PDA

View Full Version : Where are Grant and Terry?

d0tc0m
06-18-2018, 09:00 AM
I'm bored. Give us some content. You don't need a summer break.

lostaussie
06-18-2018, 04:45 PM
I think I saw where they were going to do a show the other night. Rough weekend. I really don't remember.

poisoned10
06-18-2018, 06:47 PM
I think I saw where they were going to do a show the other night. Rough weekend. I really don't remember.

What kind of show are we talking about here?

:thinking:

bobcat1
06-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Why, Midget Wrestling of course.

Aesculus gilmus
06-18-2018, 07:44 PM

They're still reeling from the critique I had of a preview show they did last July.

07-14-2017, 10:50 AM #16
All-American

I hope I am wrong as they're in our district, but I think you left out the sleeper team of 4A Division II and that's the Pleasant Grove Hawks.

From watching their touch football team, it looks to me as if they've been doing some successful intra-city recruiting (which is totally legit and legal) in Texarkana.

Of course, one of our Buckeyes has come home from Aledo to help deal with this threat. We always welcome anybody named Webb back to Buckeyeland.

jason
06-19-2018, 08:30 AM

annual donkey show probably

d0tc0m
06-19-2018, 08:32 AM
They're still reeling from the critique I had of a preview show they did last July.

07-14-2017, 10:50 AM #16
All-American

I hope I am wrong as they're in our district, but I think you left out the sleeper team of 4A Division II and that's the Pleasant Grove Hawks.

From watching their touch football team, it looks to me as if they've been doing some successful intra-city recruiting (which is totally legit and legal) in Texarkana.

Of course, one of our Buckeyes has come home from Aledo to help deal with this threat. We always welcome anybody named Webb back to Buckeyeland.

Revisionist history.

waterboy
06-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Revisionist history.

I remember him posting that, but like most others I thought he was crazy. It turns out he was right.

d0tc0m
06-19-2018, 10:54 AM
I remember him posting that, but like most others I thought he was crazy. It turns out he was right.

I'm just giving the ol' boy a hard time. He deserves some kudos for such a great prediction. I don't think I started to believe in PG until they beat Gilmer. And then when they beat Celina in the manner in which they did, I figured there wasn't anybody left in the state that could beat them. I really do think they would have given Carthage all they could handle last year.

waterboy
06-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm just giving the ol' boy a hard time. He deserves some kudos for such a great prediction. I don't think I started to believe in PG until they beat Gilmer. And then when they beat Celina in the manner in which they did, I figured there wasn't anybody left in the state that could beat them. I really do think they would have given Carthage all they could handle last year.

I didn't believe him, either. I'm not sure he was even "sold" on them, or at least not until they beat us. I would've loved to have seen them match up with Carthage, too. It would've been a really good game and fun to watch. We played both teams. The thing about Carthage is they have the X factor in Surratt. I would never bet against him in a championship game. PG had a special year with special players, had the heart of a champion, and a very real belief that they were not going to be denied. Who knows for sure what would've happened?

Aesculus gilmus
06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
That night Pleasant Grove played us in Gilmer, it seemed to me as if the Buckeyes were going uphill and the Hawks downhill the entire game.

After that game, I really didn't want to see a rematch either. I think they could have hung with Carthage definitely.

If Gilmer were ever to field an actual defense on a consistent basis, we could have Carthaginian greatness here, I believe.

BTW, one of PG's best returning starters was going to Gilmer until a couple of years ago.

#40 Landon Jackson started as a 6'5" freshman last year. His mom still lives a few blocks from Traylor Stadium, I've heard.

Gilmer is now winning based on the strength and tradition of the program. It's the other schools IMO who are more into recruiting (not necessarily illegally either just as it was never proven to me that anything Gilmer was doing under Traylor was illegal; people just wanted to play for the Buckeyes).

poisoned10
06-19-2018, 07:23 PM
BTW, one of PG's best returning starters was going to Gilmer until a couple of years ago.

