PDA

View Full Version : 26 of 32 coaches from Texas in playoffs earn more than $100,000 per year

Scoop27
12-08-2018, 11:21 AM
https://usatodayhss.com/2018/twenty-six-of-the-32-coaches-in-the-texas-football-playoffs-earn-more-than-100000-per-year?fbclid=IwAR3XXqniAiP8rIkg2q5PSqaemm60-dE5-PN4SaNq1NySDRLkPY4h2R9ebYU

Caveman
12-08-2018, 11:41 AM
And the average teacher's salary in Texas is $49,780. Is it any wonder we can't attract companies like Amazon because we don't have a large enough educated workforce?

Celina8
12-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I can say that the Coach at Westlake , Lake Travis , and Highland Park even with those salaries it would still be very very difficult to actually live in those immediate school districts as the home prices , property tax and others are just so high. I know Dodge got paid well during his time at North Texas but other than that I am not sure how they could live in those districts even with those salaries.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 12:16 PM
And the average teacher's salary in Texas is $49,780. Is it any wonder we can't attract companies like Amazon because we don't have a large enough educated workforce?

Look, I agree teachers should be paid more because it’s a tough job. But let’s not pretend like they’re grossly underpaid.

Teachers work 9 months a year. They also have EVERY holiday off, they get a full week for thanksgiving and several weeks for Christmas. They have opportunities to earn extra pay by becoming department heads, master teachers, administrative positions, sponsoring programs at the school and/or coaching, tutoring, doing Saturday school, etc. Teachers also have an incredible retirement program that is sponsored by the state.

When you look at their pay on an actual hours worked rate, it’s not bad at all.

Teaching degrees are also very easy to come by. My direct experience in school tells me that very few people start off going for a teaching degree. Majority of people I know who went for more challenging degrees and changed majors, changed to teaching.... there’s a ton of teachers. It’s also a supply and demand thing....

Fire away

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 02:19 PM
You Have No Clue what being a teacher is like

Dawgs
12-08-2018, 02:41 PM
I can say that the Coach at Westlake , Lake Travis , and Highland Park even with those salaries it would still be very very difficult to actually live in those immediate school districts as the home prices , property tax and others are just so high. I know Dodge got paid well during his time at North Texas but other than that I am not sure how they could live in those districts even with those salaries.
Surratt making $154,900 a year. That’s living like a King in ETX. Some people think it’s too much, but my opinion you can’t put a price on what Surratt has done for this community. I know it’s only HSFB, but it’s actually a lot more than that. Hope they give him another raise this year.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 04:25 PM
You Have No Clue what being a teacher is like

Correct. I’m not a teacher - but teachers also have no clue what it’s like to do other jobs. I acknowledged being a teacher is tough, but try making million+ dollar decisions daily, trying being directly responsible for peoples’ safety, try going to school for 10+ years and racking up 200k in debt to be qualified for a job, try not having 3-4 months a year off, try going for a job that there aren’t people lined up out the door for. There’s reasons other careers pay better....

Teachers know what they’re signing up for, work wise and pay wise. So I’m not sure why they’re first in line tout how tough their job is and complain about their salary.

Want more money? Go get qualified to do something else. If enough people quit being teachers and there’s a shortage, they’ll be forced to pay teachers more. It’s simple economics. Unpopular opinion but that’s fine.

Fire away....

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 05:13 PM
I’m married to a teacher of 25 plus years teaching. Who did not choose her career field because of all that time off. Or a lack of intelligence to do something else. That time off is spent going to TEA mandatory curriculum seminars plus getting ready for the next year. And believe me with what they have to put up with today and the future it’s only going to get tougher.

Slyone
12-08-2018, 05:22 PM
If you think teachers are overpaid you have no idea what they really do and the hours that are put in. A very disrespectful post on this thread. I also understand that the Columbia Brazoria community has voted down several school bonds through the years. How important do you think the schools are. Not looking at getting into a peeling match. Just find the post above out of line. Good day all

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 05:55 PM
If you think teachers are overpaid you have no idea what they really do and the hours that are put in. A very disrespectful post on this thread. I also understand that the Columbia Brazoria community has voted down several school bonds through the years. How important do you think the schools are. Not looking at getting into a peeling match. Just find the post above out of line. Good day all

Please point to where I said I think teachers are overpaid.....

As for CBISD, they should pass those bonds.

I chose to live in Katy and pay astronomical district taxes so that my son could go to the best elementary in the Houston area. The teachers in KISD of course are paid better than majority of their peers.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Look, I agree teachers should be paid more because it’s a tough job. But let’s not pretend like they’re grossly underpaid.

I said quite the opposite as a matter of fact. See above.

I just told you to look at the salary on an actual hours worked standpoint. Teachers aren’t the only ones who put in long hours day to day.

50,000$ over 9 months is the equivalent of 66,666$ over 12 months....

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 06:04 PM
I’m married to a teacher of 25 plus years teaching. Who did not choose her career field because of all that time off. Or a lack of intelligence to do something else. That time off is spent going to TEA mandatory curriculum seminars plus getting ready for the next year. And believe me with what they have to put up with today and the future it’s only going to get tougher.

The landscape in college was different 25+ years ago.

The reality is nowadays teaching is considered a fallback option for tons of students in college. It’s unfortunate and I wish that weren’t the case. Of course that’s not everyone, not even the majority of teachers. But it floods the market, keeping pressure on wages for those who are in it for the right reasons and do a good job.

I would love for the quality teachers that we have to be paid accordingly, and in some places they are. We have teachers in KISD fresh out school that are making 55-60k. That’s nearly a starting engineering salary.

No degree or job is worth pursuing if you don’t do it the right way. I wouldn’t be taking a bottom tier HISD teaching job if I were a teacher.

Scoop27
12-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Especially in the lower classification schools

speedbump
12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 06:17 PM
What is the proper salary for the ones charged with the education of our future. It’s not what the average teacher is paid now or even close. I know lots of Professional educators that work second jobs to make ends meet. And the choices 25 years ago are no different than now. You don’t pick a career choice based on failure.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Priorities in this country are a joke. Coaches making twice as much as teachers proves it beyond doubt.

While I sort of agree that the discrepancy is outrageous in some cases, the athletic director is not a normal teaching position. There’s 50+ teachers in every school and 1 AD. Your average history teacher doesn’t have nearly the responsibilities the AD does.

Dawgs
12-08-2018, 06:22 PM
How much should a top notch coach make? I was raised on a teachers salary. Nothing but respect for what they do. But what salaries would you have our teachers making. You will probably be the same one voting no if they tried to raise your taxes to increase teacher salaries.

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Saggy you just keep digging a deeper hole

Dawgs
12-08-2018, 06:25 PM
And it’s only the HC/AD making that type of money. All the other coaches are making pretty much teacher wages. What should we pay our school administrators? Should they not make twice what a team we makes? Does a manager make twice what a laborer makes? Yea I think so. Same principle.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 06:25 PM
What is the proper salary for the ones charged with the education of our future. It’s not what the average teacher is paid now or even close. I know lots of Professional educators that work second jobs to make ends meet. And the choices 25 years ago are no different than now. You don’t pick a career choice based on failure.

Tons of people do pick careers based on failure.....

