PDA

View Full Version : Week 3: Newton (2-0) at West Orange-Stark (1-1)

WOS87
09-08-2018, 07:54 PM
West Orange-Stark has only lost to Newton once ever and that was a 7-19 shocker in 2014 when both teams made it to the State Finals and both lost. This will be the first time the two have met where Newton should be the favorite. WO-S bounced back from a 1 point loss to 5A Nederland by shutting out crosstown rival Little Cypress-Mauriceville 47-0 notching 518 yards in the process and holding LC-M to less than 100. Newton beat a highly touted Silsbee handily 56-14 and remains the #1 team in the state in 3A. The only real advantages the Mustangs have is that they're playing at home, have almost twice the enrollment of Newton and historically have never had a problem with the Eagles except for 2014. WO-S is a very young team with Sophomore and Junior QBs that have each played portions of the first two games. Newton has a majority of their starters back from their 2017 State Championship team.

WOS1
09-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Hoping the Mustangs make a game of it. Looks like the Soph has won the QB job based on the Jr's performace against Nederland and the Soph's 9-11 196 3 TD's and 1 INT against LCM. It's hard to be real confident because LCM is not very good, but you can only hope to do what we did against sub par teams. Newton is loaded... we'll know where we are, for sure, after this one.

Pudlugger
09-09-2018, 08:00 PM
IDK WOS seems to find a way to win. they may have to develop the talent earlier than usual but they will become
winners sooner rather than later. I predict a close low scoring game with WOS coming out on top. Say 17-14 or so.

GUNHO
09-10-2018, 07:54 AM
We are not reloading this year...we are rebuilding.Newton is the favorite in this one and should be.Will be a good gauge for WOS where they are right now and that is what I'll be looking at.

jason
09-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Pigskin Prep has this game as a pick'em

waterboy
09-10-2018, 09:42 AM
This is a tough game to pick. Newton is loaded this year, and WO-S is retooling. It "might" be the perfect storm for Newton to get a W. I have a hard time picking them, though.

d0tc0m
09-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Man, on paper, I think Newton wins this one big. But WOS just doesn't lose big very often, even when they are — on the rare occasion — outmatched. I think they're definitely outmatched in this one, at almost every position. But the Mustangs are so dang tough, mentally, that they don't buy into all the noise and hype of any matchup. Because they're so well-coached, and because they aren't lacking on talent, I think WOS manages to keep this one within two scores ... but just barely. I like Newton to control this one from the outset. And I think the Eagles knock off another 4A Div. II opponent in week 5, too. I'm not convinced Newton wouldn't be ranked No. 1 or 2 in 4A Div. II this year.

AggiesAreWe
09-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Newton

26-12

buff4ever
09-13-2018, 10:51 AM
I have to admit, I voted for WOS on this poll, but I picked Newton in the pickem. It was very hard for me to pick against WOS, but I am not sure yet that they are back to their normal and Newton is looking legit again.