PDA

View Full Version : 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie, Scotland

regaleagle
07-19-2018, 01:52 AM
They call it Carnasty because it's the most difficult of all the Open courses. Yep.....it's 1:30 am CDT here and I'm up watching the opening groups of the opening round of this year's Open Championship. I noticed they don't call it the British Open anymore......most of the venues are in the cradle of golf.....Scotland. The oldest tournament in golf and the oldest sport being competitively played still today.......all kinds of history and tradition in this sport. Very difficult game, but a great game for any individual to test his skills against the course and the elements. What can I say.......I'm addicted for a lifetime to this game, folks. I'm not gonna go into the details this week like I did a couple of weeks ago with the US OPEN........there's just too much to cover in this oldest Championship of the oldest sport still being played today. Let's just watch the action and make some posts when we want during this week's 4-day coverage. The play by play just about caused me to get cabin fever a couple of weeks ago, LOL.......I'm not really an indoors kind of guy for that kind of extended time. I'd never be able to live in a cold climate......I'd go stir crazy the first month. No telling who will win this week......the conditions are weird for Scotland this time of year.

BTW.......the family heritage on my father's side is almost full Scottish with a Family Crest and Shield and a village in Scotland that carries our family name. My ancestors were farmers and golfers......I wonder if they played with cows on the course, LOL.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Looks like the #1, 2, and 5 players in the golf world did not make the cut......Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, and John Rahm from Spain. That's how they were ranked coming into tournament, but the rankings could change a little after this tournament.....just depends on whether some other top golfers like Jordan Speith or Justin Rose, or Rory McIlroy can win it. Rose barely made the cutline at +3......that was the cutline. Speith and Rickie Fowler are at -3, and McIlory is at -4. This is Mac's home turf.....he's from Scotland. Tony Finau is back at it having another good major at -5. Seems like the flat swingers are doing good......Zack Johnson's at -6 and Matt Kucher....last year's runner up to Speith....is at -4. Kevin Kisner was the first round leader, but double bogeyed the 18th today to drop back into a tie for the lead with Zack Johnson at -6. Lots of golfers bunched up near the lead for Saturday's "moving day".

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:27 AM
Tommy Fleetwood of England is back near the lead again this week at -5, and so is rookie American phemom Xander Shauffele. Tiger Woods made the cut at +2, but missed a short 7 footer for birdie on 18 to shoot another 71 today. Still anybody's tournament to win with so many golfers bunched up near the lead. The lead is at -6 and the cutline is at +3, so only 10 strokes difference from top to bottom with 2 rounds left.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:35 AM
If the weather becomes dicey and that wind starts blowing this weekend......there will be some big changes in the leaderboard, for sure. Driving is at a premium this week, the landing areas are not that wide and there's tall heather off the fairways. The fairways are lightning fast and crispy.....bad bounces and the wind could play havoc to tee shots this weekend. Then there's those pot bunkers in the fairways......they are deep and tough to hit out of.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:39 AM
I kinda like the flat swingers in this one......Zack Johnson and Matt Kucher. Look out for Fleetwood too.....he's been having a career year and shot the only clean round today without a bogey. 43 y.o. California native Pat Perez is having a great tournament too.....he's also among the leaders at -5. Don't count out Rory McIlroy either......this is his home country and he feels very "at home" playing here.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:53 AM
Looks like Tiger, Phil Mickelson and Jason Day all sit at Even par......earlier I said Tiger was a +2, but that's wrong. Even Bernhard Langer from the Senior Tour made the cut at +2 this year. Should be worth the watch this weekend to see all the big names still in this one.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking donuts for tomorrow morning......and some chocolate milk. Shame on me!! But Yum Yum, Huh? All things in moderation.....as long as you don't overdo it. I'll "moderately" scarf down some serious donuts tomorrow, LOL.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Here's an easy recipe for your own "home-made" donuts. Just get a roll of Grands Country Style bisquits, not the flaky ones. Cut out a hole in the middle with a cap off one of your salad dressings in the frig....or if you have a donut cutter that's even better. About a half inch of vegetable oil in the cast iron skillet over low heat should do it. Be ready to turn them over in only a couple of minutes. Make the icing with lots of powdered sugar and just a very small amount of milk.....you have to really stir and work with it to get just the right thickness. Too thin and it runs off the donuts. Have the icing ready to go when the donuts are done.....make it in a large shallow bowl, preferably with a wide flat bottom. Dip one side into the bowl of icing and then set them on a platter. The left over icing you can keep handy to dip your donuts in if you want more icing on each bite. My son and I love these tasty delights of heavenly bliss. I can only eat 3 of them.....seriously!! Milk alongside is highly recommended, but water will help offset the sugar.

