never use?there's plenty of useless stuff...like having to learn which way you slice a cone in order to form a hyperbola.they will certainly benefit from learning to think critically, reason and explore for understanding.</strong>
Isn't that what church is for??? wink

Hupernikomen
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
marlin fan:
yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! :mad: Tall task in front of you, but the TEKS have been around for quite a few years now. If you have been taking care of business in school you won't have any problems. I am sure the school will do whatever it takes to graduate all of its seniors under the TAKS exam just like they did under the TAAS exam. Just buckle down and learn.

Hupernikomen
12-11-2003, 10:51 AM
crzyjournalist03:

Hupernikomen:

crzyjournalist03:

Phil C:
Hey Marlin Fan what is it they are teaching you that you will never use?there's plenty of useless stuff...like having to learn which way you slice a cone in order to form a hyperbola.they will certainly benefit from learning to think critically, reason and explore for understanding.</strong>
Isn't that what church is for??? wink Sure, but I would hope that my doctor, mechanic, repairman, etc. etc. has the ability to diagnose as well.

Phil C
12-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Well I had to learn a lot of things in school that I never did use and you students sure aren't any better than us so start studying!

Old No. 7
12-11-2003, 01:02 PM
marlin fan:
why do teachers have to teach stuff we will never use or see after we leave their class :mad: ??????????????????So you will be a " well rounded person" and only rake leaves and pinestraw when you're board; and not to pay your bills. :D :D

marlin fan
12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
WoodvilleFan:

marlin fan:
yeah they are making it hard on the class of 2005 we are the first class that has to take the math reading writting science and social studies on the teks and we have to pass them all to get a deploma!!!! :mad: If you can't spell diploma correctly, you shouldn't qualify for one!!if you would have read my other post you will see that i stated that i was typing fast and dint go back and check to see if spelled everything correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

cubs
12-11-2003, 10:47 PM
At this point in your journey thru life, I would have to say you probably haven't a clue about what you will need to know later on in life. But, hey - I teach Nutrition and Food Science and EVERYBODY needs to know how to cook and take care of themselves - no worthless info in my class! LOL

husker_football_fan
12-11-2003, 11:10 PM
First off I will say that the new test they have to take is pretty hard. The TAAS was a joke, if you couldn't pass the TAAS there was no way you would be able to get my Taco Bell order right. But the state went from joke to really hard in a couple of years. They offered me fifty bucks a day to test the test. They did make it rough on 05 but you got to do what you got to do. And for all of the people that are mad that we can't spell, blame spell check, not us.

SINTON65
12-11-2003, 11:17 PM
I have to say that I thought the same thing when I was in school. Now that I am a teacher myself I look at it differently.

Passing the TAKS test means you have gain sufficient knowledge in the subject to meet minimum standards. Since the state has just given the TAKS test one year the minimum passing score is below 70 and will be increased slowly each year.

I can tell you that I would hope students who have been taught by intelligent, well-trained teachers can at least meet MINIMUM standards that the state has set. All of the burden does not lie on teachers though, students have to attend class, listen and participate in class and study the material being taught.

I know that there it seems like students are tested all the time, but the state feels like accountability measures are needed to ensure quality instruction for our students. Basically its just one of those things that is here to stay so we have to deal with it. :)

SINTON65
12-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Alright, I need to remember to re-read my post before sending it...I am a teacher and realized there's a typo in my previous post :o :o :o

Sorry!

kaorder1999
12-11-2003, 11:20 PM
SINTON65:
Alright, I need to remember to re-read my post before sending it...I am a teacher and realized there's a typo in my previous post :o :o :o

Sorry!everyone makes typos....hehe

husker_football_fan
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I think the state made the right move but it is a huge change from the TAAS. It had to be done but even you know that there is a huge difference in the test its self.

SINTON65
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks ka!

I know there is a huge difference in the test, but that is why the state has begun with a lower passing score that will be increased as I mentioned before.

Speaking as someone in the teaching profession, I don't necessarily agree with the test because I don't think a score on one test shows the true knowledge of an individual. Everyone has a bad day now and then. But at least the kids are given several chances to pass the test, its not a one-time shot. (The kids in our district as a whole did pretty well last year taking the TAKS for the first time. We were very close in scores to the state averages and higher in quite a few areas.) I can also say as an educator that it is very nerve-wracking to see the list of students who did not pass because you pray none of them were your students.

There are some educators who should not be in the classroom and if this type of test can point out some weaknesses so those individuals improve or leave the profession that would be helpful.

I also think that the state could make vast improvements to teacher's salaries and benefits to retain more quality educators. I know there are people with jobs that pay less and offer less or no benefits, but for a job that requires a college degree the pay is ridiculously low. I don't mean to open another can of worms though because I know that many people can debate that topic. :D

husker_football_fan
12-11-2003, 11:46 PM
I dont believe in test like this. Yes the ACT and the SAT are important but the others dont reflect on students. They should let teachers teach books and videos. All I rember was TAAS TAAS and more TAAS. They didnt teach history or math they taught TAAS cause their job depended on me passing the damn TAAS.

SINTON65
12-11-2003, 11:55 PM
I agree Husker, but with all the hype over the test, what college wants a student who couldn't pass the test. There are benefits to teachers and students for passing the test. Also, the test was not the teacher's doing, it was the state legislature's. With the changes in the test teachers are not supposed to have to teach to the test anymore, we are just supposed to cover the TEKS outlined for our grade level and we are told the students should do well on the test.

fmsc64
12-12-2003, 11:08 AM
:p If an education could be tailor made then we all would teach only what we considered important!
However; we all have do what's required therefore lots of things are taught that may seem unnecessary and useless at this point in your life. That is what makes you the student! Remember to become old and wise, one must first be young and dumb!! wink