I’m sorry you don’t believe it, but Texas A&M has something like 80% dropout rate of their engineering program. Those students end up somewhere.... business school, teaching, polisci, sports therapy, nursing, etc. The same is true for med school, law school, etc...

I don’t know what the right number is. It depends on roles, responsibilities, talent, location, class size, and the teaching market mostly.

Dawgs
12-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Saggy you just keep digging a deeper hole

Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures.

ctown81
12-08-2018, 06:35 PM
In the dfw teachers get paid well but most teachers have worked other jobs so they can compare.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures.

LOL, I guarantee I’m the only one on this thread that has put my money where my mouth is. I voluntarily chose to live in Katy where we pay 1.5% on top (nearly half of my entire tax rate) directly to the district. That equates to over $5000 a year for me that I’m voluntarily giving to the schools.

I did that so my son could go to Katy ISD, one of the best districts in the state and by far the best in the Houston area. The athletics and education are better, and so are the teaching salaries coincidently...

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Should we raise taxes to increase teachers salaries? I’m all for that. I have absolutely zero problem paying a higher property tax to give teachers a higher salary. But I know I’m in the miniority. Would be no problem for me Eli’s to pay a extra hundred bucks a month tax if everybody would agree to the same %. Then we could pay our teachers closer to 6 figures. That’s kinda helps Saggy’s point then all the wealthy engineers. That made through the tough program fight their higher property taxes. By hiring the high priced Tax attorneys that couldn’t make it through engineering school.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2018, 06:44 PM
That’s kinda helps Saggy’s point then all the wealthy engineers. That made through the tough program fight their higher property taxes. By hiring the high priced Tax attorneys that couldn’t make it through engineering school.

Lol I love how everyone resorts to these kinds of remarks.

I’m all for a healthy debate. This forum could use some life anyways

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 06:49 PM
It is refreshing nothing against engineers or Aggies. My son in law is an aerospace engineer

Bug Truck
12-08-2018, 07:05 PM
I don’t post very often here. Usually on High School Sports Network instead. Good luck with your stance on this Saggy

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Both my parents were teachers and my dad was also a coach. Two of our four boys are teachers/coaches. My maternal grandparents were teachers and one of my aunts. All of them went to school with the intention of teaching. Every holiday off? Not so much! Many times it's either a mandatory work day or a learning center meeting day. For my job, normal work day is 8-5 with OT over 40. For coaches, during season, the day may start at 7 or before and not end until 8. And then there's classroom prep. Many teachers work a 12-month allotment of hours in 10-months. So when they get that 2 months off, they have earned it!

I grew up thinking everyone ate supper at 7:30 or after. :doh: Not so much lol.

Slyone
12-08-2018, 09:14 PM
My wife and I are both teachers. This is what we both went to college for. I actually do not have a problem with what we make. We cannot afford the best of everything but at the same time can provide for our kids. Would it be nice to earn a little more, of course, but I did not go into this profession to get rich. I take exception to the thought that we only work 9 months and such( I actually teach summer school in my district). I understand people who work other jobs have long hours also, doesn't mean teachers cannot want for more. I am originally from the north, up there the only folks who get more grief than the teachers are LEO's(whom I have tremendous respect for).

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Cannot compare a teacher's salary to an AD...an AD is an admin position. Compare them to what Supt and Principals make and they are usually right in line with those in their respective ISDs

Coaches, do not get paid to coach. They get paid to teach and are thrown a little stipend for the coaching part. a Coach making 45K to coach...is really making 40K to teach and 5K to coach. They get paid along the same lines as teachers in their ISDs.

Bosqueville
12-09-2018, 09:08 AM
LOL, I guarantee I’m the only one on this thread that has put my money where my mouth is. I voluntarily chose to live in Katy where we pay 1.5% on top (nearly half of my entire tax rate) directly to the district. That equates to over $5000 a year for me that I’m voluntarily giving to the schools.

I did that so my son could go to Katy ISD, one of the best districts in the state and by far the best in the Houston area. The athletics and education are better, and so are the teaching salaries coincidently...

I feel ya. $6,000 in China Spring...

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2018, 10:36 AM
The reality is nowadays teaching is considered a fallback option for tons of students in college. It’s unfortunate and I wish that weren’t the case. Of course that’s not everyone, not even the majority of teachers. But it floods the market, keeping pressure on wages for those who are in it for the right reasons and do a good job.

And that is a huge problem! Can't cut it in engineering or pre-med or accounting? Switch and become a teacher. The best are the ones that actually want to teach...not those that do it as a fall back.

BwdLion73
12-09-2018, 11:12 AM
I think the salary is what the market demands. Its not the coach's or AD problem.

I had a friend that was coach/AD in a small desolate West Texas town almost 30 years ago. While visiting one summer we marveled at his then teaching salary of almost 60 thousand dollars! He laughed and said he loved it...followed by...and they let me teach a class, drive a school bus , and come back to empty the trash.

Saggy Aggie
12-09-2018, 11:25 AM
And that is a huge problem! Can't cut it in engineering or pre-med or accounting? Switch and become a teacher. The best are the ones that actually want to teach...not those that do it as a fall back.

Exactly. And I’m not going to pretend teaching is the only fall back option. Engineering is a fall back option for some students pursuing pre-med and vet degrees for example. The bottom line is that there are absolutely tiers of difficulty in college nowadays

I recognize this is just one source, but bestcolleges.org says the 3 easiest degrees to obtain nowadays are:

1) Special education
2) elementary education
3) secondary education

The most difficult are:

1) biology (pre-med)
2) comp sci
3) civil engineering
4) mechanical engineering

I wish they would make the teaching degrees and certifications more difficult to come by (i.e GMAT or MCAT). If you raise the bar, it drives down retention rate and improves the quality of candidates and forces higher wages.

Somewhat surprisingly, I looked up some data that shows around 33% of students change their major in college. I would’ve expected that to be a little higher

Matthew328
12-09-2018, 10:27 PM
This article is such click bait....head football coaches for the most part are on administrator contracts and not teacher contracts.....as TXBroadcaster says their salaries are in line with principals and others in administrative positions in school districts...yes teachers are underpaid but unless we are cutting admin salaries across the board head coaches/AD contracts shouldn't be cut either

oldtownag
12-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Cutting AD/head coaching saleries would not increase teacher saleries in my opinion.

waterboy
12-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Exactly. And I’m not going to pretend teaching is the only fall back option. Engineering is a fall back option for some students pursuing pre-med and vet degrees for example. The bottom line is that there are absolutely tiers of difficulty in college nowadays

I recognize this is just one source, but bestcolleges.org says the 3 easiest degrees to obtain nowadays are:

1) Special education
2) elementary education
3) secondary education

The most difficult are:

1) biology (pre-med)
2) comp sci
3) civil engineering
4) mechanical engineering

I wish they would make the teaching degrees and certifications more difficult to come by (i.e GMAT or MCAT). If you raise the bar, it drives down retention rate and improves the quality of candidates and forces higher wages.

Somewhat surprisingly, I looked up some data that shows around 33% of students change their major in college. I would’ve expected that to be a little higher

What about those who are extremely smart, valedictorian and salutatorian in fact, choosing to be a teacher or a registered nurse? Both are making over a 97 average in college, but that is what they have chosen as their careers. Does that mean they are just not smart enough to become doctors or engineers? NO!

