PDA

View Full Version : La Vega Pirates @ Argyle Eagles: 7:30 pm Friday

regaleagle
09-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Looks like another battle between two Top 5 teams in 4A this week in Argyle. A 30-game home win streak is now on the line for the Eagles in this one. Not sure how each team will perform this week after an opening win for each team last week. What did each team learn from last week and what improvements have been made by the coaching staffs and players??? That's typically what happens to most teams this time of the year early in the schedule.....improvements from one week to another. Looks like La Vega likes to run the ball.....they rushed for 500+ yds. last week.....but threw for less than 100. BUT.......why throw much if you don't need to, Huh? I'm fairly certain they will throw it more against Argyle this week.

regaleagle
09-04-2018, 06:22 PM
La Vega has a really good running back in Richards.....he's a senior this season and a seasoned RB for them. He's got speed, moves, and very good vision. He's also got that experience you can't teach......he looks very comfortable in heavy traffic. They have #12 Tyler at wideout that's very dangerous in the open field too.....he's also a senior this year. They like to throw it very quickly to him and let him do his thing one on one in the secondary.....quick-hitter short passes right after the snap. Sometimes they will send him long and sometimes on slants too. I noticed they have a little scatback that's very quick and speedy they like to use between the tackles to hide behind the big boys and then slip thru the seams with his speed and agility. And then sometimes the qb will keep it, usually around end. Defense looks strong too.....but it will be better playing this team early than later this season. Looks like they still have lots of room for improvement on both sides of the ball. Lots of speed and talented players with 5/6 back from last season.

Bosqueville
09-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Heard La Vega played very uninspired football Friday night. I believe that this years LV program is less talented than the last 3 years. Still very dangerous if they get in the LV groove.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm sure they will find some inspiration this week when they come to Argyle to play the Eagles, LOL. There will be lots of attention directed toward this game, so I cannot fathom anything other than their full intensity being exerted to win this game. I've seen the talent from last year's videos and a replay of the Carthage semifinal at the Star. Sure.....they lost a few on offense......namely Williams their outstanding qb and a couple of linemen and one rb. But what remains is their star rb and star receiver, plus most of the defense and some key other players on the line and in the secondary. And speed......at all the skill positions alot of speed. Argyle lost its star qb too last season late in district play.....but we did ok with the next man up. La Vega will be very competitive again this season......just like Argyle.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Besides.....when a team puts up 500+ yds rushing the previous week against a decent 5A team......I don't call that "uninspired". And I don't think the Argyle coaches do either. Any team that can put up those kind of numbers rushing the football in Week 1 should be a pretty darn good football team.....doncha think???

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 09:50 AM
La Vega may not be as balanced as Argyle or Stephenville on offense this season, but who needs balance with a rushing attack like that, Huh? And that's where they have tons of room for improvement.....becoming more balanced on offense. Hence my conclusion that it's better to play this team early instead of later in the season. Good luck to Stephenville and the rest of the opponents of La Vega in their district later in the season.....that's all I gotta say to that.

And we haven't even seen them play Argyle yet.....

jason
09-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Wish this one was a tad closer. Thinking I may wander out to Midlothian for Heritage vs Kennedale.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Wish this one was a tad closer. Thinking I may wander out to Midlothian for Heritage vs Kennedale.

A tad closer??? How much is that? And which way is the tad going in your opinion, Jason.....Argyle's or LV's? Just curious.....

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 10:10 AM
But I do agree the Heritage vs Kennedale game this week should be another great game in 4A D-1 to see. I'm leaning toward Heritage in this one, even though Kennedale destroyed their opponent last week and Heritage didn't.

jason
09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
A tad closer??? How much is that? And which way is the tad going in your opinion, Jason.....Argyle's or LV's? Just curious.....
It took about 2:15 to get to argyle last Friday. Map says Midlothian is about 1:25 and we get Heritage at home in a few weeks. If I hadn't already seen Argyle then I would consider it. First world problems when you have to decide which top 10 matchup you want to go see.

Hell - my wife may say we're going to Stephenville/Everman.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Kennedale had 479 rushing and 103 passing vs Decatur last week......maybe they should be playing La Vega, Huh? Heritage had a balanced attack last week against Gatesville in their win.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 10:33 AM
It took about 2:15 to get to argyle last Friday. Map says Midlothian is about 1:25 and we get Heritage at home in a few weeks. If I hadn't already seen Argyle then I would consider it. First world problems when you have to decide which top 10 matchup you want to go see.

Hell - my wife may say we're going to Stephenville/Everman.

