PDA

View Full Version : Is Argyle loaded for a title run this year???

regaleagle
07-23-2018, 08:21 AM
I guess that's the question everybody really wants to know. It's easy for the writers and forecasters to always put them near the top, but this season's 4A Division I teams are plentiful and loaded in every region. In Argyle's region, and even within it's own district.....there appears to be plenty of talent and competition to give cause for concern for the Eagles. Will they be as good or even better than last year's team that was decimated with injuries and to their stellar quarterback Jon Copeland??? Copeland has graduated and is playing at the next level now......his backup last season Hayden Clearman will lead this team at quarterback this season. Clearman played as the backup in his soph season also.....even though he was an outstanding defensive safety on defense for much of the last two seasons. He's very athletic and a leader.....did very well in baseball last season to help win that title for the Eagles. Who else do they have and how good will they be???

regaleagle
07-23-2018, 08:36 AM
The truth of the matter is this......Argyle does have some talented players this season on the team. Most were juniors last season.....this is really a good group of very athletic seniors. Not sure yet if Brendan Dixon will play this season in the secondary....or opt out because of the UT baseball verbal since his freshman year. Pretty sure Dillon Carter will opt out.....he was just an excellent player in the secondary his soph season, but did not play last season when Dixon did. But Argyle still has plenty of younger players at that position that are juniors and sophs. In fact.....I would definitely say this team IS loaded with talent.....maybe even moreso from top to bottom than the 2013 team that won the State title....even though that class was full of seniors. I like the beef Argyle has this season on both lines as well.....and their seasoning. They were smallish last season and young. Except for the loss of Copeland......Argyle was positioned to vie for the title last season and came within a missed opportunity late against Stephenville to get there. That game was their only loss of the season.....and quite honestly......the Eagles were outmatched physically but still very much controlled the 2nd half of that game and did not convert at the end on a missed opportunity to win it. So YES......they should be a better team this season......more talent, more physical, and more experience. But so will many others.

regaleagle
07-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Here's a look at Argyle's schedule for the 2018 season:
Stephenville @ Argyle
Waco La Vega @ Argyle
Chapel Hill @ Chapel Hill
Bye Week
Liberty Eylau in Sulphur Springs
Sanger @ Argyle*
Paris North Lamar @ North Lamar*
Paris @ Argyle*
Melissa @ Melissa*
Anna @ Argyle*
Celina @ Celina*!!

* Denotes District Game
!! Denotes Rivalry Game......Celina has the best record of any opponent against Argyle of more than two games played. The record between these two schools in football is 6-4 in favor of Argyle.

speedbump
07-23-2018, 02:19 PM
I guess that's the question everybody really wants to know. It's easy for the writers and forecasters to always put them near the top, but this season's 4A Division I teams are plentiful and loaded in every region. In Argyle's region, and even within it's own district.....there appears to be plenty of talent and competition to give cause for concern for the Eagles. Will they be as good or even better than last year's team that was decimated with injuries and to their stellar quarterback Jon Copeland??? Copeland has graduated and is playing at the next level now......his backup last season Hayden Clearman will lead this team at quarterback this season. Clearman played as the backup in his soph season also.....even though he was an outstanding defensive safety on defense for much of the last two seasons. He's very athletic and a leader.....did very well in baseball last season to help win that title for the Eagles. Who else do they have and how good will they be???

Everybody ?? mmm.... maybe not everybody. LOL

Bosqueville
07-23-2018, 04:23 PM
As long as the injury bug doesn’t happen again I would say highly likely..

buckeyebob
07-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Here's a look at Argyle's schedule for the 2018 season:
Stephenville @ Argyle
Waco La Vega @ Argyle
Chapel Hill @ Chapel Hill
Bye Week
Liberty Eylau in Sulphur Springs
Sanger @ Argyle*
Paris North Lamar @ North Lamar*
Paris @ Argyle*
Melissa @ Melissa*
Anna @ Argyle*
Celina @ Celina*!!

* Denotes District Game
!! Denotes Rivalry Game......Celina has the best record of any opponent against Argyle of more than two games played. The record between these two schools in football is 6-4 in favor of Argyle.

Am I seeing this right...Celina has moved to Div 1...gonna miss seeing them as well as Argyle.

d0tc0m
07-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Am I seeing this right...Celina has moved to Div 1...gonna miss seeing them as well as Argyle.

Celina was indeed bumped up to Division I, along with Melissa. This is going to be a nasty district in a nasty/loaded Region II.

So Clearman is going to be the QB then, huh? I had heard from several people that the move-in from SLC (Martindale) would be the signal caller, and they'd be using Clearman in other places. But, I reckon those people were speaking out of turn.

From the sound of your post, regal, it certainly seems like Argyle is loaded for bear again this year. But no Copeland is a big loss. Clearman is good, no question, but he is not Copeland. Not having Don Williams in the backfield will be felt, too. I suspect Lang will have a great year, but not having the 1-2 punch with him and Williams will make things different. And then if Dixon and Carter are definitely out, then the Eagles will be strapped for some youngsters to step up and fill in some big shoes.

