PDA

View Full Version : I TOLD YOU NEWTON IS OVER RATED

cc700
10-18-2003, 12:26 AM
I TOLD YOU GUYS.

DawgFan91
10-18-2003, 12:30 AM
We'll see when the playoffs come around. Jasper is a lot better than people think. Yeah, Jasper lost two awesome linemen and some good skill position players but they turn out athletes every year. People, just wrote Jasper off too early. Newton will be ready come November.

Whiskers
10-18-2003, 12:34 AM
I was at the game tonight and i was very disappointed with how Newton's quarterback acted after the game. I noticed he didn't even get in line to shake hands with Jasper. Not trying to take anything away from the game he had, but he acted very childish afterwards.

cc700
10-18-2003, 12:35 AM
NO THEY WILL NOT WIN IT ALL.IVE HAVE SEEN THEM PLAY.I KNOW FOR SURE THEY COULD NOT BEAT CELINA THEY WOULD WEAR THEM OUT.THEY ARE GOOD BUT NOT THAT GOOD.

98Eagle
10-18-2003, 05:58 AM
Can you really blame Newton's QB Joe McClemore for not shaking hands. He was jumped at the JV game and his grandmother is in the hospital. I respect him for just having the guts to face a tuff Jasper team, after all that has happened to him and his family in the past couple of days. JMHO

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: 98Eagle ]</small>

snowsnake
10-18-2003, 08:51 AM
98Eagle:
Can you really blame Newton's QB Joe McClemore for not shaking hands. He was jumped at the JV game and his grandmother is in the hospital. I respect him for just having the guts to face a tuff Jasper team, after all that has happened to him and his family in the past couple of days. JMHOHaving been at the actual site of the altercation I can tell you that Mr. McClemore had a major hand in starting that altercation, so much so that he and two other Newton varsity players were rushed onto the Newton JV buses to keep them from having to answer to the police for their actions. I saw this with my own eyes. It's a shame that an innocent bystander was injured due to her own grandson's inability to control himself in a dignified manner. And that goes for all the Bulldawgs that were involved as well. Taking all that into account, it does not give the young man an excuse for being a poor loser. Not shaking an opponents hand after a hard fought game is an indication of poor sportsmanship and a lack of character. Involvement in the altercation and his questionable actions after the game doesn't paint a pretty picture for a starting quarterback that should be the leader of their team. I wish him luck the rest of the year but someone needs to point him in the right direction.

snowsnake
10-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Read the paper this AM and was surprised by the response of Newton's head coach. " It's hard to win when you turn the ball over 3 times." It didn't seem hard to win when Newton turned the ball over 7 times against Woodville. Doesn't that sound odd. Then he goes on to say how terrible Newton played last night saying it was their poorest performance of the year. Yeah it's easy to win and look good against teams with losing records, let's be honest coach. You played a good team who out played you and yours. It doesn't hurt to be honest about the outcome and give a little credit to your opponents and also give credit to your team for playing very well. If they hadn't played as well as they did it would have been a blowout. Watch the films!!!!
GO DAWGS

spiveyrat
10-18-2003, 10:43 AM
snowsnake:
Read the paper this AM and was surprised by the response of Newton's head coach. " It's hard to win when you turn the ball over 3 times." It didn't seem hard to win when Newton turned the ball over 7 times against Woodville. Doesn't that sound odd. Then he goes on to say how terrible Newton played last night saying it was their poorest performance of the year. Yeah it's easy to win and look good against teams with losing records, let's be honest coach. You played a good team who out played you and yours. It doesn't hurt to be honest about the outcome and give a little credit to your opponents and also give credit to your team for playing very well. If they hadn't played as well as they did it would have been a blowout. Watch the films!!!!
GO DAWGSI haven't seen the article you're referring to but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. What he said about turning the ball over 3 times is accurate, ESPECIALLY against talented teams like your Burnets, Evermans, Marlins, or in this case, Jasper. There's no telling how many interviews he had to do after the game and dwelling on a hard fought loss isn't anyone's idea of a good time. Just something to think about...

Go Dogs!

spiveyrat
10-18-2003, 10:45 AM
cc700:
I TOLD YOU GUYS.I don't think Newton is over-rated at all. Maybe Jasper is a little under-rated. Newton will be a contender.

Pedestrian
10-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Jasper is underratted and Newton got beat. Bottom line.

98Eagle
10-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Coach Barbay's exact quote from the Beaumont Enterprise "We didn't give up, but you can't turn the ball over (three) times and expect to win." "We didn't play very well tonight. This definetely wasn't one of our better games."