Okay......you were speaking in terms of distance, not score......gotcha. Heck, I just naturally assumed you would be going to the Stephenville game this week.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
With the way 4A D-1 appears to be shaping up this year......no telling what might be happening by Week 6 this season. Looks like lots of very good teams playing each other all over the state. Some of these teams may not be district champ favorites, but could be very good come playoff time.......and could play upset roles very easily.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Getting back to this game.....IF Argyle were to win this game decisively against La Vega this week and showed lots of improvement in all areas......Look out!!! I think this team has quite a bit of potential......barring any season-ending injuries to key players. Argyle also appears to have great depth this season, so that's always a big plus at this level. I'm very excited to see how they will do against a very talented group that La Vega will represent in Class 4A D-1. This game should be very close, IMO......IF Argyle can shut down that running attack of the Pirates.....at least halfway, LOL.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
On the other hand.....IF La Vega wins decisively it will most probably expose some areas Argyle needs some work to shore up before district play begins. Either way.....this is a great game at this time of the season for Argyle to have scheduled for the team. A great move by both coaching staffs, IMO. Both teams are in a district that will be highly competitive and have at least 3 teams in contention for winning the district and a deep playoff run.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Listen to this one.....a poster from La Vega well acquainted with the team says that Richards didn't even play last week.....a sophomore started and they had 3 rb's last week gain over a hundred yards each......just to let you know. Sounds to me like they have plenty of depth at the skill positions too. He also stated the longest run was about 60 yds.....but lots of 20-30 yd runs. I think he's mixed up......lots of 60 yd runs, LOL. But maybe not......we will see this week. I'm gonna guess Richards will be playing this week also.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 11:44 AM
He also says they pass it more than the stats showed.....enough to keep the defense honest and guessing. Sounds to me like the Argyle coaches will have their hands full this week in preparing the team for this offensive attack.

ctown81
09-05-2018, 12:10 PM
On the other hand.....IF La Vega wins decisively it will most probably expose some areas Argyle needs some work to shore up before district play begins. Either way.....this is a great game at this time of the season for Argyle to have scheduled for the team. A great move by both coaching staffs, IMO. Both teams are in a district that will be highly competitive and have at least 3 teams in contention for winning the district and a deep playoff run.

If one of these teams win state, I think this game will be looked back on as a big factor in preparation. Both teams will definitely be better after this game which is pretty concerning as a Carthage fan. Wish they played saturday so i could go see it.

d0tc0m
09-05-2018, 12:58 PM
La Vega is a good team, and maybe a great team — at least, they probably will be come playoff time. But, let's not act like the Pirates played Allen or 2015 Katy last week. Medina Valley would be lucky to win a first-round playoff game in 4A DI Region II this year.

I think the Pirates will have plenty of talent and speed at the skill positions to give Argyle fits, especially early in the game. But, if they get too one-dimensional, the Eagles will adapt and slow down the rushing attack enough to put this game away. If La Vega can air it out and hit some big plays over top — not just little dink-and-dunk type stuff — a couple of times, then I could definitely see them gashing the Argyle defense for some big yards and big points.

The flip side, though, is I see Argyle being able to have the same kind of success against the Pirates' defense. The Eagles have a ton of weapons, and a few targets who will be mismatches for any team they play. Hard to imagine La Vega completely shutting Argyle down, so I think this one will be another barnburner.

As talented as I think La Vega is, and as good as they'll probably be in about 10 weeks, I'm going with our District 7 mates in this one. I like Argyle in a high-scoring affair.

d0tc0m
09-05-2018, 12:59 PM
And, man, I love what Argyle has done, scheduling-wise, this season. If the Eagles stay healthy through this gauntlet they're running in pre-district, then watch out. The Eagles will know exactly who they are when district games roll around, and the only time Argyle might play a more talented team — if they do at all — would be in the state championship game.

regaleagle
09-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Of course there's another story that comes with a heavy running team......clock burning. Argyle will want La Vega to throw the ball more.....if for nothing else than to cause some opportunities for possible turnovers and incompletions to slow the clock down some. I think Argyle's defensive game plan will be to stop the run and force the pass, regardless of the consequences. It's kind of backwards......Argyle is good against the run and a little bit suspect in the secondary. But against a run heavy team like La Vega......you have to stop their main assault first.

PS>>>>Argyle has a great pass rush and can put a great deal of pressure on the qb.

Rocket Man
09-05-2018, 10:08 PM
2 cents:

I think the LV defense will be the difference maker in this one.....just a hunch.

regaleagle
09-06-2018, 06:04 AM
I'll be surprised if La Vega's defense can hang with Argyle's offense. Stephenville had a very good defense and Argyle put up some scores on them. I think Argyle will find a way to score points.....I'm just concerned about how many minutes La Vega holds possession on their end. I'm sure the La Vega coaching staff wants to hold onto the ball and burn the clock as much as possible......unless Argyle is ahead by two scores.

regaleagle
09-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Possible rain showers.....maybe even some lightning and heavy thunderstorms in the forecast for certain parts of the Metroplex around 6-8 pm tonite. Could get some rain in Argyle, but may not get any at all. It's sunny and very nice out right now, but better bring an umbrella and a cap just in case.

