PDA

View Full Version : Are Maxpreps Stats Reliable?

movethechain
11-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Studying up on stats for Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove and notice that Maxpreps.com shows a new coach for Gilmer. Are they premature, incorrect or just incompetent. :confused:

lostaussie
11-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Studying up on stats for Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove and notice that Maxpreps.com shows a new coach for Gilmer. Are they premature, incorrect or just incompetent. :confused:

D All of the above

RkptFltn
11-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Anytime I’m talking hsfb with someone and they say “maxpreps” I start laughing and walk away.

waterboy
11-28-2018, 11:42 AM
D All of the above

Exactly.

Saggy Aggie
11-28-2018, 12:14 PM
About the only thing I use maxpreps for is schedules and scores. Pretty quick to navigate and fairly reliable. I wouldn’t use it for stats but then again I’m not sure what a good source would be?

waterboy
11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
About the only thing I use maxpreps for is schedules and scores. Pretty quick to navigate and fairly reliable. I wouldn’t use it for stats but then again I’m not sure what a good source would be?

Agreed. I don't think they get emails from the coaches or statisticians that attend the games, so accuracy is not going to be there. Very few news sources do full statistics any more.

LHPfactory
11-28-2018, 02:52 PM
I look at it for all the above with the understanding there is some incompleteness with some teams from time to time. The scores and schedules I have found to be reliable but the box score is inconsistent for some games and spot on for others. Its the only national source for statistics that I know of other than NHS Records involving HS Football. That being said Liberty Hill is currently listed as the number 1 rushing offense in the entire nation for all classifications public and private, ins spite of having played 1 to 3 games less than all others in the top 10. I choose to believe that this stat is spot on, lol.

Slyone
11-28-2018, 04:54 PM
It is up to the coaches of the particular school to keep the stats up to date and accurate. Some are better than others

FB-fanatic
11-28-2018, 06:12 PM
It is up to the coaches of the particular school to keep the stats up to date and accurate. Some are better than others

This was going to be my answer. Max Preps is not out scouring the internet for a million teams stats. They allow a portal for coaches to enter. I know Lorena's, in year's past, were very accurate. Tackle counts.... now that's a whole 'nother ballgame across the board:)

About their rankings (insert snarky remarks here) - the later in the season, the more accurate they are (in my opinion). They use some of that really high folutin' math:) It doesn't take into account an injured player returning, or a teams history in the playoffs, but purely point spreads, scores, common opponents. That is what I like about it - takes the homer opinions out.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/X4MCEfnBEeC-rAAmVebEWg/how-the-maxpreps-rankings-work.htm

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2018, 03:21 PM
As far as I know, Mark Skinner of the Buckeye broadcast crew is keeping the stats for the coaches this season.

MaxPreps has always respected Gilmer highly in terms of rankings this year. Even when we lost our final three games we were still solidly in the Top 20 statewide of 4A DII.

As of now, MaxPreps rankings from 1 to 7 are as follows: Pleasant Grove, Lorena, Glen Rose, Pittsburg, Jasper, Cuero, Gilmer.

regaleagle
11-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Actually......the team stats are reported to MaxPreps by the team.....correct or incorrect. MaxPreps only prints what has been turned in to them by an official coach or scorer for the team.....or they won't have any team stats at all if none are turned in. If the team turns in some games but not others.....the stats listed reflect what has been turned in.

speedbump
11-29-2018, 05:40 PM
As far as I know, Mark Skinner of the Buckeye broadcast crew is keeping the stats for the coaches this season.

MaxPreps has always respected Gilmer highly in terms of rankings this year. Even when we lost our final three games we were still solidly in the Top 20 statewide of 4A DII.

As of now, MaxPreps rankings from 1 to 7 are as follows: Pleasant Grove, Lorena, Glen Rose, Pittsburg, Jasper, Cuero, Gilmer.

Now I remember why I haven't looked at their rankings in 3 or 4 years.