#40 Landon Jackson started as a 6'5" freshman last year. His mom still lives a few blocks from Traylor Stadium, I've heard.

What a dumb move! :crazy:

Aesculus gilmus
06-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Harmony didn't do much in the playoffs, but they went undefeated in the regular season.

Their top two players, I was told, were transfers FROM GILMER into Harmony ISD.

I can't see this happening if Traylor were still here.

I'm not sure their QB could have started in place of Poppy, but he damn sure could have been a factor on defense. The RB could have also.

Both could have contributed on offense. They just might have had to switch positions.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 07:23 AM
How's Gilmer gonna look this year? Same ol' Buckeyes? Lots of offense, no defense?

Aesculus gilmus
06-20-2018, 07:30 AM
Well, the Gilmer coaches aren't stupid. They KNOW the problem is on defense and so extra emphasis is being given to this, I've been told.

They are going to field players who can run at least as fast as safeties typically can, if possible, even in the front seven.

Frankly, I don't know if this team has enough speed to be able to do that. But they'll give it their best shot and do better than expected, I hope.

One thing that hasn't changed is that every Buckeye team will go toe-to-toe with every opponent, no matter how gifted and talented the latter is, on every play of the game to the last whistle.

There's no quit in these guys and hasn't been for about 20 years now.

QB is a question mark to me on offense. He's probably better than I think. Again, I hope so. Everyone's rooting for him because of his late dad's story. I still miss the guy.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 07:33 AM
Well, the Gilmer coaches aren't stupid. They KNOW the problem is on defense and so extra emphasis is being given to this, I've been told.

They are going to field players who can run at least as fast as safeties typically can, if possible, even in the front seven.

Frankly, I don't know if this team has enough speed to be able to do that. But they'll give it their best shot and do better than expected, I hope.

One thing that hasn't changed is that every Buckeye team will go toe-to-toe with every opponent, no matter how gifted and talented the latter is, on every play of the game to the last whistle.

There's no quit in these guys and hasn't been for about 20 years now.

QB is a question mark to me on offense. He's probably better than I think. Again, I hope so. Everyone's rooting for him because of his late dad's story. I still miss the guy.

Gilmer has certainly always had the athletes to field a great defense. Seems like they've always spent them on offense, though, and, I suppose that's OK. Hopefully, you guys will get it figured out on that side of the ball this year and your new QB will have a lot of success. If that happens, look out.

I'd love to see Celina and Gilmer get a pre-district matchup going, especially now that we're not going to see each other in the postseason again. Maybe it'll happen.

waterboy
06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
That night Pleasant Grove played us in Gilmer, it seemed to me as if the Buckeyes were going uphill and the Hawks downhill the entire game.

I agree, but mostly because of excessive turnovers, penalties, and lack of defense.

After that game, I really didn't want to see a rematch either. I think they could have hung with Carthage definitely.

We likely would've gotten beat again, but I still wanted to see it. I think we should've seen it. We have been extremely turnover prone the past three years. That trend needs to stop, too. They would've hung with Carthage for sure. Gilmer "could've" beaten both teams if not for turnovers even though we were overmatched talent-wise.

If Gilmer were ever to field an actual defense on a consistent basis, we could have Carthaginian greatness here, I believe.

This is something I've been saying for years, even in the Traylor era. I've caught a LOT of flack over the years for saying it, too. I shutter to think of what could've been.

Do you know why? Is he living with his dad?

Gilmer is now winning based on the strength and tradition of the program. It's the other schools IMO who are more into recruiting (not necessarily illegally either just as it was never proven to me that anything Gilmer was doing under Traylor was illegal; people just wanted to play for the Buckeyes).