As the spouse of a teacher for 22 years, I can tell you that you really have no clue about the time teachers put in at their jobs. While it may be true for "some" teachers to only work about 9 months out of the year, it is not true for the vast majority of them. I've seen my wife work from 7:15 AM to 10:00 PM five days a week, and then at least 8 hours on Saturdays getting lesson plans together, grading papers, entering grades, etc. That doesn't include the continuing education classes they have to take during the summer. Suffice it to say, she used to work 12 months worth of hours in the "9 months" you're talking about. While her salary is "decent", it wouldn't be worth it for most people. You absolutely have to WANT to do it. Putting up with poor excuses for parents and state mandated testing guidelines, etc. is a whole other thing. The idea of getting rich is definitely not why teachers do what they do. If that were their intent, they definitely chose the wrong career. My wife worked 40 hours a week while working toward her degree. She knows what a "regular" job is for sure. I have nothing but respect for teachers, and yes, I believe they should be paid more. Incentive pay is extremely tough to gauge due to varying student abilities, so I wouldn't know the first "fair" way to make it valid.

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
What about those who are extremely smart, valedictorian and salutatorian in fact, choosing to be a teacher or a registered nurse? Both are making over a 97 average in college, but that is what they have chosen as their careers. Does that mean they are just not smart enough to become doctors or engineers? NO!

As the spouse of a teacher for 22 years, I can tell you that you really have no clue about the time teachers put in at their jobs. While it may be true for "some" teachers to only work about 9 months out of the year, it is not true for the vast majority of them. I've seen my wife work from 7:15 AM to 10:00 PM five days a week, and then at least 8 hours on Saturdays getting lesson plans together, grading papers, entering grades, etc. That doesn't include the continuing education classes they have to take during the summer. Suffice it to say, she used to work 12 months worth of hours in the "9 months" you're talking about. While her salary is "decent", it wouldn't be worth it for most people. You absolutely have to WANT to do it. Putting up with poor excuses for parents and state mandated testing guidelines, etc. is a whole other thing. The idea of getting rich is definitely not why teachers do what they do. If that were their intent, they definitely chose the wrong career. My wife worked 40 hours a week while working toward her degree. She knows what a "regular" job is for sure. I have nothing but respect for teachers, and yes, I believe they should be paid more. Incentive pay is extremely tough to gauge due to varying student abilities, so I wouldn't know the first "fair" way to make it valid.

I don’t think you understood the point of my post.

I’m not saying all teachers aren’t capable of doing other jobs. Vast majority certainly are. And for those who excel, they would have no problem getting the certifications even if the bar were raised substantially.

What I’m saying is they should make the degrees and certifications more difficult to get. That would force out the mediocre candidates, and the ones who aren’t doing it because teaching is what they love. This would drive up wages for teachers like your wife.....

I think everyone on this thread thinks I’m the bad guy because they aren’t actually reading what I’m saying. I’m saying good teachers are victims of the lax requirements to be a teacher.....

waterboy
12-10-2018, 11:15 AM
I don’t think you understood the point of my post.

I’m not saying all teachers aren’t capable of doing other jobs. Vast majority certainly are. And for those who excel, they would have no problem getting the certifications even if the bar were raised substantially.

What I’m saying is they should make the degrees and certifications more difficult to get. That would force out the mediocre candidates, and the ones who aren’t doing it because teaching is what they love. This would drive up wages for teachers like your wife.....

I think everyone on this thread thinks I’m the bad guy because they aren’t actually reading what I’m saying. I’m saying good teachers are victims of the lax requirements to be a teacher.....

I understand what you're saying about incentives and making it tougher to become a teacher. I don't necessarily agree, though. I just take exception to the insinuation that people only take teacher jobs or nursing jobs because they weren't smart enough to do anything else. That may not have been the way you intended it, but that's the way it came across. That, and the "9 months a year" lie for teachers. My eldest daughter was valedictorian of her class, makes the President's list every semester in college, and yet she actually wants to become a teacher like her mother. She knows she won't get rich doing it but that is her chosen career path, and she will graduate in the spring. My youngest daughter was salutatorian (should have been valedictorian, but that's a whole other story) and has a 98 average in college right now. She has always wanted to be a registered nurse, and I know that she will be. She knows she faces extremely long hours, though the pay is good, but that is what she wants to do. They certainly have my blessing, though either of them are smart enough to be anything they want to be, including a doctor, engineer, accountant, etc.

panther89
12-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Teachers work 9 months a year. They also have EVERY holiday off, they get a full week for thanksgiving and several weeks for Christmas. They have opportunities to earn extra pay by becoming department heads, master teachers, administrative positions, sponsoring programs at the school and/or coaching, tutoring, doing Saturday school, etc. Teachers also have an incredible retirement program that is sponsored by the state.

When you look at their pay on an actual hours worked rate, it’s not bad at all.

Teaching degrees are also very easy to come by. My direct experience in school tells me that very few people start off going for a teaching degree. Majority of people I know who went for more challenging degrees and changed majors, changed to teaching.... there’s a ton of teachers. It’s also a supply and demand thing....

Fire away

I sure hope this is sarcasm.

panther89
12-10-2018, 12:27 PM
No teacher works 9 months a year. None. I work from the beginning of August to the middle of June almost. I get a month and a half off. No, wait, I don't because I have professional development workshops I go to through out the summer.

Yes, I knew what I was signing up for when I began teaching 18 years ago, and I can't see myself doing anything else, but don't think that teachers have it easy with our "three" months off during the summer and our 4 weeks we have off for various holidays and such.

I work in a small district, and my pay is not even what you quoted above, but again that was my choice to work here because of the lack of stress from working in a huge district.

lostaussie
12-10-2018, 05:10 PM
OH MY JEEZ. I started trying to read through all this and just gave up. :doh:

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2018, 05:32 PM
No teacher works 9 months a year. None. I work from the beginning of August to the middle of June almost. I get a month and a half off. No, wait, I don't because I have professional development workshops I go to through out the summer.

Yes, I knew what I was signing up for when I began teaching 18 years ago, and I can't see myself doing anything else, but don't think that teachers have it easy with our "three" months off during the summer and our 4 weeks we have off for various holidays and such.

I work in a small district, and my pay is not even what you quoted above, but again that was my choice to work here because of the lack of stress from working in a huge district.

Again, I’m not a teacher so my perspective is probably skewed... but my best friend is a teacher and he gets his summers off mostly. Sure there is a week or so that he has things he needs to do, but he again gets paid extra to attend those conferences. If he chooses to work the summer, he gets paid. Maybe that’s not the case for all of you.

Maybe you’re not off the full 3 months, but there is substantial time off.

Your regularly scheduled hours are no different than the rest of us who put in extra time every week. I find it very disingenuous for you all to pretend like you work long hours every single week.

Somebody else on this thread just tried to tell me their wife worked until 10pm 5 days in a row and then on Saturday. That may be the case once, but that’s not every week. We’ve ALL had weeks like that, if not worse.

I worked 56 hours just last week, and then worked 4 hours Saturday and 6 hours Sunday, and I got into the office at 4:30am this morning - granted I have a big deliverable this week. That’s not every week.

