PDA

View Full Version : 2018 US OPEN: Shinnecock Hills in N.Y.

Pages : [1] 2 3

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:06 AM
I'm all pumped up for this year's US Open starting tomorrow morning early. I love golf.....one of the most difficult sports and the oldest sport still being played today. All the big names will be here......from all over the world. This year's US Open will be played on a true Open Course that has proved itself over time. There will be the new "young guns" from the PGA tour and the older established Champions in the field trying one more time to capture that elusive US Open title. Tiger Woods will be teeing off early in hopes of making his 2018 comeback attempt become a reality with another Open win here. He looks like his game is coming around.....and so does Phil Michelson's......he's never won the Open Championship before.There are so many story lines and scenarios with so many different players......it will certainly be a worthwhile watch for golf fans this Father's Day Weekend. I'm not sure yet who I'm really wanting to see win it....deep down. I'm probably wanting to see Michelson win it to complete his career Grand Slam......he lacks only an Open win to do it. Of course, I like Jordan Speith alot.....but he's still very young and has so many good years ahead of him. Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm the young Spaniard sensation, Justin Rose of England, Rory McIroy of Scotland......all of these players and more. The young phenom Brooks Koepka, last year's champion, and even San Antonio's Jimmy Walker are all viable competitors to watch. Past US Open Champions will be in the field.....it's fun to see these guys play in the tournament. Yippie!!! I love golf......a sport that can be played your entire lifetime.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:19 AM
Playing Shinnecock Hills is like playing a beast......Rickie Fowler and Jordan Speith have not yet played here in an Open before......but almost every golfer highly respects this course as one of the true most difficult but fair tests of the best golfers in the world. They have all been here since Monday even last week checking it out......all it's nuances, the greens, the slopes, the fairways, the rough......taking in all they can about this wondrous and very very difficult golf course. I would say the winning score may be as high as only 2 under to 5 under par......a very very high number in today's game for four rounds of golf from the Pros.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:27 AM
The course record is 63......but not with the way this course has been altered for today's game with the longer tees and set up for the Open for the Pros. Besides.....try shooting back to back scores in the 60's here......good luck with that!! It's a par 70 course.....7445 yds and even more with the setup for this year's 118th US Open field.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:29 AM
With the greens being like saucers with severe slopes and not being able to hold shots like the normal PGA course with "target" golf......chipping and putting will be at a premium. If the wind picks up like the course is meant to play......look out! The greens will dry out and the setup will cause even more problems for these professionals. The rough has been "trimmed".....hahaha.....just to "ease" the penalty of missing the fairway. You will not believe the "rough". It's rough allright......bring your grass whacker to get out......IF you can find the ball. Luckily, the Pros have "spotters" and fans to help some of the time.....just depends on where the ball ends up.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:42 AM
The Shinnecock Hills Clubhouse was built in 1892......the oldest structure in the US built as a clubhouse......just to give you an idea of the history this place is revered for in golf.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:46 AM
Highball hitters......not drunks,LOL......but players that can hit the ball very high and land it softly with spin.....will have a slight advantage this week playing Shinnecock.....until the wind picks up.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Since the US OPEN is a sanctioned USGA event......the "OPEN" means this championship is open to amateurs that qualified in different tournaments around the nation to play in this year's tournament. Same with some players off the Web.com tour.....a few have qualified to play in this year's US Open......a great and highly-sought distinction for the non-PGA player. There are many PGA tour member-players that have not "qualified" to play in this year's Open......you have to have qualified in at least one of the various categories required to play in this tournament each year. Invitations are extended to certain players.....depending on past history and other situations.....if spots are available because of other qualifiers that may have opened up some spots in the field......just depends on who and what, when and why.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:25 AM
Shinnecock Hills Golf Course is located about 90 miles east of New York City on Long Island in Shinnecock Hills, NY. This year, the USGA has decided to change the format to Sudden Death Playoff instead of an 18-hole playoff IF there is a tie after 72 holes played. 156 players will start play in this year's field trying to make the cutline for the weekend.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:34 AM
You will not see tree-lined fairways......Shinnecock Hills was designed and built and has been renovated several times over the decades to play like a true links-style course off the East Coast somewhat like British Open venues. The wind will blow here......just depends on how much and how the weather plays out this weekend. Predictions are for a somewhat docile and slightly wet(soft greens) First Round becoming drier and windier as the weekend unfolds.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:42 AM
Naturally......the early teetimes will benefit more on Day One than the later afternoon teetimes.....but the teetimes reverse order on Day Two to "even out" as much as possible any advantages or disparities. The threesome pairings will remain the same the first two rounds until qualifying for the weekend has finalized. Then the pairings are reset according to scores.....the highest teeing off earliest each day as the pairings are reshuffled over the last two rounds according to accumulated scores after Friday's and Saturday's rounds.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:55 AM
The USGA will allow a "local rule" to be invoked in this year's Open to remove any loose impediments in the bunkers like stones that can be removed as a movable object that impedes the golfers' fair play.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:20 AM
You can tune-in to live coverage beginning at 6:00 AM Thursday morning(today) on the Golf Channel with Live From the U.S. Open. At 8:30 AM.....you can switch channels to FS1HD to watch the early pairings tee off and begin play in this year's U.S. Open. On my cable network, that's channel 65 and channel 311......but you'll have to check your own programming to get this network airing. Coverage will air until 3:30 PM on this network . Then live coverage will be picked up locally here in Dallas by Channel 4 KDFW until 6:30 PM Central time. This is a CBS affiliate station in the DFW area owned by Fox Network. I believe coverage times and stations will remain the same for Thursday and Friday's rounds, then change to the CBS weekend coverages.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Looks like starting Saturday morning the Golf Channel will air coverage beginning at 6 AM until 10 AM, then CBS will pick up the coverage at 10 AM and air the tournament action all day long on the weekend until 6 PM Central time. Each evening you can go to the Golf Channel for reports and analysis of that day's action.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:09 AM
Now they are saying on the Golf Channel that there will be no advantage for the early teetimes today because the wind will be blowing at 30 mph clips starting early(right now) and blow all day long.......how do you like them apples, Huh?

