PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 4a Dl

orange machine
06-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Anybody want to try to predict Dave Campbells top 10?

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Having done absolutely zero research, I'll take a shot in the dark:

Carthage
La Vega
Melissa
Argyle
Midlothian Heritage
Kennedale
Liberty Hill
Henderson (higher if they find a QB)
Kilgore
Stephenville

orange machine
06-05-2018, 08:19 AM
I think stephenville will be 1 or 2.

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 09:11 AM
I think stephenville will be 1 or 2.

Perhaps. They bring back some good pieces. I don't think they start ranked ahead of Carthage, though.

Dawgs
06-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Carthage is gonna be loaded on both lines and in the secondary. Hopefully the O-Line isn’t hurt too much with the loss of Chris Smith to SLC. He is a hell of a O-Line coach. We will have to wait and see about the other positions. Biggest question is how good Kelvontay is gonna be.

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Carthage is gonna be loaded on both lines and in the secondary. Hopefully the O-Line isn’t hurt too much with the loss of Chris Smith to SLC. He is a hell of a O-Line coach. We will have to wait and see about the other positions. Biggest question is how good Kelvontay is gonna be.

If you're gonna be loaded somewhere, along the lines and in the secondary is a great place to start. Takes some of the pressure off the skill guys to be world beaters. But, I imagine Carthage will have no issues finding athletes to keep the machine rolling. Carthage may not go 16-0 again, but if they play less than 14-15 games this year, I'd be surprised.

orange machine
06-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Having done absolutely zero research, I'll take a shot in the dark:

Carthage
La Vega
Melissa
Argyle
Midlothian Heritage
Kennedale
Liberty Hill
Henderson (higher if they find a QB)
Kilgore
Stephenville

I like the top 10 but in a different order and dropping Kennedale out of the top 10.

Carthage
Stephenville
La Vega
Midlothian Heritage
Argyle
Melissa
Kilgore
Henderson
Liberty Hill
Van

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 10:54 AM
I like the top 10 but in a different order and dropping Kennedale out of the top 10.

Carthage
Stephenville
La Vega
Midlothian Heritage
Argyle
Melissa
Kilgore
Henderson
Liberty Hill
Van

Van may be so beat up by the time they navigate that district, they'll be limping into the playoffs as the four-seed.

orange machine
06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Thats a good point, but if they can pull off some wins then they will be siting pretty.

Rocket Man
06-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Oh, wait a minute.......you said D1 top ten, not D2 bottom 10.

We're out of this conversation...........carry on fellas...........

orange machine
06-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Another team that might be beat up come district time is Argyle. Stephenville, La Vega, Chapel Hill, Liberty - Eylau. Then three other teams that are sure to be in the top 25 in district, Melissa, Celina and Paris.

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Another team that might be beat up come district time is Argyle. Stephenville, La Vega, Chapel Hill, Liberty - Eylau. Then three other teams that are sure to be in the top 25 in district, Melissa, Celina and Paris.

Region II is absolutely filthy this year. Toughest region by far in 4A. Whoever comes out of that gauntlet is gonna be a juggernaut. And I know Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore folks will say they are the District of Doom, but, for my dollar, District 7 is top-to-bottom the actual DoD this year, and District 5 is a close second. I mean, if Celina had stayed DII, they'd be my pick to make it to the state title game. But, with the bump up into DI and a very deep district, I think they'll have to come along way and fight their tales off just to make it three rounds deep. I could see them going into the playoffs anywhere from a two- to a four-seed.

orange machine
06-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Region II is absolutely filthy this year. Toughest region by far in 4A. Whoever comes out of that gauntlet is gonna be a juggernaut. And I know Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore folks will say they are the District of Doom, but, for my dollar, District 7 is top-to-bottom the actual DoD this year, and District 5 is a close second. I mean, if Celina had stayed DII, they'd be my pick to make it to the state title game. But, with the bump up into DI and a very deep district, I think they'll have to come along way and fight their tales off just to make it three rounds deep. I could see them going into the playoffs anywhere from a two- to a four-seed.

You are correct about Region II. The state title game should be pretty salty this year.

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 11:16 AM

You'll always have 2006, Rocket. Twas only 12 years ago.

Dawgs
06-05-2018, 11:38 AM
If you're gonna be loaded somewhere, along the lines and in the secondary is a great place to start. Takes some of the pressure off the skill guys to be world beaters. But, I imagine Carthage will have no issues finding athletes to keep the machine rolling. Carthage may not go 16-0 again, but if they play less than 14-15 games this year, I'd be surprised.

Agree about not going 16-0. Schedule is brutal. Could see Carthage dropping 2-3 games his year. We need to see how the QB situation plays out. Been pretty quite. Regardless we got some kids with a lot of pedigree coming up. And as far as athletes there is no shortage, they are just not proven. Gotta prove it with the big boys on Friday nights. Carthage is gonna be very young. Will have a buncha sophomores and juniors playing. Both those classes were undefeated as freshman. The senior class is not as strong, but has some nice pieces.

Dawgs
06-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Agree. RII is crazy. And I agree about D7. With that said I think a D10 team plays in the state title game. Carthage, Kilgore, or Henderson will have a fairly easy run on their side of the bracket, unless LH or EC makes a run. This is going to be a fun year. I think there is legit 10-12 teams that can win it all in D1 this year. Last year it was always gonna be Carthage, LV, or Argyle (with a healthy QB). This year I think it’s wide open.

d0tc0m
06-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Agree. RII is crazy. And I agree about D7. With that said I think a D10 team plays in the state title game. Carthage, Kilgore, or Henderson will have a fairly easy run on their side of the bracket, unless LH or EC makes a run. This is going to be a fun year. I think there is legit 10-12 teams that can win it all in D1 this year. Last year it was always gonna be Carthage, LV, or Argyle (with a healthy QB). This year I think it’s wide open.

I'd say there's a high probability a D10 team plays for the title. And, if I were a betting man, I'd say two D10 teams will play each other for the Region III title, too. I do really like LH coming into this year. It's felt like they've been building back towards their 2006-08 swagger a bit, and I think they've got a good group and some heavy hitters to make at least a semifinal appearance this fall. But, perhaps another Region IV will surprise. Boerne should still be decent, and I think Sealy will be improved, too.

Rocket Man
06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
You'll always have 2006, Rocket. Twas only 12 years ago.

Yes, yes I will.......thanks for the reminder, it made me smile.

It's nice to know someone else remembers.

jason
06-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Stephenville has some holes to fill and could be the best 0-5 team in the state headed into district...

Argyle
Abilene Wylie
Midlothian Heritage
Everman
Georgetown

orange machine
06-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Stephenville has some holes to fill and could be the best 0-5 team in the state headed into district...

Argyle
Abilene Wylie
Midlothian Heritage
Everman
Georgetown

Who is Stephenvilles qb? I know yall return a lot on both sides.

regaleagle
06-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Melissa will be tough this year......they have lots of seasoned returners and very good athletes coming back. Their program is plenty mature now.

orange machine
06-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Melissa will be tough this year......they have lots of seasoned returners and very good athletes coming back. Their program is plenty mature now.

My gut tells me Argyle and Melissa slug it out for the dist title, but you can never count out Celina of course. If Celina can get a passing game going they will be in the mix for sure.

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 06:39 AM
My gut tells me Argyle and Melissa slug it out for the dist title, but you can never count out Celina of course. If Celina can get a passing game going they will be in the mix for sure.

Celina will be much improved from last year. Lots of good pieces coming back. Lots of good pieces coming up from a very good JV to fill some holes. The Bobcats will have more size in spots where they needed size last year. We'll be veteran in spots and young in others, so there will be some growth that has to happen up front. But, like OM said, if the Bobcats have developed a passing game, then look out.

