PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville at Argyle: Week 1

regaleagle
08-26-2018, 07:11 PM
All quiet over there in Yellowjacketland, Huh? We all know that Yellowjackets are dangerous to mess with in hot weather. And it's been fiercely HOT lately. In fact......it will be very HOT in Eagle Stadium come Friday night. I hope the Eagles know how to deal with some irritated Yellowjackets when they start messing with them, LOL. Better wear some sunglasses on that side of the field for the first hour......the sun shines right into your faces. A sweat towel might be a good idea too......just sayin'. If you wanna know about some local restaurants before the game......Argyle has a few to choose from nowadays. There will be burgers and sausages on the grills going most likely.....if you wanna eat at the stadium. Sometimes they have Chick Filet sandwiches too. I think one of the ABN broadcasters owns one in Flower Mound.

LHPfactory
08-26-2018, 07:49 PM
This one really needs a poll, possibly the best Week 1 Game in the State. I won’t even begin to try to call this one . I will however be tracking this game along with everyone, lots of mystery will be solved in this one.

Wayne
08-26-2018, 10:46 PM
I honestly think this game will be another close one. And more than likely these 2 teams will meet again in the playoffs.

sk1
08-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Trying to add poll

Gsquared
08-27-2018, 08:07 AM
All quiet over there in Yellowjacketland, Huh? We all know that Yellowjackets are dangerous to mess with in hot weather. And it's been fiercely HOT lately. In fact......it will be very HOT in Eagle Stadium come Friday night. I hope the Eagles know how to deal with some irritated Yellowjackets when they start messing with them, LOL. Better wear some sunglasses on that side of the field for the first hour......the sun shines right into your faces. A sweat towel might be a good idea too......just sayin'. If you wanna know about some local restaurants before the game......Argyle has a few to choose from nowadays. There will be burgers and sausages on the grills going most likely.....if you wanna eat at the stadium. Sometimes they have Chick Filet sandwiches too. I think one of the ABN broadcasters owns one in Flower Mound.

I might go for steak or brisket at Marty B's before the game.

Bosqueville
08-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Argyle 38 Ville 21

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 09:21 AM
I might go for steak or brisket at Marty B's before the game.

I'll already be there myself with my buddy Gary......gnoshing out before gametime. Good food there folks, and not but about 5 minutes drive to the stadium. Highly recommended.

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Argyle does have a brand spankin' new and enlarged Press Box this season......plenty of room now for all those using the facility and a definite improvement. It's one of those double-decker dogs......nothing fancy, but it'll suit the purposes.

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 09:44 AM
From what I remember last season, Stephenville likes to use wideout Gage Graham religiously to spread the defense out so that Nowak will have wider lanes to run thru. Short throws wide to Graham.....he's got speed and moves......to get the secondary's attention. Now all Nowak needs is a seam to break thru and he's one on one in the secondary. The Argyle D will have to play disciplined and not overpursue. I believe the Yellow Jackets staff will try lots of misdirections to try to take advantage of Argyle's pursuit to the ball. Not sure about the O-line for Stephenville......we'll find out Friday night.....but I'm sure they'll have some big guys in there jamming up the bullrushes.

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Argyle has a new OC this season......so all of us will be seeing some new twists over the past few years. It's quite evident not much has been revealed in the scrimmages so far, but I seriously doubt that the Eagles offense will be that vanilla. They have too many playmakers on offense to be that vanilla. Besides.....with two new qbs at the helm you just know for sure that the OC will be using his other weapons to move the chains on all kinds of offensive looks and plays. Should be fun to watch this one unfold. And regardless of the outcome.....it will only be a win or loss for either team against top competition on the road to a bigger and better season that has deep playoff possibilities written all over it.

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 10:09 AM
From the scrimmages it appears Argyle has been working hard on its kicking game again. Last season a missed field goal late in the Stephenville game from inside the 20 was a heartbreaker for the Eagles......and ended their season. I'm certain Coach Rodgers lost plenty of sleep over that one and would prefer not to go thru that again if he can help it. There's enough other worries without having nightmares over the kicking game.....LOL.

regaleagle
08-27-2018, 10:26 AM
From the scrimmages it appears Argyle has been working hard on its kicking game again. Last season a missed field goal late in the Stephenville game from inside the 20 was a heartbreaker for the Eagles......and ended their season. I'm certain Coach Rodgers lost plenty of sleep over that one and would prefer not to go thru that again if he can help it. There's enough other worries without having nightmares over the kicking game.....LOL.