A small amount a milk means a VERY small amount of milk for the icing.....just enough to turn it into liquid form. Then stir the heck out of it and add more powdered sugar to get the right amount and consistency.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 02:30 AM
The simple things in life like home-made donuts out of the bisquit can should always be on everybody's short list of sinful breakfast menus, LOL. Now you have no excuse to enjoy one of life's simple pleasures......I gave you an easy recipe anybody can do.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 02:45 AM
I just had a brainstorm thought......I was wondering if perhaps the orange liquer we use with the margaritas would make a tasty substitute instead of milk for the icing. I'll have to try that out and see if they taste orangy.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Justin Rose of England....the world's #3 golfer in the standings this week.....just shot a 7 under par today w/no bogeys on his card for a perfect round of golf. He started the day just making the cutline at +3, and now he has climbed up that leaderboard on Saturday's "moving day. Justin Rose is on the leaderboard now and in the clubhouse at -4. He's got only Sunday's round left and will be paired much higher and later in tomorrow's teetimes.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Looks like the early teetimes today have gotten the benefit of a very docile wind condition and weather to play this course. The wind may begin to blow more as the leaders begin their rounds.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 07:40 AM
BTW.......the donuts are on the platter and 3 of them already missing......Yum Yum. You get 8 of them and 8 donut holes in one can of Grands Bisquits.:inlove::wave:

jason
07-21-2018, 08:03 AM
McIlory is at -4. This is Mac's home turf.....he's from Scotland.
McIlroy is from Northern Ireland

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Tiger finishes the day with a 5 under 66 and is in definite contention on the leaderboard. Meanwhile......still on the course Jordan Spieth is charging up the leaderboard and is within one shot of the lead that is tied with Kisner and Zack Johnson. Kucher has fallen back today, but Alex Noren has also had a good day.....he's from South Africa. Yeah....Northern Ireland is where Mac is from.....but still very much the same kind of weather and golf courses as Scotland......links style with the wind and cold from the sea.....this time of the year.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Today's weather has not been an issue in this 3rd round.....it's been rather docile. The players have been able to negotiate the course without the wind howling.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Spieth is now tied with Zack Johnson for the lead at 8 under and has hit it within 10 feet of the pin on the par 3. Meanwhile Johnson just hit his 2nd shot from the rough into the deep gorse(shrubbery)......that will be a penalty for sure(lost ball rule). Kucher has a chance at eagle to try to climb back up this leaderboard now.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Spieth is playing ahead up at the 15th.....Kisner and Johnson are playing together and are on hole #11. Johnson's ball just cleared the bushes......he's not in the gorse, but behind it. Not sure if he can play it. Meanwhile Spieth takes the lead with a birdie on 15 to go to 9 under. Mac bombs one off the 14th tee on the 524 yd par 5......he hits it 428 yds.....just unbelievable. Kucher misses his eagle attempt and birdies to go back to 4 under. Johnson hits it on the green on the 11th from behind the gorse.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Zack Johnson will drop back now after this 11th hole.....while Kisner settles for par to remain at 8 under.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Shauffele just misses his eagle putt on 14 to settle for birdie on the 14th and go to 8 under. Mac birdies 14 also to go to 6 under. Zack Johnson has double bogeyed the last 2 holes now to drop down to 5 under......he's 4 back of Spieth and many others now. But he still has the most holes left to play today.....if he birdies a few or eagles one. I think his playing partner Kisner is still only one back at 8 under.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Spieth hits driver on the 18th tee instead of laying up short because of the Barry Burn in front of this green to negotiate. Now he's in the deep heather and must check his lie to decide how to hit his approach. It was a calculated risky shot to pull out driver on this 18th hole....and it bit him. Maybe his lie is good enough that he can still hit it on the green.....we'll see.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Jordan has a good lie.....a big break and only 165 out from the hole. Now the wind has been freshening on the course for the players still playing.....this wind is behind Jordan.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:53 PM