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:15 AM
BTW......Phil Michelson is now 48 yrs. old and is rated this season as the best putter on the PGA Tour. Unbelievable for a golfer of his age with all the young phenoms out there. We all know how well he is around the green chipping and his sand play, and his putting thru the years. But that's really an unbelievable stat for his age to actually maintain and even improve his putting to lead the Tour this season in that category. He's a fan favorite at this venue and with New Yorker fans in general. Good Luck Phil......I'm pulling for you too if you are in contention the final round. Look out for Jason Day this year too.....he's got what it takes to do well on this particular course with these conditions.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:27 AM
Of course......the World's Number One Dustin Johnson can drive it long, but has also developed his short game and putting to be a serious contender and a favorite to win this Open. Justin Thomas is this year's leader in the FedEx Cup points on Tour and is always a favorite.....he held the Number One spot in the World Golf Rankings until Johnson's win last week. Speith has had issues with his putting this season......I don't look for him to solve his mental block this week......but he has been improving his driving and his iron play to the greens is superb. Maybe the difficulty factor of the greens will play into his favor this week......he does have an uncanny touch and that's what will be required on these greens this week.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:33 AM
Rickie Fowler should do well with his overall abilities on this type of difficult golf course and his short game being excellent.....we'll see what happens. Tiger Woods is still a big question mark at this point, but has recently shown positive strides in getting most of his game back. There are so many variables in play here......and so many really talented golfers that could contend......I think those players that can make lots of pars and some birdies to help offset the bogies and doulble bogies will put themselves ahead of the rest of the field. The wind will become a major factor in
determining how the players will choose to play each hole

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Phil Michelson, Jordan Speith, and Rory McIlroy will be paired together with an early tee-off time of 7:02 AM Central time beginning on the 10th hole.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:44 AM
Looks like the early weather reports are winds blowing steady at 12-14 mph now, but may gust later much higher. The weather is sunny after yesterday's rain that softened the course setup. Early teetimes should benefit as expected in this first round of play. Forecast is for midday wind conditions to gust to around 30 mph. In golf.....high winds are a golfer's nemesis moreso than any other weather condition.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:51 AM
The pairings for the first two rounds should prove to be interesting......that's the way they like to grab the interest of the golf fans. Not all pairings are interesting, but they try to pair some of the high profile players together according to stats or type of player or country of origin, and even according to the players' finishes so far this year.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Not sure if I even want to go out today and tomorrow to deal with customers that have hail-damaged roofs.....being this is US OPEN week and Father's Day Weekend. I'm the boss, so I have earned certain privileges that I can give myself......even though I'm the leader for the rest of the men. They will just have to do without me today and this weekend, LOL.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 06:22 AM
Seems like Justin Rose of England is being picked by so many golf analysts this week......he's getting alot of attention for his play this season. He's always had great iron play, can hit the ball high, and has a great temperment.....but his putting has now improved so much that he has to be considered as a real favorite this week.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 06:30 AM
Staying out of trouble and averting making a HUGE number on a hole early in this tournament will be a key to doing well and making the cutline come Friday evening. It's so easy to lose your chance early in this type of course and condition. Controlling shots and maintaining pars is the name of the game today and the entire tournament.....without giving up a huge number on a hole or two. A huge number is defined in PGA terms as triple bogey or more on a hole. A couple of those could put most of the field ahead of you, unless you erase the deficit with some birdies too.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Rickie Fowler and Jason Day go off early today too......at 7:13 CT. These are great tee times to start this Major US Open. I believe the tee times are drawn like a lottery for the pairings.......everything has to be done in as fair a way as possible without any intervention from outside sources.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Like you, regal, I love golf. It's such a fascinating game. And, being a writer, I love how naturally poetic the sport is. It's like baseball in that it just writes well and lends itself to more poetic prose, much more so than football or basketball or soccer of any of the other sports.

I'm jazzed for this US Open, as well. I just love the US Open because of how much it requires the golfers to just grind out four rounds of often less-than-ideal conditions, long holes and the need for creativity. Golf is really fun right now in that there is a ton of parity, and we've had a revival of some of the greats like Tiger and Phil. Those are the two I'd love to see win this thing. Tiger, I think, has a legitimate shot at this simply because of how long he is off the tee and how creative he can get with his short game. If he finds his putter this weekend, he's my pick. Phil, sadly, I think has missed his window for a US Open title and a career grand slam. As he's gotten older, the US Open just no longer fits his game anymore. His short game will always be one of the very best, and I think, because of that, he can hang around and 'contend' on Sunday. But, ultimately, I just don't think he's got the power left to give himself those birdie chances on the long Par-4's, or eagle looks on long Par-5's. Phil turns 48 on Saturday. So, if he can capture some kind of magic this weekend, he'd be the oldest to ever win the US Open.

jason
06-14-2018, 08:24 AM
I took Day as my #1 in a draft kings. Was high on Rose but figured his ownership would be high in our league.

On a side note - I (finally) broke 70 a few weeks ago. Been playing golf over 20 years and finally hit that goal. Next golf goals on the list are a 1 and a bogey-free round.

http://js-test.info/txdl_standings/scorecard.jpg

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Great card Jason......I've had 2 hole in one's in my life and my lowest round ever is a 69 many years ago in my mid-30s. Keep playing.....you'll get your hole in one.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 09:29 AM
I remember one round in particular I had where I shot a 42 on the front nine and had 5 birdies in a row on the back nine to shoot one over for the round. Golf is just an unbelievable sport. I've hit in eagles from the fairway, and just missed a double eagle on a "short" par 5 before. It's just a great game......especially if you have honed your skills at an early age. I can still hit it pretty darn good for a man my age.....but I never have looked or been my age, LOL. The newer equipment nowadays really helps.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Looks like the early finishers today with the early teetimes didn't do so well, Huh? One under par by Scott Piercy is leading the way so far.....and now the afternoon teetimes are beginning to tee off now. A marquee pairing of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, and Justin Thomas is teeing off next at close to 12 midday.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Looks like the early finishers today with the early teetimes didn't do so well, Huh? One under par by Scott Piercy is leading the way so far.....and now the afternoon teetimes are beginning to tee off now. A marquee pairing of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, and Justin Thomas is teeing off next at close to 12 midday.

Afternoon is going to get even more difficult. The sun and the wind is gonna harden and dry those green complexes out and make them speedy, speedy, speedy.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 11:56 AM
There's just not very many "birdie holes" out there at Shinnecock Hills.....so it's hard to make up any ground on your score if the leaders have 5 or 6 shots on you. Looks like McIroy, Michelson, and Speith have all had bad rounds this morning. This will not bode well for them going into tomorrow's round with the late tee times.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
There's just not very many "birdie holes" out there at Shinnecock Hills.....so it's hard to make up any ground on your score if the leaders have 5 or 6 shots on you. Looks like McIroy, Michelson, and Speith have all had bad rounds this morning. This will not bode well for them going into tomorrow's round with the late tee times.

But that's the beauty of the US Open. You just have to keep grinding. If the leader is only 1- or 2- under after today, then even Phil and Speith are still in this thing, especially if they close out their rounds strongly. You keep getting pars, maybe snag a birdie here and there, and you've got a chance. Because Poulter is playing well at -1 right now, but that can take a turn quickly into black figures at Shinnecock.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Somebody is gonna surprise and shoot a very good score this afternoon......it always seems to happen in the first round of the Open. Making the cutline and hanging in there for the weekend rounds is all Michelson, Speith, and McIlroy can hope for now. You gotta figure they will play this tough course better each day as they understand how the wind makes it play.....and all the nuances around the greens. Putting seems to be a major issue for most of the golfers so far......because of the slopes and undulations in the greens. It's difficult to fire at the pins and for the ball to come to a stop close to where you landed it. Speith just double bogied the par 3 7th hole now.....he has only the 8th & 9th left in his round. Now he goes to 8 over like McIlroy. He came up short on his teeball, then chipped it up short to the very front, then 3 putted from there for 5......a major blunder.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 12:13 PM
I'm gonna predict the cutline to fall around 8-9 over par by Friday evening......I don't think that's overstating the numbers that will be posted after two rounds at this venue. Heck....it's possible the number could be +10 or even more.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 12:22 PM
The Top Three Spaniards on the PGA Tour.....Sergio Garcia, Jon Rahm, and Rafa Cabrera Bello.....are all paired together in this Open. It will be interesting to see how these guys do on this course......they are accustomed to playing in windy conditions like we have in Texas. They just teed off to start their round.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 12:49 PM
I'm gonna predict the cutline to fall around 8-9 over par by Friday evening......I don't think that's overstating the numbers that will be posted after two rounds at this venue. Heck....it's possible the number could be +10 or even more.

