PDA

View Full Version : Does 3 teams per District and 2 Divisions water down the playoffs?

San Antonio HS FB Fan
11-10-2001, 01:58 PM
Congrats to all teams that made the playoffs. I know everyone worked extra hard, but I feel that 2 divisions waters down the playoffs. It is possible that a team that wins a Div II championship could be larger than the team that wins the Div I championship. What do you all think about it?

vfunk
11-10-2001, 02:29 PM
i think that 2 divisions does water it down...if there was a game between the 2 division champs itd be ok...but there isnt...there was nothing wrong with the old system.

dogdad
11-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Div 2 schools can be larger than Div 1 schools...happens all the time, and I agree VFunk, nothing wrong with the old system. There are districts that have 4 schools deserving of play-offs while other dist. may have only 1 or 2 so the debate will always be there.

TheNewtonBoy
11-10-2001, 04:28 PM
I think there should be a cutoff for d1 and d2 like 595 that seperates d1 and d2. But it might cause problems with schools that don't have a big school in there district or doesn't have a small school in there district.

San Antonio HS FB Fan
11-10-2001, 05:13 PM
I totally agree with the old system as well. If that a district had 2 of the best teams in the state, they could meet up a second time. I do understand the economics of it, but I think that teams that might have a losing record could get into the playoffs. this leads to some real blowouts in the 1st round.

sinfan75
11-10-2001, 06:14 PM
two teams per district and cut out this two division junk!One state champion per class.

Old Cardinal
11-10-2001, 07:44 PM
I agree with SinFan 75; however the UIL is a little greety-they get part of the gate so they favor more playoff games, or so I've been told.

San Antonio HS FB Fan
11-11-2001, 09:04 AM
I agree that there should only be 1 division, however, if the UIL needs more playoff games, don't you all think they could still find a way to have only 1 3A champ?

Alvaradobacker
11-11-2001, 09:52 AM
This two-tiered crap is a joke! I miss the good old days where, when the season was over, you knew for sure who the best team in your classification was. The system we have now is all about the money. More gate, more concessions, more trophies, more rings...what a crock!

Da Mules
11-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Get off it, guys. If you hard=noses had your way, only 1 team per district would make the playoffs, period! I like Texas HS football--I love having a jillion games to go to! And I would like to see a Governor's Cup to satisfy you die-hards that got to have the big enchilada!! HEll, let's go all-out and put all of the different class champions in a playoff to find out who is the SINGLE best football team in Texas. Stratford vs Celina!! Midland Lee vs Gatesville! Would that make (finally) you happy!!

davidalex
11-11-2001, 09:40 PM
Having two divsions does water it down but it is needed in some cases. One good thing that I can think of it, is that you don't have big schools (like in 5A) winning all the time cuz of their size. You have schools in Midland and Plano with 3,500 plus students,and when the playoffs come about they are facing some schools that have only 1,800 or 2,000 students. What is the fairness in that? In 3A, I think it needed for the same reason. It all in the matter of fairness in the minds of the UIL. I know only one that is defending the 2 division format...lol

CHS_DT38
11-11-2001, 11:00 PM
I think 3 teams in the playoffs per district
is a good thing especially if you have 3 great teams in oe district for example (8-4)

San Antonio HS FB Fan
11-12-2001, 09:09 PM
I agree that the size difference between some 5A teams is outrageous, but perhaps a 6A classification should be looked at. As for 3A, maybe there are 3 good teams in the same district, but if that is the case, then the best two should still be the only playoff teams with the district games being playoff type games. It makes for an awesome district season.

Jacket2000
11-13-2001, 09:43 AM
There are too many teams in each class to have 2 playoff teams in a district. But, what's wrong with making more classifications? ie 6A, 7A, 8A, etc...
That way, we can have two teams per district, one champion per class; the UIL and the ring companies can get their money, and we can still have trouble every week deciding which game to go watch. Sounds like a helluva plan to me.
J2K
"If at first you dont succeed, then sky diving's probably not for you."

footballer2
11-13-2001, 11:47 AM
I AGREE W/DA MULES. I LIKE THIS CURRENT SYSTEM BECAUSE IT ALLOWS MORE TEAMS TO PARTICIPATE. MORE TEAMS PARTICIPATE-MORE ATHLETES INVOLVED (REMEMBER THIS IS FOR THEM,NOT FOR US). IT ALSO MEANS MORE GREAT GAMES TO WATCH FOR THE FOOTBALLER. THERE USED TO BE BLOW OUTS IN THE OLD SYSTEM. THE DIFFERENCE IN SCHOOL SIZES IN THE SAME DISTRICT IS EXACTLY WHY THIS SYSTEM WAS INITIATED. I THINK ITS GREAT-MORE PARTICIPATION -MORE GAMES TO WATCH- MORE SCHOOLS APPROXIMATELY THE SAME SIZE COMPETING AGAINST ONE ANOTHER. (I KNOW THIS DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN,BUT IN MOST CASES IT DOES.-NO SYSTEM IS PERFECT-THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.)

San Antonio HS FB Fan
11-13-2001, 06:52 PM
I like the idea of extending to more classifications ie 6A, 7A etc. I do not see how having three teams in the playoffs is going to prevent blowouts. An extremely weak team could be in Div I with a losing record playing a 10-0 team. It may not have happened this year, but it is possible. Now if Div I only had the top teams in each district rather than the largest team in the district, then that might work, and that team would be considered the true state champ.

ProudMama
11-14-2001, 10:19 PM
I have to agree with footballer2. This is about the kids and gives more of them an opportunity to shine. Maybe, just maybe, someone will see them and give them the chance to go a little further, like the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!

toby070
11-15-2001, 12:11 AM
I don't mind seeing three teams go to the playoffs, or having D1 and D2 brackets, but putting three teams in does leave open the potential for some pretty ugly mismatches (Llano vs LaGrange comes to mind).

It couldn't have been much fun for overmatched third place teams to get beat 80-0 by Sealy in first round games back in the day.....

Matthew328
11-15-2001, 01:44 AM
Well I like having more teams involved and yadda yadda this and that..but 2 champs per class is ridiculous! I say either do it like the other sports and have 3 teams make it and reward the district champ by giving them a first round bye! Or have a Class 6A and make it 2 teams in the playoffs once again..but the current system needs to be fixed!