regaleagle
09-07-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm expecting another overflow crowd on the Argyle side tonite. Guess I'll leave for the stadium about 5 to beat some of the traffic, get my seat saved, then go get some cajun over in nearby Roanoke about 8 miles down the road. Kickoff tonite is 30 minutes later than last week.....7:30 tonite......I like that time better this time of the year. The Stephenville fans literally basked and baked in the sun on their side of the stadium last week for the entire first quarter and then some. Hopefully it will be much cooler and not so hot tonight, but possible rain in the forecast right about kickoff time. I'm looking for a very physical game again this week against a very good defensive ballclub in La Vega. They do what they do year in and year out......and just win. The speed and athleticism of their players helps, but they also stay with their system and all the players know it well. Execution with speed and blocking.....that's their main deal. And very stingy on defense......that's a winning combination. Hopefully Argyle can disrupt that combination and cause some problems for the Pirates. I'm looking for a high scoring game with big plays from both teams again this week......I think both defenses will be able to get some stops and force the offenses to play more wide open. I'd like to see the Eagles force the Pirates to go to the air more than they want. GO EAGLES!!!

Wayne
09-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Hey Regal, are you sure it starts at 7:30? Just don’t want you to miss anything, everything I’m seeing shows game starts at 7:00.

regaleagle
09-08-2018, 12:17 AM
+WOW and WHEW!!! WHAT A GAME!!! TOPSY TURVY and talent all over the field on both sides. They had Argyle down and out, but they just could not close the deal. Probably lack of experience on LV's part with the youngsters. They mauled our receivers with tight coverages in the secondary and brought the pressure all night on Hogeboom. Low snaps again killed the timing for Argyle's offense with that kind of rush. That part of the offense continues to be a major problem that has to get fixed. It throws off the timing of everything and makes the qb's job impossible. The rb can't get the ball on time and can't hit the hole on time. Argyle has some serious work ahead.....but remains a very good team despite some areas that need attention. Hogeboom needs some help....he's got some talent. The O-line learned alot tonite and did much better against LV's defensive front in the 2nd half. Can't help the long runs......they got a small seam and adios. Overall, the D hung in there and made it a game. Kudos to them.....they improved even tonight. This was a good game to schedule, for sure. For both teams....especially since La Vega is so young. Look out for LV come playoff time.....that's all I gotta say about that!!

Wayne
09-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Heavyweight fight right here. Unbelievable game from two of the best in 4a. The first time they played it went wire to wire and LaVega won 33-31 dang near the same score in this one.

1st and goal
09-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Must've been a nail biter. Both these teams will play late in the year.

regaleagle
09-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Google DentonRC.com and read the article. Click sports, high schools, and then Argyle Eagles. Stats also listed.

regaleagle
09-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Overall......I would have to say that Argyle improved in some areas from Week 1 to Week 2, and saw 2 different types of teams in the process. Both opponents had great defenses......Stephenville perhaps more physical and La Vega more athletic and fast. The Eagles adjusted well in the 2nd half to both teams and improved their defensive and offensive plays. The number of low snaps to the qb are still a major problem that has to get fixed......it keeps the Eagles offense from clicking the way they want. Hogeboom made more progress at qb dealing with all kinds of pressure in both games, and it appears the O-line is starting to gel better as a unit. Still plenty of miscues and mistakes in the blocking schemes that causes some bad plays. The qb and rb's are chomping at the bits to get some nice big holes to run thru.....that has not happened yet. But they are getting some quality minutes against top competition in 4A-D1 so far......so that should bode the entire team well as the season progresses. So far a limited number of minor injuries, and the depth looks good.

d0tc0m
09-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Boy, just getting back on here after the weekend, but what a game. Congratulations to Argyle on winning this prizefight. I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but talk about a confidence-ensuring victory ... this was it. I personally picked Argyle to win this game, but I wondered how well they would adjust to the speed and athleticism of La Vega. They answered those questions. If you were at the game, or if you saw any highlights/film, you can tell La Vega is young at a lot of spots, and, eventually, that experience is going to catch up to sheer talent, and the Pirates are going to be a monster to deal with. But, for this particular night, Argyle showed why they are No. 1 in Div. I. The Eagles will get their next big test in a couple of weeks, when they play Liberty-Eylau. I suspect Argyle will win that one by a couple of scores, but I think the Leopards' speed and athleticism will give the Eagles fits at times, too.

regaleagle
09-11-2018, 07:35 AM
The good part for Argyle is that they also have some youngsters on the varsity playing as well, and will also show improvement as the season progresses. And the team as a whole should also improve on both offense and defense.....especially on offense when the center is no longer snapping it at the shoelaces so many times. It's very difficult for any team to deal with an issue like this, much less when playing two stalwart defenses like Argyle has already this season.