At any rate, I expect Argyle to be really good again and in the conversation for a district title, region title and state title. But they play a pretty nasty schedule, and the district slate will be more difficult than it has been in the past few years.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 12:36 PM
I don't know.....Wichita Falls Hirschi was not an easy win last season either. Neither was Decatur and Sanger. Our district has been tougher than most people give it credit for. Just because Argyle wins it every year does not mean the district is weak with the rest of the teams in it. Seems like that's all I read on here about Argyle's district.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 12:46 PM
But I agree with d0tc0m about District 7 DI this season for sure. Melissa, Celina, and Argyle all in the same district.....not to mention a very steady Paris team that wins district titles also many years.....WILL change the landscape in how Region II slots its playoff pairings going forward all the way toward an eventual Region II Champion in Division I. Heck, Melissa and Celina weren't even in Division I before this season......so everything is most definitely different starting this season in Region II D-1 for sure.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Argyle and Celina have continued scheduling each other recently even though they were in different Divisions, not just different Districts......so that rivalry matchup has not really changed. Argyle has also been scheduling Paris in predistrict for years......so that hasn't really changed either. Looks like the addition of Melissa changes the landscape a little, but there were years when Decatur and Sanger were very good in our old district......still playing Celina and Paris in predistrict. Not really sure that much has changed for Argyle.....we still play every game with a bullseye on our back.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Playing Stephenville, La Vega, and LE in predistrict should only season some of the younger players for a playoff run later......looks like a pretty good schedule for Argyle if they really want to beat the best this season.

Dawgs
07-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Isn’t Argyle loaded for a run every year? They are preseason #1 almost every year. RII is loaded. I been watching highlights of Mellisa from last year. They are gonna be a tough out. I’ll want to see Argyle make some real noise in the playoffs. Last couple years had some early exits. If they can get thru that district and RII I would say they have to be the favorites to win the title. Going to be a fun year.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 01:22 PM
In the recent past years.....Argyle's predistrict schedule included very good teams from Wylie, Denison, and Lovejoy in addition to Celina and Paris. Yet Argyle has been able to lose only one game most seasons......the last game of the season in the playoffs.....or one early and one late in only 2 of the last 9 seasons. All other years Argyle either won every game or lost the final game of the season in the playoffs. Argyle is 119-11 in the past 9 seasons.....do the math. BTW, Argyle was 50-24 it's first 5 seasons while Coach Rodgers was building Argyle's program. Now add the past 9 seasons to the equation and you get Argyle's total record thru the years.......169-35 in 14 seasons......an 83% winning percentage all time.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Of course Todd Rodgers is not only the Head Coach in football for Argyle, but the Athletic Director for all sports. He's managed to divide his time and direct his energies toward building a highly successful total athletic program in every sport at Argyle thru these past 14 yrs. I think Argyle has won the Lone Star Cup for 9 yrs straight and 12 times in different classifications in its history......so that speaks volumes right there for its competitiveness thru the years regardless of the competition and classification. Success within the classification has everything to do with who is scheduled to build the teams into contenders each season.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Celina was indeed bumped up to Division I, along with Melissa. This is going to be a nasty district in a nasty/loaded Region II.

So Clearman is going to be the QB then, huh? I had heard from several people that the move-in from SLC (Martindale) would be the signal caller, and they'd be using Clearman in other places. But, I reckon those people were speaking out of turn.

From the sound of your post, regal, it certainly seems like Argyle is loaded for bear again this year. But no Copeland is a big loss. Clearman is good, no question, but he is not Copeland. Not having Don Williams in the backfield will be felt, too. I suspect Lang will have a great year, but not having the 1-2 punch with him and Williams will make things different. And then if Dixon and Carter are definitely out, then the Eagles will be strapped for some youngsters to step up and fill in some big shoes.

At any rate, I expect Argyle to be really good again and in the conversation for a district title, region title and state title. But they play a pretty nasty schedule, and the district slate will be more difficult than it has been in the past few years.

Hey......this could be the case regarding Clearman. He's a very valuable and athletic player regardless of the position he plays.....and he is highly capable of playing many different positions. You just never know what the coaches will do to slot the players into the best position for the overall good of the team to strengthen certain areas......with any player as the season progresses......not just Clearman.

Dawgs
07-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Regaleagle reminds me a lot of cowboyandchrist. They could be brothers, lol. Both great guys, but huge homers.

regaleagle
07-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Of course......why would you expect anything different??? Somebody has to be that guy to throw eggs at.....I guess I elected myself, LOL. Not particularly partial to rotten eggs, but I can be quick enough to dodge most of them.

orange machine
07-25-2018, 02:36 AM
Of course Todd Rodgers is not only the Head Coach in football for Argyle, but the Athletic Director for all sports. He's managed to divide his time and direct his energies toward building a highly successful total athletic program in every sport at Argyle thru these past 14 yrs. I think Argyle has won the Lone Star Cup for 9 yrs straight and 12 times in different classifications in its history......so that speaks volumes right there for its competitiveness thru the years regardless of the competition and classification. Success within the classification has everything to do with who is scheduled to build the teams into contenders each season.