I have worked 112 hour work weeks offshore before and plenty of 80+ hour weeks offshore and in Louisiana. I have worked until 2 am to submit deliverables. To me the “12 months worth of work in 9 months” is BS.

Sorry, maybe it’s just me but I have 0 sympathy for crying about working long hours. Apparently no one else works long hours at work. Maybe the rest of the world works 8-5 M-F

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2018, 05:38 PM
I understand what you're saying about incentives and making it tougher to become a teacher. I don't necessarily agree, though. I just take exception to the insinuation that people only take teacher jobs or nursing jobs because they weren't smart enough to do anything else. That may not have been the way you intended it, but that's the way it came across. That, and the "9 months a year" lie for teachers. My eldest daughter was valedictorian of her class, makes the President's list every semester in college, and yet she actually wants to become a teacher like her mother. She knows she won't get rich doing it but that is her chosen career path, and she will graduate in the spring. My youngest daughter was salutatorian (should have been valedictorian, but that's a whole other story) and has a 98 average in college right now. She has always wanted to be a registered nurse, and I know that she will be. She knows she faces extremely long hours, though the pay is good, but that is what she wants to do. They certainly have my blessing, though either of them are smart enough to be anything they want to be, including a doctor, engineer, accountant, etc.

I guess I’ll have to say it again but nowhere did I say that people ONLY take teaching jobs because they’re easier to get. I said SOME do that and it hurts those who do teach because they love teaching. Facts are facts any way you slice it

A portion of people do not reflect the overall teaching community

speedbump
12-10-2018, 06:08 PM
.............. at any rate,many if not most coaches,are over paid regardless of the type of contract or what teachers make.

oldtownag
12-10-2018, 08:33 PM
.............. at any rate,many if not most coaches,are over paid regardless of the type of contract or what teachers make.

You do realize that most coaches are teachers?

speedbump
12-10-2018, 10:07 PM
You do realize that most coaches are teachers?

Yep, but I'm from the old school.

Scoop27
12-11-2018, 08:22 AM
And the coaches in smaller enrollment school (A-3A) even more coaches are teachers

Crow22
12-11-2018, 10:02 AM
I said quite the opposite as a matter of fact. See above.

I just told you to look at the salary on an actual hours worked standpoint. Teachers aren’t the only ones who put in long hours day to day.

50,000$ over 9 months is the equivalent of 66,666$ over 12 months....

9 months is a myth. Teachers (and especially coaches who teach) get about 4 weeks off during the summer if they're lucky and work for a good school district. Summer training, workshops, exchange days, comp days, etc have almost eaten away the "time off" you claim they get during the summer. Its a 12 month job now. Just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean the teachers are just as free as they are....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2018, 08:32 PM
9 months is a myth. Teachers (and especially coaches who teach) get about 4 weeks off during the summer if they're lucky and work for a good school district. Summer training, workshops, exchange days, comp days, etc have almost eaten away the "time off" you claim they get during the summer. Its a 12 month job now. Just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean the teachers are just as free as they are....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Do you get paid extra for those trainings, workshops, etc.....?

Regardless, you get at least 4 weeks in summer. Roughly 4 weeks in holidays.... regular vacation time....

Anyway you slice it, that’s still an extra 7-8 weeks at minimum, LOL

LH Panther Mom
12-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Unless someone is an AD in the big schools, they're not making anywhere close to this. Teachers get state mandated + whatever over, if any, the district pays. Coaches get a stipend/sport above that. And it is pittance to the hours. Whoever said click bait was right!

Gontex
12-12-2018, 08:28 AM
I challenge you to spend one year as a teacher (if you are qualified) and then come back and tell us how easy teachers have it.

Crow22
12-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Do you get paid extra for those trainings, workshops, etc.....?

Regardless, you get at least 4 weeks in summer. Roughly 4 weeks in holidays.... regular vacation time....

Anyway you slice it, that’s still an extra 7-8 weeks at minimum, LOL

No, we don't get paid extra for those trainings/workshops/etc. I'm a teacher and a coach. Been doing it for 22 years. I love it. However, there is a HUGE misunderstanding of all the "free time" teachers, and especially coaches, get during the year. I've been an AD as well and I can tell you that there's no comparison as to the amount of hours and responsibilities between an AD and a teacher. The AD is, and should be, paid like an administrator.

So I'm all for raising the pay for teachers and more specifically, teachers who coach. And saying that teachers only work 9 months a year is absurd, false, and misinformed.

panther89
12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Again, I’m not a teacher so my perspective is probably skewed... but my best friend is a teacher and he gets his summers off mostly. Sure there is a week or so that he has things he needs to do, but he again gets paid extra to attend those conferences. If he chooses to work the summer, he gets paid. Maybe that’s not the case for all of you.

Maybe you’re not off the full 3 months, but there is substantial time off.

Your regularly scheduled hours are no different than the rest of us who put in extra time every week. I find it very disingenuous for you all to pretend like you work long hours every single week.

Somebody else on this thread just tried to tell me their wife worked until 10pm 5 days in a row and then on Saturday. That may be the case once, but that’s not every week. We’ve ALL had weeks like that, if not worse.

I worked 56 hours just last week, and then worked 4 hours Saturday and 6 hours Sunday, and I got into the office at 4:30am this morning - granted I have a big deliverable this week. That’s not every week.

I have worked 112 hour work weeks offshore before and plenty of 80+ hour weeks offshore and in Louisiana. I have worked until 2 am to submit deliverables. To me the “12 months worth of work in 9 months” is BS.

Sorry, maybe it’s just me but I have 0 sympathy for crying about working long hours. Apparently no one else works long hours at work. Maybe the rest of the world works 8-5 M-F

I know it is futile for me to be arguing with you about this. So just a couple more things and I'll be done with this conversation.

1. No, I do not get paid to attend trainings or workshops during the summer. (That may just be the district I'm in though).

2. I get to work at 6:30 every morning, and don't leave until after 5. No it's not your 112 hours a week, but it also is not typical bankers hours either. And I am not coaching anymore, so this is a breeze compared to what it used to be. LOL.

3. I work doing something on most Saturdays and Sundays, although I am not physically at school.

4. With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your sympathy, as I am not asking for it. I am just stating a fact that most people don't know what being a "good" teacher entails.

5. Finally, as I have stated before, I knew what I was getting into 18 years ago, and I feel that I am where I belong. If that comes with a lower than normal salary, then so be it. It is what I signed up for.

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to put my side of it out there. Thanks for the good discussion Saggy Aggie.

waterboy
12-12-2018, 10:15 AM
No, we don't get paid extra for those trainings/workshops/etc. I'm a teacher and a coach. Been doing it for 22 years. I love it. However, there is a HUGE misunderstanding of all the "free time" teachers, and especially coaches, get during the year. I've been an AD as well and I can tell you that there's no comparison as to the amount of hours and responsibilities between an AD and a teacher. The AD is, and should be, paid like an administrator.

So I'm all for raising the pay for teachers and more specifically, teachers who coach. And saying that teachers only work 9 months a year is absurd, false, and misinformed.

