PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh Southlake Carroll and Hal Wasson

Old Tiger
01-25-2018, 12:07 PM
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2018/01/24/southlake-carroll-coach-hal-wasson-placed-administrative-leave-district-reviews-football-program

coach
01-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Crazy development

Leopard4Life
01-25-2018, 06:25 PM
He gone!

He is going to fight it, but it's over. There are multiple routes to dismiss him. I was told last September that he was warned and put on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan).
Word is that they will not promote from within or bring back any coach that was there before (alumni). That is the current board position, but may change based on the AD influence and the pool of applicants. Apparently the board is looking for new blood.

Current rumors include:
Hazing
Recruiting Violations
UIL Rules Violations
Pay to Play (highest boosters get kids that start)
and the kicker is Embezzlement

A lot of top programs have similar allegations , but the embezzlement is one you don't hear often. Allegedly the embezzlement has to do with now departed Booster Club member. If this is true and the math supports it this could be criminal. He might just accept the terms of the deal and go quietly. If it's not true then he will fight everything else and take a golden parachute. Either way he won't come back to SLC after this.

This is a top school and top program in the state. It will draw some serious applicants. However it is also considered a real s4!7_show. Parents and Boosters have way to much influence in the program and the board makes way to many football related decisions.

I can already think a few names that may apply, or be approached for this soon to be opening.

Old Tiger
01-25-2018, 08:39 PM
My short list would be

Samples at Duncanville
Dodge
Scott Surratt

Leopard4Life
01-25-2018, 09:44 PM
My short list would be

Samples at Duncanville
Dodge
Scott Surratt

Good list, but I don't know if they fit the SLC mold. Dodge may be out because they want "new blood." Samples and Surratt have a lot more athletes to work with. I'm basing that on the number of athletes that go on to play college ball out of the programs.

bobcat1
01-25-2018, 11:32 PM
Welp.....

Celina8
01-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Dodge has a pretty good gig at Westlake and they love him!

ag4
01-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Fedora?

ahs_indian_fan
01-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Allman (Carroll AD) and Walsh at Guyer worked together in Brownwood under Steve Freeman ... might be a match there.

Rabid Cougar
01-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Dodge has a pretty good gig at Westlake and they love him!

Yes his wife is from there. Her dad was the long time head coach Eddie Neptune, whom Westlake's football stadium is named after.

rb585
01-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Allman (Carroll AD) and Walsh at Guyer worked together in Brownwood under Steve Freeman ... might be a match there.

Walsh basically had to sue to keep his job at Guyer after getting a DWI a few years ago.

Aesculus gilmus
01-27-2018, 11:26 AM
I always read that as "Wassup." Sounds like time is up for him.

These people always mentioning Surratt are engaging in wishful thinking. He will stay at Carthage as king over all of Panola County for the rest of his career and probably finish up with at least 12 state championships, going down as the most successful high school coach in Texas history by that metric.

Hell, the Dawgs may even drop down to Division II at some point and then will not do just a three-peat as they did before but at least a six-peat.

Old Tiger
01-27-2018, 12:13 PM
I always read that as "Wassup." Sounds like time is up for him.

These people always mentioning Surratt are engaging in wishful thinking. He will stay at Carthage as king over all of Panola County for the rest of his career and probably finish up with at least 12 state championships, going down as the most successful high school coach in Texas history by that metric.

Hell, the Dawgs may even drop down to Division II at some point and then will not do just a three-peat as they did before but at least a six-peat.

Think what he has done at Carthage and what doing it in the largest classification in the state could do to his legacy.

LHPfactory
01-29-2018, 08:31 AM
Some interesting history on Hal Wasson, Liberty Hill Chose him over Jerry Vance and he was the AD/HFC for LH in 1999 and 2000 seasons. Couldnt change the program or win to save his life in LH, so he went back to SLC.

In 2001 Jerry Vance got the call and arrived with a young Jeff Walker and the Liberty Hill program went from home coming team status to not being able to get predistrict opponents to play.

LH is still trying to fill the schedule as we have all 5As so far including scrimmage 2.
Scrimmage 1 - Open
Week 1 - 5A Leander Glenn
Week 2 - 5A Hutto
Week 3 - 5A Calallen (Maybe/still open to closer opponent)
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open

Wimberley wont even play us anymore... Trembling Texans....

PS: Dodge wont leave Westlake.

coach
01-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Some interesting history on Hal Wasson, Liberty Hill Chose him over Jerry Vance and he was the AD/HFC for LH in 1999 and 2000 seasons. Couldnt change the program or win to save his life in LH, so he went back to SLC.

In 2001 Jerry Vance got the call and arrived with a young Jeff Walker and the Liberty Hill program went from home coming team status to not being able to get predistrict opponents to play.

LH is still trying to fill the schedule as we have all 5As so far including scrimmage 2.
Scrimmage 1 - Open
Week 2 - 5A Hutto
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open

Why are you putting LH's schedule on a thread about SLC and Hal Wasson?

jason
01-29-2018, 09:28 AM

Scrimmage 1 - Open
Week 2 - 5A Hutto
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open

call stephenville - they may be trying to fill a spot...

