PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Grove (15-0) vs West Orange-Stark (13-0) 2017 4A D2 State Championship

WOS87
12-16-2017, 01:04 AM
Might as well get this started. This will be Pleasant Grove’s first ever appearance in the State Finals after a dominating season to date. WO-S will be making their fourth straight appearance in the finals, winning the last two, with a 40 game win streak and 17 game playoff game win streak on the line. WO-S has again gotten to this point with their stifling defense. PG has gotten here with a dominating Wing-T offense that has yet to be even close to stopped. Who takes home the hardware?

The game is 3pm December 22nd Friday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

briandumith*
12-16-2017, 03:37 AM
To be the best you got to beat the best.... and I am keeping my word on this.. Pleasant Grove beats WOS and becomes the best... They win the state championship Friday at Jerry World...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Aesculus gilmus
12-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Not that most of us didn't know all about WOS already, but this article gives an in-depth looking at the larger community from the perspective of Earl Thomas. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21437934/seattle-seahawks-safety-earl-thomas-bond-orange-texas

I don't think WOS can actually beat Pleasant Grove, but that's because I am constantly reading from the Texarkana posters how they are the greatest team ever. Their arrogance is beginning to rub off on me.

Plus, since Gilmer came closer than anyone to beating Pleasant Grove, it'd make us look good if they win.

buckeyebob
12-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Might as well get this started. This will be Pleasant Grove’s first ever appearance in the State Finals after a dominating season to date. WO-S will be making their fourth straight appearance in the finals, winning the last two, with a 40 game win streak and 17 game playoff game win streak on the line. WO-S has again gotten to this point with their stifling defense. PG has gotten here with a dominating Wing-T offense that has yet to be even close to stopped. Who takes home the hardware?

The game is 3pm December 22nd Friday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

WOS has no idea what kinda buzz saw they are facing...they are different...and...East Texas Speed Kills

Sic 'em PG...Gimmer is with 'ya...two of our three losses tihs year will be to State Champs

Sweetwater Red
12-16-2017, 09:24 AM
The Mustangs win and Sweetwater can continue to hang their hat on losing in the SC game to the juggernaut program
that is West Orange Stark.

Celina8
12-16-2017, 09:25 AM
WOS has been here before plus they beat a very good Kennedale team this year that will also be playing for a State Title. Just like Carthage , I think WOS keeps on winning.

scrub c
12-16-2017, 09:48 AM
wos defense is crazy fast

Saggy Aggie
12-16-2017, 11:47 AM
I’m intrigued by WOS.... majority of the year they have looked really good, but not quite as good as they typically are.... beatable, if you will.

The one thing that I keep going back to is that Kennedale win though, which is looking extremely impressive now.

I still feel like this WOS team is just a notch below what they’ve been accustomed to fielding. I’ll take PG, but in a close one.

pirate4state
12-16-2017, 11:56 AM
WOS has the experience, a great defense and while Chaka is not Jack Dallas, he is still pretty dang special.

Hard to pick against the two time defending state champion and I picked them to win it all again this year, so I'll stick with my original pick.

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2017, 12:19 PM
WOS has no idea what kinda buzz saw they are facing...they are different...and...East Texas Speed Kills

Sic 'em PG...Gimmer is with 'ya...two of our three losses tihs year will be to State Champs

WO-S is faster IMO. Plus they are basically South East Texas and that is the area that a whole East Texas Speed Kills idea started way back in the day.

Inmateboss
12-16-2017, 12:20 PM
To be the best you got to beat the best.... and I am keeping my word on this.. Pleasant Grove beats WOS and becomes the best... They win the state championship Friday at Jerry World...

You may be right on this ! Gonna be a good one for sure !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3llR4z0r
12-16-2017, 12:51 PM
I continue to preach that PG's speed is not what keeps them ahead of the game. PG has some speed, not break-neck speed, but enough speed to do what they need to do, especially when with their style of offense, the play develops only 1-2 yards behind the line of scrimmage, so the play is moving forward quickly. PG is an all around team. They're big, strong, fast (not fastest but fast enough), disciplined, and prepared. I said this 10 weeks ago, and I'll say it again. PG is not mind-blowingly good at anything. I haven't seen the best of anything from them. But they are excellent in all aspects of the game. They play every position extremely well. Everyone takes care of their business. That is what makes this team so great. And like I've said before, that's coming from an Atlanta fan, which is sickening enough lol.

