08-09-2018, 10:30 AM
http://lonestargridiron.com/2018/08/4a-tiers-and-dark-horses-show/

Txbroadcaster
08-10-2018, 11:33 AM
3A
http://lonestargridiron.com/2018/08/3a-tiers-and-dark-horses-show/

regaleagle
08-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Not many people know this, but my brother told me that last year on the night of the Yoakum-Goliad playoff game at DKR stadium, the Goliad players were fed Barbeque before the game. With that kind of pregame meal.....it's no wonder the players looked slow and lethargic. Plus, I think the players were sort of "in awe" playing at DKR in Austin.....they really were not mentally or physically "ready" for that playoff game last year.....even though they had the personnel to match up with Yoakum to make the game a much closer contest. It was not close after the first quarter. I think this season things will be different for this team mentally.......and it will start right away. By the time district rolls around with Yoakum, Hallettsville, and Edna......three very quality teams......Goliad should be a much improved team from where their season ended last year in that playoff game against Yoakum. I'll be getting the updates from my brother as the season unfolds.

regaleagle
08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
I believe Goliad finished high in the 7 on 7 this summer, defeating Celina but eventually losing to Melissa......just to give you an idea of quality they will have at qb and their receiving corps.

Gsquared
08-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Not many people know this, but my brother told me that last year on the night of the Yoakum-Goliad playoff game at DKR stadium, the Goliad players were fed Barbeque before the game. With that kind of pregame meal.....it's no wonder the players looked slow and lethargic. Plus, I think the players were sort of "in awe" playing at DKR in Austin.....they really were not mentally or physically "ready" for that playoff game last year.....even though they had the personnel to match up with Yoakum to make the game a much closer contest. It was not close after the first quarter. I think this season things will be different for this team mentally.......and it will start right away. By the time district rolls around with Yoakum, Hallettsville, and Edna......three very quality teams......Goliad should be a much improved team from where their season ended last year in that playoff game against Yoakum. I'll be getting the updates from my brother as the season unfolds.
I was at that game and ill tell you that Yoakum looked 10 times quicker off the ball than Goliad. Was pretty impressive how the Bulldogs came out of the gates. I think this is the year that Goliad takes Yoakum though. Pretty sure we are going to head down there for that one. Heard Goliad got a QB move in from Hallettsville (Taylor I think), but don't quote me on that.

bd62
08-10-2018, 08:00 PM
I was at that game and ill tell you that Yoakum looked 10 times quicker off the ball than Goliad. Was pretty impressive how the Bulldogs came out of the gates. I think this is the year that Goliad takes Yoakum though. Pretty sure we are going to head down there for that one. Heard Goliad got a QB move in from Hallettsville (Taylor I think), but don't quote me on that.

They got last year WR who was a brother to Hville Sr QB . His name is Jackson Taylor and he really good on both sides of ball.

regaleagle
08-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Yep......those brothers were a really good combo for Hallettsville, for sure. Now the younger one is back at Goliad where his father was coaching before he was dismissed for harrassment charges. He was also a former head coach for Hallettsville before they hired Psencik in 2010. Taylor moved to Goliad and accepted a position as O.C. or D.C.for several seasons before becoming the Head Coach in 2015. After that season and the dismissal, he moved back to Hallettsville where his sons played on the Brahmas football team. His son DJ was QB there for 2016 and 2017 while son Jackson played as a soph. and junior for the 'Brahmas at receiver. Jackson Taylor will be a senior this season under 3rd yr. Head Coach Bobby Nicholson in Goliad. Nicholson was hired as AD and Head Football Coach after Taylor's resignation. Nicholson was Yoakum's Offensive Coordinator and Head Baseball Coach for 9 seasons before resigning to take the reins at Goliad. Guess what??? Psensick of Hallettsville was originally hired away from Yoakum too in 2010....replacing Taylor who was Head Coach of Hallettsville for 2 yrs. Stranger than fiction, Huh?

jason
08-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Just watched stephenvilles intersquad scrimmage. That first team Defense look pretty solid vs the JV!!