He hits it in the center of the green.....safe but a long way for a birdie. Kuchar putts one in from off the green on 16 to go back to 5 under. McIlroy makes back to back birdies to go to 7 under and Shauffele also birdies to tie the lead at 9 under with Spieth. We have a horse race, folks. I wonder what the weather will be like tomorrow.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Spieth pars the 18th to finish at 9 under and a round of 65 today. He's in the lead so far in the clubhouse, but a few close golfers have a few holes left out on the course. Xander Shauffele is tied at 9 under and Mac is at 7 under. Kevin Chappell was playing with Spieth and birdies the 18th to go to 7 under....he shot a 67 today.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Kisner is still at 8 under and has about 4 holes left. It could go any way for all the golfers still playing.....good or bad. Being finished and in the clubhouse is a good place for Spieth to be. Kisner birdies the par 5 14th to jump into a tie for the lead at 9 under.....Johnson also birdies it to go back to 6 under.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Looks like at the end of the day we should have this leaderboard stacked with lots of golfers within a few strokes of the lead......it's really anybody's tournament to win or lose now.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Jordan Spieth shot a bogey free round of 65 today.....and so far Kisner is also bogey free on his round. All others have had at least one bogey today.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Shauffele bogeys 17 but birdies 18 to finish with a 67 and a tie with Spieth and Kisner for the lead. Kisner is in trouble on the course in the deep rough. He hits it out and advances it up the fairway.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Kisner and Johnson are still on the 17th and Fleetwood is on the 18th.....he's worked himself back up the leaderboard at 5 under with some birdies coming in. The 18th hole can be a birdie hole also with a good drive in the fairway and a good approach shot into this pin. The pin is set back from the front of the green with the wind blowing from the fairway straight to the pin.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Kisner's approach on the 17th was a good one with lots of spin to within 5 feet of the pin to stay at par. Johnson bogeys the 17th and Kisner pars it. Kisner remains bogey free on his round and still has the 18th to play.....he's one behind Spieth and Shauffele at 8 under.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Kisner hits a good one in the fairway on the 18th with the wind behind him......so does Johnson.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:46 PM
The leaders started out the day at 6 under and now the lead is at 9 under. The field has been stretched out a bit, but there are still many, many golfers within just a few shots of the lead. The wind is forecasted to be blowing upwards to 20 mph tomorrow.....and typically blows harder later in the day when the leaders are in the middle of their round.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Kisner's approach catches that wind and releases past the pin, then rolls just over the green on the 18th. He will probably putt it up the slope and try to maintain his par here. That will keep him bogey free for today's round and at 9 under for the tournament....tied with the leaders and 3 under par for his round. Kisner has been very steady so far in this year's OPEN in all 3 rounds.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Kisner hits a very good putt within 2 feet and will par this hole. He's definitely got a good stroke going with that putter, and has been very steady with his driving. Johnson for birdie now, but just misses left. Both players par the 18th to finish today's action. Kisner is in with a tie for the lead and will be paired with Kevin Chappell at 7 under tomorrow in the final round. No one is at 8 under......Shauffele will be paired with Jordan Spieth at 9 under.

