PDA

View Full Version : Carthage Coach Surratt

stardog
12-23-2017, 04:06 PM
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/.

Aesculus gilmus
12-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Read the comments when this Texas Tribune story was republished in the Longview newspaper. This doesn't matter AT ALL to most in Carthage. In fact, the newspaper will probably lose money for having dared to print it.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/2017/dec/19/carthage-head-coach-got-21000-raise-amid-cuts-dist/

This is a difference between Carthage and Gilmer. There are a lot of people here who do NOT support the football program and cite it as the reason to vote down another bond election. They'll probably have the opportunity to do it again in May.

Sville
12-24-2017, 01:16 PM
We heard the same thing in Sville when Briles was the highest paid coach in TX in 1999 before he left for the college ranks. It is a good investment IMO, football affects the largest amount of students than any other sport. The more games you play the opportunity the football, band, drill team, and cheerleaders have to perform. The SISD board showed a graph at a board meeting in the late 90's that one state championship season (16 games) brought in enough money to pay for Briles' salary and re-carpet two campus'. A coach like Surrat in a program like Carthage more than pays for itself.

Dawgs
12-24-2017, 02:37 PM
IMO this article was meant to show Carthage in a bad light. What they don't tell is that when Surratt got his raise CISD still had their ASTAR money. Maybe they would not have gave him the raise. Maybe they would've. Doesn't matter to me. Surratt earns every penny we pay him, and hell I'd give him another raise this year. He is the most talented person to work in this district. He is elite in his field of employment. He should be payed like it. This is meant to make us emabarrassed, but I am anything but. I am proud we are smart enough to keep elite talent in CISD. The other stuff is what it is. Either the state will let us keep our 9 mil a year we send away, they will put something in place to replace the ASTAR money, or we will raise taxes. When the oil price goes back up property value will rise on its own, therefore we will have a larger tax base. So we are not worried about money like this article makes it out. We have never had a money problem in CISD. Look at how much we have sent back in the history of Robin Hood. Probably more than any other school.

Bug Truck
12-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Your not even close to being top dog in contributing to the Robin Hood Fund

Dawgs
12-24-2017, 03:08 PM

I don't know what other schools send honestly. Just what Carthage sends. And I am sure you will find very few schools Carthage's size that send as much money away. For sure not in ETX.

Dawgs
12-24-2017, 03:16 PM

We are pretty high on the list. Top 30. Look at how much Carthage has sent away since 1994. It's here for everybody to see. We don't have money problems like this article would like you to believe. Dan Patrick is just a crook.

https://tea.texas.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=51539616260

Bug Truck
12-24-2017, 03:19 PM
The sad fact is no one should have to send their local school taxes in state. Robin Hood needs to go away State Officials are to scared or don’t want to take the time to fix it

Dawgs
12-24-2017, 03:26 PM
The sad fact is no one should have to send their local school taxes in state. Robin Hood needs to go away State Officials are to scared or don’t want to take the time to fix it

Agree, but nobody has come up with a good way to replace the current practice of re-appropriation or whatever they call Robin Hood. They just should not have taken the ASTAR money away without something to replace it. There are plenty of schools going thru the same thing this year, and struggling. They just aren't paying their AD/HC 155k. This is really a non-story. Just some attempt at a hot topic. So people can comment "we don't care about education". And get their panties all in a wad cause "education doesn't matter".

Bug Truck
12-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Yes but if something changes and you can’t afford Coach Surratt anymore. I’m sure someone going to be interested. Congratulations on being where everyone else wishes they were. State Champions

Aesculus gilmus
12-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Dan Patrick is just a crook.

I wouldn't say he is a crook. He just hates public schools and believes THEY are the crooks.

I don't think he even has a viable primary opponent, so he's there to stay. And he'll try to ram that voucher scheme through every two years.

Most of the people who matter in his party have their children in private schools.

slingshot
12-24-2017, 06:43 PM
A) Surratt is worth every penny.
B) Dan Patrick (or whatever name he’s going by this week... ) is a piece of ____. God I wish some real politician with some name recognition and $$$ would take him out. He is the biggest existential threat to our public schools in the history of the state of Texas. People need to wake up and smell the coffee...

bigcountry
12-24-2017, 09:35 PM
B) Dan Patrick (or whatever name he’s going by this week... ) is a piece of ____. God I wish some real politician with some name recognition and $$$ would take him out. He is the biggest existential threat to our public schools in the history of the state of Texas. People need to wake up and smell the coffee...

Coming from a coaching/teaching family, and some that are superintendents/ administrators... you are SPOT ON! Wake up people & quit putting this political crony in office.

oldtownag
12-25-2017, 08:37 AM
What does piss me off about the article is how the author infers that Carthage shouldn't have nice things because they are small and poor (unlike Lake Travis). I can tell you that Carthage residents pay substantially less in school taxes than I do in Forney.

Leopard4Life
12-25-2017, 11:28 PM

The only way to vote him out is in the primary. I don't see a Democrat beating him in the general election. Too many people are lazy and vote straight ticket.

LH Panther Mom
12-26-2017, 06:48 AM
The only way to vote him out is in the primary. I don't see a Democrat beating him in the general election. Too many people are lazy and vote straight ticket.

I didn't vote for him. Heck, I wouldn't vote for him as head garbage collector.

Old Tiger
12-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Straight ticket voting should not be allowed, PERIOD.

Old Tiger
12-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Also he deserves a raise.