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Getting to this point, though, I think Melissa will open the season as the district favorite. With what they have coming back, it'd be hard not to make them the favorites. I'd rank District 7 — right now, on June 6 — in this order:

Melissa
Argyle
Celina
Paris
Sanger
Anna
Paris North Lamar

But, we've got a long way to go before any of this gets sorted out. So it could finish much differently than that. But, it's going to be a fun district for sure.

jason
06-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Who is Stephenvilles qb? I know yall return a lot on both sides.
Stephenville bringing back 17 of 22 starters (that's what it was after last season anyways), the majority of those on the defensive side so they should be solid.
Big holes to fill at QB and WR. There is a Junior QB who was going to be the man last year before Easton Jones' successful stem cell treatment on his elbow allowed him to return. The WR was a 6'5 great athlete who is playing for Texas State in the fall. This squad loaded with seniors. Their class was the one to watch when they were sophomores and they made a good run last year, a year earlier than everyone expected. High expectations for this bunch with big holes to fill and a tough schedule to say the least.

Bosqueville
06-06-2018, 09:01 AM
China Spring will surprise some folks this year. However, La Vega is La Vega and they have some crazy good skill players returning. They will be in search of a new QB and will be breaking in a new head coach.

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Stephenville bringing back 17 of 22 starters (that's what it was after last season anyways), the majority of those on the defensive side so they should be solid.
Big holes to fill at QB and WR. There is a Junior QB who was going to be the man last year before Easton Jones' successful stem cell treatment on his elbow allowed him to return. The WR was a 6'5 great athlete who is playing for Texas State in the fall. This squad loaded with seniors. Their class was the one to watch when they were sophomores and they made a good run last year, a year earlier than everyone expected. High expectations for this bunch with big holes to fill and a tough schedule to say the least.

Bringing back that many starters from a semifinal team, yeah, I imagine Stephenville will open the season somewhere near the top of the Top 10. But playing that ridiculous schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop somewhere between 12-20 rolling into district, not that it means anything at all. I mean, that's gotta be one of the toughest pre-district slates that I've seen in a while — a perennial 4A power, an up-and-coming 4A power with loads of offense, two 5A DII squads and a 5A DI team. That's nasty. And then the real season begins, and there's still not much of a letdown in the schedule. But the Jackets will be battled tested, that's for sure.

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 10:21 AM
China Spring will surprise some folks this year. However, La Vega is La Vega and they have some crazy good skill players returning. They will be in search of a new QB and will be breaking in a new head coach.

I would love to have a Celina/China Spring rematch at some point. Our one matchup in 2007 was a fun one. Realignment being what it is this go around, we might get to see the powder blue and the orange and white go at it again.

La Vega has always had the skill players. But, apart from 2007, and then the title game appearance in 2008 and championship in 2015, they just never seem to be able to put it all the way together. I don't know anything about the new coach and what he brings. But, there's always some transition in that first year, and not having an established QB won't help in that regard. I think the Pirates will be contenders, simply because of their athleticism, but they may not have the solidarity in place this year to carry them through Region II.

Rocket Man
06-06-2018, 10:51 AM
You'd think living in the area that I'd know, but who is the new La Vega coach?

Anyone know if Donnie Hyde is staying on as DC?

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 11:17 AM
You'd think living in the area that I'd know, but who is the new La Vega coach?

Anyone know if Donnie Hyde is staying on as DC?

A quick Google search, and as soon as the result popped up, I remembered, Don Hyde IS the new HC. I'm not sure if he'll retain his DC title, too, but he's definitely the successor for Coach Williams. So, La Vega will have a fairly smooth transition, I imagine. Hyde will be a good head coach, and the Pirates will continue to have one of the better defenses in 4A, probably.

orange machine
06-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Melissa brings back 15 of 22 starters.

Bosqueville
06-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Seems like baseball has taken over in Robinson and that's just sad..

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Melissa brings back 15 of 22 starters.

And most of those 15 are still young and very, very good.

orange machine
06-06-2018, 11:51 AM
And most of those 15 are still young and very, very good.

Yeah most of them are juniors or sophomores.

Rocket Man
06-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Seems like baseball has taken over in Robinson and that's just sad..

It's great that baseball has had so much success; however, the state of the football and other boys' programs is certainly sad. Two of the last three football seasons have been below .500 and I don't see how they avoid another below .500 season this year; I think at best they will go 4-6.

Rocket Man
06-06-2018, 11:58 AM
A quick Google search, and as soon as the result popped up, I remembered, Don Hyde IS the new HC. I'm not sure if he'll retain his DC title, too, but he's definitely the successor for Coach Williams. So, La Vega will have a fairly smooth transition, I imagine. Hyde will be a good head coach, and the Pirates will continue to have one of the better defenses in 4A, probably.

Thanks, I guess I could have done that, lazy bones here.

Donnie is from Robinson, an old Rocket from way back. I wish him well.

d0tc0m
06-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Yeah most of them are juniors or sophomores.

Melissa will be very good this year. Top 10, no doubt in my mind. But next year could be THE year for the Cardinals.

Dawgs
06-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Melissa will be very good this year. Top 10, no doubt in my mind. But next year could be THE year for the Cardinals.

Too bad they will be in D1 with Carthage next year. Carthage’s incoming juniors this year might be better overall then the seniors that just graduated. The Dawgs will be scary good again in 2019. But we will have to wait and see about 2018. Might have some growing pains.

regaleagle
06-06-2018, 11:10 PM
I hope some of Argyle's really good baseball players with DI verbals will play this season. Brendan Dixon and Dillon Carter are star players in football, but have baseball verbals. Our QB Hayden Clearman is a great player on defense as well as at the QB position, but he's working on getting a baseball scholarship. There's a few others in the same boat. Argyle will be Argyle and play great with whoever they have......but it helps to have some of these seasoned veterans returning.....they are key pieces to the team. And now this season Argyle will be tested in Region II big time.....and even in preseason big time.

d0tc0m
06-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Too bad they will be in D1 with Carthage next year. Carthage’s incoming juniors this year might be better overall then the seniors that just graduated. The Dawgs will be scary good again in 2019. But we will have to wait and see about 2018. Might have some growing pains.

They also might not be. And even if they are, another team might be better overall than they are.

Dawgs
06-07-2018, 06:31 AM
They also might not be. And even if they are, another team might be better overall than they are.

Naw. Carthage best is better than everybody else’s best.

d0tc0m
06-07-2018, 06:45 AM
I hope some of Argyle's really good baseball players with DI verbals will play this season. Brendan Dixon and Dillon Carter are star players in football, but have baseball verbals. Our QB Hayden Clearman is a great player on defense as well as at the QB position, but he's working on getting a baseball scholarship. There's a few others in the same boat. Argyle will be Argyle and play great with whoever they have......but it helps to have some of these seasoned veterans returning.....they are key pieces to the team. And now this season Argyle will be tested in Region II big time.....and even in preseason big time.

It'd be a shame if they didn't play football their senior years. I would understand the logic, and I can't say I would blame them, but, as good as they are, I imagine they would regret not playing. But like you said, regal, Argyle is such that they'll find kids to fill the holes, should those seniors choose not to play.

d0tc0m
06-07-2018, 06:47 AM
Naw. Carthage best is better than everybody else’s best.

It has been six times, anyway.