AggiesAreWe
12-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Mustangs win, 35-19

toddg
12-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Note to PG: that edge won’t be there vs WOS, best make adjustments.

Sville
12-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Note to PG: that edge won’t be there vs WOS, best make adjustments.

This and IMO WOS has already beat a better wing-t team with a bigger OL and faster RB's in Kennedale. The only place I believe PG is better than Kdale is on defense and that is saying something after I watched KDale dominate my Jackets offense.

WOS92
12-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Can PG pass the ball, and do they when they don't NEED to? If not, bet the farm on WO-S. They remain undefeated against these t-variation teams, including so, so many who were "unstoppable."

Also, those lights are bright and that scoreboard is gargantuan and the stakes are HUGE. This WO-S team has been there. Every year. LITERALLY these seniors have been to state every year in HS.

Don't underestimate the impact of CHAMPIONSHIP experience when foot hits pigskin Friday.

toddg
12-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Can PG pass the ball, and do they when they don't NEED to? If not, bet the farm on WO-S. They remain undefeated against these t-variation teams, including so, so many who were "unstoppable."

Also, those lights are bright and that scoreboard is gargantuan and the stakes are HUGE. This WO-S team has been there. Every year. LITERALLY these seniors have been to state every year in HS.

Don't underestimate the impact of CHAMPIONSHIP experience when foot hits pigskin Friday.from what I have seen, they are efficient passing the ball, and they will sneak one in, even when the run is rolling

WOS87
12-16-2017, 08:32 PM

You’re more than entitled to your opinion but here’s to hoping one of our 14 wins is over a State Champion in Kennedale. That makes us look even better than losing to two and worst case scenario we get one loss to a state champ. That’s a win-win. See ya next year no matter the outcome. This team is young. ;)

GUNHO
12-16-2017, 09:25 PM
=buckeyebob;1937883]WOS has no idea what kinda buzz saw they are facing...they are different.[/COLOR]..and...East Texas Speed Kills

Seems like I've heard that several times this year.lol

bleedgreen
12-16-2017, 10:44 PM
I watched Kennedale play WOS and I was at the Graham / PG game. My first impression is usually right, so I'm going with Pleasant Grove.
Kennedale has vastly improved and stepped up since WOS. They are a team on a mission.

WOS87
12-16-2017, 11:13 PM
I watched Kennedale play WOS and I was at the Graham / PG game. My first impression is usually right, so I'm going with Pleasant Grove.
Kennedale has vastly improved and stepped up since WOS. They are a team on a mission.

And WOS hasn’t improved as well? We sure aren’t doing those snaps anymore lol. Good luck next week. We tend to do better as the underdog anyway so keep pouring it on.

rb585
12-16-2017, 11:26 PM

I hear this every year, and now I can't decide whether it's sarcasm, a meme, or just entrenched stupidity.

You might want to check a map. You can't get any further east in Texas than Orange. And West Orange is right next door.

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2017, 11:41 PM
And WOS hasn’t improved as well? We sure aren’t doing those snaps anymore lol. Good luck next week. We tend to do better as the underdog anyway so keep pouring it on.

How can WO-S be an underdog when they have won 2 straight and you will not let anyone forget how great they are?

WOS87
12-17-2017, 12:20 AM
How can WO-S be an underdog when they have won 2 straight and you will not let anyone forget how great they are?

My opinion means nothing. What are you even talking about? We’re gonna lose.

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2017, 06:47 AM
My opinion means nothing. What are you even talking about? We’re gonna lose.

LOL ..No opinions actually matter.This will come down to who wins on that day.

SouthTexas Lobo
12-17-2017, 07:51 AM
This and IMO WOS has already beat a better wing-t team with a bigger OL and faster RB's in Kennedale. The only place I believe PG is better than Kdale is on defense and that is saying something after I watched KDale dominate my Jackets offense.

I concur with Sville. WOS has already beaten the best 4A D1 team that runs the wing T. I would like to understand how PG will be able to come out any different than Kennedale did. Not a big WOS fan, but they have something special going that allows their fan's to talk it up.. Next seems to be their motto

oldtownag
12-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Go PG!

P.S. I really don't care except I want to win the pick em in Div. 2.

BwdLion73
12-17-2017, 10:38 AM
.This will come down to who wins on that day.

:thinking:

oldtownag
12-17-2017, 10:58 AM
I hear this every year, and now I can't decide whether it's sarcasm, a meme, or just entrenched stupidity.

You might want to check a map. You can't get any further east in Texas than Orange. And West Orange is right next door.