If the trend continues, I could see the winner finishing in black figures.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 01:11 PM
It's a nightmare start for Tiger Woods......he triple bogies the very first hole. Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas both made pars from the greenside bunker.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Boy.....most of those fans certainly are living a different lifestyle than most of us, Huh? I wonder what it's like to not have to work to earn a living.....just to live life without those concerns. In today's world more than anytime before in my lifetime......it takes money to make even more money.....and more and more and more. They never even give it a thought any other way. Many of them have never known anything different.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Hard work and being consistent in life is not what it used to be, LOL. Well......there's always a one-in-millions chance at one of the lotteries!! Now back to golf from the daydreams.

jason
06-14-2018, 02:18 PM
John Rahm is a head case.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:19 PM
DJ(Dustin Johnson) is not the World's #1 for nothing......he's playing this course better than just about any other golfer in the field so far. Henley leads at 3 under par right now, Brian Gay at 2 under, and DJ at one under par. Tiger has stopped the bleeding of a triple bogey, bogey start of +4 for his first two holes to start this tournament.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:21 PM
John Rahm is a head case.

I'll take being a head case in his shoes any day.....he has a great life for being so young. I think he's been golfing since a very early age....maybe from a well-to-do Spanish family.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:31 PM
I think they are not really looking in the right spot for DJ's ball.....there are at least 15 people looking for it in that tall grass just out of the fairway. Yeah it's over by the purple grasses.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
I think the rule is only 5 minutes to find a lost ball.....somebody just found it.....just in time before a "lost ball" penalty. DJ is currently 2 under par and only one behind the leader. Now they are talking about allowing him a free drop. Somebody stepped on it.....he's marking with a tee and redropping it for a much better lie.....what a break, huh? Lots of people to help him find it and now a free drop in the heather that was trampled and now the ball is "sitting up" better.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:35 PM
He takes his medicine and just pitches it out softly back onto the fairway......a wise decision.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Brian Gay bogies #11 to drop a shot down to one under par now. Tiger and Justin are on the green close to the pin in birdie land now.....DJ will be hitting his 3rd shot on this par 4.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Looks like Henley is also gonna drop a shot to par back to 2 under. Sergio Garcia birdies to go to even par. Tiger did birdie the previous hole to drop back down to +3 and will have another opportunity to get another birdie on this hole.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Henly blows that short putt and will drop TWO shots and out of the lead now....he goes to one under par. Tiger misses the birdie attempt. Now Justin Thomas will try his birdie attempt. DJ will try first for his par attempt out of the tall heather. Nope....he drops one too. One under is leading the tournament. Dufner misses an eagle for the lead. There's a 9-way tie for the lead at one under. Thomas rims the cup for his birdie....he remains at +1 for the day.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Tiger and the boyz are on the par 3 7th hole now. Bello and Sergio are tied at even par for the Spaniard trio. DJ makes another nice shot on the par 3 7th for a reasonable birdie attempt. Sergio bogies again to start the back nine at one over.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:52 PM
It doesn't appear that the wind is gusting any harder than it was earlier this morning with the early tee times......about the same so far.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 02:56 PM
DJ, JT, and Tiger all make pars at the par-3 7th hole.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Jason Dufner is dialed in and hits another beauty right at the pin.....just below the hole about 3 feet. Looks like birdieland to me.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Justin Thomas(JT) nearly holes out his approach shot onto the 8th green. Now Tiger at bat.....he puts one in there too about 5 feet right of the hole. DJ on deck now.....only 105 to the hole. His hits and falls into the leftside bunker. Dufner's putt is actually about 5 feet and he sneaks it in to take the lead at 2 under.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Holy Cowabunga!!! DJ chips it in for birdie from the bunker.....like a magician. Now he's tied with Dufner for the lead.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Tiger misses his 7 footer and pars. Now JT's turn for birdie. He's about 4 feet away. He misses too and stays at +1. Tiger stays at +3.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Tiger misses his 7 footer and pars. Now JT's turn for birdie. He's about 4 feet away. He misses too and stays at +1. Tiger stays at +3.

Tiger can't miss those under-10-footers if he wants to win. Shinnecock isn't gonna gift too many of those to begin with.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Sergio hits it over the green on #10 and double bogies the hole.....the same as Russell Henley did earlier to drop out of the lead.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:16 PM
The truth is that Justin Thomas is really playing well today, just not making some putts like DJ has. But DJ has a 3-stroke lead on Thomas and tied with Dufner at -2. Thomas has had his chances.....just has not converted those opportunities.....yet.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:19 PM
It's a big boost in confidence when you hole-out a birdie from the greenside bunker.....especially to go back into a tie for the lead in the US OPEN in the first round. Dufner misses a short putt for par and falls out of a tie with DJ now.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Uh-Oh.....DJ airmails it over the green on his approach to #9. He hit that ball too high and the wind got it. Tiger's shot stays on the green toward the back.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Now Henley chips in a flop shot for birdie just off the green to go back into a tie at 2-under. Thomas is past the pin on #9 also.....you just cannot hit it short of the pin today....it could roll off the green.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Henley is playing up ahead of DJ on the 13th hole now....his approach to the green leaves him with about a 20 footer for birdie.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
The wind gusts are now at about 18 mph.....no worse than many days playing golf in Dallas, Texas.....really. Those poor professional golfers!! But the wind is not nearly at HOT!!! And they have the water on the coastline to keep them cool. I reckon the temps there are somewhere in the mild 80's today.

d0tc0m
06-14-2018, 03:30 PM
The wind gusts are now at about 18 mph.....no worse than many days playing golf in Dallas, Texas.....really. Those poor professional golfers!! But the wind is not nearly at HOT!!! And they have the water on the coastline to keep them cool. I reckon the temps there are somewhere in the mild 80's today.

You should've gone pro, regal.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
30 mph gusts are one thing, but 18 mph gusts should not be a big deal to golfers.....just sayin'. Now change your channel to Fox Network CBS for the rest of today's coverage.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
You should've gone pro, regal.

