View Full Version : Yoakum vs. Edna - R4 Finals

YTBulldogs
12-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Being reported

Bobcat Stadium, San Marcos
Friday, 7PM

YTBulldogs
12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Another physical RB the Dog's will have to endure in finals. Haynes, likely the best RB of all classifications in R4, and maybe state. He is going to get his, just hope 6's don't come with it. Wow, he is a beast. Haynes coming into the finals, with back to back 2,000 yard seasons.

OK Dogs---get ya some of that. Long has that slot-T hitting on all cylinders there in Edner. Bo knows football too. Gonna be good!!!!!

bluecat
12-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Another physical RB the Dog's will have to endure in finals. Haynes, likely the best RB of all classifications in R4, and maybe state. He is going to get his, just hope 6's don't come with it. Wow, he is a beast. Haynes coming into the finals, with back to back 2,000 yard seasons.

OK Dogs---get ya some of that. Long has that slot-T hitting on all cylinders there in Edner. Bo knows football too. Gonna be good!!!!!
To defend against the Slot Wing T offense you have to have disciplined defense. Bo will have the boys ready for the regional final.

YTBulldogs
12-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Game is now:

Saturday, 2PM
Jim Wacker Field at Bobcat Stadium, San Marcos

YTBulldogs
12-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Best team moves on. No excuses. Slobber knocker weather.

bluecat
12-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Best team moves on. No excuses. Slobber knocker weather.

The Dawgs are ready to win the region. Bo”s got them fired up to take on Edna again.

YTBulldogs
12-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Good season Edna. Nice win Dogs.

YTBulldogs
12-09-2018, 09:35 AM
BY DAVID VASQUEZ DVASQUEZ@VICAD.COM 6 min ago

SAN MARCOS – Yoakum beat Edna at its own game Saturday.

The Bulldogs piled up the yards and the points, picked up first downs, kept the clock rolling and kept the Cowboys (12-2) offense off the field as they rolled to a 42-6 victory in a Class 3A, Division I quarterfinal at Bobcat Stadium.

“We came out strong and played good defense. We kept the ball and beat them at their own game,” said Yoakum receiver Holden Lauer, who had three catches for 139 yards and two touchdowns. “They like controlling the ball. We held them to three-and-out, three-and-out, three-and-out and then we’d get the ball and go score. That’s what you have to do; you have to keep the ball away from them and keep it in our hands and try to score on every drive.”

Even when Edna (12-2) had the ball, the Yoakum defense shut the Cowboys down.

“We thought we had a good plan defensively,” said Yoakum coach Bo Robinson. “It was totally different from what we’ve done this year against slot-T teams. We kind of attacked where they hurt us the first time we played them. We actually had two different ways we were going to do it. We only had to do one. The kids came out here and executed.”

The Bulldogs rolled up 390 yards and 19 first downs, compared to 200 yards and seven first downs for Edna.

“They beat us at our own game,” said Edna coach Jerry Long. “They whupped our butts. You can’t sugar-coat it. They came ready to play. We didn’t play well offensively the first half. We really didn’t play well offensively the entire game. It’s a matter of the line of scrimmage. They dominated the line of scrimmage and we didn’t handle it well.”

After a defensive stalemate for much of the first quarter, Yoakum got on the board with a 48-yard scoring pass from Hagen Garvin to Lauer with 2:53 to go in the quarter.

“I thought we came out playing hard and this was one of the first games where I’ve seen us start off playing hard and play hard the entire game,” said Garvin, who completed 5 of 7 pass attempts for 169 yards and three touchdowns and added 52 yards and another score on the ground. “We practiced for this all week. We got excited for this and I thought we played real well.”

The Bulldogs scored again early in the second quarter on a 5-yard run by Deandre Johnson to grab a 14-0 advantage.

Edna answered with a 1-yard sneak for the score by quarterback Logan Long. The extra point attempt clanged off the left upright and the Cowboys would not score again.

Yoakum responded with an 11-run scoring run by Garvin to take a 21-6 lead into the break. The Bulldogs got the ball to start the second half and scored on a 7-yard run by Montreal Jones.

“We came in thinking we had to score every time we had the ball because we didn’t know how many times we’d get the ball,” Garvin said. “I felt like we did that. We kept the ball away from them and that helped us a lot.”

Yoakum recovered the ensuing kick and went down and scored again, this time on a 21-yard pass from Garvin to Mayson Arkadie, to essentially put the game away.

“We got a break. On that kickoff, we weren’t trying to onside kick it, (our kicker) just missed it and we were lucky enough to get on the ball,” Robinson said. “Having the ball for 10 minutes in the third quarter made a big difference. We had the momentum already. We were up 28-6 and then we get that and it’s 35-6. It was definitely a break.”

Garvin added his third touchdown pass of the game in the fourth quarter on a 44-yard strike to Lauer.

“At the beginning of the year, a lot of people said we were a one-round team, maybe two if we’re lucky,” Garvins said. “We come out and keep going. The next stop is the fifth round and hopefully (after that) the big game.”

The Bulldogs advance to the state semifinals, where they’ll face Grandview at a place, date and time to be determined.

“I didn’t expect this out of this bunch this year. We lost 26 seniors, nine starters on defense but we’re back in the semifinals again,” Robinson said. “These kids have been resilient all year. You get them down, and they come back and fight. Today was the most complete game that we’ve played.”

For the Cowboys its the end of a season in which they won a share of the district title and lost just two games.

“I’m super proud of these kids,” Long said. “They had a heck of a year. Lots to keep their heads up about. Lots of good memories. They’ll remember this the rest of their lives. It’s never fun when it ends. You put in a lot of work, a lot of time. It’s always gonna end badly unless you win it all. We wish Yoakum good luck. They have a good football team. I hope they go win the whole thing.”