regaleagle
07-21-2018, 02:10 PM
So we have Spieth, Shauffele and Kisner all tied for the lead at 9 under, and Kevin Chappell at 7 under......then Francesco Molinari alone at 6 under and a group of 7 players at 5 under, including Tiger Woods who hit the most fairways in regulation today. Then there is another group of 7 players at 4 under.....so all of these players and even a few at 3 under all have a chance to win this year's British Open. Today Carnoustie was not Carnoustie.....it was rather nice......but tomorrow the winds will blow in excess of 20 mph and Carnoustie will become Carnasty again for the final round. Every player within 6 shots of the lead have a chance tomorrow to get a win. Usually, the earlier teetimes will deal with less wind.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 10:50 AM
If you're not watching this in real time, you should really see it on tape. Tiger is in the lead on the final day......one ahead of Jordan and 3 groups ahead of him paired with Molinari of Italy who is tied with Spieth for 2nd. Tiger's in the lead by a stroke.....they have all dropped down today except for Tiger. He's leading at 7 under.....started the day at -5. Spieth is at 6 under, but several groups behind Tiger. The conditions are very windy......not cold.....but windy. McIlroy is tied with Schauffele at -5. They said Shauffele bogeyed 4 of the last 5 holes......I don't know......I was sleeping late and just tuned in.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Anybody's tournament right now.....Tiger is just now on the 11th tee with Molinari. Spieth and Shauffele just parred the 8th.....they are the last group on the final day. McIlroy is lurking close. There are birdie holes on the back nine......so whoever can hit the good drives and follow it with a quality approach to the green.....then make the putt.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Both Tiger and Molinari missed the fairway on their tee shots.....both in the ankle high wispy heather rough. Molinari hits first and finds the very front of the green. It all depends on your lie in that rough. Now Tiger......his lie looks worse......the heather is deeper. NOPE.......goes left, hits off some spectators near the green and carems into some tall fescue. Now Kekvin Chappell birdies and Justin Rose hits the flagstick from the fairway. Kisner pars. McIlroy's approach to the green downwind hits pin high then bounces, and settles just on the topside over the fringe. Lots of action going on here now.....trying to take it all in.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Tiger gives the guy a signed golf ball that was hit with his shot....it didn't hurt him.... it was coming softly out of that tall heather. Now he chips it out of that tall fescue short of the green and is looking at bogey unless he can chip this in. So far Tiger has been bogey free today. Molonari's long putt is within 2 feet.....he'll par it and stay bogey free. Tiger is putting his ball from off the green.....slides it by about 6 feet. He has yet to double bogey at Carnoustie.....but he does now. Tiger drops back to -5 . There are 4 golfers leading this tournament now at 6 under......Spieth, Shauffele, Molonari, and Chappell. Shauffele and Spieth are paired together in the last grouping and just finished the 9th hole. Tiger and Molonari are paired together and just finished the 11th hole.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Rose misses his birdie putt on 13 for a share of the lead. Now Kisner's birdie putt attempt on 11 just slides by for a share of the lead also.....he pars it to remain one back at -5.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Tiger back in the rough on the 12th hole.....NOPE.....the tall rough grabs his club and he doesn't get a good whack on it. Chappell pars the 11th to remain tied for the lead. Molinari's 2nd shot finds the fairway. Shauffele is on the green on the 10th. Rose teeing off on the 16th downwind.....the wind is really blowing. Spieth's chip now runs past the pin with the wind.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:15 AM
The back nine will be playing downwind as the players play in on this final back nine......they are having trouble hitting the fairways and holding their shots close to the pin with the wind pushing the ball and taking the spin off.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Kisner is tied for lead now......5 players now at 6 under.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Now McIlroy eagles the 14th to jump into a tie for the lead with 5 others at -6. Molinari pars again to stay bogey free on the 12th. Tiger bogeys to fall back another shot.....but some birdie holes coming up. Molinari has parred every single hole today in this windy condition.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:23 AM
So we have Spieth, Shauffele, Molinari, Kisner, Chappell, and now McIlroy all tied for the lead at 6 under on this back nine today.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Take your pick.....Molinari hasn't bogeyed yet today. Rose is lurking one back. Tiger is now two back. Shauffele has alot of game.....he's young, strong, and very talented. Spieth is Spieth.....all the talent, but you never know. Spieth misses his birdie putt on the 11th. Kisner out of the pot bunker.....barely. Now a very good chip to the hole. He just wants to make a 5 and par it. Shauffele makes his par putt on 11 to remain at 6 under.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Moliari on the par 3 13th with Tiger.....both trying to scramble for par from off the green with chip shots and now they both have testers for par.