Thank you for what you do. I had no idea what teachers endured until I married one. People who say what Saggy is saying don't have a clue what teachers and/or coaches do, how many hours they put in, days they work, etc. And, NO, teachers don't get "extra" pay for the continuing education and seminars unless it requires an overnight stay. Then, it's only for the motel room, meals, and mileage just like any other job. Most teachers choose to have their annual salary spread out over 12 months, and only get paid once a month. Your last paragraph says it all.

waterboy
12-12-2018, 10:17 AM
I know it is futile for me to be arguing with you about this. So just a couple more things and I'll be done with this conversation.

1. No, I do not get paid to attend trainings or workshops during the summer. (That may just be the district I'm in though).

2. I get to work at 6:30 every morning, and don't leave until after 5. No it's not your 112 hours a week, but it also is not typical bankers hours either. And I am not coaching anymore, so this is a breeze compared to what it used to be. LOL.

3. I work doing something on most Saturdays and Sundays, although I am not physically at school.

4. With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your sympathy, as I am not asking for it. I am just stating a fact that most people don't know what being a "good" teacher entails.

5. Finally, as I have stated before, I knew what I was getting into 18 years ago, and I feel that I am where I belong. If that comes with a lower than normal salary, then so be it. It is what I signed up for.

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to put my side of it out there. Thanks for the good discussion Saggy Aggie.

Thank you for what you do, panther89. It takes a special type of person to be a teacher, just like being a cop or firefighter.

panther89
12-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Thank you for what you do, panther89. It takes a special type of person to be a teacher, just like being a cop or firefighter.

Thank you waterboy. I appreciate it. I could not do the jobs our law enforcement or firefighters do. They are the really special people.

Gontex
12-12-2018, 06:25 PM
It is really bad when someone who has no clue tries to tell you how easy teachers have it. I strongly suspect that this guy wouldn't last two days in a classroom

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Lol I didn’t know I was going to get so many buttburt teachers on this thread. Excellent

Please point to where I said teachers have it easy. Please....

I simply said let’s not pretend like teachers are GROSSLY underpaid.... grossly being the key word. I said look at the pay on an actual hours worked standpoint. I said teachers aren’t the only ones who work long hours.

People keep putting words in my mouth and not addressing what I’m actually saying. It’s fine if you disagree, but try quoting something I actually wrote

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Appreciate a real response. I have tried to stay cordial with a lot of folks attacking me for my opinion. I knew it wouldn’t be a popular opinion but that’s fine.

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2018, 08:42 PM
I know this is just one source.... but here’s an article that says some of the same things I’ve said... with real data...

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/02/are-teachers-overpaid/there-are-simply-too-many-teachers

I am the only person on this thread who has posted anything that supports my claims. Debate is good when it’s more than just offended people attacking an opinionated person....

Crow22
12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
I know this is just one source.... but here’s an article that says some of the same things I’ve said... with real data...

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/02/are-teachers-overpaid/there-are-simply-too-many-teachers

I am the only person on this thread who has posted anything that supports my claims. Debate is good when it’s more than just offended people attacking an opinionated person....

I'm certainly not offended and I don't believe I'm attacking you for disagreeing with your position. Its your right to think and say whatever you want. I happen to know/think different because its been my profession for over 2 decades. I can tell you for certain that during a coaches "season" (especially football) that most will work upwards of 80-120 (or more) hours per week. My personal "average" during football would be 6:45am - 7:30pm (monday-wedns) and 6:45am to 10:30pm (thurs-friday).....then 8am-3pm (sat).....then 1pm-8pm (sun).

I wish like hell I was on hourly instead of salary. Most teachers would agree.

(edit) Regarding the New York Times article you posted, its clearly an advocacy for "incentive based" income for teachers. I would fight to my death to oppose that. Absolutely not. Never.....

You can take the best teacher in the world and place them in an area of low-income families and their test scores are not going to be up to par when compared to an area of high-income families. In other words, take a crappy teacher and place them in an affluent area and his/her scores (regardless of how good the teacher is) will be better than a fabulous teacher in a tougher area. And by that logic, the crappy teacher would be paid more. Its completely flawed and will drive the education system further in the toilet by making teachers be forced to go to more affluent areas to teach. The inner-city schools would crater and would be worse than what they are now.

oldtownag
12-13-2018, 10:00 AM
When picking a profession there are many things to consider. The most common are salary opportunities, work hours, and personal fulfillment. I understand advocating for higher pay but find it perplexing when someone picks a profession with low pay and then expresses outrage regarding that low pay. It's even more disturbing when someone attacks another profession's higher pay as a reason for their professions low pay.

panfan
12-13-2018, 12:04 PM
A bit off topic but related and a likely unpopular opinion. Teachers who advocate for more pay are justified in doing so based on the jobs they perform relative to Coach/ADs.

High paid coaches/ADs are administrators who manage their specialty sport and other sports and coaches under them - they put in a lot of work, and I do not think they should be paid any less. Key is that for most of them, they are managing players who want to be there. They also have recourse for those kids that are issues - extra conditioning, holding them out of games, eliminating them from the team, etc. Must deal with parents but for the most part, are the masters of their destiny when it comes to dealing with parents. I doubt any head coaches/ADs get called to the office and told "Johnny's mama called, and complained that he isn't getting enough playing time - you need to fix that".

Teachers -must teach who is in their class, deal with the kids who don't want to be there, try to make sure they pass, have no discipline authority in the classroom except to write a referral, and must educate to the best of their ability kids who simply cannot do the work. They are held accountable through testing scores, more than just the state mandated test, and are double dinged for kids who are unable to do the work, and should be in special education classes separate from the bulk of the students simply because they cannot learn at the same pace or the level of the material. They put in extraordinary amounts of time grading papers, figure out new or different ways to convey the lesson for those who are not getting it, and preparing lessons to move those who are ahead without out holding them back to much. Dealing with parents is a nightmare - most often at the mercy of administrators who side with parents because they are worried about lawsuits or not ad hearing to 504 plans (welfare for most who are too lazy to do the work - some are legit though). Can't fail anyone because that looks bad and hurts the school rating even though little johnny hasn't done a thing all year or mamma complains often to admins that his/her 504 is not being followed.

The standards for accountability, responsibility, and pay are very different and lopsided.

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
I'm certainly not offended and I don't believe I'm attacking you for disagreeing with your position. Its your right to think and say whatever you want. I happen to know/think different because its been my profession for over 2 decades. I can tell you for certain that during a coaches "season" (especially football) that most will work upwards of 80-120 (or more) hours per week. My personal "average" during football would be 6:45am - 7:30pm (monday-wedns) and 6:45am to 10:30pm (thurs-friday).....then 8am-3pm (sat).....then 1pm-8pm (sun).

I wish like hell I was on hourly instead of salary. Most teachers would agree.

(edit) Regarding the New York Times article you posted, its clearly an advocacy for "incentive based" income for teachers. I would fight to my death to oppose that. Absolutely not. Never.....

You can take the best teacher in the world and place them in an area of low-income families and their test scores are not going to be up to par when compared to an area of high-income families. In other words, take a crappy teacher and place them in an affluent area and his/her scores (regardless of how good the teacher is) will be better than a fabulous teacher in a tougher area. And by that logic, the crappy teacher would be paid more. Its completely flawed and will drive the education system further in the toilet by making teachers be forced to go to more affluent areas to teach. The inner-city schools would crater and would be worse than what they are now.