I grew up in a small town in an agrarian environment with a 9-hole course. I did take some lessons at age 9 from the pro at Beeville CC. My Dad was a scratch golfer and played over there with Stanley Wright(the pro) all the time. I was pretty good considering the circumstances and the era....but back then golf was not nearly as popular as it is today and there were very few scholarships available to golfers from small towns. My era was 3 yrs behind Ben Crenshaw. Back then, I learned the game with my Dad's old set of black-faced heavy D-2 irons he won at the Robstown Tourney years earlier.....and a mish-mash set of real woods. They were the old MacGregor Tourney irons.....remember those relics??? They had white grips that were original. I played with those clubs thru college until I could afford my own set in my early 20's.....timing was not on my side.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Of course any wind on a course like this is a problem, LOL.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:55 PM
DJ stays tied with Henley for the lead at 2 under.....going to the 11th tee now. Stricker is at one over.....not too shabby for a man his age.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 03:59 PM
DJ on the par-3 11th puts it hole high to the right just like the book says. Tiger up now hitting an 8 iron. DJ hit an 8 iron also. Tiger goes too far right and it hits and falls into the greenside bunker. JT's turn now. His shot is right of DJ's but hole high on the green. Henley on 14 now and his approach brutally runs past the pin over the back of the green.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Bello the Spaniard hanging in there at +1. JT is at +3 now. Tiger has a long putt for par. DJ outside of Tiger putting for birdie. WOW....he strokes it hard against that wind and it barely gets there and drops for a birdie.....he's in the lead now, folks.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Tiger's putt is of similar line and length.....not quite as much break to save par here. This is really not an easy putt. NOPE....not even close. Tiger finally bogies one since the 2nd hole and falls back to +4 now.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:06 PM
So DJ is 3 under par, Henley 2 under par and Dufner one under par along with a couple of others.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Henley makes a nice putt on 14 to save par. Wild Jim Furyk makes birdie to go to +3....he's playing on an exemption in this tournament and is 38 y.o. now......I wish I was still 38. Oh wait just a minute......what am I saying??? I AM still 38....in my dreams, LOL.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:17 PM
I reckon somewhere around half the field will end up making the cut on Friday....WOW.....Justin Thomas just about holed that one out on 12....a gimme birdie. The golf shot of the day for him so far.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
DJ chips out of the fluffy lie off the green and has work for his par. Dufner tries for birdie but comes up windy and short. Now Tiger is putting off the green out of the fringe for a birdie.....darn near makes it.....needed one more half-roll.....but a par, nonetheless.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:22 PM
DJ bogies on that uphill 15 footer for par. Now he drops down to 2 under in a tie with Henley again. Now Henley is in birdieland about 2 feet on that one.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:24 PM
As long as the wind stays blowing steady and not gusting then the players can allow for it better.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Wow.....Henley blows another short putt for the outright lead.....that one even d0tc0m could have made, LOL.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:35 PM
It's still DJ and Henley tied for the lead at 2 under, Dufner, Poulter, and Piercy at one under. Poulter and Piercy had earlier tee times are are in the clubhouse for a long time now.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Henley looks to be in total control of his game today......DJ made par and now Tiger has a tester left for par. Heck NO.....now he runs it past about as far. He's not in the hole yet. NOPE.....it's gonna be a 4 putt for double bogie.....a major hiccup on the scorecard on Hole #13. That was......a nightmare!!!

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:41 PM
I think Tiger needs to get more quality sleep.....he keeps having nightmare holes.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Stricker makes another nice putt for par at age 51.....see even some of us old guys still have it. Stricker doesn't know he's getting old.....just better.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Henley has a short tap in for par at 17. Rahm the Spaniard is on the tee at 16 at +6 for the tournament. Tiger is in the deep heather on 16 and doesn't get it out into the fairway. DJ's in the intermediate cut of rough and hits it short of the green into the bunker. Sam Burns at 18 for birdie and makes it. He's a Memphis qualifier and shoots a one over 71.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Xander Schauffle ends his day at 2 over. Tiger hacks it out in front of the green on his 3rd shot on this par 4 hole. He just doubled the last hole. He's looking at bogie here for sure......the 546 yd par-4 14th hole.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:00 PM
DJ out of the bunker only 4 feet left for par.....that was another good shot. Henley in the fairway on 18 now. Thomas chipping up on 14 leaves it 4 feet short.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Now Tiger has a 10 footer left for par. Snedecker just birdied 13. Tiger misses again and rolls it past 2 feet. Dufner at 13 for birdie and a share misses. Tiger doubles again. Stenson birdies to go back to +2. Stricker birdies on 5 to go back to +2. Thomas from 5 feet for par on 13 now.....he sinks it to remain at +3. Now DJ has just about 5 feet left for par......left all the way. He drops back out of the lead to one under. Henley on 18 in the lead now at 2 under.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Justin Rose finished early with a round of +1.....he's definitely someone in position to watch out for.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Henley bogies 18 from the bunker to end his day at one under and tied in the clubhouse with the lead. Dufner still out on the course at one under.....and so is DJ.

regaleagle
06-14-2018, 05:48 PM
The course at Shinnecock Hills is winning and everybody else is losing......strokes to par. I'm worn out and I'm not even playing....Geez. Three more grueling days of this....can the players handle it??? Good thing they don't have to play all day long.....only 18 holes and go rest. I've been watching this action all day long.....I'm tired and the course has worn me down. No birdies, no nothing except tough sledding to get thru this first round. Good luck to all of those on the cutline tomorrow.....whatever number that may end up being.

jason
06-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Cut probably in the +4 to +7 range.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Well I got some rest and now it's Day Two and the 2nd Round of this year's US Open is officially underway. The weather has changed.....it's wet and drizzly.....the greens are soft and so are the fairways. There's some wind, but not like yesterday. Yesterday's afternoon teetimes are off early today and on the course. Remember......Shinnecock Hills is in New York and on Eastern Daylight Time.:wave:

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 09:47 AM
DJ, Justin Thomas, and Tiger are on the course now along with a few other threesomes. We'll see what transpires today in this weather condition compared to yesterday's windy and dry condition. We will also see if there is any improvement from some of the players just understanding how to hit their approach shots to these undulating greens.....which side and how close to the pin. Staying out of the rough and tall heather off the tee is also a major concern. The fairways are generally wide enough.....but there are no trees lining the fairways to give you a picture in your head of the line......it's easy to get lined up wrong.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Currently DJ is in the lead at 3 under. His group is one of the first out on the course this morning. Tiger is 8 over from yesterday, and Justin Thomas is 3 over now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 09:55 AM
I think JT just wore the wrong pants yesterday.....today he's wearing his bright colors again.....almost lime green pants today, LOL.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 09:58 AM
They are playing the first hole.....so I will assume they started this round on the back nine teeing off on the 10th tee and are now on their 2nd half of the course.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Spaniard Bello is on the course at one over.....he's the closest player to DJ on the course right now in score. Bello will drop a shot now, and maybe so will DJ.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Tiger double bogies #1 and goes back to +10......maybe the cutline today. Now DJ for par with a 10 footer......it slides by for his first bogie of the day. He's still leading at -2. He's got not only great length off the tee, but great rhythm and a very good short game to match. Rose is on the course and is at +1. Furyk at #11 for birdie.....he pars it to stay at +3. Snedeker bogies to go to +5. Dufner misses as gimme and bogies to go to +3.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Right now DJ is in command on the course, but we will see what happens later today when the afternoon teetimes come out to play. Then Saturday is considered as "moving day" on the PGA tour, and on Sunday's final round we usually see some fireworks in a major like the US Open.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:12 AM
It's difficult for a player to stay in the lead with 4 consecutive good rounds......it's a rarity on the Tour with so many talented golfers out there. DJ does have a small lead of a couple of strokes.....but that kind of lead can change in one hole on this kind of course.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Now with the softer, less windy conditions today......there may be a few golfers jump out there today and have a really good round this afternoon.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:16 AM
I'd say Tiger is in trouble of making the cut if he doesn't trim his score by a couple of strokes coming in. He just missed that birdie on #10.....very makeable......but he remains at +10 for the tournament.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:19 AM
DJ makes his par to remain in the lead at -2. Henley birdies to go back to even par. Dufner and Bello are on the course and at +3. All the others at one under to one over have later teetimes this afternoon.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Looks like to me alot of players in the range of 3 to 8 over......cutline may fall right at 7 or 8 over.....just depends on what happens with the afternoon groups. It's looking like Tiger will go home and watch on TV.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Most of the players are having a difficult time just shooting a score of par......so that means any golfer shooting par or under par today will be moving up the leader board. It also means Speith, McIlroy, and Michelson must shoot under par today just to make the cutline.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:05 AM
I'm a believer that some golfers are better playing in the afternoons and some are better playing in the mornings. I always shot my better rounds in the afternoons.....it just seemed my body worked better during those hours. Some guys swear they play better early in the day. I wonder if this holds true for the professionals. Maybe some of the lesser players accustomed to earlier teetimes do better in the mornings, and some of the professionals accustomed to the later teetimes do better in the afternoons......good players like Speith, Michelson, and McIlory.......we will watch to see today.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:13 AM
On Thursdays and Fridays each week on the tour......the group you are paired with switches tee times from one day to the other.....unless your teetime falls in the middle of the pack. That means late teetimes on Thursday have less rest and are back on the course early the next morning. And early teetimes Thursday get lots of rest between rounds.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
So your scheduled teetime AND your pairing group is a serious consideration each week on the tour......it can and does have an effect on how a player plays that week......among all the other issues. Playing too many events in a row can cause some issues as well, and then there are personal issues that come into play that affect your game. What about sponsor pressures, your swing coach and caddy, your wife and kids??? There's a mountain of outside issues affecting how a golfer performs at any given time during the course of a year on Tour.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Just trying to make the cut and then get into some of the good money each week is the main pressure these professionals deal with weekly. Most do not win on the tour....but they do have pressures to maintain their card and a standing on the money list to keep their tour card playing privileges. There's plenty of talented players wanting to take their spot.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:37 AM
In fact, the Top 125 players on the money list retain their playing privileges. The 125th player last season earned a little over $717,000 in tour earnings.....not counting outside earnings......just to give you an idea. So the money is BIG, for sure.....and therefore so is the competition. There are other ways to maintain your card and playing privileges if you are a past winner or have earned some exemptions from wins in previous years......but even those have limits. Still.....each week the winner wins over a million on one PGA tour event......so it's like winning the lottery each week against very slim odds......something like 150:1.....at most, LOL. Remember......most of these players have been playing golf most of their young lives and most have the talent to win in any given week on the tour. So once you make it to this level....you are in a lottery position each week.....and even if you have never won, you still can make some BIG $$$ out there.....and off the course as well.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Let's not lose track of the facts......most PGA players are playing for the money, not the notoriety. That comes with a win.....it's not the main issue out on the tour. Making the BIG B$$KS and maintaining playing status is the main goal for most players.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:50 AM
By making the cut and being able to play for a win in as many weeks as possible......the player increases his pocketbook and his odds of getting a win.....plain and simple. Hopefully he improves not only his position and standing on Tour, but improves his game and mental disposition along the way. It's work in progress or a work in regress, depending on the player and where he is in the grand scheme of things.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:53 AM
For those 50 and older, there's the Senior Tour. And for those just starting out.....there's the Web.com Tour. And some other smaller tours to get to the Web.com Tour.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Tommy Fleetwood of England just shot a 4 under 66 today to end his day with yet another birdie. He's sitting at +1 for the tournament......the lowest round of the tournament so far in the entire field.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Dustin Johnson is sitting at -4 now.....he's separating himself from the field today. Tiger Woods stands at +11.....he needs a couple of birdies, IMO....to make the cut.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Well Heck.....Woods is on the 9th tee playing his last hole now.....he really needs a birdie here for a chance to make the cut. Justin Thomas sits at +4 and will have no problem making the cutline.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:02 PM
It really depends on how the groups do this afternoon as conditions change to see what the cutline will be. I'm thinking about +9, but that remains to be seen.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Golf has evolved so much in the past 20 yrs and the equipment is so good.......I can just imagine how much better I could be if I were a young man today. These players are hitting it over 300 yds on average off the tee nowadays. Heck, I'm an old guy and with my new equipment I can consistently drive it 265 yds off the tee, and I don't even play 20 rounds a year nowadays. I have had drives over 300 yds. before, but only when playing more.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:17 PM
DJ finishes the day with a 67.....4 under and leader in the clubhouse. Now we shall see if there will be any golfer within a couple of strokes of him at the end of today. Saturdays are traditionally much more competitive.....the "moving day" on the PGA Tour each week. But this course is tough to make birdies on......a 2 or 3 stroke lead here is a big advantage. But conversely......it's also easy to lose the lead here with a nightmare round or nightmare hole.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Henrik Stenson shoots an even par 70 today to remain at +1 for the tournament.....don't lose sight of this guy from Sweden.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:21 PM
From Boerne Texas.....Jimmy Walker on the first tee now in the US Open starting his 2nd Round at +5. He's in the group with Justin Rose at +1. Go Jimmy!!!

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Ian Poulter, age 42 from England....starts his 2nd Round now at -1 for the tournament......will he also have a good day this afternoon??? He's had a good season so far this year on the Tour.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Now here comes the Rolex Marquee grouping of Speith, McIlroy, and Michelson starting on the first tee for their 2nd Round. All three had nightmare rounds yesterday.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 12:49 PM
All three are just hoping to shoot even par or better just to make the cut.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Kinda makes you wonder when you have 3 or 4 amateurs in this tournament making the cut and shooting better than seasoned professionals. I guess that means sometimes it's better to just go out there and play some golf......and not be too overly concerned about what you are doing wrong. In golf......you're always gonna do something wrong......there's just no perfection in this game.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:13 PM
In bowling, you can roll a 300 game and that's all you can do. You could even roll a 900 series....that would be the ultimate outside of winning tournaments. But in golf, there is no threshold to reach......the sky is the limit. Both ways, LOL. You are dealing with the environment and yourself......your abilities against Mother Nature and the course.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:23 PM
I guess Tiger and Rory and maybe even Jordan are wondering where they will spend Father's Day tomorrow. We still don't know the cutline yet, but it should start becoming apparent pretty soon what that number will be as golfers come in and post their scores.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Michelson and Speith are still on the course at +8, McIlroy at +10, and Tiger finished at +10. Speith, Michelson, and McIlroy just finished the front nine.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Tricky Rickie Fowler is at +2 now.....he's hanging in there for contention on the weekend. Poulter is at even par, and few others at +1......all of those making the cut will have 2 more rounds to make up some ground.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:29 PM
I seriously doubt that Dustin Johnson will fall apart......but he could get into trouble with some holes and drop back to the field in the next two days.....you just never can tell with a course like Shinnecock Hillls and the pressure on the line in the US Open.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:38 PM
If Michelson and Speith don't start getting some birdies soon......they will be sweating bullets to make the cut for the weekend. McIlroy and Tiger will most likely spend Father's Day somewhere else. Heck.....McIlroy needs a hole in one and two eagles just to get back to +10....he's +14 now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Don't tell anybody......but Michelson just birdied #10 to go to +7. Now they are predicting the cutline to be +8.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Last year's champion Brooks Koepka has birdied 4 of his last 5 holes to get it to +3 now.....so he's heating it up a little now. Koepka had also bogeyed two holes today.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Now Mickelson hits another one in birdieland on the par-3 11th hole. He'll need to make that putt, though. Speith is aching for a birdie.....he just is not getting it close today. NOPE.....that one hops over the green too. Can't make birdies hitting it like that. WOOHOO....Mr. Jimmy Walker from Boerne just knocked in an eagle from the fairway. Way to go Jimmy!!