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Like I said.....whoever can find the fairway, make a good approach shot, and then a putt coming in. Shauffele and Chappell are steady......McIlroy is dangerously good and long in this wind, and Molinari is playing over his head.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Molinari sinks another putt for par.....not a bogey on the card today. Tiger sinks his putt too. Going to the par 5 14th now. Kisner bogeys to fall one back now.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Kevin Chappell finds the green on the par 3 13th now.....a long putt for par. So does Rose....his putt is closer. Now Mac for birdie on the 15th.....a tap in left to stay tied for the lead.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Molinari on the tee on the par 5 14th gets a huge break and bounces off the side of the bunker back into the fairway.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Shauffele airmails his approach over the green on the 12th.....Tiger way left off the 14th tee in the rough. Now Spieth hits short of the pin and it bounces past to the top of green in some thick fringe. It was actually a great shot.....just cannot stop it no matter how much spin you put on it....but he was coming out of the fairway short rough.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Tiger got lucky.....his ball is sitting up in a mowed area out in the rough.....he's so far off the fairway. He hits the green on his 2nd shot on this par 5. Now Molinari hits the green too.....both have long putts for eagle.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Shauffele chips it nicely to the pin on 11.....a tap in range. Mac putting from off the green up the slope on 16 for a tap in par. Now Spieth has a tester for par....hasn't made a birdie all day long. He makes his par also.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:43 AM
So Jordan is struggling to maintain a share of the lead without a birdie on his card today....he's shooting over par today. Tiger's putt is woefully short for eagle. Mac makes his par to remain in a tie for the lead.....he has the firepower for the shortish 18th hole for birdie.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Neither Shauffele or Spieth has made a birdie all day long.....both are tied for the lead at -6.....both are shooting over par today.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Molinari is even par for today. Rose barely made the cutline on the number at +3 and now is 9 under since Saturday.....he's really playing the best. Now his chip on 18 comes to within a foot of the pin for a sure birdie to finish with the lead in the clubhouse at -7.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Tiger birdies the par 5 14th now.....the easiest hole on the course. He's back to -5 now. Molinari birdies his first hole of the day to take the outright lead at 7 under, but Rose will also make his tap in on 18 to tie him in the clubhouse.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Spieth's shot to the par 3 comes up very short of the pin.....but he's on the green. A very long putt up the slope for him for birdie.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:51 AM
You just hope to par this par 3 hole.....it's easy to bogey it. Rose now for the lead.....he makes the putt and is in the clubhouse at 6 under.....not 7 under like Molinari.....but his round is completed.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Mac in the greenside bunker on his approach....Chappell out of the bunker and a midrange tester putt for par now.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Spieth's birdie putt on 13 just misses.....a tap in par. Tiger now.....his ball gets a bad bounce and goes right off the green on 16. Mac hits a good one out of the bunker.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Moliari's shot hits in front of the green and rolls onto the surface.....he has an easy two putt and maybe a long putt for par. Shauffele's putt for birdie will be a tap in on the par 3 13th. Kisner has a tap in for par on the 14th to remain at 6 under. Chappell gets a sand save to remain at 6 under with Kisner.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Now McIlroy for his sand save for par on the 17th.....YEP. He remains tied at 6 under also.....only Molinari is a 7 under.....6 others at 6 under and lurking except for Rose who is finished and in the clubhouse.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Molinari has a 3 footer left for par.....Tiger putting out of the fringe for birdie now......slides just right of the hole for a tap in par. He remains two back at 5 under. Mac on the 18th tee downwind.....this is his chance to birdie and tie for the lead.....the key shot for him. He smashes the 3-wood and it rolls way down there just short of the Barry Bunker. Molinari makes his 3 footer for par.....hasn't missed all day.....to remain in the lead.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Spieth out of the rough onto the green on the par 5, but could not stop it and ends up a loooong way from the pin. He'll have alot of work to birdie this hole.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Molinari gets his teeball over the bunker on the par 3 16th......now Tiger on the tee. He hits it in the middle short of the pin....an excellent shot. Now Jordan with a very long putt for eagle.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:06 PM