LHPfactory
01-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Why are you putting LH's schedule on a thread about SLC and Hal Wasson?

Read the post again, it flows. Sorry if I upset you Coachella. Let me see if I can get a moderator to remove it....

For everyone else, LH is looking for games.

LHPfactory
01-29-2018, 09:41 AM
call stephenville - they may be trying to fill a spot...

They are trying to get closer to home if possible. But will let them know.
If they add Stephenville to the schedule along with the other possible opponents already on there, I think we my have the toughest SOS in the state for 4A. :doh:

Leopard4Life
01-29-2018, 04:48 PM

Scrimmage 1 - Open
Week 2 - 5A Hutto
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open

PS: Money talks. SLC will probably offer top dollar. If they want Dodge or Buchanan out of Aledo, or whoever - they will offer enough money to give any coach pause.

This job will draw 1000+ applicants. The question is who makes the final hiring decision - Athletic Director Allman, the Superintendent, the School Board or the Dragon Council (aka the Dragon Den)...

Roughneck93
02-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Carroll ISD self reports UIL violations....

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2018/02/16/carroll-isd-self-reports-multiple-uil-violations-football-program-head-coach-hal-wasson

Matthew328
02-24-2018, 09:56 PM
This has been a disaster for Southlake, they tried to run Wasson off..didnt have enough to fire him with cause so now they are going to have to buy out his contract and probably pay extra as well since they've drug Wasson's name through the mud and had all this media circus....there will be more changes coming in the land of Dragons..

Rocket Man
02-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Just heard on WBAP that hims gone.............

Matthew328
02-26-2018, 07:11 PM
Just heard on WBAP that hims gone.............

He's gone but he got every cent of the contract owed to him...

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2018, 05:06 AM
He's gone but he got every cent of the contract owed to him...

SLC fans never really liked him. Surprised it took this long.

d0tc0m
02-27-2018, 10:31 AM
SLC fans never really liked him. Surprised it took this long.

Trying to coach out from under Dodge's shadow was going to be a tall order for whoever took the Dragons job. Like Jerry Lee Lewis told Johnny Cash and his band in Walk the Line, just before they went on stage to follow his act, "Get yourselves a pine box, boys. Nobody follows The Killer."

Wasson bought himself some time because he contributed the 2011 state championship, and, I think, because his son was a darling who QB'd that 2002 team that really helped turn SLC into what we think of it as today.

Celina8
02-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Wonder if they would consider bringing in Dane Johnson who was a standout athlete at Southlake Carroll back in the 90's . I think he is Head Coach at one of the schools in Flower Mound.

coach
02-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Offer $200,000 to Surratt and call it a day.

Old Tiger
02-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Offer $200,000 to Surratt and call it a day.

Pretty much....make Surratt tell you no

d0tc0m
03-01-2018, 10:10 AM
I read that — and, I don't know how true it is or isn't — Mike Singletary called the SLC AD to inquire about the position.

Tejastrue
03-01-2018, 08:17 PM
If this is true look out! Be like Mike!

Matthew328
03-02-2018, 11:57 PM
Wonder if they would consider bringing in Dane Johnson who was a standout athlete at Southlake Carroll back in the 90's . I think he is Head Coach at one of the schools in Flower Mound.

Dane Johnson hasn't exactly been lighting it up as a HC....he's 8-52 the last six years as a HC...no way Southlake brings a guy in with that record..

if Allman has control of the higher he's going to bring in one of his guys.....if Allman is out look for someone with Dodge ties to get the job

d0tc0m
03-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Dane Johnson hasn't exactly been lighting it up as a HC....he's 8-52 the last six years as a HC...no way Southlake brings a guy in with that record..

if Allman has control of the higher he's going to bring in one of his guys.....if Allman is out look for someone with Dodge ties to get the job

Is there a chance Allman is out? Or are you meaning, if he's out of the hiring process?

Leopard4Life
03-05-2018, 09:19 PM

I'm rooting for Allman, but I think the writing is on the way. Tonight's board meeting should be interesting. If Allman is out or being bought out then look for Dodge ball to return to SLC. If not, then whoever takes this gig might be offered a 1 year deal. A young DC might have a shot, but there are a lot of forces at work here...

Leopard4Life
03-05-2018, 09:34 PM
This has been a disaster for Southlake, they tried to run Wasson off..didnt have enough to fire him with cause so now they are going to have to buy out his contract and probably pay extra as well since they've drug Wasson's name through the mud and had all this media circus....there will be more changes coming in the land of Dragons..

They had enough to fire him, what they did not have enough of was time to get this settled. They couldn't move forward with the program until this was settled and Spring Ball is approaching fast. Should have been handled better, but there was enough to dismiss with cause.

Leopard4Life
03-08-2018, 02:10 PM
March 19th