Tradition can only carry you so much. You have to have good coaching and good talent. Gilmer has always had talent, even when they weren't winning. Those "other schools" usually get a pass because they don't win consistently. We are a high profile school with a winning tradition that will bring out the haters if we have a move in, especially players with an already established high profile. Does "recruiting" happen? Absolutely. It's been happening. The majority of recruiting happens in the inner city and suburban communities, but goes unnoticed because it is standard practice. Nobody knows where anybody of the kids come from and they usually don't ask questions if the "rules" are followed.

As for our defense, or lack thereof, we haven't had the size we used to consistently have. I do, however, see a lot of size with decent speed sitting on the sidelines when the defense is playing. You have to have some size on the D-line or else you're going to get pushed around. Speed is not as important as strength on the line. We have been getting pushed around on defense for the better part of 20 years. It's well past time for some major changes on that side of the ball. The offense is fine, always has been, except for the turnovers over the past three seasons. That is fixable.

waterboy
06-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Aesculus gilmus, why do think there has been an exodus of players instead of retention and/or influx the last couple of years? I know the reason, but I'm just curious as to whether you know.

FWIW, I think the team this year will be as good, if not a little better overall than last season. I think they will have less of the "entitled" attitude, and play more as a team. I just don't know if the talent is there to be a real contender. I think Cade Camp will be very good at QB, and less mistake prone. The only knock on him is he can't run like Poppy could.

Aesculus gilmus
06-20-2018, 09:15 AM
I have no idea. My guess would be a great deal of it would be related to the fact Jeff Traylor hasn't been there since 2014.

Whether you love him or hate him (and a lot of people even around here didn't really like him and took it out on him at the bond election polls), he was just so charismatic that people wanted to play for him.

As for your other question, the PG star lives with his dad, who is 6'10" IIRC, now. I don't remember why the mom still lives here if she does. I think the parents are still a couple. This is all secondhand info from "a source close to the program." :)

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 10:27 AM
I have no idea. My guess would be a great deal of it would be related to the fact Jeff Traylor hasn't been there since 2014.

Whether you love him or hate him (and a lot of people even around here didn't really like him and took it out on him at the bond election polls), he was just so charismatic that people wanted to play for him.

As for your other question, the PG star lives with his dad, who is 6'10" IIRC, now. I don't remember why the mom still lives here if she does. I think the parents are still a couple. This is all secondhand info from "a source close to the program." :)

Being sans-Traylor certainly has an effect on Gilmer. Just like Carthage would/will suffer the day Surratt is no longer in the red and white. I mean, Alabama will cease to be Alabama when Saban finally gets ready to hang it up. That's just the way it goes.

But, still, even without Traylor, Gilmer has been to a pair of semifinals and the Region II semis (a very good, deep region, at that). Not terrible.

waterboy
06-20-2018, 11:02 AM

I talk to some of the parents of the kids in the program regularly. It's much more political now that Jeff is gone, which leads to other problems I won't go into on a public board. It certainly hasn't helped in that the program has lost a LOT of the coaches that were successful here.

There will always be those people that hate people who are successful. I never got that, especially when it's a good thing that brings the community together. The "bond election", to me at least, wasn't about football. It was about the cost per square foot analysis that left me scratching my head. It was double what it cost to build other schools in the area. If they would've given the voters a chance to voice their opinions about the left over monies from the bond election that actually did pass earlier, I think the people would've voted "FOR". Jeff didn't play politics, which is one of the many reasons he had the success he had. The players knew that they HAD to perform, follow team rules, etc., or they could lose their spot in the line up.

Is he any kin to Rebel from the '80s? I don't look for PG to have nearly the team they had last season, and I think he would get more recognition playing for Gilmer, but I digress...

Aesculus gilmus
06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Not kin to Rebel. And, yeah, I can believe that other stuff you wrote. I also think that football at all levels is declining in popularity.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Not kin to Rebel. And, yeah, I can believe that other stuff you wrote. I also think that football at all levels is declining in popularity.

I keep hearing that, but, football remains well ahead of everything else.