Maybe this one will end similar to last year......with Argyle winning this time in the last minute with a field goal. If that happens......Coach Rodgers won't have to worry about kicking game nightmares this year.......he'll get some much needed sleep.

hollywood
08-27-2018, 11:53 PM
From what I remember last season, Stephenville likes to use wideout Gage Graham religiously to spread the defense out so that Nowak will have wider lanes to run thru. Short throws wide to Graham.....he's got speed and moves......to get the secondary's attention. Now all Nowak needs is a seam to break thru and he's one on one in the secondary. The Argyle D will have to play disciplined and not overpursue. I believe the Yellow Jackets staff will try lots of misdirections to try to take advantage of Argyle's pursuit to the ball. Not sure about the O-line for Stephenville......we'll find out Friday night.....but I'm sure they'll have some big guys in there jamming up the bullrushes.

All but 1 starter on the OL returns this season. The Ville offense will be more potent than last seasons. Let’s just say a few more wrinkles to the Ville offense have been added since last season. Yes, the loss of QB Jones and WR Aragon are going to be missed. But let’s just say there are weapons all over the field this season... and more overall speed on offense for a Sville team than I’ve seen in years. The defense will be better. An added LB to pair up with Caylor that are body slamming, ruthless head hunters. Will be a fun ride while it lasts

toddg
08-28-2018, 03:15 AM
All but 1 starter on the OL returns this season. The Ville offense will be more potent than last seasons. Let’s just say a few more wrinkles to the Ville offense have been added since last season. Yes, the loss of QB Jones and WR Aragon are going to be missed. But let’s just say there are weapons all over the field this season... and more overall speed on offense for a Sville team than I’ve seen in years. The defense will be better. An added LB to pair up with Caylor that are body slamming, ruthless head hunters. Will be a fun ride while it lasts
LoL!! Hollywood is the CNN of ville posters!!
Argyle by 2 tds

regaleagle
08-28-2018, 10:10 AM
I'm not certain the Argyllians are ready for so much terror in their beloved football stadium. Friday the 13th happened already this year in July, Hollywood.....could you ask your coaches to try to tone it down a little if the players start getting out of hand??? I hope one of those LB's is not named Freddie, LOL. I think Coach Rodgers is trying to eliminate as many nightmares as possible this season.

hollywood
08-29-2018, 01:05 PM
LoL!! Hollywood is the CNN of ville posters!!
Argyle by 2 tds

:spitlol:

hollywood
08-29-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm not certain the Argyllians are ready for so much terror in their beloved football stadium. Friday the 13th happened already this year in July, Hollywood.....could you ask your coaches to try to tone it down a little if the players start getting out of hand??? I hope one of those LB's is not named Freddie, LOL. I think Coach Rodgers is trying to eliminate as many nightmares as possible this season.

LB’s make Freddie look like an angel regal!

d0tc0m
08-29-2018, 01:11 PM
This is an unbelievable first-week matchup, man! I will be following this one very closely. Wish this was one of the live games FSSW was broadcasting. Having not seen either team yet, obviously, it depends on which bill of goods you're buying. If you listen to the Stephenville faithful, it sounds like the Yellowjackets may be better than last year, if they've found a QB. If you listen to regal, this may be the best Argyle team ever.

I tend to lean more towards Argyle right now. I think they're loaded for bear at all positions, and I think they're pissed off about letting that game get away last December. I'll take the Eagles by 12 in a high-scoring game. And I'd say the odds are high these two squads could butt heads again in December.

Hope both sides stay healthy and play a clean, entertaining ballgame!

jason
08-29-2018, 03:57 PM
If you listen to the Stephenville faithful, it sounds like the Yellowjackets may be better than last year, if they've found a QB.
I haven't heard anyone saying that.

d0tc0m
08-29-2018, 10:14 PM
I haven't heard anyone saying that.