WOS is too far south. WOS kids wear white rubber boots. PG kids wear black rubber boots. The difference is easy to spot.

Dawgs
12-17-2017, 12:47 PM
WOS definitely has that East Texas speed. Just South East Texas speed! But this game is won in the trenches. Both teams have speed.

db1980
12-17-2017, 08:07 PM

Two funnies:

Somebody saying they don’t have any idea what’s coming.
East Texas speed kills. Northeast or southeast???

WOS1
12-17-2017, 10:27 PM

Yup WOS is about as far East and South (on the LA border) and as you can get and, correct me if I'm wrong, but Texarkana is about as far North and East (on the Ark border) as you can get, so please explain to me how "East Texas Speed" even applies here. Carthage is the only East Texas team playing in 4A. This is a South East vs North East match up.

WOS1
12-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Two funnies:

Somebody saying they don’t have any idea what’s coming.
East Texas speed kills. Northeast or southeast???

Exactly!

bleedgreen
12-17-2017, 10:56 PM

I think I counted 8 bad snaps. Luckily WOS has a very athletic quarterback to overcome those mistakes. Someone said the center was intimidated.

WOS87
12-18-2017, 12:13 AM
I think I counted 8 bad snaps. Luckily WOS has a very athletic quarterback to overcome those mistakes. Someone said the center was intimidated.

And we still won. Your point? I’m rooting for you guys, geez was just hoping for the same.

d0tc0m
12-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Pleasant Grove is very, very good in all phases of the game. The Hawks have just been dominant all year long. On offense, their line is quick, athletic and strong. The Hawks can throw the ball, and not just when they have to. Their scheme is tough to defend, and they do a great job of disguising what they're going to do. And, if your defense isn't dreaming about how to stop the PG buck sweep, then that play will go for six at least once against you. The PG RBs are quick - although, not blazing fast - and very athletic, but more than that, they are just flat out strong. They're hard to tackle in the open field simply because they are so strong. Defensively, PG's front seven was the best Celina has seen in a long, long, long time - even better than WOS's state champion team in 2015. The defensive line lives in the backfield, and they pursue very well. The LBs flow to the ball about as good as Carthage's unit, and they arrive with a bad attitude. The secondary isn't going to blow you away, but they play so physical, and benefit from that solid front seven so much, that they don't get beat too often. If PG is ever going to win a state championship, this is the year.

BUT ...

This is a tailor-made matchup for WOS. The Mustangs' defense is what it is. They don't get fooled too often, especially by a wing-T based offense, which they see ALL THE TIME. Granted, PG runs some variants out of this scheme that I haven't seen other teams run. But, WOS has the discipline to adapt, and the coach staff to adjust on the fly. The only thing that keeps me from picking WOS by a lot in this one is their offense against PG's defense. I think this will be the best defense the Mustangs have faced all year long. You could say Kennedale is better, and I wouldn't fight you too hard on it, because I'd just be splitting hairs. But, for my dollar, I'd say PG's defense is slightly ahead of the Wildcats'. I think PG's front seven will make life very difficult for the WOS offense, and I could see this being a very low-scoring game. Honestly, I could see both teams scoring under 20 points.

Defense wins championships. And both of these teams have two of the top defenses in ALL of 4A. So ... who knows what is going to happen. As of today, I'm going with WOS, because history has shown they just flat out suffocate teams who run the wing-T or any variations thereof.

Give me the Mustangs by 1.

Roughneck93
12-18-2017, 09:48 AM
https://youtu.be/cV3NcN4ZaJs

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
It should worry WOS that Tepper picked them to win. He went with Graham last week. Also went with Gilmer over Melissa.

Sville
12-18-2017, 10:57 AM
I think these two defenses are so good the score could be 17-14 either way.

Gsquared
12-18-2017, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=Aesculus gilmus;1938018]It should worry WOS that Tepper picked them to win. He went with Graham last week. Also went with Gilmer over Melissa.[/QUOTE
FSSW

oldtownag
12-18-2017, 11:06 AM
To Tepper's defense, he doesn't attend games so he is kind of having to throw out a guess on what he sees on paper and highlights

In your defense, you might not be sober when attending or making picks! :taunt:

Gsquared
12-18-2017, 11:10 AM
In your defense, you might not be sober when attending or making picks! :taunt:

Hahahaha, you may or may not be correct with that statement!