H3llR4z0r
06-20-2018, 11:33 AM
What will be really interesting, is seeing how Gilmer will respond after losing their first game of the season for the first time in 20 years. I wonder how they will respond to this issue.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 11:46 AM
What will be really interesting, is seeing how Gilmer will respond after losing their first game of the season for the first time in 20 years. I wonder how they will respond to this issue.

Well, hey there, H3ll. I tripped out for a second when I read your post, thought I had ended up on the other forum.

I'm sure folks around Atlanta are excited for this upcoming season. They're going to be a very, very tough out for the 3A folks this year. I expect they'll give Gilmer all they can handle week one, too. If the Rabbits come out of their tough pre-district schedule healthy (doesn't matter what w/l totals are), then they'll be playing well into December. They'd be one of my picks to be in Jerry World.

H3llR4z0r
06-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Well, hey there, H3ll. I tripped out for a second when I read your post, thought I had ended up on the other forum.

I'm sure folks around Atlanta are excited for this upcoming season. They're going to be a very, very tough out for the 3A folks this year. I expect they'll give Gilmer all they can handle week one, too. If the Rabbits come out of their tough pre-district schedule healthy (doesn't matter what w/l totals are), then they'll be playing well into December. They'd be one of my picks to be in Jerry World.

Haha I'm glad someone got a kick, because that's the only kicking that will be done until Atlanta takes that ride into G-town to deliver theirs :p

But all jokes aside, I do look for that to be a good game. Atlanta gave Gilmer all they wanted last year, just short of us not making any extra points or 2pt conversions. Funny thing is, our kicker went 8/8 the next Friday night. I'm ready for this streak to end.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 11:59 AM
By the time the championship game rolled around Carthage would’ve run PG off the field. You guys are crazy. Did you not see those 230 lbs LB shut down the #1 rushing attack in the nation on FSSW in Jerry’s World. Same goes for Gilmer. I wish we would’ve met up in the playoffs. All of this “could’ve” beaten Carthage would be over. It would’ve looked like the Silsbee game.

Y’all need to put some respect on Carthage 2017. That might have been the best 4a team to ever play. By far the best team Carthage ever had. That is out of Surratt’s own mouth.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 12:01 PM
By the time the championship game rolled around Carthage would’ve run PG off the field. You guys are crazy. Did you not see those 230 lbs LB shut down the #1 rushing attack in the nation on FSSW in Jerry’s World. Same goes for Gilmer. I wish we would’ve met up in the playoffs. All of this “could’ve” beaten Carthage would be over. It would’ve looked like the Silsbee game.

Y’all need to put some respect on Carthage 2017. That might have been the best 4a team to ever play.

PG > Kennedale. By a lot.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
PG > Kennedale. By a lot.

Easy to say that. Comparing the WOS scores it doesn’t look like that. Say they both improved at the same rate. You guys are reaching if you think PG “a lot” better then Kennedale. There is nothing that points to that.

H3llR4z0r
06-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Easy to say that. Comparing the WOS scores it doesn’t look like that. Say they both improved at the same rate. You guys are reaching if you think PG “a lot” better then Kennedale. There is nothing that points to that.

As an unbiased person, actually probably more biased towards Carthage, beings my classmate coaches there, it would have been a good game. Do I think Carthage would have won? Yes. I however, without a doubt, feel like PG would have beat Kennedale healthily. Kennedale was a very undisciplined team, and it showed when they posted videos talking smack about Carthage the week before the state championship. PG was probably the most disciplined team I saw all last year, and I saw Carthage 3 times. Carthage has the best coaching staff in Texas, that's where I give them the clear upper hand. They had better linebackers, PG had the better D-line. Carthage had the better running back, but I feel like PG's offense was more dynamic. PG's secondary was also really good. I believe that Carthage would have won due to preparation, and sheer overall talent, but I do think it would have been a 2 score or less game.