Rocket Man
06-07-2018, 04:34 PM

I'd understand if they wanted to forgo football to avoid potentially jeopardizing their baseball careers because of an injury. Braxton decided to do that this past season at Robinson and with a $1.38 MM MLB draft slot I think he made a good decision, but time will certainly tell.

regaleagle
06-07-2018, 09:04 PM
In Braxton's case and in Austin Aune's case......are you gonna turn down a Million??? Nope....even if you don't make it, you made it. Now you have options you didn't have before even if you don't make it.

orange machine
06-07-2018, 09:19 PM
In Braxton's case and in Austin Aune's case......are you gonna turn down a Million??? Nope....even if you don't make it, you made it. Now you have options you didn't have before even if you don't make it.

Argyle only has I think 2 players that are gonna be seniors next year playing baseball. Clearman and Dixon.

LHPfactory
06-07-2018, 11:16 PM
I'd say there's a high probability a D10 team plays for the title. And, if I were a betting man, I'd say two D10 teams will play each other for the Region III title, too. I do really like LH coming into this year. It's felt like they've been building back towards their 2006-08 swagger a bit, and I think they've got a good group and some heavy hitters to make at least a semifinal appearance this fall. But, perhaps another Region IV will surprise. Boerne should still be decent, and I think Sealy will be improved, too.

LH is likely starting about 20 of their almost 40 Seniors this fall, several All district players returning as well. The Class of 2019 are a very special bunch, Hard working, unselfish, aggressive and relentlessly tough competitors describes my football children. That coupled with being led by Jeff Walker, the most prolific Slot-T Coach that the sport has ever known makes me very optimistic about the Panthers this fall. Anything can happen on any given Friday night, to prepare these boys are playing exclusively a 5A schedule from the second scrimmage all the way to district, looking forward to August.

Bosqueville
06-08-2018, 07:55 AM
LH is likely starting about 20 of their almost 40 Seniors this fall, several All district players returning as well. The Class of 2019 are a very special bunch, Hard working, unselfish, aggressive and relentlessly tough competitors describes my football children. That coupled with being led by Jeff Walker, the most prolific Slot-T Coach that the sport has ever known makes me very optimistic about the Panthers this fall. Anything can happen on any given Friday night, to prepare these boys are playing exclusively a 5A schedule from the second scrimmage all the way to district, looking forward to August.

I still have nightmares of watching this offense last year. It’s something to see and so darn frustrating at the same time. I think we see LH in AT&T next December..

Dawgs
06-08-2018, 11:34 AM
I still have nightmares of watching this offense last year. It’s something to see and so darn frustrating at the same time. I think we see LH in AT&T next December..

I think they should be the favorite to come out of R4. They will have a tough match up in the semis. Depends on who they play if the will go to AT&T. I think LH is a team that can definitely win a title this year.

jason
06-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Good read about what Stephenville has coming back.

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/20180608/graham-caylor-among-many-returning-grid-standouts

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Argyle only has I think 2 players that are gonna be seniors next year playing baseball. Clearman and Dixon.

Nope......the King Brothers at 2nd and catcher, Clearman in RF, Dixon at SS, Dillon Carter in CF, Ricker on 1st. Gonzales in LF and Merka at 3B will be juniors. Then there are some good players on the bench that could have started for many other teams this year. There were only 3 seniors on this season's team......out of 25 players.

So basically the whole starting lineup is coming back......except Ricker will take over at 1st base full time instead of only when Bryson Hudgens was pitching. When Ricker is pitching, they will have someone else to play 1st. So Argyle graduated two good pitchers also......Hudgens and Abrego......but still has a deep staff for next season.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Or maybe you meant that Clearman and Dixon will not be playing football next season??? I think both will play, but we will wait and see. Clearman and Dixon both have devoted tons of time and training into becoming quality football players.......they both hold key positions as starters and a leadership role.

orange machine
06-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Or maybe you meant that Clearman and Dixon will not be playing football next season??? I think both will play, but we will wait and see. Clearman and Dixon both have devoted tons of time and training into becoming quality football players.......they both hold key positions as starters and a leadership role.

I was saying I believe that are the only two on the baseball team playing football.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 03:06 PM
I wonder what the coaching staff does when they have an obvious State Title contender in baseball and so many good athletes playing on the baseball team that also played on the football team. Not a normal problem in Texas High School sports.......football is KING. There are some predominately "baseball" schools.....just like "basketball" schools. But Argyle has been a contender in just about all sports over the years. Now we have an upcoming very good senior class(I think the junior class might be even better) with just about every starter on the baseball team committing verbally to some DI schools.......very unusual. In the larger classifications there is more enrollment to divide up the athletes into different sports. I think Argyle enrollment is below 800. Most Division II 5A's have half again more enrollment.....so definitely a problematic issue for 4A's and below. I think Abilene Wylie probably ran into this same problem the last few years.......maybe some other teams too. I reckon it's an ongoing issue for Texarkana Pleasant Grove too.......and maybe the reason why Spring Hill is not very good in football. West in 3A has a great baseball program......they are not exactly contenders in football either.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 03:19 PM
I was saying I believe that are the only two on the baseball team playing football.

I think there were some "non-starters" on the bench this past season that played football too that will be seniors this year. But if you can't break into the starting lineup as a senior, then why even play baseball your final year??? In football, there are more positions available to get playing time than in baseball.....offense and defense and special teams. If Clearman and Dixon do not play football this season.......Argyle will not be able to fill those positions with an equally skilled and mature player.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Dillon Carter was a star player at D-back his soph season when his older brother was a star receiver on the team as a senior. Last season Dillon did not return to play football.....he's verbally committed to play baseball for TCU. I would love to see Dillon return to the football field for his senior season......he's got all kinds of athletic prowess. He was actually more highly rated by the Argyle coaching staff at D-Back and running back the punts than Brendan Dixon. Dixon returned to play football last season, but Carter sat out for baseball. Dixon has had a verbal with UT to play baseball since his freshman year.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 03:49 PM
I tell ya what......those King Twins would be a force on the football field, for sure. What great athletes both of them are.....they have size, speed, great hand to eye coordination, and are just pure athletes. I guess the coaches already made a run at them in previous years.....too late now.....they will be seniors this season. Totally all-in for baseball....and will be playing for UT-Rio Grand Valley.

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 04:07 PM
From what I've been able to read.....UT-RGV(Edinburg) is in the WAC. This year's MLB draft took 13 WAC players in the draft.....5 in the first 10 rounds. UT-RVG played TCU, TTech, Texas, and Miss. State this season.....among all the others in and out of conference play. What else do you want to know???

regaleagle
06-10-2018, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure about other 4A D-1 schools, but seems to me like Argyle has less cross-over now from the football team to other sports than they did in previous seasons when Argyle was D-2. Even in Track & Field......there's just not as many football players in the Track program nowadays as there used to be. Same in all the other Boys Sports.....I guess when you have a very successful football program like Argyle does......they keep the boys in the program focused on football. But heck, Argyle has had a winning program for about 13 yrs.....most of its history. I guess with the growth in enrollment Argyle was able to get enough boys to compete in all the other sports now.

LHPfactory
06-11-2018, 02:28 AM
Strictly Guessing What DCTF will rank the teams I would have to say something to include the following teams:

Carthage
Midlothian Heritage
Stephenville
Liberty Hill
La Vega
Argyle
Kennedale
Henderson
Hirschi
Celina

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Good read about what Stephenville has coming back.

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/20180608/graham-caylor-among-many-returning-grid-standouts

Yellowjackets ought to start the season ranked pretty high. I wouldn't put them No. 1, but I'd be comfortable slotting them in at No. 2 ... for whatever it's worth.