I will agree that Roger's has done a tremendous job at Argyle, but he has had a lot of help because of location. Argyle has reaped the benefits sitting smack dab in the middle of school district such as Flower Mound, Denton, North West and it sounds like SLC. Again that's not to diminish what Roger's has done, but it's way easier to be good when your pulling kids in from 6a school districts.

orange machine
07-25-2018, 02:47 AM
Playing Stephenville, La Vega, and LE in predistrict should only season some of the younger players for a playoff run later......looks like a pretty good schedule for Argyle if they really want to beat the best this season.

Or get them beat up. Playing a schedule like Argyles is a double edged sword. If you win the games and stay healthy your probably on your way to a title and the coach looks great . If you get injured and lose players and those games then the coach looks like an idiot.

I'm all about having a tough schedule, but not one that your gonna be in a dog fight almost every game. You cant help your district schedule, but I've always felt the best non district schedule is to play one or two games your gonna win, one game that's gonna challenge you most of the game. Then play a slobber knocker.

regaleagle
07-25-2018, 04:02 AM
Looks to me like there's a movement with some of the more established programs in 4A D1 to move to a more stringent schedule in predistrict. There's quite a few schools with very tough schedules this season.....not just Argyle. And maybe it wasn't easy for Argyle to schedule some of the teams they wanted, so they had to opt for certain ones that would schedule a game with them. Injuries are gonna happen in football at all levels......you just hope you can keep them to a controlled minimum and protect the players as much as possible. But you certainly can't change your philosophy based on whether or not injuries will cause a problem.

jason
07-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Looks to me like there's a movement with some of the more established programs in 4A D1 to move to a more stringent schedule in predistrict. There's quite a few schools with very tough schedules this season.....not just Argyle. And maybe it wasn't easy for Argyle to schedule some of the teams they wanted, so they had to opt for certain ones that would schedule a game with them. Injuries are gonna happen in football at all levels......you just hope you can keep them to a controlled minimum and protect the players as much as possible. But you certainly can't change your philosophy based on whether or not injuries will cause a problem.
When nobody will play the top teams, they have to play each other or they won't have any games. In Stephenville's case - being in a 5 team district hasn't helped - having to find 6 games is very difficult because your 6th non district game falls during when most teams have already started district play.

d0tc0m
07-25-2018, 11:45 AM
I will agree that Roger's has done a tremendous job at Argyle, but he has had a lot of help because of location. Argyle has reaped the benefits sitting smack dab in the middle of school district such as Flower Mound, Denton, North West and it sounds like SLC. Again that's not to diminish what Roger's has done, but it's way easier to be good when your pulling kids in from 6a school districts.

This just helps with year-to-year consistency. It doesn't guarantee success, and it certainly doesn't guarantee a winning culture. That's what I think is so great about what Rogers has done — same thing G.A. Moore and Butch Ford did at Celina — in building and maintaining a winning culture. Success breeds success, and that's evident throughout Argyle's athletic and academic programs.

d0tc0m
07-25-2018, 11:49 AM

There's a lot of parity at this level — far more than there used to be at the mid-tier to lower-tier classifications. There's a very fine line that separates the truly great/elite teams, so if you want to be prepared for a heavyweight fight, you better have some heavyweight training in your back pocket. That's why you see the big dogs scheduling pre-district throw downs with other big dogs.

But, I will agree a bit with OM and say a full slate of slobberknockers in pre-district — especially if you already have a difficult district — could overtax a program that is on the cusp of being in the title discussion but may not come out on the other side with enough depth to make a run.

Dawgs
07-25-2018, 12:39 PM
I think more schools are following the model Surratt laid out. Stop worrying about going 10-0. Play tough teams. Find out who your players are. Get the guys experience against top competition. The trick that I think some teams might not be smart enough to except is to use pre-district as a learning experience. Don’t be afraid to lose games. And DO NOT get your best players hurt. Your proven weapons need about a half of hard play a game. At the max 3 quarters a couple of times. You cannot play all out to win in pre-district for 5 straight games. Does Surratt try to win every game. Yes! But he will not risk his best players to do it. Plus he finds the best role players, who will be his next stars in years to come. Rarely do the players that start the season, finish as the starters. By the time district rolls around, the team will look totally different than the team that started the 1st game.

Dawgs
07-25-2018, 12:47 PM
But schedule like this at your own peril. Look at LE. They schedule up every year. And finish the season 7-6 or something like that. The chickens came home to roost in 2014 for Carthage. Lost a team full of 3 year starters, and then started off the season 1-5. It’s tough to play a schedule like that.

oldtownag
07-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Regaleagle reminds me a lot of cowboyandchrist. They could be brothers, lol. Both great guys, but huge homers.

No way. Regaleagle is just a homer like the rest of us. C&C is a little over the top even for message boards.

Wayne
07-27-2018, 08:18 PM
I think it depends on Argyle staying healthy.

cowboyandchrist
07-27-2018, 09:27 PM
No way. Regaleagle is just a homer like the rest of us. C&C is a little over the top even for message boards.