No where in that statement did Coach Barbay say it was their worst game of the year.

Whiskers
10-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Good point snowsnake. Happy Homecoming.

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</small>

fred grunden
10-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Newton overrated cc700???? Newton has a long history of doing well in the big state of Texas. With a low enrollment of only about 353 students, they will probably be 2A next year. Year in and year out, where do you find your small 3A Cen Tex
schools in the ratings. Newton has been consistent
through the years, kept Coach Barbay, and don't
often dissapoint the people who do the ratings.

fred grunden
10-18-2003, 12:26 PM
About the article in the Beaumont Enterprise. The only thing I noticed that was out of line was the comment by the author that it was a seesaw battle. In my opinion, a seesaw battle means the lead changes hands. We took the lead with the first score in the first quarter and never gave it up. Maybe he meant an emotional seesaw. Big Mo
did seem to be with Newton a few times but nobdy gave up on either team. It was a great game and stayed intense right up till the clock ran out of time.

holdem
10-18-2003, 12:40 PM
This was a great game by both teams. Jasper earned the victory, but Newton never gave up. Jasper's defense forced turnovers and Jasper converted them for points. The stats in the paper seemed pretty even other than that.

Jasper's play had a lot to do with Newton "not playing very well and it not being one of their better games."

I think both teams will be better as a result of the game and they will both do well in the playoffs. The game had a playoff feel.

JasperDog94
10-18-2003, 02:45 PM
I'll put my 2 cents into this debate, for whatever it's worth. (not much if you ask my wife sometimes :D )

Jasper has a young team with a lot of holes to fill.

Their first game was against PNG. (who they beat last year) They lost 38-18. PNG was unranked at the time. Since then, PNG has only lost 1 game and (before this week) was ranked #18 in the state. (Collier-Sharp) So far, PNG is undefeated in a very tough 9 team district and could go a ways in the playoffs.

The other loss was to Houston Strake Jesuit. This was a close game, but once again, HSJ will be playing 5A ball. I don't know how that will work though. They can basically recruit players, since they're a private school. :confused:

Jasper has been getting better and better every week. That said, this was a 1 touchdown deficit. Sounds to me like this was a close game. Two really good teams going at it.

Congrats to the dogs and good luck to both squads in the playoffs.

j_dog
10-18-2003, 05:23 PM
spiveyrat:

cc700:
I TOLD YOU GUYS.I don't think Newton is over-rated at all. Maybe Jasper is a little under-rated. Newton will be a contender.Well spoken Spiverat. I don't think this established that Newton was/is over-rated at all. I think it just showed (as did the game with Kirbyville) that Jasper has been under-rated. cc700, my point is that of all the teams that you listed that could beat Newton, you did not list Jasper. :confused: :confused:

Newton has a very good team that should do very well in the Div II playoffs. Go Dogs! Go Eagles! :)

snowsnake
10-18-2003, 08:04 PM
I agree with you all. The game was great, Jasper was underrated, and Newton overrated, but I still think it might be classier to mention the opposing team's superior play rather than blame your loss on your team's poor performance. Again, I find it amusing that they couldn't expect to win with 3 turnovers, when the week before they won with seven. I guess it's like my mom used to say, "One excuse is as good as another."

GO DAWGS!!!

98Eagle
10-19-2003, 12:30 AM
To snowsnake:

You repeatly mention Jasper's superior play, but if you read the box scores you would know that both teams were very evenly matched.

They both had 14 first downs.
Jasper had 47 rushes for 235 yards.
Newton had 37 rushes for 239 yards.
Passing yards, Jasper 54; Newton 44.
Jasper 2 turnovers, Newton 3 turnovers.

In my opinion the 1 more turnover Newton had proved costly because it was a tipped pass right before halftime that was intercepted, and three plays later led to a touchdown. Putting Jasper ahead 21-7.

This was an even matched game with the better team on this night (Jasper) winning. But snowsnake don't kid yourself and try to make it out like it was a blowout in the making. Marlon Cook is a great running back with his invidual numbers 18 rushes for 114 yards. Newton also has a great running back in Ty Hopkins 15 rushes for 130 yards.

I'm not trying to take anything away from a great Jasper team, but you can't tell me that the turnovers didn't matter. 7 turnovers against a subpar Woodville team is totally different than 3 turnovers against an underrated Jasper team. JMHO. Good luck to the Bulldogs and the Eagles in the playoffs.