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Justin Rose makes par on hole #4 to stay at even par for the tournament. He's playing with Jimmy Walker in that group.....they have 5 holes left today.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Mickelson's putt for birdie was left woefully short.....he pars. Speith will bogey it. Fowler on the 10th missed his birdie try.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 03:54 PM
McIlroy gets one back with a birdie

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Speith needs a birdie bad to make sure he makes the cut. Jason Day is +12.....well outside the cutline. He'll spend Father's Day with his family.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Looks to me like those players willing to be more aggressive with their approach shots to the greens and take a few more chances are having that pay off for them today. Speith FINALLY makes a birdie. Scott Piercy ends his round with a birdie to stand at even par for the tournament.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:27 PM
McIlroy birdies again.....a little too late now.....he's still +12 for the tournament. Charlie Hoffman gets a birdie to go to even par and only 4 back of DJ now. He's definitely a contender.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Fowler needs a couple of more birdies, but has missed two makers on the last two holes.....both within 10 feet. But he's not the Lone Ranger in that regard.....many, many players have been missing relatively close and makeable putts all day long today.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Now Poulter has an easy tap-in for birdie to move to 2 under for the tournament.....only 2 shots out of the lead. Both Rose and Fowler miss their birdie putts.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:38 PM
I don't know when it happened, but Speith is at +10 now.....and he just had that birdie. He must have went bogey bogey before that. He's in deep doo-doo to make the cut now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking about 9 over for the cutline.....but it could fall at 8 over. Mickelson is at 7 over......he's still not safe either. He'll par this one.....so one at #14, so he has 4 holes left today. Speith too.....he needs two birdies IMO.....and no more bogeys.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Rose at one under now......he's a definite contender this weekend. Now Speith birdies another one.....he goes down to 9 over......really needs one more birdie to be safe.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Charley Hoffman misses his birdie attempt at #13. Now Poulter has a bad stance....his ball is in the bunker and he's standing outside the bunker....but what a shot!! Within 2 feet of the hole......really a fantastic shot by all standards.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Bubba Watson puts it within 4 feet on the par-3 7th.....but he's at 12 over......not much chance to make the cut. Another amateur makes the cut at 7 over.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Here's Leishman at 3 over.....watch out for this guy if his putter gets hot this weekend. He'll par this one and stay +3 for now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Jordan just put another one in birdieland on #15.....maybe he decided to just play some golf and go for the pins. Fowler gets a birdie now and goes to +1 now.....look out for Rickie this weekend.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Wow....Poulter hits one close on the par 3......and now so does Mickelson on the 15th with Speith.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Both Speith and Mickelson need to sink these close putts for birdie......you just don't get that many chances this close at Shinnecock.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:58 PM
If Poulter sinks his putt.....he will go to -3 and only one shot back of DJ. Spieth makes his 3rd birdie in a row now to go back to even for the day at +8....he really needed that one.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Mickelson makes his birdie putt too and goes to +6. Justin Rose 3-putts and drops back to even par.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Here's Poulter's attempt now.....at the par-3 7th. It's about 12 feet up the slope....it turns right and falls in for another birdie. Poulter goes to -3 for the tournament and will be paired with DJ tomorrow if he doesn't screw up his round coming in.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Another Memphis qualifier Tyler Duncun finishes at +5 to make the cut. Congrats to him.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Leishman and Fowler grouped together today.....Leishman looking at birdie here. He slides it by an remains at +3. Now Fowler for par.....he hit a good one out of the bunker and this one is about 6 feet for par. He hasn't made too many today.....and doesn't make this one either. He drops back to +2 now. Koepka for birdie and he sinks it....what a day he's having......4 under on today's round so far with 6 birdies and 2 bogeys.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Koepka is last year's champion and has gotten it to 1 over today. Look out for him on the weekend also.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Poulter is in a world of trouble here on one of his last holes for the day.....he's already hitting his 4th shot on this hole. Now Jordan Spieth has made his 4th birdie in a row to get that total down to +7.....he's gonna play this weekend if he can par in.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Mickelson for birdie now....and it just hangs on the right side.....it won't drop. He remains at +6. Rose bogeys again. Poulter is still in trouble on the 8th hole and has a mile for double bogey. All that good play out the window on one hole. Now he's looking at a tester for triple.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Hoffman still even par.....Keopka at +1 still playing. Brian Harman at 18 for birdie.....just leaves it short and finishes at +4. Spieth, Mickelson and McIlroy have 17 and 18 to go still.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Poulter triple bogeys the 8th hole and drops a big one.....back to one over now. That's what this course can do to you. He won't be paired with the leader Dustin Johnson tomorrow afterall.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Koepka misses his birdie on 18 and will finish with a par and a 65 today at +1 for the tournament.....low round of the day.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Mickelson and McIlroy on the par-3 17th have the hole surrounded with very close shots.....but Mac is out of contention to make the cut.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Fowler makes his birdie on 16 with that authoratative putt. Spieth for a long birdie attempt on 17 comes up short after making 4 straight birdies. Now Mickelson from 14 feet for birdie.....just short for a tap-in par. Mac for birdie from 9 feet and he sinks it to go to +10.....too little too late for Mac.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Spieth has a tester for par here and really needs it.....about 5 feet and a breaker. He misses and drops back to +8.....right on the cutline IMO.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Fowler finds the greenside bunker on the par-3 17th. Paul Casey on 18 will par it to finish at +6. Poulter on 9 misses the green on his approach.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Mac, Spieth, and Mickelson teeing off now on the 18th for their final hole of the day. The official cutline is now +8, and Spieth needs par.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Jordan finds the fairway and the tension mounts for him to make the cut. Mickelson is at +6 and has some room to spare a bogey.....but not Spieth. Mac needs to hole out from the fairway to make the cut.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Patrick Reed makes a looong birdie putt on 18 to end his day at +5. Pouter at 9 for par.....he leaves it short from 15 feet and finishes at +1 for the day.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Mickelson on the putting surface about where Patrick Reed just made his putt from. Now Spieth's turn. Oh Wow.....he hits it over the pin and it hangs in the long grass edging around the back bunker....Spieth is in trouble now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:44 PM
Charley Hoffman birdies to go to -1. Fowler hasn't missed a fairway today. Hoffman on the 17th tee now.....that par 3. He leaves it short of the green. Leishman and Fowler on 18th tee now.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Spieth's dilemma.....he needs to get up and down for par to make the cut. I don't know if he can get a good address on this ball.....it's on the edge of falling into the bunker. He chunks it.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Say Bye Bye US Open, Jordan....unless you can make this putt. Mickelson now for a 36 footer for birdie. NOPE.....too short and still 5 feet left for par.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Mac now for birdie.....if he makes this putt he still misses the cut by one. NOPE.....slides by on the left side.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Spieth's live or die putt here.....downhill and slippery......about 10 feet. NOPE.....slides to the right. Bogeys 17 and 18 to miss the cut in a major. He's very disappointed.....but hey.....he should be. Mickelson pars for a 69 and +6 for the tournament. Spieth and McIlroy going home this weekend.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Hoffman pars 17 to stay at -1. I'd say Jordan Spieth has some issues with his golf game he needs to address and work out. He birdies four in a row, then bogies two in a row to finish out of the weekend. Any way you look at it......he failed miserably this week. So did McIlroy.....these kind of players have no business missing the cutline in a US Open.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:55 PM
I wonder if Sergio made the cut.....hadn't heard yet. Cutline was +8 today.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Fowler and Leishman on 18 now.....Matsuyama too. He makes a birdie to go to +5 for his finish today. Some guy named Meyer makes a mile-long putt on 16 to cut his score from +8 to +7.....they say he's a club pro that qualified.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Fowler misses another short putt.....he bogeys 18 to finish at +2 today. Leishman finishes at +3.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:07 PM
I'd say Justin Johnson is enjoying the scenery on Long Island right about now and getting plenty of rest for tomorrow's action with his lead. Kuchar will not make the cut either. Thomas Howell III will finish his day at +2, but he does have the game to light it up sometimes.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Bill Haas at +7 for a par at 18....slides by. He bogeys 18 and sits at +8.....right on the cutline.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Hoffman for bogey at 18.....YES. He shoots 69 and finishes even par for the tournament. A good putt to keep him close to the leader for the weekend.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Geez.....Spieth, McIlroy, Day, Kuchar, and no telling how many other big names did not make the cut this year. I wonder if Stricker made it at age 51.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Steve Stricker did make the cut at +8.....he plays on both Tours......the PGA and the Senior PGA now at age 51. But not very many events on the regular Tour when he can win on the Senior Tour.

