PDA

View Full Version : Throwing games to manipulate playoff matchups

jason
11-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Happened in 6a tonight.
Temple was in regardless.
If they beat Copperas Cove, they play @ Longview.
They came out second half and sat starters and with a few minutes left, cove took a knee and temple had 3 timeouts but didn't use them.

Temple avoids Longview and gets 2-7 Mesquite Horn at home. Cove gets Longview and Killeen is out.

Temple fans not too happy on the FSSW app.

LH Panther Mom
11-09-2018, 11:41 PM
I remember that happening in 3A several years ago. Robinson got us because of the other team.

FB-fanatic
11-09-2018, 11:46 PM
I remember that happening in 3A several years ago. Robinson got us because of the other team.

Robinson was out because LaVega wanted to play Div II brackets and sat starters the 2nd half. Play out the year and win so you do not have to depend on someone else's games:)

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Robinson was out because LaVega wanted to play Div II brackets and sat starters the 2nd half. Play out the year and win so you do not have to depend on someone else's games:)

LOL! I wasn't going there, but not my idea of best coaching. You always play to win!

BwdLion73
11-10-2018, 02:19 PM
We did that last night so we could get Kennedale.

:blush:

jason
11-10-2018, 05:45 PM
We did that last night so we could get Kennedale.

:blush:
That made me lol

Our district shouldn't have any trouble the first round.

bleedgreen
11-12-2018, 08:27 AM
That made me lol

Our district shouldn't have any trouble the first round.

If all Brownwood does is throw the ball.....they are in deep trouble.

Aesculus gilmus
11-12-2018, 08:33 AM
La Vega deliberately lost to Lorena in the final regular season game of 2008 so it could go into Division I and not have to play Gilmer in Area.

That would never happen now. There is no reason not to play Gilmer anymore. Most are looking forward to it these days. The dynasty is finally over.

waterboy
11-12-2018, 09:04 AM
La Vega deliberately lost to Lorena in the final regular season game of 2008 so it could go into Division I and not have to play Gilmer in Area.

That would never happen now. There is no reason not to play Gilmer anymore. Most are looking forward to it these days. The dynasty is finally over.

And it is NOT due to the talent well running dry. Everybody has opinions about what happened and how to fix it. A quarter century of good football burning down in one season...SMH

slingshot
11-12-2018, 12:11 PM
And it is NOT due to the talent well running dry. Everybody has opinions about what happened and how to fix it. A quarter century of good football burning down in one season...SMH
Believe me... Wylie understands this perfectly. :vrycnfsd:

jason
11-12-2018, 12:18 PM
If all Brownwood does is throw the ball.....they are in deep trouble.
they had zero run game vs stephenville

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2018, 12:25 PM
LOL! I wasn't going there, but not my idea of best coaching. You always play to win!

Why is it not good coaching? You are trying to put your team in the best position possible.

ctown81
11-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Why is it not good coaching? You are trying to put your team in the best position possible.

I've never understood why that's looked down upon myself.

rb585
11-13-2018, 11:55 AM
There is nothing wrong with pulling your starters early in a meaningless game the week before the playoffs.

Multiple teams do it every season.

The Temple coach also said that he wasn't going to do it, but then three starters got hurt in the first 30 minutes of the game.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2018, 09:20 PM

It was actually because they would've had us the first round.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2018, 09:23 PM

If it's strategy, that's one thing. But if you tell your players before the game that winning is not a good plan, what does that say about your character? And what are telling the kids and staff?

Txbroadcaster
11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
If it's strategy, that's one thing. But if you tell your players before the game that winning is not a good plan, what does that say about your character? And what are telling the kids and staff?

What does character have to do with it? Coaches are going to prepare to play a game. I doubt he tells a team do not try but also his job is to put them in the best position to achieve their goals. IMO great teaching point about losing the battle can sometimes help you win the war.

Saggy Aggie
11-14-2018, 03:11 PM
What does character have to do with it? Coaches are going to prepare to play a game. I doubt he tells a team do not try but also his job is to put them in the best position to achieve their goals. IMO great teaching point about losing the battle can sometimes help you win the war.

Yeah, I don’t think you lose intentionally, but if you want to sit starters and play conservatively in what amounts to a meaningless game, then go for it. The kids you put on the field do their best to win the game but the outcome is what it is.

rb585
11-14-2018, 11:10 PM

No one did that, and we literally don't know of anyone who has ever done that, so I don't understand why you'd bring it up.

Here's what happened:

In a game Copperas Cove had to win to reach the D-II playoffs, Temple led 12-0 at halftime and 18-7 into the fourth quarter at chilly Bulldawg Stadium. After Stewart watched star junior receiver Quentin Johnston and starting cornerbacks Markel Reed and Roman Jackson leave with knee injuries, he decided that health needed to become the Wildcats’ primary focus.

“We came out here to execute. I do care what people think about me, but I have to make decisions for this team and I’m going to stand by those decisions,” Stewart said. “Our objectives were to eliminate mistakes and to stay healthy. After our second kid thought he was going to get put on crutches, I wasn’t interested in seeing more of that. If we lose many more guys, it doesn’t matter who we match up with. It was diminishing returns.

“We did not throw this game. Their 1s were better than our 2s (during the final quarter-plus). Hat’s off to Cove. They executed their plan and got after it."

WOS87
11-15-2018, 12:47 AM
Perfect example why 6A needs to divide into Division 1 and 2 as districts. This has been a problem since 1990 when they first made Big school and Small school. Why not just drop the pretense and make it 1A to 12A... that's essentially what it is already. The 6A today is pretty much what the old old City Conferences were from 1948-1950 when inner city Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Fort Worth schools competed for the largest classification state championships, except now it would be Greater Houston, Metromess, Greater San Antonio and Greater Austin as 6A D1.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2018, 09:06 AM
No one did that, and we literally don't know of anyone who has ever done that, so I don't understand why you'd bring it up.

Here's what happened:

I wasn't talking about Cove.