Cool.

regaleagle
08-29-2018, 10:43 PM
When Jason is quiet.....you kinda think something is up. Not that he's ever that "over the top" about the Yellow jackets with his posts......but dead silence can be a killer. I'ma thinkin' Stephenville is breathing blood to win this one in Argyle's home stadium in the season opener for both teams. Of course they are.....but this game will catapult the winning team much moreso than the losing team towards the rest of the season, IMO. Both teams are very good and one of these teams will come away with a loss. It will be a bitter pill to swallow to start off the season.....neither team is accustomed to losing so early.

jason
08-30-2018, 08:05 AM
When Jason is quiet.....you kinda think something is up. Not that he's ever that "over the top" about the Yellow jackets with his posts......but dead silence can be a killer. I'ma thinkin' Stephenville is breathing blood to win this one in Argyle's home stadium in the season opener for both teams. Of course they are.....but this game will catapult the winning team much moreso than the losing team towards the rest of the season, IMO. Both teams are very good and one of these teams will come away with a loss. It will be a bitter pill to swallow to start off the season.....neither team is accustomed to losing so early.
My wife is president of the booster club so I have to be a little more careful about what I put in writing. That being said - I am going to make the trip up there to watch, so we'll see. It won't have the same luster as last year's game. Hard to beat that playoff atmosphere even with a big time matchup.

regaleagle
08-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Well Jeepers!!! I guess we have a really BIG game coming up to start the ball rolling this season, Huh? Not sure how either team will perform starting out, but by the 3rd quarter gets here I'm sure it will be all out war on that field. Typically.....Argyle likes to finesse its way into these contests to get a better feel for what the opponent is doing, then make adjustments as the game progresses. I have this feeling that Stephenville will come out very physical and force Argyle into a warlike mentality earlier, LOL. There could be some fireworks happening right away in this game......so don't be late to get your popcorn. All I gotta say is DEFENSE!! Argyle will be fine on offense as long as the D is there to control the action. With a new QB at the helm, it will be interesting to see what kind of plays Argyle will run in the first part of the game. I like Hogeboom's attitude and willingness to take charge of the offense.....I think he's gonna be a very good qb for the Eagles. I think the Argyle coaching staff likes what they see too. Oh.....he'll make some mistakes.....every qb does. But he'll also make good decisions and has athletic ability......he's already proven that. I'm all pumped for this one and for this season.....GO EAGLES!!

jason
08-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Pre-game food recommendations? A friend of mine said go to Roanoke

regaleagle
08-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Good recommendation. Roanoke has a great selection of good food choices that you cannot find in Argyle. Just google restaurants in Roanoke Texas and you'll see how many they have there. It's only 10 minutes down the street from the stadium. Other good choices in the Argyle area include Cristina's Fine Mexican Restaurant in Bartonville at Crosstimbers(1171) and 407......for those that need their Friday Mexican food fix.....highly recommend this place for Mexican food. Get the Carne Asada y Enchilada(much better than fajitas), it's fantastic. Marty B's is a new place on 407 by the Bartonville Center right on 407 across from Lantana......they've got great BarBQue, steaks, and finger foods.....and a great bar. Fuzzy's Tacos is right by the stadium.....easy and regular Mexican. The Smokehouse on 377 at IH 35 in Denton is also a great sit down home cooking place that's been a favorite for the locals for years. It's only 10 minutes from the stadium.

regaleagle
08-30-2018, 10:13 AM
For great cheap TexMex, there's a hole-in-the-wall type little Mexican Restaurant across the street from The Smokehouse called Mi Ranchita. This little place will have the parking lot full......the food is truly good TexMex for a very cheap price. The family has owned and operated this place for as long as I can remember......and has not changed its quality. The food here is very good for the price......you'll leave happy. The service is fast too. And the salsa......I can drink it....it's so good!!!

regaleagle
08-31-2018, 12:01 AM
Just for the record.....the last time Argyle lost a home game was the home opener against Wylie in 2012. That year they lost to Wylie to start the season and lost to Gilmer to end the season......they went 10-2 that year. Wylie was in D-I and Gilmer lost to Navasota in the D-II SC game in Jerryworld that year. I believe Wylie was undefeated that season until losing to Stephenville in the regional final. Then Stephenville went on to win the SC title game against El Campo. So it's been quite a while since Argyle has lost a game at home. It might happen again this season with Stephenville and La Vega coming to town. Then again.....it might not. :taunt:

d0tc0m
08-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Just for the record.....the last time Argyle lost a home game was the home opener against Wylie in 2012. That year they lost to Wylie to start the season and lost to Gilmer to end the season......they went 10-2 that year. Wylie was in D-I and Gilmer lost to Navasota in the D-II SC game in Jerryworld that year. I believe Wylie was undefeated that season until losing to Stephenville in the regional final. Then Stephenville went on to win the SC title game against El Campo. So it's been quite a while since Argyle has lost a game at home. It might happen again this season with Stephenville and La Vega coming to town. Then again.....it might not. :taunt:

Those are two incredible home games to have on your schedule. If you're a fan, you can't ask for more exciting pre-district football than that!