Those are definitely tough hours during the season.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that test scores are the grading mechanism used to determine salary. There are many better ways to gauge individual performance IMO

Crow22
12-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Those are definitely tough hours during the season.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that test scores are the grading mechanism used to determine salary. There are many better ways to gauge individual performance IMO

Incentive based teacher salary proposals are 100% based upon test scores.

Cam
12-13-2018, 04:42 PM
OH MY JEEZ. I started trying to read through all this and just gave up. :doh:

.....I'm late to this party....but how bout just a good ol' Cam limerick?......:doh:

waterboy
12-13-2018, 05:06 PM

And I don't think that's a fair way to judge a teacher's performance at all. I'll spare the details of the reasons, but as teacher, I'm pretty sure you already know them. Honestly, I don't how you would base incentive pay that would be fair.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2018, 07:51 PM

People are not posting links because they are telling you their own real-world experience. Also what you posted there is something from 2012 and really provides no proof. It is an opinion piece that one of the links is expired.

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Yeah, and that shouldn’t be the case

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2018, 07:52 PM
People are not posting links because they are telling you their own real-world experience. Also what you posted there is something from 2012 and really provides no proof. It is an opinion piece that one of the links is expired.

Right, and I have real world experience when it comes to college and changing majors. That isn’t the only link I posted either....

duckhunter
12-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Right, and I have real world experience when it comes to college and changing majors. That isn’t the only link I posted either....

some simple facts I will post

1. Teachers are underpaid
2. coaches are underpaid
3. generation x parents/liberals/ snowflakes/ helicopter parents, etc are the driving force behind good teachers leaving. Teachers/administrators arent allowed to discipline students anymore and schools are turning into zoo's. Even more of a reason they are underpaid, having to put up with so much BS instead of being allowed to discipline children and teaching them.

and SAGGY in one of your post you made a comment about responsibilities of teachers compared to other jobs and you said teachers dont have to worry about being directly related to the safety of other people???? After reading that I ignored all of your other posts. Absolutely ludicrous of a statement to make.

Saggy Aggie
12-14-2018, 02:22 PM

2. coaches are underpaid
3. generation x parents/liberals/ snowflakes/ helicopter parents, etc are the driving force behind good teachers leaving. Teachers/administrators arent allowed to discipline students anymore and schools are turning into zoo's. Even more of a reason they are underpaid, having to put up with so much BS instead of being allowed to discipline children and teaching them.

and SAGGY in one of your post you made a comment about responsibilities of teachers compared to other jobs and you said teachers dont have to worry about being directly related to the safety of other people???? After reading that I ignored all of your other posts. Absolutely ludicrous of a statement to make.Agreed to an extent on your first couple points.

I don’t think you understood what I meant..... classrooms are controlled environments... I’m not talking about a kid scraping his knee or breaking his arm on a jungle gym...

I meant those situations where there is DIRECT exposure to REAL risk (airline pilots, for example). When is the last time a teachers screwup caused a kid to die...?

You guys are missing the points completely.

Macarthur
12-20-2018, 04:55 PM
I'm kinda late to this thread, but like the exchange. I tend to agree with some of what Saggy is saying. I personally think teachers are underpaid, but not grossly. I actually think the salaries for Football coaches are ridiculous, and I have coaches in my family and played sports in HS and College, so I'm no liberal snowflake. When schools are cutting, not only arts programs, but also core curriculum because they don't have the funds, that means our priorities are out of whack. tens of millions on stadiums and $125k+ coaching salaries are indefensible. Sorry, that's a fact.

And I know that teachers put in lots of hours, but that is a moot point really because, as Saggy points out, lots of folks put in long hours. And the time off thing is a real issue, IMO. I've given back ove r100 hours of PTO each of the last years to my company because I wasn't able to take it so I lost it. To say that you ONLY get 4 weeks off in the summer strikes me as a bit out of touch. I don't get 4 weeks in the summer. I don't get 2 weeks at Christmas and a week in the spring.

Again, I'm not attacking teachers, but I do have some family and friends that are teachers and they do sometimes come across as tone deaf when they post about how excited they are for their break or can't wait etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us get our ass up and go to work again.

Macarthur
12-20-2018, 05:00 PM

2. coaches are underpaid

and SAGGY in one of your post you made a comment about responsibilities of teachers compared to other jobs and you said teachers dont have to worry about being directly related to the safety of other people???? After reading that I ignored all of your other posts. Absolutely ludicrous of a statement to make.

I also want to address this. My kids go to a very affluent school in San Antonio that is similar to Saggy in Katy - very high achieving with a high level of parent participation. While I tend to agree that discipline is problematic these days, I will also say that over the course of my kids school years (one in college and my last one in middle), I have run into some teachers that are complete idiots. It's amazing to me they were able to graduate from college. Now, that is a small minority, but make no mistake, there are issues on both sides - the parent and school.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2018, 07:02 PM
I'm kinda late to this thread, but like the exchange. I tend to agree with some of what Saggy is saying. I personally think teachers are underpaid, but not grossly. I actually think the salaries for Football coaches are ridiculous, and I have coaches in my family and played sports in HS and College, so I'm no liberal snowflake. When schools are cutting, not only arts programs, but also core curriculum because they don't have the funds, that means our priorities are out of whack. tens of millions on stadiums and $125k+ coaching salaries are indefensible. Sorry, that's a fact.

And I know that teachers put in lots of hours, but that is a moot point really because, as Saggy points out, lots of folks put in long hours. And the time off thing is a real issue, IMO. I've given back ove r100 hours of PTO each of the last years to my company because I wasn't able to take it so I lost it. To say that you ONLY get 4 weeks off in the summer strikes me as a bit out of touch. I don't get 4 weeks in the summer. I don't get 2 weeks at Christmas and a week in the spring.

Again, I'm not attacking teachers, but I do have some family and friends that are teachers and they do sometimes come across as tone deaf when they post about how excited they are for their break or can't wait etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us get our ass up and go to work again.

Again..coaches who make 125K are ADs..that is admin position. The principals and Supt are making as much if not more if an AD is getting that much.

Twirling Time
12-21-2018, 02:35 PM
I absolutely refuse to fault a person based on his or her check stub. Good on you for getting what you get for an honest day of work, whatever your profession.

That's why tons of Okies are here instead of there.

Macarthur
12-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Again..coaches who make 125K are ADs..that is admin position. The principals and Supt are making as much if not more if an AD is getting that much.

I understand this point. It still doesn't change my opinion. By just saying 'it's an admin position' doesn't magically make it okay then...Principals and supt should make more. Years ago I remember when these coaching salaries started going up, many districts had to give major raises to principals and supt because coaches couldn't make more than those positions. That's wrong . I fault no one for making what they can. I'm simply saying that our priorities are out of whack when we are cutting curriculum all over the place, yet coaches and admin salaries have skyrocketed over the last 10 to 20 years and we're spending $60 million+ on stadiums.