<small>[ October 19, 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: 98Eagle ]</small>

St. Ivender
10-19-2003, 11:59 AM
snowsnake:
GO DAWGSIf Curtis Barbay is anything he is brutally honest. He has never failed to give credit to a better team or a team that just played better on a particular night. I said in other posts that Newton has not hit on all eight cylinders yet and it appears they didn't Friday against Jasper. That's not taking anything away from the Bulldogs, they took the lead and never relinquished it. They are a good team, and they beat a good team. And if Joe Mclemore has anattitude problem then Coach Barbay will have a "come to Jesus" meeting with him.

cunbed10
10-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Hey Newton, I hope this loss doesn't tarnish your hopes, Marlin has 4 and we're still striving for that elusive state championship! :p Never give up, because you will never know.

sphinx1906
10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
O.K. lets chat.cc700 you can have a big bag of shut the heck up for a while because you have no idea what you are talking about.Whiskers you can too. Mclemore shook hands like everyone else. The incident thursday was not in any way started by him, he merely defended himself against some already graduated thugs from Jasper. One in particular. Yes his grandmother was injured. Yes the Jasper team played better than the Newton team friday. Jasper played their best game of the year so far. Newton did not play up to their potential at all. It was a great game between two very good teams. SNOWSNAKE, You are and idiot. If you want to get on a player for bad sportsmanship then you need to get on #11. He helped start the whole thing. do us all a favor and shut up if you don't know what youare talking about.

cc700
10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
I NEVER SAID ANYTHING BAD ABOUT NEWTON.THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD TEAM.I JUST THINK THAT THEY WHERE RATED TO HIGH.

southern_thunder
10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Sphinx were you there thursday night?

sphinx1906
10-20-2003, 08:56 AM
YEP

southern_thunder
10-20-2003, 09:00 AM
so you saw the grandmother yelling and cussing the Jasper players and the Jasper players jumped and drug out of their car while trying to get away.

Dont get me wrong I am not trying to say that Jasper is totally innocent in the matter but they are not totally to blame either.

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: southern_thunder ]</small>

sphinx1906
10-20-2003, 09:08 AM
I only saw one jasper player involved. The fight did not start because of current players. The players are not the ones to worry about in situations like this. It is the idiots that already graduated that usually start all the ruckus. I was wrong in my post. Number 11 did not start it but was involved. The whole situation stinks and I wish it wouldn't happen, but at no time did I see unsportsmanlike conduct from either team during the game.

JasperDog94
10-20-2003, 09:16 AM
It's amazing that when 2 great teams hook up, someone always says that the losing team didn't live up to their potential. Funny how the comment "That game was great! Two teams going toe to toe with both teams leaving everything out on the field" never gets mentioned. Maybe Newton didn't "play up to their potential" because of that Jasper defense?

Just my .02 cents.

southern_thunder
10-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Well sphinx I agree with you about the idiots who have already graduated and the 2 from Jasper that were involved are bad news, and from what I understand have been banned from any further events on school grounds. I also agree that the game was played very clean from both teams.

sphinx1906
10-20-2003, 09:21 AM
It was a great game, and no one is making excuses. I know that newton didn't play up to their potential and yes Jasper might have had something to do with that. Newton will still be strong contenders. Just think what Newton could be like with three times the enrollment!

sphinx1906
10-20-2003, 09:23 AM
thanks southern_thunder. I see that DOGcatcher had a little sugar with his crow LOL. Good luck to you guys.

southern_thunder
10-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Well now that this game is over lets show the rest of the state how the piney woods plays football with both teams going far into the playoffs and with a little luck and good fortune bringing home 2 state trophies!!

DOGcatcher
10-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Yes i did,

That was a good game,

I believe the big momentum change came at 21-14.
If we could have avoided a penelty, Newton gets the ball and has a chance to tie the score. instead we jump and its 28-14. big down for newton in a crucial part of the game.

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: DOGcatcher ]</small>

crimson blood
10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
up to potential, not up to potential, overrated, underrated, enrollment, breaks, distractions, eligibility, hoopla, ...poo poo!
every game has multiple influences that could /does contribute to the outcome.

fact is two very good high school teams met, played and will be playing in week 11. i saw zero unsportsmanship, zero parking lot poo, an average number of mistakes and big plays on the field, an above average number of momentum swings and a great game.

it would be poetic justice if both were 2003 champions. go eagles!! go 'dogs!

look out burnet, marlin, etc. :D

Old No. 7
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
So motte it be.

DOGcatcher
10-20-2003, 11:08 AM
PIG SKIN PREP NEW POSTINGS

JASPER RANKED #7

NEWTON RANKED #10

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: DOGcatcher ]</small>