PDA

View Full Version : Coach Flores Leaving Bay City

sk1
02-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Coach Flores who has been at Bay City since 2015 has really helped turn that program around turned in his resignation yesterday.
Before Bay City he was the OC at Cameron Yoe. He will now be coaching at Clear Brook.

44INAROW
02-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Coach Flores who has been at Bay City since 2015 has really helped turn that program around turned in his resignation yesterday.
Before Bay City he was the OC at Cameron Yoe. He will now be coaching at Clear Brook.

Dang, he was getting things turned around at BC - hope they get a good hire...

Scoop27
02-27-2018, 04:41 PM
From the Victoria Advocate
Lupe Florez took over a Bay City program that had won one game in three seasons and was in the midst of a seven-year playoff drought.

Florez will leave a Bay City program that has become a district contender and has made back-to-back trips to the postseason.

Florez’s three-year tenure as Bay City’s athletic director and head football coach has come to an end after he was named the head football coach at Class 6A Clear Brook on Monday night.

“It was a hard decision to make because we put so much time and effort and built some good relationships here in Bay City,” Florez said. “But I felt like this was a great opportunity and I needed to take advantage of it.”

Florez, 39, has been at Bay City for three seasons and compiled an overall record of 18-15.

The Blackcats were 0-10 the year before he became head coach and had not been to the playoffs since 2007.

Bay City went 7-4 last season and advanced to the Class 4A, Division I area playoffs.

“I feel real good and real proud of all the work we’ve done here in Bay City,” Florez said. “We love our kids, and I can’t put into words what it’s meant for me.

“It will always be a part of me and it will always be a part of my family. We owe this opportunity to Bay City and the community here. Without them, I wouldn’t be taking this next step. It’s part of life, and we’ve got to move on.”

Florez came to Bay City from Cameron Yoe, where he was the offensive coordinator for a team that won three consecutive state championships and averaged 41 points per game.

He previously coached at Mission, Rains, Castlebury, Carter Riverside, Coldspring and in Brookings, Ore.

He will take over a Clear Brook team that went 5-4 last season.

The new athletic director and head football coach at Bay City will inherit a team with a number of starters returning, including Dylan Davidson, the Advocate’s Offensive Player of the Year.

“I’m telling you, I’ve just been blessed,” Florez said. “The community has blessed us, and they’ve taken us in and made us a part of their family, and they’ve become a part of my family. It’s been an enjoyable three years.”

Scoop27
02-27-2018, 09:06 PM
From the Bay City Tribune
Lupe Florez, who has led the Bay City football team to back-to-back playoff wins in his three years as head football coach, has taken the head job at Clear Brook High School, a Class 6A school in Friendswood, TX.

Florez announced his resignation on his Facebook page, thanking Bay City ISD and the community for their support through the years.

“This community has been a blessing for me and my family,” he wrote. “We have loved your support. To all my Blackcats, I love you and hope to see big things out of you.”

Florez came to Bay City after being a part of a Cameron Yoe coaching staff that won state titles in 2A and 3A from 2012 to 2014.

A product from West Monroe, La., and the University of North Texas, Florez became a hot commodity among Texas high school coaches after leading Bay City to a 7-4 record in 2017 and a 7-5 record in 2016 that had playoff wins in both seasons, both over the same opponent, Houston Yates. He has an 18-14 record in his three years with the Blackcats.

Florez brought winning football back to Bay City after a three-year stretch when the Blackcats won only one game in 30 games and hadn’t made the playoffs in seven years.

Florez also applied to be the head coach at Pearland Dawson, which went to former Clear Brook head coach Mike Allison, making the position available to coach the Wolverines.

Last season, Clear Brook went 5-4 and missed the playoffs. Under Allison, the Wolverines made it to the 6A Region III, Division II semifinals in 2016, going 8-5.

This is the second football coach to leave Bay City for another head coaching job. Associate head coach and offensive coordinator Brent Bennett left the Blackcats for the head job at Ganado last month.

The job listing for the head football coach/athletic director position was posted on the Bay City ISD website on Tuesday afternoon. A district spokesperson said that there is no timetable for naming an interim athletic director.