Gsquared
12-18-2017, 11:26 AM
and I should have worded my reply "Tepper doesn't attend games because of his FSSW commitment on Fridays".

briandumith*
12-18-2017, 02:01 PM
and I should have worded my reply "Tepper doesn't attend games because of his FSSW commitment on Fridays".

I think you are just a little jealous of his position and fame... you would trade for it in a minute... He covers all the games... does a great job considering that......

Rocket Man
12-18-2017, 02:03 PM
I’m just wondering if WOS is gonna use our football again this year during the SC game.

bleedgreen
12-18-2017, 02:10 PM

I'm trying to remember that game in my mind and I don't recall the passing game being on track because of the Wildcat pass rush and blitzing.
The quarterback was tearing us up in the open field when he couldn't find open receivers but I wasn't impressed with the passing game.
If all of that has been addressed, then I will go with WOS.
If the offensive line can provide protection, WOS wins in a close game.
WOS defense shut our running game down. No reason why they can't do it with PG.
Good luck and keep a tight line.

Gsquared
12-18-2017, 02:30 PM
I think you are just a little jealous of his position and fame... you would trade for it in a minute... He covers all the games... does a great job considering that......
Oh Brian..... sure ok. Was actually trying to take up for him. Go back to sleep Brian....

briandumith*
12-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Okay sure. Was just trying to take up for him. Laters Brian.Sorry.. miss read the quote maybe or something.... I'm bored.... no football and my hockey teams on winter break.... I dont know.. I hate all the 4a teams left sept kdale n I don't know them.. anyway sorry again

Dawgs
12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Man I want PG to win, but I just don't see it. WOS sees that offense too much, and is just too damn good at stopping it. This is going to be fairly low scoring. WOS finds a way to win it late, because...well because they are WOS and that's what they do. Sorry PG. I'll be rooting for you guys, just don't have the cajones to bet against the Mustangs.

Ranchhand
12-18-2017, 05:04 PM
I’m just wondering if WOS is gonna use our football again this year during the SC game.

Hey, it worked last time! LOL

waterboy
12-18-2017, 06:01 PM
I feel like Pleasant Grove is very capable of beating West Orange-Stark, even though they do run an offense that the Mustangs have seen many times. I think PG has more balance than the wing-T teams they have seen. The offense of PG, and the way they execute it, reminds me too much of the 2007 Liberty Hill offense that was so good. LH didn't even have to pass it, and PG usually doesn't but can very efficiently.

Defensively, I think these two teams are very comparable to each other.

The one thing that keeps me from saying PG "will" win is the experience factor. This is the 4th straight trip to Jerry's World for the Mustangs, so that experience alone is a definite advantage. I say if PG can overcome the initial nervousness that comes with playing there, they certainly have the team and the confidence to get it done. We will see.

I say PG wins somehow, some way.

WOS87
12-20-2017, 08:30 PM
http://kogt.com/sports/wos-trying-to-bring-home-the-gold-again/

Old QB
12-21-2017, 10:31 AM
I feel like Pleasant Grove is very capable of beating West Orange-Stark, even though they do run an offense that the Mustangs have seen many times. I think PG has more balance than the wing-T teams they have seen. The offense of PG, and the way they execute it, reminds me too much of the 2007 Liberty Hill offense that was so good. LH didn't even have to pass it, and PG usually doesn't but can very efficiently.

Defensively, I think these two teams are very comparable to each other.

The one thing that keeps me from saying PG "will" win is the experience factor. This is the 4th straight trip to Jerry's World for the Mustangs, so that experience alone is a definite advantage. I say if PG can overcome the initial nervousness that comes with playing there, they certainly have the team and the confidence to get it done. We will see.

I say PG wins somehow, some way.

I just feel that WOS is not as good as in previous years. PG much better team and the score will show it - PG by 17.

lostaussie
12-21-2017, 10:48 AM
I can't freaking wait for this game. Is it the early or middle game?

waterboy
12-21-2017, 11:12 AM
I can't freaking wait for this game. Is it the early or middle game?

The middle game. Division 1 plays first this year.

Aesculus gilmus
12-21-2017, 11:45 AM
In the spirit of Christmas, PLEASE let Pleasant Grove win, Mustangs.

They've never won this. Never even been to this game until now.

You have enough titles. It's time to SHARE.

Furthermore, the Texarkana people have already decided the 2017 Hawks are the BEST TEAM EVUH! Don't mess this up for them.

pirate4state
12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
in the spirit of christmas, please let pleasant grove win, mustangs.

You have enough titles. It's time to share.

