PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel's "Three Amigos" backfield

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-12-2002, 10:39 PM
http://www.pok.com/bas/port_isabel_fb.htm

Check out that link to see a picture of them, along with their season stats.

eye of the tiger
09-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Very impressive. I would have enjoyed watching them play.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-12-2002, 10:45 PM
They were a BLAST to watch! It was very unfortunate that the starting QB that season failed his classes before the state quarterfinal game vs. Sinton, or else, Port Isabel would now currently have THREE state semi-finals appearances.....or maybe even an appearance in the state title game.

candido32
09-13-2002, 12:04 AM
do you remember a great running back named travis sanders (1979), i do believe he rushed for over 2,300 yds. If am wrong please feel free to correct me. only one team was able to contain him that year and that was in the regional game against the kenedy lions. PEACE

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I know Travis Sanders personally. He's a great guy. My older brother Donny Martin played with him, and are best friends. They graduated in 1979, so the season you're referring to was the 1978 season.

I remember reading about the Port Isabel vs. Kenedy game in an old newspaper archive. Someone who you might want to ask, and who would know a bit more about it than I would goes by the name Big Tarp 74 on here.

[This message has been edited by TarponFanInNorthTexas (edited September 13, 2002).]