Sounds like they have a really good crew coming back. And another little Stidham in the ranks...? That will certainly be a good thing.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Strictly Guessing What DCTF will rank the teams I would have to say something to include the following teams:

Carthage
Midlothian Heritage
Stephenville
Liberty Hill
La Vega
Argyle
Kennedale
Henderson
Hirschi
Celina

Man, I forgot about Hirschi. With D Foster coming back, that should put them in the top 10 automatically. I can't think of a better RB in 4A this year.

And I can't see Celina starting the year ranked in the top 10, as much as I wish they would. But if they have found a passing game this offseason, it won't take them long to crack into the ranks.

Dawgs
06-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Man, I forgot about Hirschi. With D Foster coming back, that should put them in the top 10 automatically. I can't think of a better RB in 4A this year.

And I can't see Celina starting the year ranked in the top 10, as much as I wish they would. But if they have found a passing game this offseason, it won't take them long to crack into the ranks.

D. Foster will be the best player in 4a. Kid is a beast.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 08:54 AM
D. Foster will be the best player in 4a. Kid is a beast.

Agreed. Was probably second in 4A last year behind only Ingram. Undisputed best player in 4A this year.

And I don't see much in Region I that will stand in Hirschi's way of a semifinal appearance. Perhaps Seminole brings enough back from a decent season last year? But they're bumping up from Division II. Hirchi's biggest competition in the region will come from their own district, but I don't see enough firepower in any of those teams to truly compete with the Huskies for the Region I title. But, who knows, could be some surprises.

jason
06-11-2018, 08:58 AM
And another little Stidham in the ranks...?negative - I don't know the current QB situation. Last season when Jones was out there were 2 underclassman candidates to take over the starting job and when he returned, I don't remember who was the backup or if either one of them will contend to start this year.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 09:08 AM
negative - I don't know the current QB situation. Last season when Jones was out there were 2 underclassman candidates to take over the starting job and when he returned, I don't remember who was the backup or if either one of them will contend to start this year.

Gotcha. I just saw in that article that Austin Stidham is an incoming senior, wasn't sure what position he played or if he brought any of the same athleticism that his brother did or not.

Dawgs
06-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Agreed. Was probably second in 4A last year behind only Ingram. Undisputed best player in 4A this year.

And I don't see much in Region I that will stand in Hirschi's way of a semifinal appearance. Perhaps Seminole brings enough back from a decent season last year? But they're bumping up from Division II. Hirchi's biggest competition in the region will come from their own district, but I don't see enough firepower in any of those teams to truly compete with the Huskies for the Region I title. But, who knows, could be some surprises.

Saw where Foster just commutes to TCU.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Saw where Foster just commutes to TCU.

Big pickup for the Frogs. I was hoping Chad Morris could lure him to Arkansas. But TCU's a good fit for Foster, probably. Patterson will take care of him.

jason
06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Gotcha. I just saw in that article that Austin Stidham is an incoming senior, wasn't sure what position he played or if he brought any of the same athleticism that his brother did or not.
yeah, that is confusing with such and uncommon last name - no relation though - at least they're not brother's anyways

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
yeah, that is confusing with such and uncommon last name - no relation though - at least they're not brother's anyways

Ah, a little presumptuous on my part.

At any rate, it looks like the Yellowjackets will be right in the thick of it come December, assuming they find a serviceable signal caller, which they always seem to do.

regaleagle
06-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Carthage
Midlothian Heritage
Stephenville
Liberty Hill
La Vega
Argyle
Kennedale
Henderson
Hirschi
Celina

I really believe that Melissa will belong in this ranking......maybe even moreso than Argyle and Celina. I think they will be absolutely "loaded" with talent.

regaleagle
06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
What keeps Argyle always highly ranked and very good is the program, not necessarily special talent on the field. Yes, the Eagles do have a few good athletes every year, but not any more than most schools they play. Stephenville always seems to produce really good qb's......and that's a huge advantage in football, especially at the high school level. In college, most universities with decent football programs can recruit good qb's......except UT, LOL. It's just not the same at the high school level....you need a good program to develop qb's early......or just get lucky that a kid with tons of natural ability comes along every 10 yrs. Obviously......high caliber running backs are equally important as qb's in high school. I think Carthage has had both in the years they have won the State Title.

regaleagle
06-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Argyle had both last season until Jon Copeland went down with an ankle injury late in the season. Clearman came in and performed very well......maybe should have won that game against Stephenville......but that's history now. It was obvious Stephenville had more talent and size on the field than Argyle, yet the Eagles were right there at the end to win it. So the program is very important in Argyle......just like some other schools that are ranked highly every season. Down years are rare for schools with deep football programs and an established coaching staff.....not the norm.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 01:19 PM
I really believe that Melissa will belong in this ranking......maybe even moreso than Argyle and Celina. I think they will be absolutely "loaded" with talent.

They certainly deserve to be ranked ahead of Celina to start the year. Melissa is stacked with a load of returning talent that is still fairly young. But they got absolutely walloped against Pleasant Grove last year in the Region II finals. It'll be interesting to see how they respond. Did it humble them and send them into the offseason hungrier than before? Or did it take away the notion that they could compete with and become legitimate contenders? I lean towards the former. But, time will tell.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 01:21 PM
And, like I said, if Celina has found a passing game this offseason, then they'll be a force. The defense should be pretty salty. And the offense has good speed at the QB and RB positions. With the addition of some good skill kids coming up from a really salty JV team last year, I look for the Bobcats to make some big jumps. But, we'll need some of that young talent to step up and grow up quickly.

orange machine
06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
They certainly deserve to be ranked ahead of Celina to start the year. Melissa is stacked with a load of returning talent that is still fairly young. But they got absolutely walloped against Pleasant Grove last year in the Region II finals. It'll be interesting to see how they respond. Did it humble them and send them into the offseason hungrier than before? Or did it take away the notion that they could compete with and become legitimate contenders? I lean towards the former. But, time will tell.

The PG game was a great learning experiance for a very young Melissa team last year. PG jumped out early in the game with a predominantly senior lead team. I think after PG scored so quick the young Melissa crew was shell shocked. That shouldn't happen this year. As far as talent and athletes Melissa is loaded. If the team comes together they have the personnel to compete for a title.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
The PG game was a great learning experiance for a very young Melissa team last year. PG jumped out early in the game with a predominantly senior lead team. I think after PG scored so quick the young Melissa crew was shell shocked. That shouldn't happen this year. As far as talent and athletes Melissa is loaded. If the team comes together they have the personnel to compete for a title.

I figured as much. For me, it wasn't so much that PG jump out early. It was just the way they physically manhandled Melissa the whole game. But that has to do with Melissa's youth. And you're right, they are absolutely loaded, top-to-bottom. They've got an embarrassment of riches in the skill positions ... for the next two years. They're probably the District 7 favorites right now. But, man, there should be some great games in this district.

orange machine
06-11-2018, 03:06 PM
I figured as much. For me, it wasn't so much that PG jump out early. It was just the way they physically manhandled Melissa the whole game. But that has to do with Melissa's youth. And you're right, they are absolutely loaded, top-to-bottom. They've got an embarrassment of riches in the skill positions ... for the next two years. They're probably the District 7 favorites right now. But, man, there should be some great games in this district.

They did whatever they wanted that's for sure. I think that's where Melissa's youth showed up. They couldn't stop the bleeding.

d0tc0m
06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
They did whatever they wanted that's for sure. I think that's where Melissa's youth showed up. They couldn't stop the bleeding.