waterboy
06-20-2018, 12:19 PM

I disagree with you in part. PG would've beaten Kennedale pretty handily, in my opinion. As for a match up between Carthage and PG, my money would've been on Carthage, but I do think PG would've given them a VERY good game. Both teams were very, very good, no doubt. We could speculate all we want, but that is my opinion. Did you see the size and agility that the Hawks had? They had 300 pounders that very strong, agile, and quick. Unless you lined up against them, you really can't put it in perspective. The X factor would've definitely favored Carthage, though, with Surratt and company.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 12:22 PM
As an unbiased person, actually probably more biased towards Carthage, beings my classmate coaches there, it would have been a good game. Do I think Carthage would have won? Yes. I however, without a doubt, feel like PG would have beat Kennedale healthily. Kennedale was a very undisciplined team, and it showed when they posted videos talking smack about Carthage the week before the state championship. PG was probably the most disciplined team I saw all last year, and I saw Carthage 3 times. Carthage has the best coaching staff in Texas, that's where I give them the clear upper hand. They had better linebackers, PG had the better D-line. Carthage had the better running back, but I feel like PG's offense was more dynamic. PG's secondary was also really good. I believe that Carthage would have won due to preparation, and sheer overall talent, but I do think it would have been a 2 score or less game.

More dynamic offense!?!? I like your post and agree with a lot of it. But this is too much. Carthage didn’t run the same formation twice in the ship. That was as good an offensive showcase as I have ever seen. Literally set records.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 12:28 PM
I disagree with you in part. PG would've beaten Kennedale pretty handily, in my opinion. As for a match up between Carthage and PG, my money would've been on Carthage, but I do think PG would've given them a VERY good game. Both teams were very, very good, no doubt. We could speculate all we want, but that is my opinion. Did you see the size and agility that the Hawks had? They had 300 pounders that very strong, agile, and quick. Unless you lined up against them, you really can't put it in perspective. The X factor would've definitely favored Carthage, though, with Surratt and company.
Those 300 pounders woulda been turned every which way but loose. No no no way a Wing T team beats Preston and Surratt. Absolutely no way in hell. Especially not with Carthage having those 2 x 230 pound LB looking like they had babies to feed. Yes it would’ve been closer than the Kennedale game. But gimme Carthage by 18+. Prolly about how PG beat WOS. 41-21.

But it’s all just opinions anyway.

H3llR4z0r
06-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Those 300 pounders woulda been turned every which way but loose. No no no way a Wing T team beats Preston and Surratt. Absolutely no way in hell. Especially not with Carthage having those 2 x 230 pound LB looking like they had babies to feed. Yes it would’ve been closer than the Kennedale game. But gimme Carthage by 18+. Prolly about how PG beat WOS. 41-21.

But it’s all just opinions anyway.

Yea, it's all speculation. I never said they would have beat Carthage. And by dynamic, I mean in a sense that they execute better. Wing-T is not an easy offense to run, and even though the formation looks similar, it's all smoke and mirrors. Tons of motion involved, and their passing game was excellent, against whatever team they played. They may only have 6-8 passes a game, but they executed so well. They didn't have bad halves, they didn't have rough quarters. They came out, executed the entire game, and did what needed to be done. I saw Carthage all but completely sit down for an entire half during the Gilmer game. They looked horrible in the first half of that game. Granted, halftime adjustments were made, and it wasn't even close afterwards, there was still that terrible first half. I never saw that from PG. I mean, look at the first play of the state championship lol.

Regardless, I don't think they would have beaten Carthage, but I will stand behind the fact I think it would have been a 2 score game, possibly closer. PG literally had the best defensive line I have seen in quite some time. They disrupted every single team, regardless of their size or talent on the line. Several of the teams they played had some of, if not the best offensive lines in D2 (other than PG), and it wasn't even close. Big nick and whomever the other kid was made light work of them all.

On a different note, I can't wait to see Ingram in burnt orange. I hope that UT can develop him the way he needs to be, because he will be something special.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Y’all need to put some respect on Carthage 2017. That might have been the best 4a team to ever play. By far the best team Carthage ever had. That is out of Surratt’s own mouth.