Caveman
08-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Argyle’s freshmen beat Stephenville 27-14 and The Red team won too don’t know score. Argyle’s JV beat the fire out of Stephenville 43-6 .

regaleagle
08-31-2018, 01:54 PM
NOW it's finally here.....GAMEDAY FRIDAY!! Get your popcorn and settle in for the excitement all over the great State of Texas for Friday Night Football in Texas!! It just don't get better than this, folks......anywhere on the planet if you love football like we do in Texas. And what a game for a season opener, huh? I'm getting to the stadium at least an hour early......probably 5:30ish. I didn't buy season reserve seats.....I'm a widower......so I'm gonna have to get there early to get a good seat on what's available. This one's gonna be worth the price of admission for sure.....but all Argyle games usually are. GO EAGLES!!!

regaleagle
08-31-2018, 02:03 PM
I don't care what the scores of the freshman and JV games were last night......that has nothing to do with how the varsity teams play each other tonight. IF Anything.....it gives the Yellow Jackets even more resolve to prove their mettle tonight in Eagle Stadium. I have no doubts that this game will be a rockem sockem affair......I'm thinking a very close ballgame. I just don't see either team allowing the other to dominate. Maybe some bad breaks or turnovers that lead to an easy score or two.......but both of these teams will play disciplined football. Both teams will be coached well. Both teams have some seasoned leaders, and both teams have some talented athletes. Both teams have a great defense. Both teams have explosive offenses. Both teams are balanced in their offensive schemes. This should be a very good one, folks. DEFENSE!! Can Argyle's D slow down this Stephenville offensive juggernaut? The Yellow Jackets have the personnel on offense to score and score from anywhere on the field. I believe they have a very good qb also. I know they have some stellar backs and receivers. DEFENSE!! GO EAGLES!!!

regaleagle
08-31-2018, 11:11 PM
As it turned out.....both teams defenses were very very good. Both teams offenses scored quite a few points against good defenses. Overall.....I would say both teams lived up to their billing in Class 4A tonight......it was a very good ballgame. Not without mistakes, but well-played and hard-played until the end. Stephenville looks in very good form......they have the players to contend with any team in 4A for sure. Argyle was impressive, despite the mistakes. I was really impressed with Hogeboom.......he proved his abilities tonight, no doubting. I'm still concerned about the number of low and high snaps.....mostly low ones at the shoes. Lots of speed on both teams and lots of athletic plays despite the good defenses. Good Game Stephenville......y'all are good and will get only better each game. Argyle is good too and has all kinds of room to improve. But Orange Machine is dead wrong, folks.......or Celina and Melissa are beasts this year......one or the other. Hogeboom will be a very good qb this season for the Eagles......he's got what it takes.

jason
09-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Good game. It didn't turn out like I thought and walked out a lot more optimistic than I was going in. Offense needs work but the defense was solid.

Will be interesting to see how LaVega stacks up next week.

regaleagle
09-01-2018, 05:05 AM
I think it's better early on for the defenses to be in better form than the offenses......the offenses will begin to click and come along with more games. That's what everyone saw last night.....two very good defenses that will also improve. For a first game of the season against a highly experienced ranked opponent, both teams showed signs of high potential for this season, IMO. Some new young players for Argyle emerged in this one I was not expecting.....and some of the players that Argyle relied on last season on offense did not get as many opportunities as they will going forward......so that's also a good thing for the Eagles. Looks like Argyle will have good depth at the skill positions at least. The O-Line finally started working as a unit in the 2nd half.....another good sign early. I'm just blown away at how well these players played......Stephenville was bigger and more physical but not able to dominate on either side of the ball. Like Jason says......we will see next week what Waco La Vega brings to the table when they come to Argyle next Friday night. One thing we know they will bring......lots of speed all over the field and some talented skill position players. Not sure about the rest.....but a very athletic team for sure.

regaleagle
09-01-2018, 05:21 AM
On a side note......WOW for Dillon Carter!!! He played as a wide receiver on offense and caught some long ones, a free safety on defense and made some serious stops, and punted like a professional punter. I think he hit two punts that traveled around over 50 yds in the air.....and over 60 total. I know one punt went 69 yds......what a leg, Huh? He's a stud, for sure. Brendan Dixon is too.....he had an interception and played stellar in the secondary. Clearman is very fast and reads the plays well from safety, but got hobbled in the 2nd half......but came back in to play after a series......then got hobbled again......then played again. I think they should have let him sit the rest of the game.....he's a valuable player for this team this season.

regaleagle
09-01-2018, 06:09 AM
You can google dentonrc.com to read the stats and their article about this game. Just click on sports, then high schools, then Argyle Eagles to read the article.

jason
09-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Stats show just how even this game really was.