Another year for their physical growth to catch up with their athletic ability. They could be scary good come district/playoff time.

cowboyandchrist
06-11-2018, 08:08 PM
The Carthage Dawgs have three D linemen and two from the secondary coming back.
Three O linemen coming back and add the super sophomore 6' 5" 285 to line this year and the protection and run blocking will be good.
State champ QB coming back.
May be one of the best running backs in 4A kelvonta Dixon (K Ingram's little brother), he broke his leg last year second game of the season.
He started on defense and already has D1 offers as a sophomore.(fastest player on the Dawg roster last year)
The freshmen and sophomore class's coming up are loaded with athletes.
Question marks, replacing the best trio of linebackers we have ever had and Frisbee catching Dawgs at wide receiver will have to be answered.
I truly believe the 2018 Dawgs can make a run at the three Pete, but they will not dominate like they did last year.
The 2017 Dawgs may very well have been the best Dawg team we have had, we had outstanding teams before but last year that team just made it look easy.
I agree with Dawg, there are going to be 8 to 10 teams good enough to win the title in 2018.
Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

d0tc0m
06-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Three O linemen coming back and add the super sophomore 6' 5" 285 to line this year and the protection and run blocking will be good.
May be one of the best running backs in 4A kelvonta Dixon (K Ingram's little brother), he broke his leg last year second game of the season.
He started on defense and already has D1 offers as a sophomore.(fastest player on the Dawg roster last year)
Question marks, replacing the best trio of linebackers we have ever had and Frisbee catching Dawgs at wide receiver will have to be answered.
I truly believe the 2018 Dawgs can make a run at the three Pete, but they will not dominate like they did last year.
The 2017 Dawgs may very well have been the best Dawg team we have had, we had outstanding teams before but last year that team just made it look easy.
I agree with Dawg, there are going to be 8 to 10 teams good enough to win the title in 2018.
Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

Carthage will be back in the thick of it this year, there's no question. They've got athletes to spare. But replacing that LB corps is going to be a task. Those kids were monsters, man, and they set the tone for the defense.

Dawgs
06-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

It will be hard for Kelvontay Dixon to be the best RB in 4a when Tucker Smith will be the starting RB at Carthage this year. Kelvontay is going to line up everywhere. Out wide, in the slot, and at RB. But he is not Keaontay. They are not going to line him up and give him 200+ carries. I thought he would be too, but he is a different kind of athlete then his brother. He is going to be the best player in the secondary, and probably the best offensive weapon. But he is not going to be used like his brother was. Which for Carthage is a good thing. Keaontay is probably a top 5 player to ever come thru Carthage. But he was a legit D1 thoroughbred RB. You don’t play those kind of guys on D and special teams. Kelvontay is also a D1 guy. But he is the type that you play all over the field.

So please for your own sake stop saying we will have the best RB in 4a. Tucker is gonna be a beast, but not the best in 4a.

Dawgs
06-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Carthage will be back in the thick of it this year, there's no question. They've got athletes to spare. But replacing that LB corps is going to be a task. Those kids were monsters, man, and they set the tone for the defense.

We got 3-4 kids who should be very good LB, but you’re right. It’s going to be hard to replace those guys. All those guys played the position for pretty much 3 years. We won’t know exactly what we have until mid season.

Sville
06-12-2018, 09:42 AM
negative - I don't know the current QB situation. Last season when Jones was out there were 2 underclassman candidates to take over the starting job and when he returned, I don't remember who was the backup or if either one of them will contend to start this year.

FWIW Stanley has been at the helm during 7v7.

d0tc0m
06-12-2018, 11:16 AM
We got 3-4 kids who should be very good LB, but you’re right. It’s going to be hard to replace those guys. All those guys played the position for pretty much 3 years. We won’t know exactly what we have until mid season.

With the exception of last year, I feel like that's always been Carthage's deal. Know they're going to have talent. Not sure how that talent will come together exactly. Playoffs roll around and they turn into the world beaters they are.

d0tc0m
06-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Here's the official DCTF 4A Div. I top 10:

Argyle
Carthage
Stephenville
LaVega
Liberty Hill
Kennedale
Midlothian
Henderson
Wichita Falls Hirschi
Melissa

H3llR4z0r
06-21-2018, 08:24 AM
I just find it crazy to throw someone over the defending state champions at this point, even if they lost a few great players. They weren't supposed to be there 2 years ago, but they were. I'm not taking a shot at Argyle at all, because they have a great program, and great staff, but I do still feel like Carthage has the best coaching staff in the state of Texas, and I wouldn't take them off that #1 spot until someone knocks them off.

La Vega may be ranked kind of high in my opinion, due to their coach retiring. That's going to take some wind out of the sails. Hendo maybe a little low. Not too familiar with the rest of them.

jason
06-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Argyle
Carthage
Stephenville
LaVega
Liberty Hill
Kennedale
Midlothian
Henderson
Wichita Falls Hirschi
Melissa

1 vs 3 week 1
3 vs 7 week 4

jason
06-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Argyle
Carthage
Stephenville
LaVega
Liberty Hill
Kennedale
Midlothian
Henderson
Wichita Falls Hirschi
Melissa
The cover photo has Kennedale and Midlothian Heritage swapped

RadioBoots
06-21-2018, 04:53 PM
1 vs 3 week 1
3 vs 7 week 4

Also, 3 vs 4 week 8

Celina8
06-22-2018, 09:14 AM
When I look at the top 4, each of those teams could have #1 by their name in my humble opinion, and the remaining group on the top ten list are all strong contenders for a title this year.

jason
06-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Also, 3 vs 4 week 8
If #3 is still #3 in week 8 then I'd say things are going well...

Dawgs
06-22-2018, 12:25 PM
There are 3-4 teams that can make a case to be preseason #1. But a back to back champion on a 26 game win streak returning 4-5 starters on both sides of the ball has to be #1. Carthage will drop a couple games early in the year, and they won’t have a case for #1 after the 1st couple weeks of the season. But until then they are the team to beat.

Dawgs
06-22-2018, 01:08 PM
I might get killed for this but I just don’t see why Argyle gets so much love every year. They are always a little overrated for me. Since 2009 there are 4 teams that have won multiple championships. Argyle is not on that list. Just kinda seems they have something missing when their back is against the wall. A little bit of a front running team. Amazing overall record. But with the close losses in the playoffs I can’t put them up there with the Carthage, WOS, or Gilmers (and Sota until they lost Fedora). But like I said I am sure I will get killed for this post.

orange machine
06-22-2018, 04:27 PM
I might get killed for this but I just don’t see why Argyle gets so much love every year. They are always a little overrated for me. Since 2009 there are 4 teams that have won multiple championships. Argyle is not on that list. Just kinda seems they have something missing when their back is against the wall. A little bit of a front running team. Amazing overall record. But with the close losses in the playoffs I can’t put them up there with the Carthage, WOS, or Gilmers (and Sota until they lost Fedora). But like I said I am sure I will get killed for this post.

I believe Argyle is a top 10 but I'm not sure they belong in the top 5.

regaleagle
06-22-2018, 08:35 PM
I believe Argyle is a top 10 but I'm not sure they belong in the top 5.

I agree and I'm sure the Argyle coaching staff agrees. We are all surprised by this ranking.....Argyle did nothing to deserve it. There are just too many stacked teams coming in this season in D-1 with heavy senior classes......IMHO I would put Argyle around 6 or 7. Heck, we don't even know if our #2 QB last season will be our QB this season, or if Dixon will be back as well. Last season's lines were rather small compared to our competition.

orange machine
06-22-2018, 09:43 PM
I agree and I'm sure the Argyle coaching staff agrees. We are all surprised by this ranking.....Argyle did nothing to deserve it. There are just too many stacked teams coming in this season in D-1 with heavy senior classes......IMHO I would put Argyle around 6 or 7. Heck, we don't even know if our #2 QB last season will be our QB this season, or if Dixon will be back as well. Last season's lines were rather small compared to our competition.