Macarthur
12-28-2018, 11:44 AM
There's another even larger picture here. Real wages in this country have barely moved in a couple of decades. When average tax payers wages have been stagnant and coaches and school admin salaries have skyrocketed in the last two decades, it's clear we have our priorities off.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2018/07/18/meet-the-texas-teachers-100000-club-7300-six-figure-educators-cost-taxpayers-903-million/#4d84568d10ae

https://texasmonitor.org/austin-isd-student-teacher-numbers-decreasing-while-admin-salaries-rise/

Matthew328
12-28-2018, 10:48 PM
I understand this point. It still doesn't change my opinion. By just saying 'it's an admin position' doesn't magically make it okay then...Principals and supt should make more. Years ago I remember when these coaching salaries started going up, many districts had to give major raises to principals and supt because coaches couldn't make more than those positions. That's wrong . I fault no one for making what they can. I'm simply saying that our priorities are out of whack when we are cutting curriculum all over the place, yet coaches and admin salaries have skyrocketed over the last 10 to 20 years and we're spending $60 million+ on stadiums.

Money for stadiums has absolutely zero to do with teacher salaries, curriculum budgets etc...two totally different pots of money based on Texas school finance law.....I have no problem with a head football coach who is also an AD making an administrator salary....they do a lot of work behind the scenes that the average layperson doesn't know about.....now if we want to say all admin salaries in public schools are bloated...you might be onto something, but compared with other admin positions in most school districts, football coaches are in line...

cowboyandchrist
01-02-2019, 10:06 AM

coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.

cookiemonster
01-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Bottom line is Im not sure $125,000 is worth doing that job. Always under a microscope, people in the community treating you like **** because you didnt win a game or had to make an unpopular decision, people telling your kids in school that they are gunna have to leave there home because "my daddy is gunna get your dad fired." Heck no! Im out on that and those things happen way more than people like to admit. Although the Coaching profession can be very rewarding it also can consume a life and be very cruel.

Macarthur
01-04-2019, 01:37 PM
coach Surratt has made the school enough money every year since he has been at Carthage to pay his salary and many more.
My wife was a teacher for 30 years, the last 18 as director of Technology. the last 18 years she got two weeks vacation and school holidays.
I know a little about what teachers go through and it is a tough job.
2080 hours is what most people work excluding overtime in a calendar year. Most teachers do not work 2080 hours in a calendar year.

How had the football coach made the school money?

Macarthur
01-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Money for stadiums has absolutely zero to do with teacher salaries, curriculum budgets etc...two totally different pots of money based on Texas school finance law.....I have no problem with a head football coach who is also an AD making an administrator salary....they do a lot of work behind the scenes that the average layperson doesn't know about.....now if we want to say all admin salaries in public schools are bloated...you might be onto something, but compared with other admin positions in most school districts, football coaches are in line...

While your point here may technically correct, it still points to priorities. Schools are cutting programming all over the place and still building multi-million $ stadiums. The point that these come from diff pots of money is irrelevant given that there is a finite amount of money.

I remember the stories of when my old school build a new stadium in 1969. They used the tradesmen in the community and they donated time. My grandfather was a plumber and did all the plumbing work for the stadium. I realize times change, but make no mistake, it's become about the all mighty dollar.

Matthew328
01-06-2019, 10:42 AM
How had the football coach made the school money?

Schools take home checks from playoff games for the gate...typically football playoff games do generate the schools money and as the rounds progress those checks do increase into mid-five figures....I know after expenses were paid schools will clear a nice chunk of change from the state title games....

Matthew328
01-06-2019, 10:45 AM
While your point here may technically correct, it still points to priorities. Schools are cutting programming all over the place and still building multi-million $ stadiums. The point that these come from diff pots of money is irrelevant given that there is a finite amount of money.

I remember the stories of when my old school build a new stadium in 1969. They used the tradesmen in the community and they donated time. My grandfather was a plumber and did all the plumbing work for the stadium. I realize times change, but make no mistake, it's become about the all mighty dollar.

In the state of Texas we allow individual communities to determine their destiny...those communities when voting for bonds should make their voices heard in regards to bonds and vote those construction bonds down and demand accountability from their administrators regarding educational programs being cut...

I am interested to hear which school districts are building multi-million dollar stadiums while also cutting educational programs....if you dont mind could you share some examples?? I would definitely like to look into those situations to get some more color behind that

cowboyandchrist
01-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Playoff game attendance that’s how.
6 state championships and 9 semi final in 12 years. Carthage travels very well.

speedbump
01-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Playoff game attendance that’s how.
6 state championships and 9 semi final in 12 years. Carthage travels very well.

Always comes back to the almighty dollar doesn't it. Over 100 grand to teach children to play. lol People will try to defend anything as long as they can make it about money. It's the American way.

Matthew328
01-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Always comes back to the almighty dollar doesn't it. Over 100 grand to teach children to play. lol People will try to defend anything as long as they can make it about money. It's the American way.

I can assure you football coach who is also an athletic director does much more than just teach children "to play"

Matthew328
01-06-2019, 09:26 PM
A General job description for an athletic director in a Texas public school district

Program Planning
1. Direct and manage district’s athletic program and facilities
2. Establish physical and academic eligibility requirements for participation in each sport, and verify
each athlete’s eligibility.
3. Maintain an active program that promotes good sportsmanship and student development.
4. Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge athletic program
effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
5. Plan necessary time, resources, and materials to support accomplishment of department goals.
Athletic Events
6. Prepare and approve all interscholastic game schedules.
7. Arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town athletic events.
8. Manage district athletic operations by directing ticket sales, employing game officials, and ensuring
preparation of facilities.
9. Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all athletic equipment.
10. Coordinate the use of all athletic facilities by nonschool groups.
11. Plan, organize, and supervise all athletic awards programs.

Student Management
12. Implement district student management policies, communicate expected student behavior related to
athletics, and ensure enforcement of student discipline in accordance with Student Code of Conduct
and student handbook.
13. Establish and maintain open lines of communication by conducting conferences on vital issues with
parents, students, and teachers.

Policy, Reports, and Law
14. Implement the policies established by federal law, state law, State Board of Education rule, UIL rules,
and local board policy in area of athletics.
15. Compile, maintain, file and present all physical and computerized reports, records, and other
documents required.

Budget and Inventory
16. Administer the athletic budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and that funds are managed
prudently.
17. Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
18. Initiate purchase orders and bids in accordance with budgetary limitations and district policies.
19. Maintain a current inventory of supplies and equipment and recommend disposal and replacement of
equipment when necessary.
20. Approve and forward purchase orders for athletic department to accounting department.

Personnel Management
21. Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions for athletic department.
22. Recruit, select, train, and supervise all athletic department personnel and make sound
recommendations about personnel placement, assignments, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
23. Evaluate job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
24. Develop training options and/or improvement plans for employees to ensure exemplary operation in
area of athletics.

Community Relations
25. Articulate the district’s mission and goals in the area of athletics to community and solicit its support
in realizing mission.
26. Demonstrate awareness of district and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
27. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
28. Support athletic booster club activities.

Supervisory Responsibilities:
Supervise and evaluate the performance of coaches and support staff

Working Conditions:
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent district and statewide travel; occasional prolonged
and irregular hours.

