PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel

Big Tarp 74
07-22-2002, 06:18 PM
I have noticed that most messages about Port Isabel is causing some confusion. Port Isabel has speed and size. They front line avg. around 285. I belive they are heavy up front. They just had some transfers. One of which is a 6'-2" 235 running back. A very large line. 2 other transfers are 6'-5 280 pound linemen. This team has been to the playoffs 25 times. They have beaten some of the best teams in texas. I beleive David Cambell must have seen something. They have good speed. What they may be lacking is a good quarterback. But other wise, they are big and very hard hitting. This team will be much bigger than last year, as well as even faster. I beleive they will win district. They did last year. What people did not know is they were bit up by brown relcuse spiders suffered a bad bridge accident. This cost them several players. I will not go into the transfers, but they are top notch in class 4A. Port Isabel ranks ninth in the number of times making it to the playoffs. Just check! They are tied with Atlanta, Columbus, and Daingerfield. This teams has had 2 state semi-finals, 5 state quarter finals, and numerous other playoff experence. The only thing hurrting Port Isabel is Port Isabel. They have a good following, one of the largest in all class 3A. Teams playing them know what I mean. Rio Hondo is good, but will have trouble with Port Isabel, and now with transfers they will have a bigger problem.
I have seen year after year them being rate low, but year after year they keep proving people wrong. What is going to take for them to get the respect they deserve. In 1981 they were rated behind the number one team like number 8 then they just beat the living daylights out of the number one team.
It is sad, the kids always are asking why they are judge so hard. We never have an answer except prove them wrong.

sinton66
07-22-2002, 08:18 PM
The answer that you mentioned is the best one you could give them, because that is EXACTLY what it will take. The kids themselves have to decide they've had a belly full of it, and step up and prove themselves. South Texas has not had a state champion since Refugio back in 82 or 83. RGV hasn't had one since Donna back in the 60's. One of us (south Texas teams) will have to win it all. I know exactly where you're coming from. All South Texas is a little touchy on this subject. I will tell you this, EVERYBODY on this board believes that Port Isabel is the class of the RGV, and if anybody from the RGV is going to win it all, it will be Port Isabel. I suppose until you do, that's the most any of us can expect. Best of luck to you!

footballgal
07-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Welcome Big Tarp 74!
I know who you are just by all the Tarpon Football knowledge you have! Now, this guy is a walking Tarpon football encyclopedia, again Welcome Big Tarp 74, and Oh yeah I am back… hurting right now but I am back, and really enjoyed reading all the new post since a week ago!

sinton66
07-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm glad you didn't get "run" off. Welcome back!!

SintonFan
07-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Hope you get well!

Chris Hart
07-23-2002, 11:35 PM
Footballgal, I hope your recovery is speedy.Welcome back!

footballgal
07-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks all for your kind words; it's truly appreciated! I try to stay on the computer as much as I can stand it even though right now it's not very long that I can. Even though today I am really pushing it as I wanted to read all of the post I missed or re-read some of them.

Oh and no I wasn't “run” off Sinton 66, even though at one time I felt I was but that's history. I can't believe it's now down to 37 days left for football season to begin and makes me feel better just thinking about it! "I am so exited and I just can't hide it...."

sinton66
07-24-2002, 09:56 PM
footballgal, I also wish you a speedy recovery. As I and other Sinton people told you the first time I read a post from you, it can get pretty spirited on here, but I'm sure no one means any harm. I was just glad to see you stuck around.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Welcome Big Tarp!!! And Football gal....get well soon.

I'm going to be down in P.I. for the annual bazaar, see y'all there!

Big Tarp 74
07-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Tarpon Fan In North Texas, hope to see ya at the barzar. Looking foward to talking about this years Tarpon team. They look like they might have a good team. I understand they have been working out on their own. We have more speed, than last year. What does cause me some consern is the quarterback area. But in 7 on 7 Port Isable finished second behind EE. Both EE and PI beat 5A, & 4A teams. According to Harlingen South, The PI receivers are blazing fast, they were unable to catch Ishmial. They say he was some 25 yard behind them. He won the state in class 3A in the 400 meters. As for the defense, well the year ending on a bad note with Coach V passing a way. This will make PI very aggresive. The kids took it hard, I have never in my life time see a body on public display at the school. This was just how much they loved him. He will be missed!!
Who ever take the job of replacing coach V is going to have to work hard to win these PI fans over.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
Tarpon Fan In North Texas, hope to see ya at the barzar. Looking foward to talking about this years Tarpon team. They look like they might have a good team. I understand they have been working out on their own. We have more speed, than last year. What does cause me some consern is the quarterback area. But in 7 on 7 Port Isable finished second behind EE. Both EE and PI beat 5A, & 4A teams. According to Harlingen South, The PI receivers are blazing fast, they were unable to catch Ishmial. They say he was some 25 yard behind them. He won the state in class 3A in the 400 meters. As for the defense, well the year ending on a bad note with Coach V passing a way. This will make PI very aggresive. The kids took it hard, I have never in my life time see a body on public display at the school. This was just how much they loved him. He will be missed!!
Who ever take the job of replacing coach V is going to have to work hard to win these PI fans over.

Well, hopefully in a couple of years, Coach V's son Gabe will take over. I got to hang out with Gabe a lot during the time of his funeral, and we both talked about a lot of things, especially coaching since we are both getting into coaching. Gabe really wants to coach at P.I. He and I will be graduating at the same time. Gabe his masters degree, and I my bachelor's degree. Hopefully he and I will both start at P.I. but i'm not holding my breath. I'll more than likely end up working with Coach Tony in Brownsville first, gain some experience and learn his offensive system before going back to P.I. At least that's what my plan is.

If you see me at the bazaar, be sure to say hi, ok?

The SeaWall will rise again.......