Argyle will get a chance to prove they are worthy of the number 1 ranking that's for sure. They will get to play 3 top 10 teams in 4a Dl and some other teams in the top 25. They will either be really dang good or could be really banged up by the time the playoffs start.

d0tc0m
06-23-2018, 10:17 PM

I don't think you'll get killed for that comment. Heck, I doubt many Argyllians will even argue with you over it. And I completely understand the point you're trying to make. I think Argyle ranks in the top 3-5 every year, because, when was the last time they truly weren't one of the top 5 teams of their division? Just because they have only won ONE state title doesn't diminish the type of program they are, in my opinion, because only ONE team per division gets to take home hardware anyway, and the Eagles are almost always legitimately in the conversation for that every year since about 2011 or so.

And, if you look at the teams you listed (Carthage, WOS, Gilmer and Navasota), apart from Carthage, I don't think the others even belong in the conversation. Argyle has, apart from 2012, handled Gilmer. Navasota had a couple of good seasons in 2012 and 2015, but apart from that, they're far from an elite program, even with Fedora. They benefitted from just a great couple of classes to go with a good coach. WOS, like Carthage, deserves that No. 1 preseason ranking almost every year, because they have just built that kind of machine. But WOS has gotten a free pass into the semifinals for the past half decade at least. Granted, that's not their fault. They can only play who gets put in front of them. But I don't think even WOS's best teams could have beaten Argyle in the past 10 years or so — maybe the 2016 team.

If we're talking about truly elite programs since 2009, the list is super short for me. It's Carthage, and that's really it. I'd throw WOS in there, too, but, if we're just talking about Argyle's division, then the Mustangs are out of the conversation. But, they are an elite program in their own right.

And, to be fair, though it seems like Carthage has won a title every year since 2008, they actually haven't. In 2011, Argyle beat both Carthage AND Gilmer. In 2012, Carthage lost to El Campo. In 2014, Carthage was ousted in the second round ... again by El Campo. And, in 2015, Carthage fell short against La Vega. But, since 2008, Argyle has NOT played for at least a Region title only three times. Granted, that's not anywhere close to Carthage's seven state titles since 2008, but, it still warrants being in the top 5 every year, in my opinion.

So, I hear exactly what you're saying, Dawgs. But, when you hash it out a little bit, I think it's easier to see why Argyle gets the nod year in and year out.

d0tc0m
06-23-2018, 10:22 PM
Argyle will get a chance to prove they are worthy of the number 1 ranking that's for sure. They will get to play 3 top 10 teams in 4a Dl and some other teams in the top 25. They will either be really dang good or could be really banged up by the time the playoffs start.

I think the No. 1 ranking is going to be a carousel for the first half of the season, to be honest. There are going to be some big-time marquee matchups early on, and I think teams are going to get cycled in and out of that ranking. If Argyle truly holds onto that spot, then heaven help the rest of the division.

Apart from that, though, I think you'll see Melissa move up quickly. I saw where one of their receivers committed or was offered by TCU, can't remember. I think you'll see Stephenville move down, simply because they play a nasty pre-district schedule. And I think you'll see Liberty Hill and La Vega bounce up a few spots quickly.

But, just looking at it from here, at the end of June, it looks like these rankings will be blown to hell the first part of the season. And that's going to be awesome!

orange machine
06-24-2018, 01:51 AM
I think the No. 1 ranking is going to be a carousel for the first half of the season, to be honest. There are going to be some big-time marquee matchups early on, and I think teams are going to get cycled in and out of that ranking. If Argyle truly holds onto that spot, then heaven help the rest of the division.

Apart from that, though, I think you'll see Melissa move up quickly. I saw where one of their receivers committed or was offered by TCU, can't remember. I think you'll see Stephenville move down, simply because they play a nasty pre-district schedule. And I think you'll see Liberty Hill and La Vega bounce up a few spots quickly.

But, just looking at it from here, at the end of June, it looks like these rankings will be blown to hell the first part of the season. And that's going to be awesome!

Melissa WR Kennedy Lewis has committed to TCU. Melissa has 5 Dl players currently 4 of which are under classmen.

Wayne
06-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Argyle don’t deserve to be ranked #1 and I will be the first to admit that. However, as far as multiple championships, Argyle got robbed by a horrible call and everyone knows that.

orange machine
06-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Argyle don’t deserve to be ranked #1 and I will be the first to admit that. However, as far as multiple championships, Argyle got robbed by a horrible call and everyone knows that.

That is very true.

Dawgs
06-24-2018, 01:32 PM
And, if you look at the teams you listed (Carthage, WOS, Gilmer and Navasota), apart from Carthage, I don't think the others even belong in the conversation. Argyle has, apart from 2012, handled Gilmer. Navasota had a couple of good seasons in 2012 and 2015, but apart from that, they're far from an elite program, even with Fedora. They benefitted from just a great couple of classes to go with a good coach. WOS, like Carthage, deserves that No. 1 preseason ranking almost every year, because they have just built that kind of machine. But WOS has gotten a free pass into the semifinals for the past half decade at least. Granted, that's not their fault. They can only play who gets put in front of them. But I don't think even WOS's best teams could have beaten Argyle in the past 10 years or so — maybe the 2016 team.

And, to be fair, though it seems like Carthage has won a title every year since 2008, they actually haven't. In 2011, Argyle beat both Carthage AND Gilmer. In 2012, Carthage lost to El Campo. In 2014, Carthage was ousted in the second round ... again by El Campo. And, in 2015, Carthage fell short against La Vega. But, since 2008, Argyle has NOT played for at least a Region title only three times. Granted, that's not anywhere close to Carthage's seven state titles since 2008, but, it still warrants being in the top 5 every year, in my opinion.

So, I hear exactly what you're saying, Dawgs. But, when you hash it out a little bit, I think it's easier to see why Argyle gets the nod year in and year out.

Well I think there are some things we are disagree. First your statement Argyle has NOT played for a region title only 3 times since 2008. I have them getting beat in the 2nd round in 2008, 3rd round in 2009, 3rd round in 2012, 3rd round in 2016, and 3rd round in 2017. So that would be 5 times.

You mentioned Carthage in 2011, 2014, and 2015. Yea we got beat in the playoffs that year. Those were all rebuilding years. 2011 Carthage was 9-4, 2014 they were 6-6, and 2015 the Dawgs were 11-4. We routinely beat teams we were not supposed to in those years. In 2011 a group of sophomores took Argyle to OT. In 2015 Carthage shredded the #1 team in the state Navasota who was on like a 30 game win streak. That was a 4 loss team. 2012 we shouldn’t have lost that game. That is the only year I can remember where Carthage was the favorite and got beat. Hell 2016 Carthage was an underdog in almost every playoff game and won a title. In years where Carthage is the favorite they dominate teams in the playoffs.

Same for Gilmer. Yea they have lost some games in the playoffs. Argyle has a winning record against them. But when they are the favorite they get it done. And even some years where they are not the favorite they make very deep runs. Look at 2012. That team wasn’t even supposed to be any good and they made a run to the state championship game.

Hell I can’t remember the last time WOS has lost a game they should’ve won. You can say last year, but I think everybody knows they were a little down. Most people who followed 4a knew PG was the favorite. Obviously the split division helped them a lot, but still. Even before that they were always in the mix. And their current run is better than anything Argyle has put together.