This is in addition to coaching the football team and serving as administrator on duty at many sporting events outside of football..

speedbump
01-06-2019, 10:09 PM
Yep. it takes a lot to organize quality play time. Bottom line is simply that athletics aren't even close to the most important subject at a school. Sport is a cash cow for a lot of people and sadly it's trickling down further and further. The greed heads will soon be trying to sign seven year olds and they will be defended the same way. Sad

Matthew328
01-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Yep. it takes a lot to organize quality play time. Bottom line is simply that athletics aren't even close to the most important subject at a school. Sport is a cash cow for a lot of people and sadly it's trickling down further and further. The greed heads will soon be trying to sign seven year olds and they will be defended the same way. Sad

Guess we'll agree to disagree

Macarthur
01-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Schools take home checks from playoff games for the gate...typically football playoff games do generate the schools money and as the rounds progress those checks do increase into mid-five figures....I know after expenses were paid schools will clear a nice chunk of change from the state title games....

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/sportsdaydfw/2011/11/17/special-report-an-inside-look-at-the-finances-behind-hs-football-in-the-dallas-area

This article is a few years old, but basically there are 3 schools in this sample that actually 'made' money for their school.

Look at some of the negative numbers on here. It's staggering. If anything, with salaries where they are now, this gap has probably widened. Frankly, this thread actually made me dig more deeply into this and it's actually worse than I thought. Keep in mind, even these schools that actually did 'make money' are giants. You telling me the other 700+ high school teams in Texas are making money?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-schools-spending-millions-on-football-stadiums/

Ross Kecseg with the Austin-based fiscal watchdog group Empower Texans calls the money being spent on high school stadiums "excessive." The larger problem, he says, is school officials who combine outsize expenditures in one large bond package, leaving voters with no option to approve or reject one project over another. New school construction, building renovations, requests for more buses and other needs may be wrapped into a single request.

"When they put these propositions on the ballot, they put a whole lot of other things with them," Kecseg said. "By law they're allowed to separate the different requests ... but they lump them all together in an all-or-nothing proposition."

The above points out one of the major issues.

– Richardson ISD taxpayers asked for an opportunity to vote for two bonds: One covering necessary expenditures such as facility updates and additional classrooms (with no tax increase); The other for luxury items: $60 million for 4 indoor football practice fields, one at each high school, and $17 million for “library renovation” at every school. The taxpayers’ request for two bonds was rejected, as the district adopted an “all-or-nothing” approach that appears to be the prevailing bond strategy by districts across the state of Texas.
https://texasscorecard.com/commentary/richardson-isd-bond-proposal-four-new-indoor-football-fields/

I could post numerous examples of this. We clearly have our priorities out of whack.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/02/school-finance-dead-cash-strapped-districts-prepare-worst/

This issue is never more relevant than in the small towns struggling to meet a budget.

"We don't have football because of costs. We don't have ag because of costs. We don't have band because of costs," said Superintendent O.K. Wolfenbarger III.

He plans to keep cutting back on supplies, using less copy paper, finding cheaper deals on utilities and not rehiring support staff.

"If I start cutting teacher positions ... I've got kids that are going to be in danger of not having the courses they need to graduate," he said.

How can you read this and think we don't have a real problem?

SaltySixes
01-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Well this thread got personal for quite a few very quickly. That being said I Totally agree with Saggy. As a younger person, (almost definitely younger than the majority here) I can say I did and do recognize the different tiers of difficulty in varying college degrees... education is not at the top lol... furthermore, the level of difficulty and intensiveness that a job requires does not equate to how much that job pays... compensation is based solely on supply and demand. Teaching certificates are relatively easy to obtain => there will be too many teachers. => teaching wages will remain relatively low... taxes have nothing to do with the compensation, and are not a solution. The only solution is to make it harder to become a teacher.

Saggy Aggie
01-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Well this thread got personal for quite a few very quickly. That being said I Totally agree with Saggy. As a younger person, (almost definitely younger than the majority here) I can say I did and do recognize the different tiers of difficulty in varying college degrees... education is not at the top lol... furthermore, the level of difficulty and intensiveness that a job requires does not equate to how much that job pays... compensation is based solely on supply and demand. Teaching certificates are relatively easy to obtain => there will be too many teachers. => teaching wages will remain relatively low... taxes have nothing to do with the compensation, and are not a solution. The only solution is to make it harder to become a teacher.

Did we just become friends? Hahaha

Tejastrue
01-12-2019, 11:33 PM
It has always been the yutes have all the answers.

SaltySixes
01-13-2019, 01:20 AM
It has always been the yutes have all the answers.

Hello to you tejas. Do you gave an opinion?

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Hello to you tejas. Do you gave an opinion?

Of course he does..... but it’s much easier to just sit back and take shots at people

SaltySixes
01-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Of course he does..... but it’s much easier to just sit back and take shots at people

Especially at the, “yutes.” It just reaffirms what everyone thinks of the downlow... the retirement home of TXHSFB forums. It’s a good thing they all have such generous teachers pension plans... :taunt:

Tejastrue
01-14-2019, 07:19 PM
I'll steal a word from something Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recently said. Snowflakes! My comment said "always been." Come on Saggy, let's talk about shot taking. lol Salty, retirement home, that's funny. I have been on this site going on 9 years now. It has been a release for me. Greatly enjoy the football banter. The crazy road trip stories. The off the wall subjects. Even the sharing of heart felt struggles that life brings each and every day including death. Call this site what you want but there are good people here. Very good people. You don't get that at any other venue. So sorry they don't allow the smut driven trash talk of some other sites. Frankly, I can appreciate that.
Just a side note. I work for a school district. I have family in the teaching profession. I know a little bit about what it entails.

SaltySixes
01-15-2019, 03:27 PM
I'll steal a word from something Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recently said. Snowflakes! My comment said "always been." Come on Saggy, let's talk about shot taking. lol Salty, retirement home, that's funny. I have been on this site going on 9 years now. It has been a release for me. Greatly enjoy the football banter. The crazy road trip stories. The off the wall subjects. Even the sharing of heart felt struggles that life brings each and every day including death. Call this site what you want but there are good people here. Very good people. You don't get that at any other venue. So sorry they don't allow the smut driven trash talk of some other sites. Frankly, I can appreciate that.
Just a side note. I work for a school district. I have family in the teaching profession. I know a little bit about what it entails.

It's obvious that many of the people on this forum have some sort of connection to their school...hints the reason that so many very good people made snarky remarks. Anyway, "snowflakes," makes no sense. Explain what you think you know about two strangers that gave you that special insight haha...

Tejastrue
01-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Good lord. Look it up. People are looking for reasons to be offended. He called this the snowflake generation. Just thought it was fitting for the moment. Lol

SaltySixes
01-15-2019, 07:14 PM
Good lord. Look it up. People are looking for reasons to be offended. He called this the snowflake generation. Just thought it was fitting for the moment. Lol

Good lord... disagree with tejas=snowflake

You know every generation ever has said the same about the following one right? (I'm aware you will disagree with that, but it's a fact)

Tejastrue
01-15-2019, 08:09 PM
It was exactly my comment to start. What did we ever disagree about?

jason
02-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Stephenville just signed their new HC to a two year $105k per year deal.

https://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/20190225/doty-approved-as-shs-head-coach-signs-two-year-deal