For starters, who here has disrespected 2017 Carthage? Anybody? Next, who here said PG WOULD beat Carthage? Anybody? And PG > Kennedale by a lot is reaching? Please. The Wildcats would've been run off the field by the Hawks last year in December. It would not have been close. That's not a knock on Kennedale, and certainly not a knock on Carthage in any way. It just means PG was a much better football team. Period. I hadn't even considered the WOS score. Hell, I didn't even remember that Kennedale played them until you said something about it.

And, maybe you're right. Maybe 2017 Carthage was the greatest 4A team of all time. But that's another arbitrary argument with nothing but subjective opinions. And my opinion is that the 2017 Bulldogs were an all-time elite team. There wasn't anybody in 4A Div. I that was beating them last year. But, for my dollar, they're not even the best Carthage team of all time. I'd still take that 2008 team over last year's squad. In my opinion, Smith was a better overall HS running back than Ingram, Blackshire was a MUCH better QB, and the offensive line was just as dominant. The LB corps is where the 2017 squad would have an advantage, in my opinion, but that alone wouldn't make me choose that team over the 2008 group.

Anyway, none of this matters. At the end of the day, I think PG could have given Carthage a great game, but it didn't happen, it'll never happen, and we'll never know. And NONE of that takes away the rings Carthage got and the rings PG got. So enjoy it.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Yea, it's all speculation. I never said they would have beat Carthage. And by dynamic, I mean in a sense that they execute better. Wing-T is not an easy offense to run, and even though the formation looks similar, it's all smoke and mirrors. Tons of motion involved, and their passing game was excellent, against whatever team they played. They may only have 6-8 passes a game, but they executed so well. They didn't have bad halves, they didn't have rough quarters. They came out, executed the entire game, and did what needed to be done. I saw Carthage all but completely sit down for an entire half during the Gilmer game. They looked horrible in the first half of that game. Granted, halftime adjustments were made, and it wasn't even close afterwards, there was still that terrible first half. I never saw that from PG. I mean, look at the first play of the state championship lol.

Regardless, I don't think they would have beaten Carthage, but I will stand behind the fact I think it would have been a 2 score game, possibly closer. PG literally had the best defensive line I have seen in quite some time. They disrupted every single team, regardless of their size or talent on the line. Several of the teams they played had some of, if not the best offensive lines in D2 (other than PG), and it wasn't even close. Big nick and whomever the other kid was made light work of them all.

Ok now I can agree. Carthage is known to lay down a little bit from time to time and not execute. Look how they let LV back in the game. I was never really worried about the game, but it was a lot closer than it needed to be. Carthage offense is so complex that if it’s not clicking it can look terrible. Carthage had plenty of bad quarters this year. But they had so much experience and so many studs they could overcome just about anything in 4a. Look at 2016. They leaned how to win that year. All those close games. If you were going to beat Carthage last year you would’ve had to run them outta te stadium. Catch them not executing and get up big. If it’s close in the 4th quarter it was over.

I do agree. PG offense was easy to watch. Very fast and very efficient. One of the best Wing T offenses I have seen. I usually don’t enjoy watching that, but I did enjoy watching PG put it on WOS. It was a nice offense to watch. Poor Kennedale couldn’t get more than 2 yards a carry. I do not think it would’ve been the same.

Ingram is in that weight room! Boy will be 215 soon. But if the transfer from Cal pans out and doesn’t get injured, I hope he is the man. I would like to see them let Ingram’s body mature 1 year. He is a late bloomer. That’s the scary part. One of the best young men to ever put on the C. He is special. Raised right. Not wanting to be a thug. He is a ball player. Kid is gonna be an all American if they develop him. He has all the traits.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Ingram is in that weight room! Boy will be 215 soon. But if the transfer from Cal pans out and doesn’t get injured, I hope he is the man. I would like to see them let Ingram’s body mature 1 year. He is a late bloomer. That’s the scary part. One of the best young men to ever put on the C. He is special. Raised right. Not wanting to be a thug. He is a ball player. Kid is gonna be an all American if they develop him. He has all the traits.