Now I look at Argyle. I see a team that is favored to win it all every year. But have only got it done once. I cannot remember the last time Argyle was not the favorite to win a state championship. Then they follow that up looking like world beaters in the regular season. But I can name several times they shouldn’t have got beat and did. And I’m not sure they have ever won a game in the playoffs where they were considered the underdog. Ville shouldn’t have beat them. Wylie shouldn’t have beat them. In 2015 they had LV down 31-27 with 2 minutes left and had 2 of the worst 12 men on the field penalties back to back that I have ever seen in a big game. Couldn’t close the deal. 2014 double OT loss in the championship. Again couldn’t get it done. 2013 finally got over the hump. That was a mentally tough team. Great game against FF, and they rose to the occasion. I won’t go back any further that that, but there is more. In the games I just named Argyle was probably the underdog in 1 of those games. The one against LV. It just seems for whatever reason Argyle missing something. Not sure what it it. But year after year they are the favorite to win a ship and don’t for whatever reason.

I guess going by overall records they deserve to be in the mix for #1 every year. You make some good points. I cannot disputed they are a top 3-5 team ever year. My point is they rarely live up to the hype.

Dawgs
06-24-2018, 01:38 PM
And I am not trying to be an Argyle hater. I am just kinda interested what people thoughts are to why they don’t win more than they do in the playoffs.

Wayne
06-24-2018, 04:25 PM
I think a lot of it is the injury bug biting them at the end of the season. I don’t think they should have lost to the Ville either however we will never know what the outcome would have been if they hadn’t lost their QB. With or without their QB, there is no way they would have beat Carthage last year. Again, I don’t think Argyle deserves the #1 ranking and I would bet the farm on it that Argyle coaches, fans, and players feel the same way.

Dawgs
06-24-2018, 05:03 PM
I think a lot of it is the injury bug biting them at the end of the season. I don’t think they should have lost to the Ville either however we will never know what the outcome would have been if they hadn’t lost their QB. With or without their QB, there is no way they would have beat Carthage last year. Again, I don’t think Argyle deserves the #1 ranking and I would bet the farm on it that Argyle coaches, fans, and players feel the same way.

Clearman should be a heck of a QB this year I would think. I think the biggest thing that will help Argyle this year is being in a district with Melissa, Celina, and Paris. This is the toughest district I can remember them being in. They always have a tough pre-district schedule, but then a weak district might not help them prepare the for the playoffs as much as some of the other teams around the state. Look at the last 3 state champions. LV and Carthage. They both came out of unbelievably tough districts. One thing is for sure whoever comes out of R2 is gonna be battle tested. That region is stacked. And Argyle, LV, Ville, CS, Kennedale and a couple other teams all in the mix. That will be fun.

Wayne
06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Definitely a tough district and even tougher pre district. Can’t wait for the season to start for sure.

regaleagle
06-25-2018, 09:11 PM
I seriously doubt that there will be an undefeated team this season in 4A-D1. Heck, there may not even be an undefeated 4A-D1 team by the time district rolls around, LOL. I'm sure there will be some......but not what I would call contenders for the SC title. But it could end up being one of those seasons where a team jumps up and surprises all the preseason prognosticators.

regaleagle
06-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Looks like Argyle takes an early open week this season for the first time......after the 3rd predistrict game. Argyle will play at Melissa and at Celina this year......Celina the last week in district play.

orange machine
06-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Looks like Argyle takes an early open week this season for the first time......after the 3rd predistrict game. Argyle will play at Melissa and at Celina this year......Celina the last week in district play.

The Melissa, Argyle and Celina games are gonna be some fun games. I expect Celina and Argyle will be big and fundamentally sound. Melissa will be loaded with speed with a big oline that will average 285lbs. Defensively, Melissa has a mass of humanity at nose guard 6'3 330lb kid who is a top 20 recruit at nose guard for 2020. The rest of the defense can flat out fly. Gonna be a fun year watching this district.

Dawgs
06-25-2018, 09:43 PM
The Melissa, Argyle and Celina games are gonna be some fun games. I expect Celina and Argyle will be big and fundamentally sound. Melissa will be loaded with speed with a big oline that will average 285lbs. Defensively, Melissa has a mass of humanity at nose guard 6'3 330lb kid who is a top 20 recruit at nose guard for 2020. The rest of the defense can flat out fly. Gonna be a fun year watching this district.

How good is Celina going to be this year? Are they legit title contenders? 4a is better when Celina is a contender. Hope you guys have a great season. Would love to see you guys surprise some people and win that district.

Dawgs
06-25-2018, 09:58 PM
I seriously doubt that there will be an undefeated team this season in 4A-D1. Heck, there may not even be an undefeated 4A-D1 team by the time district rolls around, LOL. I'm sure there will be some......but not what I would call contenders for the SC title. But it could end up being one of those seasons where a team jumps up and surprises all the preseason prognosticators.
Not sure if you are talking about all season or regular season undefeated...I agree about not having a undefeated state champ. The top tier teams just have too tough of schedules this year. I can’t see any of them being able to get thru the season undefeated. As for top ranked teams going undefeated in the regular season it looks like Liberty Hill has the best shot. Pretty easy schedule. Hirschi also has a pretty easy schedule if they can get by Graham. But I think they have to prove it more than just 1 successful season. Kennedale also has a pretty easy schedule outside of Midlothian Heritage. If they win that game I can see them going undefeated. As far as Carthage, Argyle, Midlothian Heritage, La Vega, Ville, Henderson, or Melissa being able to navigate such tough schedules without a loss.

Dawgs
06-26-2018, 06:52 AM
What about China Spring?

jason
06-26-2018, 09:11 AM
What about China Spring?
lucky 4 teams get in out of a 5 team district....hehe....

Rocket Man
06-26-2018, 10:15 AM
What about China Spring?

That made me think of the movie, "What About Bob?" :spitlol:

I don't mean anything by it, just made me laugh...............I haven't a horn to toot for football this year, I predict my Rockets will finish 4-6 at best, but most likely 2-8. As long as the current regime is in place and continues not to care about defense, the Rockets will be low hanging fruit.

Bosqueville
06-26-2018, 10:57 AM
What about China Spring?

CS will be very competitive but there will be some new faces at QB and other positions. This district will either make them better or expose your weaknesses..

LHPfactory
06-26-2018, 12:04 PM
Not sure if you are talking about all season or regular season undefeated...I agree about not having a undefeated state champ. The top tier teams just have too tough of schedules this year. I can’t see any of them being able to get thru the season undefeated. As for top ranked teams going undefeated in the regular season it looks like Liberty Hill has the best shot. Pretty easy schedule. Hirschi also has a pretty easy schedule if they can get by Graham. But I think they have to prove it more than just 1 successful season. Kennedale also has a pretty easy schedule outside of Midlothian Heritage. If they win that game I can see them going undefeated. As far as Carthage, Argyle, Midlothian Heritage, La Vega, Ville, Henderson, or Melissa being able to navigate such tough schedules without a loss.

Not so fast on the easy schedule:
Liberty Hill:
Week 1 - Leander Glenn 5A-D2
Week 2 - Hutto 5A-D1 (#7 in 5A-D1)
Week 3 - Manor 5A-D1 (Just dropped Down from 6A)
Week 4 - Pflugerville Connally 5A-D1 (Just dropped down from 6A).

We also are scrimmaging a 5A-D2.

We don't have an easy schedule and if anyone looks past Canyon Lake or Fredericksburg you will be in trouble. Also expect a dramatic improvement from Lampasas who absolutely hates Liberty Hill along with other Rival game with Burnet.
LH has it anything but easy, but that being said, I absolutely believe they can come out of that undefeated, if so, look out....