Thank you Oldtonag, I don't mind being over the top when it comes to the Dawgs. Especially when I am right on what I post. So far I have been right six times out of ten.
This year I see six maybe eight teams with a legit shot at the championship, BUT I believe the Dawgs will have a good chance at the three Pete.
Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!
God Bless Coaches, Players, and Fans.

Dawgs
07-27-2018, 11:53 PM
I think it depends on Argyle staying healthy.
Man RII is a crap shoot. I agree Argyle needs to stay healthy. They haven’t the last couple years and had early exits. But it’s still such a stacked region I don’t know how you can pick a favorite. I think whoever has that lucky bounce will be the team to come out. All the other regions are weak compared to that one. Even my beloved RIII.

Twirling Time
08-03-2018, 06:25 PM
I'd watch out for Melissa to win this district. They're loaded with extreme talent and on the fast track to 5A.

Celina is a hard No. 3 in this district. The transfers they used to get from the Metroplex are now moseying nine miles north to a smaller school.

orange machine
08-03-2018, 06:40 PM
I'd watch out for Melissa to win this district. They're loaded with extreme talent and on the fast track to 5A.

Celina is a hard No. 3 in this district. The transfers they used to get from the Metroplex are now moseying nine miles north to a smaller school.

I wouldn't count Paris out of the 3rd place spot. They seem to always be in the middle of everything. I do think however that Melissa, Celina Argyle and Paris are almost a lock for the playoffs.

d0tc0m
08-04-2018, 07:43 AM

We never got as many transfers as people liked to think.

But, I think you're right about Melissa. To me, they're the favorite to win this district. They are stacked from top-to-bottom on both sides of the ball. And they're STILL young. You can never count Argyle out, though, especially if they're as good as what regal has said in this post. I'm not certain they'll be that good, just because losing Copeland and Williams is going to hurt. But their offensive line may be good enough to carry them through the early portion of the schedule.

For Celina, I think they'll be much better than last year. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them upset either Argyle or Melissa. Moving Ross from QB to receiver/athlete, I think, is going to pay big dividends. And the defense is going to have some absolute playmakers. Going to be a fun season in this district and postseason, for sure.

regaleagle
08-04-2018, 07:42 PM
One thing is for sure.......the players get thru these very hot 2-a-days better nowadays with the rules and are in better shape coming in than in the old days. The off-season programs have really helped the players in so many ways to be better and ready starting off the season. These first couple of games it should be very hot on the field......hopefully not much cramping and injuries will occur if the players are ready and in top condition. The heat is really fierce.

orange machine
08-05-2018, 12:20 AM
We never got as many transfers as people liked to think.

But, I think you're right about Melissa. To me, they're the favorite to win this district. They are stacked from top-to-bottom on both sides of the ball. And they're STILL young. You can never count Argyle out, though, especially if they're as good as what regal has said in this post. I'm not certain they'll be that good, just because losing Copeland and Williams is going to hurt. But their offensive line may be good enough to carry them through the early portion of the schedule.

For Celina, I think they'll be much better than last year. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them upset either Argyle or Melissa. Moving Ross from QB to receiver/athlete, I think, is going to pay big dividends. And the defense is going to have some absolute playmakers. Going to be a fun season in this district and postseason, for sure.

I agree moving Ross makes Celinas offense much better, he and Point could make a pretty dangerous pair.

Twirling Time
08-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Melissa gets Argyle home in Week 9.

Celina, though, gets both Melissa and Argyle at home. That's where the story will be told.

Caveman
08-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Melissa gets Argyle home in Week 9.

Celina, though, gets both Melissa and Argyle at home. That's where the story will be told.

Here's an interesting piece of news: Hayden Clearman, last year's QB, is on the roster as a DB and Hunter Martindale and Bo Hogeboom are in a battle for the Starting QB spot. I don't know if these two are new move-ins but I've never heard of them. They are also inserting a new offensive scheme with new offensive coach Tate Wallis who was at Baylor. This is going to be an interesting season. They just keep reloading.

Celina8
08-07-2018, 08:35 AM
I don't have enough information to offer much insight of any of these teams and since after 42 years of growing up in Celina and now moved I really don't know any of the kids who play . My thoughts on football thought always starts with the offensive line and the defense. Which ever team has the best combination of those two in my humble opinion will win out between the other two teams .

Wayne
08-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Clearman is moving back to DB. Hogeboom was on the JV squad most of last year. Martin dale is a move in from SLC

Dawgs
08-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Argyle gets some move-ins. Last year the QB moved in as a senior. This year another move-in from SLC? Argyle is fortunate to be in an area with a lot of talent, and also have an awesome program and school that kids want to play for and attend.

d0tc0m
08-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Here's an interesting piece of news: Hayden Clearman, last year's QB, is on the roster as a DB and Hunter Martindale and Bo Hogeboom are in a battle for the Starting QB spot. I don't know if these two are new move-ins but I've never heard of them. They are also inserting a new offensive scheme with new offensive coach Tate Wallis who was at Baylor. This is going to be an interesting season. They just keep reloading.