This is awesome. And scary. With that kind of upbringing, sheer athletic ability and desire to work hard ... this kid is going to do some special, special things. And good for him! Impossible to not cheer for kids like that.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 01:18 PM
And, maybe you're right. Maybe 2017 Carthage was the greatest 4A team of all time. But that's another arbitrary argument with nothing but subjective opinions. And my opinion is that the 2017 Bulldogs were an all-time elite team. There wasn't anybody in 4A Div. I that was beating them last year. But, for my dollar, they're not even the best Carthage team of all time. I'd still take that 2008 team over last year's squad. In my opinion, Smith was a better overall HS running back than Ingram, Blackshire was a MUCH better QB, and the offensive line was just as dominant. The LB corps is where the 2017 squad would have an advantage, in my opinion, but that alone wouldn't make me choose that team over the 2008 group.

I’ll leave the rest of your post alone cause most of what I am stirring up is just BS. Little offseason fun.

I love the 2008 team too. They were great. 1st team that learned how to win. Awesome to watch that play out. The 2008 line on both sides was probably better. But that’s it. That’s the only advantage. The 2017 team had better secondary, LB, and WR. Much better. Ingram and Smith are too close to call. Blackshire was hurt most of the season, but by the numbers Capps was exponentially better. Remember Blackshire played 2008 with a messed up knee. He passed for 2,735 yards 36 TD and 7 int. He completed 160 passes out of 260 attempts. Capps was 201-320 with 3,813 yards. He had 50 TD passes to only 7 ints.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 01:26 PM
This is awesome. And scary. With that kind of upbringing, sheer athletic ability and desire to work hard ... this kid is going to do some special, special things. And good for him! Impossible to not cheer for kids like that.

I’m telling you he was a baby when he was a sophomore. He is still baby faced. Look at a lot of the top recruits. They look like 30 year old men with full beards. I don’t even think Ingram has to shave yet, hahaha. Talking about Dwight Smith in another post. Kid looked 28 playing for Carthage his senior year, lol. Ingram has a lot of growing to do. And with his frame they can do whatever the want. I just hope they keep him lean. He is already a little bit taller than you want top end RB talent to be, so I hope they get him a ripped 210 - 215 with more speed. He has to keep his agility cause that is what makes him special.

d0tc0m
06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
I’ll leave the rest of your post alone cause most of what I am stirring up is just BS. Little offseason fun.

I love the 2008 team too. They were great. 1st team that learned how to win. Awesome to watch that play out. The 2008 line on both sides was probably better. But that’s it. That’s the only advantage. The 2017 team had better secondary, LB, and WR. Much better. Ingram and Smith are too close to call. Blackshire was hurt most of the season, but by the numbers Capps was exponentially better. Remember Blackshire played 2008 with a messed up knee. He passed for 2,735 yards 36 TD and 7 int. He completed 160 passes out of 260 attempts. Capps was 201-320 with 3,813 yards. He had 50 TD passes to only 7 ints.

And that's part of what influenced my opinion of Blackshire. Knowing he had a bummed knee, not quite the receivers that Capps had, etc. He was just a different kind of playmaker than Capps, and, in my opinion, stats not withstanding, a better QB.

Ingram will be a better college player than Smith. Granted, Smith never could get his head on right, so we'll never know what could have been for that young man. Ingram will be playing football for as long as he wants to, and as long as his body allows, in my opinion. But from a HS standpoint, I've just never seen someone quite like Smith. He was something to behold.

At any rate, you could put 2008 and 2017 as 1 and 2 best Carthage teams ever, or vice versa, and I wouldn't argue with you much. But, like I said, if it was me ranking them, having seen them both a few times in person, it would be 2008 then 2017. Both got the hardware, though, and that's all that matters.