Rocket Man
06-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Liberty Hill:

We don't have an easy schedule and if anyone looks past Canyon Lake or Fredericksburg you will be in trouble. Also expect a dramatic improvement from Lampasas who absolutely hates Liberty Hill along with other Rival game with Burnet.
LH has it anything but easy, but that being said, I absolutely believe they can come out of that undefeated, if so, look out....

I seriously doubt their improvement will be dramatic enough to challenge y'all; last year they barely beat us and we were terrrrrrrrriiiiiibbbbbblllllleeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it is a new year and always a good practice not overlook anyone. I wish we still played them or Burnet; the reason................STORMS BURGERS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since our current regime wants to play smaller schools, perhaps we could get Hamilton on the schedule, they've got a STORMS there, and they're not nearly as far away..........hmmmm

Dawgs
06-27-2018, 12:56 AM
Liberty Hill:

Hutto is the only game that is a question. That is if LH is going to live up to their ranking and hype. Leander Glenn is a brand new school. Manor and PC are terrible. I don’t care what division they are in. I don’t wanna hear about Canyon Lake and Fredericksburg. If we are talking about LH competing for a championship those teams shouldn’t match up.

LHPfactory
06-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Hutto is the only game that is a question. That is if LH is going to live up to their ranking and hype. Leander Glenn is a brand new school. Manor and PC are terrible. I don’t care what division they are in. I don’t wanna hear about Canyon Lake and Fredericksburg. If we are talking about LH competing for a championship those teams shouldn’t match up.

Hutto is a given as a very tough game, with their QB going to UCLA and returning 8 Offensive starters they will be a 5A-D1 power this fall.

Yeah, Manor went 5-5 in 6A and went 1 round into the play offs, and Pflugerville Connally played Cedar Park 21-14 last year.

Neither Manor of Pville is a good program but have lots of talent with the potential of giving anyone a good game. The speed alone will keep it interesting
I expect we will run all over both but neither will be looked past .

Leander Glenn returns 22 Senior starters from an All 11th grade Varsity that went 7-3 playing its first Varsity schedule last year, be it a fill in schedule, they will be better than most think as a new school, they have loads of talent and their coach is fascinated with our Slot-T .
I also believe they will probably win their 5A-D2 District this season, I got a hunch Leander Glenn will be better than most expect, this high school is just a few miles outside of Liberty Hill.
I think we will eat them up but not looking past this team.

Fredericksburg returns 15 starters and will be much better than most are expecting and Canyon Lake will likely continue what we have seen the past 2 years, that fueled by a burning desire to beat LH will make it interesting.

d0tc0m
06-27-2018, 12:07 PM
How good is Celina going to be this year? Are they legit title contenders? 4a is better when Celina is a contender. Hope you guys have a great season. Would love to see you guys surprise some people and win that district.

Celina should be much better this year. Last season, we were breaking in a new QB with a lot of new faces on the offensive line, and with a lack of playmakers in the skill positions. Our defense really kept things close in a lot of games. This year, the line will be more experienced, and we have some talent coming up from a really good JV team last year. And, if what I've been hearing is true, Celina is making a switch at QB, utilizing Noah Ross at WR/RB instead of under center. He's a really good athlete with great speed and agility. The Bobcats also bring back a very good junior RB, Logan Point. He got a lot of carries last year as a sophomore and did well. From what I've heard, he's worked hard in the weight room in the offseason, and is primed to have a huge season. We've got a couple of other speedy backs to go with him, too, and all of them are great pass catchers out of the backfield. At QB, the Bobcats could go with a junior, Hunter Watson, who throws a nice ball and has plenty of speed and athleticism to at least force teams to account for him. He is the younger brother of Brayden Watson, who was a stud WR on the 2015 Celina team.

Defensively, the Bobcats should be very good again. Our LB corps was young last year, and they'll have another year under their belts. We'll have a legit DI prospect at DE in Kaghen Roach. The dude is a monster. He single handedly kept the PG game from being completely out of hand. He's speedy, smart, hungry and just has a motor that won't quit. There will be a few more good pieces along the line to go with him, too. He'll force a double team against most teams. Logan Engle is one of the young LBs to keep an eye on. He was pretty good as a sophomore last year. He'll be very good this year.

All-in-all, I think Celina will have a much better team than last year. I think they can and will challenge for the district title. They may not have quite enough to take down Melissa, but, I think it'll be a fight. If the Bobcats have truly developed a passing game this offseason, like I've heard, then they'll be a serious contender. I think District 7 is Melissa's to lose, but Argyle and Celina and, heck, even Paris, will be right there in the thick of it.

d0tc0m
06-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Liberty Hill:

This is an impressive schedule, in my opinion. Maybe PC and Manor aren't great, but being the size they are, they should at least have the athletes to be competitive. Leander Glenn is going to have a pretty decent year, I think. And if LH is able to stick around with Hutto, or even pull the upset, then look out. That will be a telling game, in my opinion. I still think LH is going to be a serious threat this year. If they're not playing in at least the semifinals, I'll be shocked.

speedbump
06-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Lots of LH shikkens getting counted before the old cluck has even finished layin dem eggs. :cool:

d0tc0m
06-28-2018, 06:35 AM
Lots of LH shikkens getting counted before the old cluck has even finished layin dem eggs. :cool:

To be fair, though, most of the LH prognosticating is coming from no LH posters like myself. I haven't seen any of the purple panther folks say anything bold other than they really like their team this year.

LHPfactory
06-28-2018, 07:37 AM

Just talking about our schedule and high hopes of course.
But honestly winning cultures expect to win plain and simple.

LH O Line won the DII Lineman Challenge State Championship last week to boot. This doesnt mean you automatically win games in the fall, but our guys did better in 6 out of 10 events than all divisions and schools from 6A through 1A.
LH has the fastest and strongest linemen in the State, A 100% Senior front with 3 of the 5 1st Team All District as Juniors last fall. Close to 40 Seniors on our team this fall and about 20 of them will be Starters.

Im of course an extra homer for this years team because I have spent 12 years Coaching these boys in Youth Football, 7on7, and Lineman Challenge. They are my Football Children to say the least.

At the end of the Day anything could happen, but these boys are winners and have as good of a shot at it all as anyone.

d0tc0m
06-28-2018, 07:42 AM

LH O Line won the DII Lineman Challenge State Championship last week to boot. This doesnt mean you automatically win games in the fall, but our guys did better in 6 out of 10 events than all divisions and schools from 6A through 1A.
LH has the fastest and strongest linemen in the State, A 100% Senior front with 3 of the 5 1st Team All District as Juniors last fall. Close to 40 Seniors on our team this fall and about 20 of them will be Starters.

Im of course an extra homer for this years team because I have spent 12 years Coaching these boys in Youth Football, 7on7, and Lineman Challenge. They are my Football Children to say the least.

At the end of the Day anything could happen, but these boys are winners and have as good of a shot at it all as anyone.

That's a bigger deal, to me, than a 7-on-7 title. And that's a good looking line the Purple Panthers have. Now, do they have a Brent Bode or a Doug Allman to block for?

solocam
06-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Running back Harrison is back,had a great year last year,expect the same this year

Dawgs
06-28-2018, 02:08 PM

Those are some good looking boys.

Celina8
06-28-2018, 03:19 PM
I am looking for Liberty Hill to have a great year. I had the chance to travel out to their community about a year ago and was so impressed with their new high school and just the community in general. I remember when people would not even think of living in Liberty Hill if they worked in Austin but with all the growth now I know several who live there and do not even think of the drive as everything has grown out towards them. Liberty Hill will most likely move up a classification next go around but they will do well even then.