This was my question for Regal earlier in the post. I knew Martindale moved in. Haven't heard of the other young man, but I suspect it will be the SLC boy slinging the pigskin around this year. This is probably a good move, as Clearman will be pretty solid in the secondary on defense. I imagine they can still utilize him, offensively, too, if needed.

What's the word on Argyle's new scheme? What are they moving to this season?

Caveman
08-08-2018, 01:29 PM
This was my question for Regal earlier in the post. I knew Martindale moved in. Haven't heard of the other young man, but I suspect it will be the SLC boy slinging the pigskin around this year. This is probably a good move, as Clearman will be pretty solid in the secondary on defense. I imagine they can still utilize him, offensively, too, if needed.

What's the word on Argyle's new scheme? What are they moving to this season?

Argyle has a big, mean, nasty O line anchored by an OSU commit and a running back that loves contact. With a slinger in the backfield and a great group of WR's I suspect we're going spread.

Dawgs
08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Argyle has a big, mean, nasty O line anchored by an OSU commit and a running back that loves contact. With a slinger in the backfield and a great group of WR's I suspect we're going spread.

Carthage has the same. Would love to se that matchup. Our O-Line is gonna be anchored by Ty’Kiest Crawford who just vomited to Baylor as an incoming junior. Tough senior RB who looks for contact. That would be fun o watch each offense trying to impose their wil.

But I do wonder why run the spread when you are dominant up front? Carthage will spend a lot of time this year in 22 and 12 personnel. Put 2 TE our therr, get under center, and pound the damn rock. If you watch Ingram’s senior highlights, 90% of the big runs had 2 TE. A lot also had a FB. QB under center. Spread is cool, but one of the reasons Carthage has dominated teams is become hey line up in pro-sets.

Speaking of O-Lines, I have seen where LH is going to be really good up front.

Aesculus gilmus
08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Our O-Line is gonna be anchored by Ty’Kiest Crawford who just vomited to Baylor

He projectile vomited 170 miles??? That is some talent right there.

Dawgs
08-08-2018, 10:10 PM
He projectile vomited 170 miles??? That is some talent right there.

Lol!! Dang auto correct!

I just re-read that post. Good lord there was some terrible spelling. Don’t know what I was doing!

regaleagle
08-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Hogeboom was a soph. qb on the varsity roster last season......he's not related to Hogeboom the Cowboys ex-qb......just the same name. The kid has some size and has done the work......I think he's a junior this season. He saw some sporadic action last season when the games were well in hand, and looks like he has some good tools. Martindale was a junior last season on the team and played some qb at the JV level. Both of these players have been in Argyle for several years now......not newbies or move-ins. I think it makes sense to try to bring along Hogeboom this season with Martindale and Clearman being seniors. Clearman is clearly a valuable asset in the secondary......pardon the pun. He's very athletic and can be slotted anywhere the coaches need him.....on offense or defense......good move IMO. I thnk I remember Martindale playing on the defensive side of the ball and on some special teams last season. Clearman was the backup qb and Hogeboom the backup to the backup last season.

regaleagle
08-08-2018, 11:39 PM
I'm guessing that you will see Argyle running multiple offensive sets with the skill players they have on the team this season. Some of these players can play a number of positions on offense very effectively.......so I don't think Argyle will be lacking at the rb position. Lots of quality in the receiving corps for sure......if the qb turns out to be a real threat running and passing it. Hogeboom does have some experience at SS on defense, so he has some speed and moves. Not sure if the coaching staff will let him run it.....or just have him directing the action and throwing it. Not sure about Martindale's full skill set yet either......we'll find out shortly. Both of these players saw limited minutes last season on the varsity compared to the starters. But when you win every game scoring lots of points.....limited action at Argyle is akin to lots of action on other teams......so both have some seasoning playing against varsity starters.

orange machine
08-09-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing that you will see Argyle running multiple offensive sets with the skill players they have on the team this season. Some of these players can play a number of positions on offense very effectively.......so I don't think Argyle will be lacking at the rb position. Lots of quality in the receiving corps for sure......if the qb turns out to be a real threat running and passing it. Hogeboom does have some experience at SS on defense, so he has some speed and moves. Not sure if the coaching staff will let him run it.....or just have him directing the action and throwing it. Not sure about Martindale's full skill set yet either......we'll find out shortly. Both of these players saw limited minutes last season on the varsity compared to the starters. But when you win every game scoring lots of points.....limited action at Argyle is akin to lots of action on other teams......so both have some seasoning playing against varsity starters.

Didn't celinas jv bday argyles last year?

Old Tiger
08-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Didn't celinas jv bday argyles last year?