Dawgs
06-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Ingram will be a better college player than Smith. Granted, Smith never could get his head on right, so we'll never know what could have been for that young man. Ingram will be playing football for as long as he wants to, and as long as his body allows, in my opinion. But from a HS standpoint, I've just never seen someone quite like Smith. He was something to behold.

I agree. It’s not often you see a legit NFL RB playing against a buncha 3a kids. Smith was the most mature player I have ever seen. He was legit 230 with laser time 4.4 speed. He is like a dream. When you wake up you almost can’t remember how good he was. It was so quick. 1 season...1 freaking season. Pretty sad when you think about it. Kid could’ve done whatever he wanted on the football field. If things would’ve been different for him who know what woulda happened. Ingram was groomed from his sophomore year. Started getting offers at the end of his junior year. By the time he started his senior season he was a full blown 4 star recruit. Smith didn’t get an offer from TCU until after the state championship game. Much different situation.

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2018, 08:22 PM
hi..we posted a show last week

Aesculus gilmus
06-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Good show, but Hugh Sandifer didn't retire.

https://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/24/new-trick-bulldogs-first-spring-football-success/637865002/

Txbroadcaster
06-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Good show, but Hugh Sandifer didn't retire.

https://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/24/new-trick-bulldogs-first-spring-football-success/637865002/

Yea we could not remember on the fly lol

d0tc0m
06-23-2018, 09:51 PM

Oh, sweet! I'll have to go check it out when I get back from a weekend getaway. I got so used to you guys posting about new shows on here, I forgot to check my podcasts app on my phone for new shows.

H3llR4z0r
06-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Aha! I heard a little Atlanta love in there. It's going to be an interesting year, to say the least!

SaltySixes
06-27-2018, 09:52 AM

I was just reading through this thread and felt the need to add that in my opinion 2016 WOS is the best 4A team too ever play.

d0tc0m
06-27-2018, 11:48 AM
I was just reading through this thread and felt the need to add that in my opinion 2016 WOS is the best 4A team too ever play.

Defensively, yeah, they were up there. Offensively, I just never was super impressed. They were really good, but not great. But they didn't need to be. They are certainly in the upper echelon of all-time teams. But they would not have beaten the 2017 Carthage team, in my opinion.

H3llR4z0r
06-28-2018, 09:45 AM

They were good, but to this day, I'd still like to have known how the game would have gone if Celina's starting QB hadn't gotten hurt. I wasn't a fan of him after the video surfaced of him stepping on a kids ankle purposely, but he was a definite ball player, and I still think the game would have been totally different. Celina's backup, no offense, looked like he'd never thrown a football before. It's not hard to cover a team that is as one dimensional as Celina had to be after Pingleton was hurt.

d0tc0m
06-28-2018, 12:03 PM
They were good, but to this day, I'd still like to have known how the game would have gone if Celina's starting QB hadn't gotten hurt. I wasn't a fan of him after the video surfaced of him stepping on a kids ankle purposely, but he was a definite ball player, and I still think the game would have been totally different. Celina's backup, no offense, looked like he'd never thrown a football before. It's not hard to cover a team that is as one dimensional as Celina had to be after Pingleton was hurt.

Well, I truly believe Celina would have beaten WOS if Pingleton hadn't gone down. But, we'll never know. However, that was in 2015. In 2016, there wasn't anyone in 4A beating WOS. That defense was otherworldly.

H3llR4z0r
06-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Well, I truly believe Celina would have beaten WOS if Pingleton hadn't gone down. But, we'll never know. However, that was in 2015. In 2016, there wasn't anyone in 4A beating WOS. That defense was otherworldly.

You're right. I have my years mixed up haha.

H3llR4z0r
06-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Still, it's going to take a pretty strong argument to take that title from the '83 Daingerfield Tigers.