PDA

View Full Version : La Vernia at La Grange

Pudlugger
09-08-2018, 10:31 AM
The Leopards host the Bears Friday. The Bears are coming off two solid wins over Sinton and McCollum while the Leps extend their record to 2-0 over Fulshear and Columbus. LV will be the favorite in this game but the Leps have loads of talent and are learning how to win after a disappointing season in 2017. Our big OL really took charge of the LOS last night. If they will stop all the false starts they will be the cornerstone of the Leopard offense. LG has a sophomore running back who looks to be a real threat in the Lep ground attack in D.J. Taylor #33.

bag-o-chips
09-08-2018, 02:30 PM
LV by 21

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2018, 07:09 PM
LV focus!

1st and goal
09-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Pud, you forgot to put the poll in place in your hurry...

Pudlugger
09-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Pud, you forgot to put the poll in place in your hurry...

yeah, bummer

1st and goal
09-09-2018, 09:07 AM
This has the makings of being a really good game.

Pudlugger
09-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Aside from turnovers and penalties this game will be decided by whichever team has the best defense. The Leps defend the running game pretty well but need to tighten up on pass defense. LV has a real good Qb and several talented receivers so this will be a big challenge. Meanwhile LV will need to stop the Lep's running game which is quite stout. So far the Lep's look uncomfortable in passing the football. Will this improve by Friday? I hope so. They need to work on the short passes over the middle to keep the Lbs home. Yes it should be a good game that will tell a lot about who's team is legit and who is still striving for that moniker.

LV_Bearfan
09-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Bears bring a true balanced attack. LG defense will be tested by the passing game.

regaleagle
09-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Should be a great game scheduled for both teams in predistrict to move the players and coaches along in the development stage of this season. Looks like La Grange has come out strong this year and has the makings of a very successful season. We all kinda knew La Vernia would be good this year. It's the battle of the "La's"......LOL. Just be happy it's not with the other La team......La Vega.

I don't think there are any other classifications with 3 La schools.....maybe not even 2 La schools.

Pudlugger
09-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Bears bring a true balanced attack. LG defense will be tested by the passing game.

Yes the passing game will be the big challenge for the Leopard D. Our D line will need to put pressure on the Qb and the defensive backs must not allow so much separation from the receivers. Against Columbus on several plays these were problems for the defense. I'm confident the coaches will work on this during practice thus week.

d0tc0m
09-10-2018, 10:12 AM
I like this matchup. I think it will benefit both teams. At this point of the season, though, I think La Vernia is a little further along than La Grange, so I'll go with the Bears. I saw where La Vernia is in the top 10 of DCTF's 4A Div. I rankings.

Pudlugger
09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
One area where LG excels would be the special teams. LG has had KO returns for tds in both games including one for 99 yards. The Leps kicker Alan Orona, arguably one of the best in our division, routinely kicks the ball through the endzone on kickoffs and has not missed an extra point in 9 attempts and I can't remember him missing any last year. Our punt returns are looking very good as well. On defense our KO and punt coverage is very stingy. I imagine LV also has good special team play. I think this is one area in the game that is underappreciated.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
I wish I could be there for this one. Would love to make that drive home from La Grange with a W this time. The last time in LG, we got to see the JK Dobbins show and a good game despite the loss. Planning for a better result after finally breaking through with a W last season. I still have memories of the one point loss in the playoffs when LG went on to win state and the subsequent blowout loss the following season. It’s time to start evening this series up a bit.

Pudlugger
09-11-2018, 11:23 AM
I remember those games too LV Bear fan. In the 2000 game it was touch and go until Tye Gunn took a knee on the 1 yard line to run out the clock for a 28-27 win. Coach didn't want to score with a minute left as the Bears seemed to have an unstoppable passing game so he just ran down the clock instead of scoring and having to give the ball back to LV. In the following year 2001 my son played in the OL. It was in the Alamo Dome.
That year we played Yoakum, Mathis, LV, Wimberley, Marlin and lost to Commerce 14-11 in the Final.
LV is the favorite in this game. The Leps will need to step it up a notch or two and get some breaks to win. Home field advantage is one thing in our favor. Playing on natural grass is another. It will be a great game either way.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2018, 12:04 PM
I remember those games too LV Bear fan. In the 2000 game it was touch and go until Tye Gunn took a knee on the 1 yard line to run out the clock for a 28-27 win. Coach didn't want to score with a minute left as the Bears seemed to have an unstoppable passing game so he just ran down the clock instead of scoring and having to give the ball back to LV. In the following year 2001 my son played in the OL. It was in the Alamo Dome.
That year we played Yoakum, Mathis, LV, Wimberley, Marlin and lost to Commerce 14-11 in the Final.
LV is the favorite in this game. The Leps will need to step it up a notch or two and get some breaks to win. Home field advantage is one thing in our favor. Playing on natural grass is another. It will be a great game either way.
In that one point loss, our glue, our starting rb, broke his collar bone late in second quarter, and our depth behind him was just not the same. The second half was a puntfest for LV, but the D hung tough. We were left to ponder what could have been. In hindsight, the Bears played above expectations considering the ultimate metal of the opponent. I enjoyed watching Gunn run the option. That was special and excruciating to defend.

Pudlugger
09-11-2018, 01:01 PM
I didn't know LV lost their Qb in the 2nd half. I do remember we got flagged 2 or 3 times for pass interference though and
it seemed we were having problems stopping the Bear offense in the 4th quarter. Coach Valastro went into a clock management mode to run it down and keep the ball. LV was the toughest opponent in that run including Marlin and Commerce. We fumbled the Final away losing to Commerce 14-11. We had 17 1st downs to 4 but fumbled 4 or 5 times while Commerce made every play needed to stop us and get the win. Their defense was excellent but overall the Bears were better.

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Anyone who attended this game care to share perspective on how this game went?

buff4ever
09-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Anyone who attended this game care to share perspective on how this game went?

I would hope with a post like that, that you didn't attend the game. If you did, pathetic post. If you didn't, acceptable.

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2018, 11:33 AM
I did not attend. Just curious about details. I live in another state.

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2018, 11:41 AM
This is the only LV game that anyone on here has cared to comment on, so I thought I might get some info.

buff4ever
09-15-2018, 12:39 PM
This is the only LV game that anyone on here has cared to comment on, so I thought I might get some info.

I haven't heard much about it, but can tell you the outcome didn't surprise me.

Pudlugger
09-15-2018, 01:16 PM
I did not attend. Just curious about details. I live in another state.

La Vernia was bigger faster and better coached. LG still has a ways to go before they can compete at this level. LV will go deep in the playoffs if last night was any indication of their talent. The Bears have a very sound running game and can burn you on the long pass. Their defense is outstanding going to the ball and breaking up the plays in the back field. The outside lLB and DEs made many key plays turning the sweeps in and stuffing the running backs. The Leps were never really close in this game. Good luck the rest of the way.

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks Pud. Good luck to a young Lep team. It’s a long season. Sounds like you guys are on the right track forward.