I believe so. It was also rumored to be very festive and I even heard there was a piñata

orange machine
08-09-2018, 11:19 AM
I believe so. It was also rumored to be very festive and I even heard there was a piñata

Lmao beat Haha

d0tc0m
08-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Lmao beat Haha

Yes, they did. Celina's JV was very good last year.

regaleagle
08-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Hogeboom and Martindale were varsity players last season.....not on the JV.

regaleagle
08-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Here's some more good news for this season's Eagles......Seniors Dillon Carter and Brandon White will be back on the football field this year. Carter was an all-district selection in his soph season in 2016 in the secondary with 2 interceptions and 52 tackles......5th on the team. Now he's geared for an even better season after sitting out in 2017 with a verbal in baseball to TCU. Brandon White is a 6'6 starter and leader on the basketball team, but played as a wideout his freshman season before breaking his wrist. He's been concentrating on basketball the past two seasons, but has opted to play his senior year with the football team and will use his height, hands, and leaping ability to catch passes for the Eagles this season. Both players are welcome additions back to the team this season, and the coaches are all fired up for a great season.

regaleagle
08-23-2018, 08:18 PM
Carter was also the full-time punter on the team in 2016, and will assume those duties again this year. He was selected as the all-district punter in 2016 as well. Carter also played some quarterback in his soph season, and is very capable of playing receiver like his older brother did for the Eagles. He has excelled in baseball as a top pick as a center fielder on Argyle's National Championship Baseball team last season. I fully expect to see both of these talented athletes play a very important role for the team this season......in whatever positions they are slotted.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Watching the Argyle Grapevine scrimmage. Argyle is real good and the oline is big, but I thought they would be better. They dont run block very good. They do pass block good, but grapevine is killing Argyles running backs.

Argyle has no deep threat and wants to throw the ball short to within 15 yards.

Number 70 for Argyle on the oline is a pretty dirty player. I've seen him 3 times now cheap shot a grapevine player. He just got a 15 yard penalty.

Argyle is gonna make the money on defense, they fly to the ball and are good run stoppers, but if you have a good passing game and a deep threat Argyle looks like they will be in a little trouble. Argyles secondary isnt very fast either.

Overall they appear to be a good team in mid season form, but they are not world beaters. In saying that you gonna have to play your A game to beat them.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Grapevine just wore Argyles defense out passing the ball for a td drive.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Argyle won live at 21 to 7.

Argyle is a good team and looks to be in mid season form which you would expect from a mostly senior team. They can make a run.

Caveman
08-24-2018, 10:33 PM
Argyle won live at 21 to 7.

Argyle is a good team and looks to be in mid season form which you would expect from a mostly senior team. They can make a run.

Don't forget Grapevine is a former 6a team that's supposed to win it's district. How many 4a teams could beat this team as handily as they did tonight?

regaleagle
08-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Argyle's O-line is still not in form yet......not a team or blocking unit on the runs. They do pass block very well. Argyle's secondary intercepted 2 passes, and got burned on one long ball. The Grapevine speedster wideout would burn any D-back on any team as long as the qb could get him the ball......he's a definitive threat when he catches one......you cannot match up with him in the open field and will not catch him from behind. Other than that guy and a tall #14 at qb that can really throw it well......Argyle outplayed Grapevine in every category. Argyle's O-line will need some time to come together, but still opened a few holes for both rb's to break some long runs. Maybe those LB's for Grapevine and their D-Line should get some credit. Denison last week was not nearly as effective on the lines as Grapevine was. Grapevine went 9-3 last season in D1 5A playoffs. Dillon Carter looked good tonite for not having any practice behind him. He will definitely be a force in the secondary. Brendan Dixon intercepted one also. Overall, this scrimmage gave both teams some looks and play they both needed. Lots of room for improvement on both sides......both teams have some talent. Both teams are playoff contenders for a regional title, IMO. The qb's for Argyle did not disappoint.....again. I can imagine watching this team at the start of district play......they will be much improved by then.

regaleagle
08-24-2018, 11:10 PM
On a side note......I was not very impressed with all the high and low snaps from the Argyle center. He will definitely need to improve in the long snap category.....he needs more consistency to help out the qbs for a smoother offensive transition. That little thing would vastly improve the way the offense clicks.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 11:12 PM
Dave Campbell has them picked to place 3rd. I was kinda surprised at how small Grapevine was and the lack of skilled players.

regaleagle
08-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Dave Campbell has them picked to place 3rd. I was kinda surprised at how small Grapevine was and the lack of skilled players.

You and me both.......Denison has bigger players overall. But Grapevine does have some skill players and a good run defense. I like their D-line play and LB's. Their secondary needs lots of work. Their qbs were good, but their O-line looked weak against the Argyle D. They have some speedsters at the skill positions, but depend too much on those players to make the plays without much blocking support. I'm pretty sure there are at least 6 teams in 4A D1 that can play with Grapevine no problem......maybe more. The fact is simple......there are some really good teams in 4A D1 this year. Grapevine's enrollment is 1880......Argyle's is 854......go figure.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Argyle is really good that's for sure, but I'm interested to see how they do against teams with speed and a qb that can actually run the ball. I didnt think Argyle was all that fast. Argyle did a good job at run stopping, but seemed to struggle stopping the passing game. Overall i think the defense is Argyles strong part. A fast defense is gonna be able to stop a lot of those short passes to the sidelines and all the yac yards.