Rush
Sv 134
Ar 144 (this was negative in first half)

Pass
Sv 301
Ar 295

Total
Sv 435
Ar 439

Turnovers
Sv 1
Ar 4

1st downs
Sv 20
Ar 22

Punt avg (this was noted above)
Sv 33.5
Ar 53.5
Argyle punter hit some beauties

3rd down conversions
Sv 3 for 17
Ar 9 for 15

4th down conversions
Sv 3 for 7
Ar 3 for x

Sacks
Sv 3
Ar 6

Penalties
Sv 5 for 55
Ar 7 for 59

Caveman
09-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Argyle had 5 turnovers. This game was not as close as the score might indicate. two of the Sville scores came on bonehead execution. On one play the Argyle QB just stared at the ball laying on the ground. and he almost did it on another Argyle has a lot of work ahead. This is not a state championship team at this point. They might have gotten their OL problem figured out but the QB needs to figure out when the lane opens he has to take off. Secondary, played well one minute then gave up easy plays the next. Dline better start eating their Wheaties, the games don't get any easier. LB is outstanding. He practically controls the line by himself. The new kid Byce might be a pleasant surprise. What are the players taking before the game that they had so many of them cramp up out there. Not one Sville player cramped up. HMMMM. Still not convinced about this team. Judt because you're Argyle doesn't mean teams are going to lay down when you come to town.

jason
09-01-2018, 08:41 AM
We noticed the cramping. It was a hot summer night though and we figured neither team had gone that hard for that long so it wasn't surprising. That it was so one sided was the surprise.

cowboyandchrist
09-01-2018, 08:44 AM
That must of been a great game to watch, both teams sure lived up to the rankings. I am a fan of both programs and hope my Dawgs get to play one or both this year.
Sounds like both teams made 1st game mistakes that will be easy to fix in practice. Dang!!! Argyle, you guys play a loaded non-district schedule and if you can stay healthy you guys will be battle tested. To the Ville, I think you guys proved you are back where you belong and I have a feeling you may see the Eagles again.
When you two are good, it makes all of 4A good.
After the Carthage Dawgs first game last night, I can tell you our Oline and Dline may be better than last year, we made many mistakes, but can be fixed. I look forward to keeping up with both teams this year. I truly believe this year their are more teams with a legit shot at the title.
I don't believe in luck so I will say God Bless and pray for no injuries to you both.
Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

hollywood
09-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I will say this, both Sville and Argyle are solid all the way around. First game mistakes were apparent and can be corrected. Both Arylge’s and Sville’s skill players are athletic, have plenty of speed and have good football IQ. Size in the skill positions may become a factor later in the season. Execution will have to be at a high precision level to overcome.

On a side note, out of the 5 TD’s scored by Sville, 4 of them were from Sophomore’s. I liked what I saw from those youngsters!

regaleagle
09-01-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure what Caveman expects from the first game of the season from 15-18 yr. old boys......Texas High School football is the best in the country. Both of these teams can readily beat most 5A teams in Texas, so that means they can compete to a very high degree nationally with most teams. Sure there were 1st game mistakes by the players from both teams......that happens every year......especially when two top-notch high caliber defenses are on the field. All in all this was an eye opening game for both fanbases.....and the coaches too. Come playoff time, you will see two very excellent football teams in full bloom.

Just read the article on Melissa vs Liberty Christian last night from the Denton Record Chronicle.....you will read about lots of mistakes made in that game too. Does that mean Melissa is not a SC contender too???

hollywood
09-01-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure what Caveman expects from the first game of the season from 15-18 yr. old boys......Texas High School football is the best in the country. Both of these teams can readily beat most 5A teams in Texas, so that means they can compete to a very high degree nationally with most teams. Sure there were 1st game mistakes by the players from both teams......that happens every year......especially when two top-notch high caliber defenses are on the field. All in all this was an eye opening game for both fanbases.....and the coaches too. Come playoff time, you will see two very excellent football teams in full bloom.

Couldn’t have said it better regaleagle!