regaleagle
06-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Tiger didn't make it, and neither did Sergio. Lots of very good players spending Father's Day at home this year. Maybe not such a bad thing for these players.....none of them is hurting financially, for sure. Home on Father's Day with a family environment might do some of them some good in the middle of the season.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:14 AM
It's Saturday....Moving Day at the US Open. Looks like everybody will be wanting to move under par. But I don't think so......they usually make the setup more difficult and the greens will dry out and get even faster. Holding shots and putting the ball on the green in regulation will be much more difficult today.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:17 AM
There will be some moving allright......scores moving upward, LOL. If you are one of the few golfers shooting par or better today.....then you should be moving past many in the field. Each year the tournament really starts today.......Thursday and Friday were merely to determine who would be playing for the money and title this year.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:20 AM
I'm still pulling for Mickelson, but he's so far back it's not really feasible for him to be considered......he's a full 10 strokes back of Dustin Johnson. I'm definitely pulling for an American golfer to win our US Open......not a golfer from another nation.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:23 AM
DJ seems to be in his best form right now.....and with that 4 stroke lead he has he will be difficult to beat. He could beat himself on this brutal course......it comes down to shot management and hitting the fairways. Approach shots are just as important, and so is putting, hahaha. This course is a monster!!!

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Maybe they will leave the course alone and give some easier hole locations on Saturday to bring the field closer together for a more thrilling finish in the final round on Sunday.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Moving Day means some of those golfers in the back of the pack and middle of the pack will be taking more chances with the course today to try and gain some strokes on the rest of the field and be in a better position on Sunday to make a better paycheck.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:35 AM
This means we should see a few early scores posted today that will be a low score for today by the time all the scores are posted this evening.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Mickelson is playing with England's bearded Andrew Johnston and they just teed off on #1. I think Phil will enjoy playing with this guy......he's easy going and fun to play with.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Daniel Berger has birdied 3 of the first 6 holes on the course today without a bogey......he's already trying to make a move. He stands at +5 now.....he started at +8.....yesterday's cutline.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:47 AM
The 3 amateurs that made the cut for this year's US Open are not eligible to make a paycheck......only to play for the competition like most of us. And the memories, of course......the notoriety and everything else that goes with it.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:50 AM
The object today is to minimize your hiccups and give yourself plenty of putts for birdies......easier said than done here.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:51 AM
The conditions are as good as can be expected today.....beautiful and sunny with a light wind from the west. I expect to see the wind pick up this afternoon for the later groups.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Zack Johnson birdies the first hole today and is off to a good start. Mickelson and Johnston both par the first two holes.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Phil Mickelson is leading the field after two rounds in fairways hit.....27 out of 29. That's an interesting stat. But I think a better stat is most greens in regulation. Not sure about fewest putts......that stat can be misleading, LOL. But it's still a positive stat. I'll take the most greens in regulation every time over the other two......especially on this golf course.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Tony Finau has one par, two bogeys, and two birdies so far.....so he's roller coastering at even par, LOL today.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Mickelson stays at even par thru the first 3 holes today and remains at +6. I think Johnston's character is to take a few more chances and play a little looser than Phil does. This pairing could actually help Phil to play a little looser also.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Mickelson birdies the 4th hole now......makes a really good putt to go to +5 for the tournament.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Lots of players from England made the cut this year.....they must know how to play a course like this better than most American players.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Mickelson did not hit this fairway on #5.....he's in the fairway bunker with a tough shot. He'll have to layup here and take his medicine. Luckily, it's a par 5 hole, but he barely reaches the fairway and gets it out. It was a nasty lie in the bunker and he didn't hit it cleanly enough.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Nope.....he's in the heather......not even in the fairway. This could be one of those hiccup holes for Phil that you try to avoid.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Now Mickelson hitting his 4th to the par-5 5th hole from 135 yds out. His ball is against the collar of the rough, but he hits the middle of the green. He's looking at a definite bogey here for sure......unless he sinks a long breaking putt.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Looks like both Mickelson and Johnston will fall back to the field on this par 5 hole.....both still have work to make their bogey. Phil makes his putt for bogey. He's back to +6. Johnston makes his bogey also......not good against the field on any par 5.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Patrick Reed from Houston birdies the first hole. Now Jimmy Walker from Boerne hits his approach shot past the pin on the 1st hole. I think both players start today at +5. Reed is already down to +4 after only one hole.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Johnston and Mickelson hit their approach shots into the long par-4 6th in good shape......both are in range of making their birdie putts.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Mickelson's downhill fast 26 footer comes up a foot short above the hole. Reed bogeys the 2nd hole. Johnston's putt slides by about 3 feet, but he taps in his par also.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Mickelson on the par-3 7th teebox now.....a 9 iron for Phil. He lands it short of the pin about 12 feet uphill. Now Johnston's turn. He's hitting an 8 iron. Very similar distance to Phil's shot but rolls sideways and then catches the slope.....it rolls off the green. He hit it with too much backspin.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:05 PM
I don't see any of the early teetimes making a big move yet. Maybe Daniel Berger is under par a couple of strokes.....but he started out at +8. Now Johnston's chip back up to the green hits and comes right back to his feet where he was standing when it hit it the first time. He lies 3 on the green now......wasted a shot by not hitting it hard enough.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Johnston doubles the par 3.....now Phil will attempt an uphill putt 25 feet for birdie. It curls left right at the hole.....a big slope there. He taps in for par.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:09 PM
So Phil has not made a move under par yet.....he has one birdie and one bogey on his round so far today. He's on the 8th teebox now.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:10 PM
He tries to carry the bunker off the tee, but lands in it......not good. Reed holes one out for birdie from off the green.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:12 PM