Saying all that Argyle is definitely a top 5 team and gonna be a handful for any team.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 11:32 PM
You and me both.......Denison has bigger players overall. But Grapevine does have some skill players and a good run defense. I like their D-line play and LB's. Their secondary needs lots of work. Their qbs were good, but their O-line looked weak against the Argyle D. They have some speedsters at the skill positions, but depend too much on those players to make the plays without much blocking support. I'm pretty sure there are at least 6 teams in 4A D1 that can play with Grapevine no problem......maybe more. The fact is simple......there are some really good teams in 4A D1 this year. Grapevine's enrollment is 1880......Argyle's is 854......go figure.

I agree and disagree lol. I didnt think Grapevine had many good skilled kids, but they did rely to much on making the big play. When Argyke brought the house Grapevine had no answer. Not having a running qb killed Grapevine. As for teams in 4a beating Grapevine, I dont think Grapevine would be a top 10 team in 4a dl. 4a dl is a juggernaut this year. I think the top 15 in 4a dl all have a shot.

orange machine
08-24-2018, 11:35 PM
Also Argyle is so fundamentally sound, they do everything good which helps make up for speed and strength.

regaleagle
08-24-2018, 11:37 PM
Argyle is really good that's for sure, but I'm interested to see how they do against teams with speed and a qb that can actually run the ball. I didnt think Argyle was all that fast. Argyle did a good job at run stopping, but seemed to struggle stopping the passing game. Overall i think the defense is Argyles strong part. A fast defense is gonna be able to stop a lot of those short passes to the sidelines and all the yac yards.

Saying all that Argyle is definitely a top 5 team and gonna be a handful for any team.

Yep.....I agree with you on your analysis at this juncture, OM. I can see some areas that need some shoring up on both sides of the ball, but overall I also know the Argyle coaching staff will be working diligently to get those areas tightened up. It's not like these players are out of position or don't have what it takes to be solid.....they just need some work and minutes again......they are rusty. It's very early in the season and some good teams are coming to town. Next week should tell us alot more about how far along Argyle is at this juncture. In the Live part of the scrimmage Argyle looked much better.....did you notice the difference?

orange machine
08-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Yep.....I agree with you on your analysis at this juncture, OM. I can see some areas that need some shoring up on both sides of the ball, but overall I also know the Argyle coaching staff will be working diligently to get those areas tightened up. It's not like these players are out of position or don't have what it takes to be solid.....they just need some work and minutes again......they are rusty. It's very early in the season and some good teams are coming to town. Next week should tell us alot more about how far along Argyle is at this juncture. In the Live part of the scrimmage Argyle looked much better.....did you notice the difference?

After Grapevine scored the td kn the live qt it was like the DC scew this and just brought everybody to rush the QB which screwed up Grapevines offense. That's why I said I'm interested to see how Argyle does against a qb that can run.

I think the bigger test for Argyle will be La Vega more so than Stephenville. La Vega will have speed everywhere.

regaleagle
08-25-2018, 09:23 AM
So will Liberty Eylau the next week in Sulphur Springs.....maybe even moreso than La Vega. But that's a few weeks away. Argyle has never had the speediest players on the gridiron, but have always managed to do well against teams with lots of speedsters. Just win......that's the main thing......regardless of how you get it done. Paris usually has a couple of speedy players too.......at rb and wideout.......and usually a bruiser rb too, but Argyle has always managed to win against them also. Gilmer always had some speedy skill players and Argyle did not let that get in the way.....they contained those players. Anytime you play a team that has one or two players with breakaway speed......at least one of those guys is probably gonna get at least one score. But I don't think it will happen all night against Argyle. Wichita Falls Hirschi had speed to burn last season, but Argyle won that contest too.

regaleagle
08-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Last night against Grapevine, they had one rb with tons of speed and a bigger guy outside with speed and all the moves. I'm not sure there was any scouting report or preparation done ahead of time for these players to contain those guys.....it was just a scrimmage where the coaches were kind of making adjustments with the players on the spot. In a real gametime scenario.....the players will have an entire week to prepare for that team specifically. This time of the year the coaches are more concerned with the basics and getting the players accustomed to playing their positions with different offensive and defensive calls made......not what the opposing team will be doing. They make those adjustments during the scrimmage, and that's why you see so many mistakes being made.

regaleagle
08-25-2018, 09:53 AM
I think these scrimmages give the fairweather local fan a snapshot look at what kind of personnel and look the team will have going forward, and that's about it. When the Live part of the scrimmage happens, you tend to get the real flavor of what to expect from the starters. In between all of of that, we see all kinds of combinations being put on the field so that the coaches can measure their players better to make some decisions and to see what kind of potential any given players will have in a gametime scenario. Some players do better in real gametime action than they do in practices, and vice versa. It's a teaching clinic and a time for ongoing evaluations by the staff in preparation for the start of the season......and then to carry that forward from there. At least.....that's basically how it's done at Argyle. Perhaps at some other schools it's done differently, depending on the circumstances and ingredients involved.

regaleagle
08-25-2018, 10:28 AM
i think this explains why You and I have different perspectives on what we saw last night......and some of the same thoughts as well.

orange machine
08-25-2018, 11:05 AM
i think this explains why You and I have different perspectives on what we saw last night......and some of the same thoughts as well.

Regardless Argyle appears to be good, how good who knows. We all will find out shortly.