WOW.....he slams it hard and it still comes up a 5 or 6 feet short. He has a tester left for birdie. Now Shauffele has a good look for eagle up the slope. This would vault him into the lead if he makes it. OH WOW....he catches the left side and taps it in to go to 7 under and tied for the lead now. Spieth needs to sink his birdie to catch to leaders.....he hasn't made one all day long.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Mac for birdie on the final hole and it just misses.....he will finish at 6 under tied with Rose in the clubhouse. Now Molinari chipping on 15 to the pin on the par 3....leaves it about 4 feet. Tiger's putt for par leaves it only a foot. Spieth rams it and misses uphill for the birdie......it catches the right corner. He's not mentally confident today.....not enough on this final round. That was not a difficult putt at all.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Spieth ain't gonna win it......maybe Shauffele will. Still anybody's touurnament to win. I feel 7 under or even 8 under will win it.....maybe a playoff. Tiger will not win it either....he's running out of holes. Spieth drove it into one of those pot bunkers and now he's really sucking eggs.....just pitches it out back into play. He's out of it now.....Shauffele is my pick to win it. His shot hit on the front of the green and runs all the way over the back. Looks like Molinari is in the driver's seat here now.....but Xander Shauffele has a very good short game and could chip this ball close enough to get his par. Spieth is basically a head case now......and has been all day long.....he's struggling in the final round and started the day tied for the lead with Shauffele at 9 under......remember??? Now's he's at 5 under....do the math.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Chappell leaves his birdie putt short of the hole for a tie for the lead..... a very tentativ putt. But Kisner maks his putt for par.....he started at 9 under today also tied with the lead. He remains one back with Chappell at 6 under. Molinari hit a good one on the 17th in birdie land. Spieth misses his par putt to go two back with another bogey....what a terrible showing for him today, Huh? He was defending his championship from last year's British Open. Shauffele now for his par.....no problem.....he makes it.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Molinari makes par on the 17th to remain at 7 under. Now Tiger for birdie here.....he needs this one to go to 18 one shot back. It's about a 6 footer and breaking right. YEP.....he's now 6 under with only the 18th left. Shauffele on the 17th tee on the par 3 hits a good one in birdie land like Tiger.....he's tied for the lead with Molinari.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Spieth needs a hole in one here, LOL.....he's at 5 under now. Nah.....a long ways away. Chappell on 17 now for his approach.....waaay right into the gorse.....he's gone now.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Molinari's teeball finds the 18th fairway. Kisner's approach at the 17th on the green, but a long way for birdie. Now Tiger on the final tee....he needs a birdie here to tie for the lead. Someone yells out in the middle of his backswing and he hits it poorly....but it stays just out of the rough, but short of where he wanted it to go. What a rude fan.....he yelled out at the most inopportune time......maybe on purpose.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Spieth's birdie attempt on 16 was about a football field away.....or maybe a half a football field. He did get it to within 3 feet. Shauffele for birdie now for the outright lead.....only 7 feet downhill.....he plays the left side and it stays there. Now Tiger's approach to 18 hits short and rolls up to the pin within 5 or 6 feet for birdieland. Moliari now.....his shot is next to Tiger's......for the outright lead on the final hole. It will come down to Molinari's putt, both are about equal distance from the hole.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Kisner on the 17th for a share now......he's just short for a tap in to remain at 6 under. Tiger is putting first here.....he must be outside of Molinari just a little bit. He needs this one to put the pressure on Molinari for his birdie putt. Tis one should be straight in....not a hard putt. NOPE....it breaks left right off the stroke. Tiger finishes at 5 under.....I thought he was at 6 under. Molinari has made absolutely everything so far......and makes this 5 footer for the outright lead. He goes to 8 under with a two-under par 69 today.......with no bogeys on his card. He's been the hottest player on the tour lately with two wins.....and now perhaps a third in this oldest major in the last 6 starts. Only Shauffele has a real chance to tie him now.....and Xander just missed a very makeable putt on that last hole.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Shauffele's ball is hit right of the green......he's in trouble now. Spieth hits his in the pot bunker......definitely not a good shot at all. He's all over the map today for such a good and talented player. Chappell now for his approach on 18.....just 4 feet right of the pin. Kisner now needs to hole this one out to tie for the lead on 18. NOPE.....leaves it 20 feet right of the pin and past the pin for birdie.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Now Shauffele on 17......he's at 7 under and pitching this one over the bunker from 100 yds out......a tough shot. He carries the bunker and it bounces off the downslope onto the green a long way from the pin for par. This is that par 3 17th hole......neither Xander or Spieth hit the green......both with poor shots.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Molinari got some good bounces today......but made the most of it. He played almost flawlessly.....everybody gets bounces on this course.....today was his turn to get some good ones.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Good bounces come from hitting the ball in the right spot on this course. Shauffele's putt for par stays just outside right. It's all but over with now for everybody. Molinari will win this year's OPEN. Kisner finishes at 6 under.....he started tied for the lead at 9 under. Spieth misses a very short part putt on 17.....he just loses it when his chances end. Chappell makes his birdie putt to finish at 6 under.