PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones leaves Giddings for... Pecos??!?! No, seriously. Really?

rb585
01-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Giddings head football coach Chris Jones has resigned to take over the program at Pecos in West Texas.
Giddings principal Chad Rood confirmed the news of Jones’ move on Thursday, and the Pecos school board had scheduled a meeting Thursday night to announce Jones as its new football coach and director of athletics.
Jones compiled a record of 51-28 over seven seasons with the Buffaloes, leading the team to the playoffs five times. His 2017 team finished with a 5-6 mark, losing to Fairfield 41-2 in a Class 4A, Division II bi-district playoff.
Rood said the Gidding school district will post a job opening Monday, adding that Jones did a “marvelous job” while leading the Buffaloes. In 2016, Giddings finished 11-3 and reached the state-quarterfinal round of the 4A, Division II playoffs. The year before, the Buffs started 12-0 before losing to Bellville in the third round of the UIL playoffs.
In Pecos, Jones will replace Chris Henson, who led the high school’s football program for 12 years before becoming the school’s principal on Jan. 8. His teams were 59-70, qualifying for the playoffs eight times.

Crow22
01-22-2018, 10:11 AM
If you saw what Pecos was paying, you'd take that job too. Trust me...its incredible.

Congrats Chris!

rb585
01-22-2018, 01:30 PM
No.

1. I love West Texas, but I think Pecos is one of the worst towns in the state. We planned to spend the night there a few years ago, stopped and ate dinner and looked around, and decided to keep going to NM.

2. Kinda hard to tell, but I think Pecos hasn't won a playoff game since the 70's. You can win consistently in Giddings. You have the chance to win state in Giddings if everything goes right (and you catch WOS in a down year). If everything goes right in Pecos, you make it to the second round.

You could not pay me enough to go to a place like that and endure 7-hour bus rides to lose to El Paso suburbs.

Crow22
01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
No.

1. I love West Texas, but I think Pecos is one of the worst towns in the state. We planned to spend the night there a few years ago, stopped and ate dinner and looked around, and decided to keep going to NM.

2. Kinda hard to tell, but I think Pecos hasn't won a playoff game since the 70's. You can win consistently in Giddings. You have the chance to win state in Giddings if everything goes right (and you catch WOS in a down year). If everything goes right in Pecos, you make it to the second round.

You could not pay me enough to go to a place like that and endure 7-hour bus rides to lose to El Paso suburbs.

I get all that...I TOTALLY do...

But if you're a coach and you're within 5-10 years of being able to retire and someone offered what they're offering...its at least something to think about. Its the craziest (in a good way) package I've seen a school offer.

slingshot
01-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Also remember his retirement will partially depend on the average salary for the last 5 years.
A physician colleague of mine closed his Abilene practice and went to work for the hospital in Kermit (worse than Pecos?) a few years ago. I thought he was crazy until I heard what the hospital district was paying him... $400K/yr, a nice house to live in, a new car every 2 years, all insurances (including malpractice) paid, $50K a year into a 401K, 6 weeks paid vacation per year, etc. Maybe not so crazy after all.

Matthew328
01-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Maybe this will shed some light

http://www.texasfootball.com/week-texas-high-school-football-january-17/

Crow22
01-22-2018, 08:21 PM
Also remember his retirement will partially depend on the average salary for the last 5 years.
A physician colleague of mine closed his Abilene practice and went to work for the hospital in Kermit (worse than Pecos?) a few years ago. I thought he was crazy until I heard what the hospital district was paying him... $400K/yr, a nice house to live in, a new car every 2 years, all insurances (including malpractice) paid, $50K a year into a 401K, 6 weeks paid vacation per year, etc. Maybe not so crazy after all.

Exactly. The package Pecos offered is enough to REALLY make retirement nice.

Yoe_09
01-25-2018, 01:16 AM
I can't blame him for retirement. Cameron lost Rick Rhoades (5 state championship games in 7 years) to Gregory-Portland a few years ago. It's not a move where you're going to have the same kind of success in terms of winning. You hope for it, but you are looking at the bigger picture.

1st and goal
01-27-2018, 09:08 PM
I hope he can coach up a good team there in Pecos. I wish him well. He did a lot of good for a lot of our kids off the field.

zebrablue2
01-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Coach Jones is a true professional and a class act, I wish him all the best on his move.