I wish they would show more play from some of the other groups.....but I guess they are not doing much and are too far back.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Just as I speak.....here's Daniel Berger on the 13th again making a birdie from a long distance. Berger is now 4 under on today's round and sits at +4 now.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Phil's in the greenside bunker now and playing his 3rd shot.....he hits a great shot down the slope to within 7 feet for par.....that was a tough lie in the bunker and a tough shot to negotiate.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Actually, Phil's about 9 feet away on this slick par putt.....it curls and runs past the hole. Now he's putting back up the slope and makes his bogey. Two shots in the bunker caused that bogey.....one off the tee and the other on the approach to the green. He falls back to +8 now.....two bogies and one birdie on the front nine.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Both of his bogeys came when he missed hitting the fairway off the tee. Both times he landed in a bunker.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Russel Knox birdies the first hole and goes to +3. He shot a low round of 66 yesterday and is a very good putter of the golfball.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Phil's missed another fairway at 9 hitting out of the heavy heather. He's only missed two fairways the first two rounds, and now has missed 3 consecutive fairways today.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Mickelson bogeys the 9th to drop yet another stroke back......not playing clean today so far. He's 2 over on today's round thru 9 holes. Three missed fairways in a row equals three bogeys in a row here at Shinnecock Hills......just sayin'.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Patrick Reed putts for eagle on the par 5 fifth, but should make his birdie. He's currently +3 for the tournament. Cantley almost holes one out, but it just hangs on the edge.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Daniel Berger is red hot with another birdie made.....he's 5 under today. Patrick Reed makes his birdie too.....he's only 2 over now for the tournament. Now Mickelson misses another fairway.....his 4th in a row. Missed fairways means missed greens in regulation which means another bogey on this course most of the time.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Phil bogeys the 10th hole and guess what......it's his 48th Birthday today, LOL. He's +9 now for the tournament and 3 over for the round so far. Johnston ain't doing any better.....he's +10 for the tournament now.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Number 2 in the world Justin Thomas is on the first hole now.....he starts at +4 for the tournament. Thomas pars the opening hole. Mickelson bogeys the par 3 11th after a shot into the bunker off the tee. Just not Phil's day on the course today. His chances were slim to none starting the round at +6 anyway.....he was a full 10 shots back of the lead on this tough course to make birdies and make a big move.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Daniel Berger has definitely made a big move today.....he's sitting at +2 now after starting his round at +8. His card is full of red circles for birdies.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:09 PM
48 yr old Wild Jim Furyk makes birdie on the first hole to go to +3 for the tournament.....a good start for Wild Jim(he's not really wild, but his swing "looks" wild). He's one of the players that was awarded an exemption to play in this tournament and is making the most of it.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Guess what??? Jim Furyk is 4th on the all-time money list with career earnings in excess of $70 million. How you like them apples, Huh? And that's just Tour earnings!!!

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Making birdie on the first hole can really set the tone for the player and how he scores at Shinnecock the rest of the round. It seems to have that kind of effect on the players. Daniel Berger and Patrick Reed both birdied the first hole today and both are under par for the round by several strokes today. We'll see if Wild Jim does the same.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Berger bogeyed #17 out of the greenside bunker, but now has a birdie look on 18 to shoot a 66 today......to tie the lowest round of the tournament so far.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Cabrera Bello knocks in a birdie to start his round today. And now Daniel Berger makes his birdie on 18 to shoot 66 today for a tournament standing of +2. Looks like he did some moving today, Huh? BTW.....par is 70 here, not 72.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Phil Mickelson is now walking off the course after a double bogey. We don't know what is going on. Now he's back on the teebox. He took a 2 stroke penalty there for some reason. I think he lost his cookies for a moment. I think he took a 9 there. You'll have to see the replay later on this one.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Rickie Fowler on the first tee now at +2.....6 shots back of DJ. His playing partner today is Russell Henley who shot very well yesterday.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Leishman at the first green makes an almost tap-in birdie......look out for Mark Leishman.....he can get very hot with his putter.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Berger says the greens were getting firmer and faster as he got along in his round today starting at around hole 14.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:37 PM
He's saying that this afternoon the conditions will be firmer and faster for those with the later teetimes and those just teeing off now.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Henley puts one about one foot on the first green for a tap-in birdie.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Fowler leaves that birdie just burning the lip.....he pars the first hole. Henley can make this one with his eyes closed for an easy birdie.....and he does.....make a birdie.....with eyes wide open, LOL.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Poulter on the first tee now.....starting 5 back at one over.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Brooks Koepka is his playing partner and last year's champion. Look out for this guy....he's real meat and potatoes.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:50 PM
I betcha the putting will become almost impossible this afternoon. I don't think we will see as many birdies for sure. And the wind should pick up as well.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Koepka looks like an outside linebacker or defensive end.....he's so built. But his playing partner Rickie Fowler can hit it as long as Brooks can.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Now Justin Rose is on the first tee at +1 for the tournament. This guy should be considered a favorite to win this thing....except that DJ is 5 strokes ahead, LOL. And DJ is the World's #1. Henrik Stenson of Sweden is his playing partner and has the game also.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Poulter pars and Koepka bogeys the first hole. Koepka found a greenside bunker and just could not get it close.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Rose hits behind his fairway approach shot to the first green and comes up woefully short. You don't expect to see that out of these professionals. Stenson puts his approach over the pin and will have a downhiller for birdie.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Koepka hits a 5 iron 235 yds for his approach to the 2nd green.....wind-aided.....but he's in good shape in the middle of the green.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Poulter in a greenside bunker on the 2nd hole. The flags are showing some steady winds now......not blowing hard, but steady and light.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Tommy Fleetwood of England on the first tee now....he shot a 66 yesterday. He's 27 yrs. old now. Charley Hoffman is his playing partner today at even par. Charley has a very good iron game.

regaleagle
06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Wow.....Koepka makes a birdie on #2 downhill and breaking a full 12 inches.....what a great putt.