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Shauffele would have to eagle this 18th hole for a tie with Molinari......he's the last guy with a chance now. Spieth fell totally apart today and especially on the last 4 holes.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Spieth in the rough again off the tee......can't even drive it straight now. Can't feel sorry for him......he grew up with with a silver spoon and has been playing this game since he could pick up a club. I betcha Molinari didn't grow up like that......he's earned his way the hard way. Good for him!! He deserves every bit of this Claret Jug trophy.....he earned it more than any other golfer this week.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Tiger did a really good job this week.....considering his surgeries and extended layoff from the game. At least Spieth had a chance to defend his title.....even though he came up missing in action today. Maybe a showing like this will bode well for him in future major tournaments.....maybe not.....you just don't know with a player like him.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Shauffele's shot comes up short and Molinari accepts congrats from everybody for the win. Engraving his name on the Claret Jug now.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:01 PM
He's from Italy......we'll have to hear if an Italian golfer has EVER won a major golf tournament......much less the British Open.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Spieth taps in for par......one birdie today and shoots a 5 over 76 today......not a good round by all standards. Shauffele for 2nd place by himself if he sinks this putt for birdie. Shauffele is the real deal for sure.....for his rookie season. He lips the cup and will tap in for par......to finish tied for 2nd at 6 undr and shoots a 3 over 74 today.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Rose, McIlroy, Shauffele, and Kisner all tied for 2nd at 6 under. The winning score by Molinari was 8 under with that birdie on 18. Tiger played well too.....but came up a few holes short even though he had many chances. Molinari made the best of his chances......parred everything except the par 5 14th and the 18th.....he birdied those two just like the course offers.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:11 PM
He didn't play exceptionally well.....just didn't make any mistakes and was in the best position to win without exceptional play when all the other leaders faltered. McIlroy played well today too, but missed some opportunities as well. Molinari wins with a round of 2 under today in his final round......he got some good bounces to stay out of trouble. That's the way the ball bounces on this course for sure. Justin Rose also shot 2 under par today.....everybody else close ended up shooting par or over par today. I guess Molinari won this tournament with good putting and good driving with a smattering of lucky bounces.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
The British Open has a history of the winner getting his share of lucky bounces......regardless of which of the 4 venues it's played on. The wind usually has something to do with it, and the links style course with the conditions. This week the weather was sunny and mild for the most part......just windy today.....and not howling......just a steady wind that the golfers could manage.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:20 PM
I was not impressed by the play this week by any of the golfers in this year's OPEN......except for Spieth and Shauffele yesterday and Kisner the whole way. Spieth and Shauffele feel back today to the field substantially, but Kisner did not......he played well the entire tournament like Molinari did.....except was not able to convert on his opportunities today. Tiger played well this week also......look for him to start winning a few again soon. He's got the game to do it, for sure. As long as he stays healthy. Spieth is still very young and will have many more chances......so will Shauffele.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Francesco Molinari accepts the trophy for the "Golfer of the Year" trophy they give out with his name inscribed on it as a legacy to join all the others that have won this tournament thru the past 14 decades.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Molinari was very humble and gracious in his acceptance speech.......I'm actually very impressed with him as a golfer and a person. Viva Italia, Huh?

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:48 PM
I think Shauffele missed the best opportunities coming down the stretch to win it......he just did not convert those short putts he had even though he made some very good approach shots. His putts kept rimming the hole.....but Molinari's putts went in.

regaleagle
07-22-2018, 01:53 PM
This is definitely a very big learning experience for Shauffele......but not for Jordan. For Jordan is was very disappointing.....just like the rest of this year has been. He's still a top golfer on the PGA tour......he WAS in contention to win this thing moreso than anyone else.....but faltered on the final day.

jason
07-24-2018, 08:48 AM
This is definitely a very big learning experience for Shauffele......but not for Jordan. For Jordan is was very disappointing.....just like the rest of this year has been. He's still a top golfer on the PGA tour......he WAS in contention to win this thing moreso than anyone else.....but faltered on the final day.
He saw Tiger on top of the leaderboard and puckered up...