bd62
08-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Yep......those brothers were a really good combo for Hallettsville, for sure. Now the younger one is back at Goliad where his father was coaching before he was dismissed for harrassment charges. He was also a former head coach for Hallettsville before they hired Psencik in 2010. Taylor moved to Goliad and accepted a position as O.C. or D.C.for several seasons before becoming the Head Coach in 2015. After that season and the dismissal, he moved back to Hallettsville where his sons played on the Brahmas football team. His son DJ was QB there for 2016 and 2017 while son Jackson played as a soph. and junior for the 'Brahmas at receiver. Jackson Taylor will be a senior this season under 3rd yr. Head Coach Bobby Nicholson in Goliad. Nicholson was hired as AD and Head Football Coach after Taylor's resignation. Nicholson was Yoakum's Offensive Coordinator and Head Baseball Coach for 9 seasons before resigning to take the reins at Goliad. Guess what??? Psensick of Hallettsville was originally hired away from Yoakum too in 2010....replacing Taylor who was Head Coach of Hallettsville for 2 yrs. Stranger than fiction, Huh?

Lots of good info there. Coach Psenik was at Yoakum for 15 yrs and was D.C. Most of time and AD for one year. Great guy than done a really good job at Hville Coach Taylor has coached at AD at Hville and twice at Goliad and has always had very good programs at both schools. Not sure what happen at Goliad but I always thought and still think Kyle Taylor a great guy. There always rumors and this was a very unusual situation. Good luck to Jackson at Goliad.

lostaussie
08-13-2018, 09:23 AM
I think before the season is over it will be obvious that Gilmer has fallen a notch. I hope not, but I just see it slowly transpiring.

Bosqueville
08-13-2018, 09:24 AM
China Spring will surprise you...

And Brownwood folks are not going to be happy about not even being labeled a dark horse..

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2018, 09:46 AM
I think before the season is over it will be obvious that Gilmer has fallen a notch. I hope not, but I just see it slowly transpiring.

Did you see them Saturday night? This team looks like it has a lot of good athletes to me. I think it largely depends on how good our QB turns out to be.

Dawgs
08-13-2018, 10:04 AM
I hope that’s not true about Gilmer. My second favorite team.

I know Turner has done a good job, but I have a question. Why is it that the powers to be didn’t hire Kurt Traylor? Y’all let the last Traylor get out the door to Tyler Lee.

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2018, 10:13 AM
I hope that’s not true about Gilmer. My second favorite team.

I know Turner has done a good job, but I have a question. Why is it that the powers to be didn’t hire Kurt Traylor? Y’all let the last Traylor get out the door to Tyler Lee.

Usually a longtime coordinator is considered to be next in line as head coach, if you're hiring from within. So that was part of it, I think. As anyone who follows Gilmer knows, Matt Turner was just as responsible for the success of Gilmer on offense from 2003 on as Jeff Traylor was.

Gilmer doesn't play defense all that much, so that's why the defensive coordinator wasn't considered. Just kidding. :)

Actually, as I recall, he didn't even apply for the job.

lostaussie
08-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Did you see them Saturday night? This team looks like it has a lot of good athletes to me. I think it largely depends on how good our QB turns out to be.

No I didn't attend. Now, I hope I am completely wrong. Two semi final appearances in 3 years is nothing to sneeze at. I just think we have lost some of the "it" factor that got us to where we were at.
We don't even have any signs in town recognizing the 2014 team that won state. And one of the signs coming in from Gladewater has a PG sticker plastered right in the middle of it that nobody will even remove. In my opinion the Buckeyes have grown irrelevant to 75% of the town.

waterboy
08-13-2018, 11:10 AM
No I didn't attend. Now, I hope I am completely wrong. Two semi final appearances in 3 years is nothing to sneeze at. I just think we have lost some of the "it" factor that got us to where we were at.
We don't even have any signs in town recognizing the 2014 team that won state. And one of the signs coming in from Gladewater has a PG sticker plastered right in the middle of it that nobody will even remove. In my opinion the Buckeyes have grown irrelevant to 75% of the town.

I haven't even seen that sign with the sticker on it. I guess I'll have to take a closer look on the way home.