Wayne
08-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Vanilla on offense for sure. I think they ran the same same 5 plays all night long. Don’t want to give to much away this early with a big game to open the season with. Offensive line is big but needs a little more work on run blocking. I believe they will be just fine. Had Stephenville scouts sitting near me and they were saying it was a waste of time being there. Said Argyle wasn’t giving anything away. Argyle coaches 1 Stephenville scouts 0

Caveman
08-25-2018, 04:26 PM
I remember players lamenting about Vince Lombardi's offense "we know what their going to run, we just can't stop it." it was a very simple system that they ran to perfection. Erk Russell at the University of Georgia once answered a reporter's question about his simple offensive philosophy and why his teams passed so little. His response was "well sir, I'll tell ya, three things can happen when you throw the football and two of them are bad. I like my odds a lot better when I keep the ball on the ground. I like simple.

regaleagle
08-25-2018, 04:55 PM
I've been watching Argyle play for 14 seasons......the whole enchilada......and I can tell ya for sure. Coach Rodgers and his staff know what they are doing. This team has plenty in the tank nobody has seen yet. Of course they look a little less dominating during the scrimmages......they are not hitting on all cylinders yet and don't have everybody at their slotted positions yet. The fog will disappear soon and then the real Argyle Eagle football team will emerge for this season.

Wayne
08-25-2018, 06:10 PM
That’s what I love about Eagle Football! Actually pretty excited about the season as well as the opener next week against the Yellow Jackets.

Tejastrue
08-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Holy crap. It's a frickin scrimmage folks! Carry on. Lol

speedbump
08-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Holy crap. It's a frickin scrimmage folks! Carry on. Lol

And clearly stopping the slot t, was far from the top priority for the MF coaching staff.

orange machine
08-25-2018, 09:35 PM
A big good dline could present some problems for Argyles oline. The only lineman that I consistently saw getting push on run plays was the rt. Now on pass plays the oline was like a brick wall, nothing was getting in.

Tejastrue
08-25-2018, 11:52 PM
And clearly stopping the slot t, was far from the top priority for the MF coaching staff.

At this stage..I'd say no. I can only talk about Wimberley scrimmages. We'd be 0 for a gazillion if we predicted the season based on scrimmage results.

regaleagle
08-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Just announced yesterday.....QB Bo Hogeboom won the starting job over Hunter Martindale in the qb competition. You can read the article in the Denton Record Chronicle at DentonRC.com. Go to Sports, then click on High Schools then click Argyle.

Wayne
08-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Can’t wait to see this Argyle offense open it up.

Caveman
08-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Sorry guys, I', not on the bandwagon with this one. I had a chance to watch both scrimmages and I though Martindale was the better QB. I don't think Hogeboom will last the whole game against Stephenville. IMO

regaleagle
08-29-2018, 03:40 AM
I'm sure there was some extensive evaluation that went into making the selection. Those coaches know some stuff we don't know. If Hogeboom doesn't perform up to standards, then Martindale will be available if needed.

d0tc0m
08-29-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm sure there was some extensive evaluation that went into making the selection. Those coaches know some stuff we don't know. If Hogeboom doesn't perform up to standards, then Martindale will be available if needed.

How similar are the two QBs, as far as skill sets go?

Caveman
08-29-2018, 02:54 PM
How similar are the two QBs, as far as skill sets go?

Here's my take, for what it's worth. Martindale throws a better ball, he has a longer arm, and he looks for his second reads. It was obvious that the coaches told both boys not to run the ball so that may be where rubber meets the road. It could be that Hogeboom is speedier and more elusive. It could also be that he's a junior and they'd like to have him around for two years with experience. But strictly from a passing perspective I would have given the ball to Martindale.

clcannon17
08-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Hard to predict. Im sure Argyle's season will be fantastic, but with a region as loaded as this, they could go anywhere from a state championship to an early exit in the playoffs.
If I was a betting man though, I'd put my money on Argyle.

regaleagle
09-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Just counting the final numbers now......Argyle has suited 58 on the Varsity, 70 on the JV and JV Red teams, and 51 on the Freshman team this season. That looks like a healthy 179 players.....or thereabouts if one or two were missing. Also a coaching staff for football of 14......just to let you know for comparison. Argyle's official enrollment was 854......or should we be calling it an "unofficial, but counted" enrollment, LOL.

Twirling Time
09-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Just counting the final numbers now......Argyle has suited 58 on the Varsity, 70 on the JV and JV Red teams, and 51 on the Freshman team this season. That looks like a healthy 179 players.....or thereabouts if one or two were missing. Also a coaching staff for football of 14......just to let you know for comparison. Argyle's official enrollment was 854......or should we be calling it an "unofficial, but counted" enrollment, LOL.

As someone who's seen 4A schools turn out triple-digit kids over the years, yes, that is impressive, but I've grown less impressed with numbers of players out for football. Can those kids really play, or are their daddies just making them turn out to make them men, or is peer pressure such that they feel compelled to turn out?

Kids who can actually play and provide depth are the coin of the realm and Argyle appears to have it in spades.