This year's Buckeyes look bigger than the last few teams I've seen. It may be an optical illusion, though. I'm with you in that it seems the excitement has tapered off. I would love to see the DEFENSE stressed more, though, and unless that happens, it will be another season of what-ifs. We will win a lot of games, though, for sure.

movethechain
08-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Excitement is down since JT left, but the system is still here as well as great athletes and coaches. What is missing is just the fire on the sideline that Jeff always brought. I watched this year's "Meet The Buckeyes" video from the other night and we have several BIG ol' boys this year. Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.

lostaussie
08-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Excitement is down since JT left, but the system is still here as well as great athletes and coaches. What is missing is just the fire on the sideline that Jeff always brought. I watched this year's "Meet The Buckeyes" video from the other night and we have several BIG ol' boys this year. Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.

That's good to hear. We need a little size. And a defense......a defense would be great. Not a total shutdown defense.......just the kind that get get some stops at critical times of the day game. We haven't had that in several years.

jason
08-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Unusual for Gilmer, but this year seems we have a bit more beef. This year will be fun, just for the fact that we don't know what we will have at the QB position. Might be a bit painful at the start of the season, until the offense jells with the new QB. We have at least a couple very talented receivers back as well as a top level running back. My anticipation is high as I try to keep my doubts in check.
This describes Stephenvile to a 'T'.

Txbroadcaster
08-13-2018, 07:24 PM
I haven't even seen that sign with the sticker on it. I guess I'll have to take a closer look on the way home.

This year's Buckeyes look bigger than the last few teams I've seen. It may be an optical illusion, though. I'm with you in that it seems the excitement has tapered off. I would love to see the DEFENSE stressed more, though, and unless that happens, it will be another season of what-ifs. We will win a lot of games, though, for sure.

I think we will see Gilmer be more like the Justin Johnson Buckeyes where they will establish a run alot more.

Celina8
08-13-2018, 07:49 PM
I am not trying to argue with the hometown crowd who knows way more about there own team than I actually, but just my humble opinion Gilmer only knows one thing and that is Winning!!!! One of the best program in the State.

Aesculus gilmus
08-14-2018, 07:21 AM
I am not trying to argue with the hometown crowd who knows way more about there own team than I actually, but just my humble opinion Gilmer only knows one thing and that is Winning!!!! One of the best program in the State.

Thank you, Celina8. Of course, the same can be said about the Celina football program and the winning tradition there was established way before we had one.

waterboy
08-14-2018, 08:07 AM
I think we will see Gilmer be more like the Justin Johnson Buckeyes where they will establish a run alot more.

You definitely could be right. I don't know that we have a RB with that kind of size and power, but we do have a good stable of RBs. I look for Brannon Webb to have a big season, and I also think we will be just fine at QB. We have several very good receivers, too. I don't think we will be nearly as prone to TOs like we have the past three seasons, either. Now..., if we could just stress DEFENSE a little more.....

griff
08-14-2018, 08:36 AM

In spite of that, DCTF has picked your team and mine (WO-S) to meet in the finals. Obviously past success has factored heavily into this prognosis. WO-S will be really good, but I don't see us as the #1 team out of the gate as DCTF ranked us because we have too many new faces. I have all the faith in the world in Coach Thompson and his staff to get the most out of our players. Our brutal pre-season schedule will show us where we stand - Nederland (5A), Newton, Crosby (#4 in 5A), Jasper, and Silsbee as the first district game. Personally, I thought Cuero should have received the #1 ranking. They have probably the best player in 4AD2 (Whittington) and TWO proven tailbacks.

lostaussie
08-14-2018, 09:31 AM
We will both get a little taste of Newton. Could be a good indicator.

buckeyebob
08-15-2018, 10:19 PM
I have been very pleased...seem to have the fire with the guys...we will have a great bunch of Seniors that have already stepped up...strong & large bunch of Juniors with lots of experience & new blood...Sophs are already there in so many ways... I think this bunch will impress you...Freshmen have some really special guys with years of wins...maybe some Varsity talent...Jr.High is going to be a real handful
Made several practices & I am seeing a very special bunch.