Furthermore, the texarkana people have already decided the 2017 hawks are the best team evuh! Don't mess this up for them.

hahahahaha

regaleagle
12-21-2017, 11:57 AM
I you don't stop Shaka Watson from breaking some big ones......you missed the strength of the Mustangs offense. He's lightning in a bottle.....makes their offense GO. He's a real threat and he's the one with the ball in his hands most of the time. He's really amazing and don't think he can't outrun the PG defense......he can. He'll make the defense look slow when he beats everybody to the corner, or puts one move on a defender and then he's in the open field for a huge gain or possible TD breakaway. I'd put a spy on him every down if I was PG. You will not stop him, but slow down and contain Watson and it makes everything much easier. But easier said than done, for sure......Watson has the moves and speed to get away.

Yeah.....a defensive game for sure. But just remember this......whoever scores one point more wins. Like maybe a two-point extra point???

GUNHO
12-21-2017, 12:08 PM
In the spirit of Christmas, PLEASE let Pleasant Grove win, Mustangs.

You have enough titles. It's time to SHARE.

Furthermore, the Texarkana people have already decided the 2017 Hawks are the BEST TEAM EVUH! Don't mess this up for them.

Go away.Where were ya'll Christmas Spirit in 2014? Oh wait....You changed your mind in the second half.:bigcry:

waterboy
12-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure PG has seen several QBs that are playmakers with their feet. I'm not sure if any of them have anywhere near the speed or agility of Chaka, though. PG's defense is very disciplined, however, and I'm pretty sure they can at least limit his chances.

lostaussie
12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
My concern for WOS is they seemed to have trouble scoring in the playoffs. They did put up 30 last week so maybe they have found it. I really believe they will have to have at least 30 today.

WOS87
12-21-2017, 02:07 PM
My concern for WOS is they seemed to have trouble scoring in the playoffs. They did put up 30 last week so maybe they have found it. I really believe they will have to have at least 30 today.

Today? I hope we put up 30 in the first half tomorrow. Last whatever-T team we’ve lost to was Newton in 2014.

bleedgreen
12-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Good luck to the West Orange Stark Mustangs. If you play like you did against Kennedale earlier in the year(you'll probably play better) then you should prevail against PG.
Play within yourselves and stay confident.
Keep that streak going.

WOS87
12-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Good luck to the West Orange Stark Mustangs. If you play like you did against Kennedale earlier in the year(you'll probably play better) then you should prevail against PG.
Play within yourselves and stay confident.
Keep that streak going.

Thank you! Much appreciated and good luck to you!

SouthTexas Lobo
12-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Good luck to WOS, I know that PG has speed, but I think WOS speed, experience on the big stage, and it's ability to adjust to Wing T defensively will be the difference. Good luck to both teams.

pirate4state
12-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Today's the big day! Best of luck to both teams, but GO MEET 'EM STANGS!!!

Roughneck93
12-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Go WOS!

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2017, 01:11 PM
From one SHS to another Go Mustangs!

Stownhorse
12-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Good grief, PG is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
12-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Wow......what a game. Congrats to both teams.......but especially to the new Class 4A Division 2 Champs......the Pleasant Grove Hawks!!! I was really impressed with their overall physicality and execution. WOS showed why they have won 40 straight and would not give up.....scoring 2 TD's to bring this game to within a single touchdown with 4:30 left. But PG stayed to its game and tried to end it on 4th and 2 with a long 39 yd field goal that went wide. With less than 50 secs. left, WOS went to the air and ended up throwing 2 Pick 6's back to back in the final seconds in desperation. Regardless, all the fans saw a great game. Hats off to both teams and especially to the Pleasant Grove Hawks.

Old QB
12-22-2017, 07:15 PM
I just feel that WOS is not as good as in previous years. PG much better team and the score will show it - PG by 17.
I had my doubts about WOS when they beat Madisonville by only 2. They were just not as strong this year in the playoffs as in previous years.

jason
12-22-2017, 07:16 PM
Pleasant Grove is dang good. Held WOS to 43 rush yards.

lostaussie
12-22-2017, 07:31 PM

We tried to tell y'all. As stupid as their fans are, there was no doubt they could play.

oldtownag
12-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Congrats PG. You are best Div. 2 school in the state. :2thumbsup

And I am the best Div. 2 prognosticator on the down low! :1popcorn:

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2017, 08:05 PM

Crazy

Hopefully, Matthew Stafford’s alma mater fares better than the other two teams I was pulling for today.

cowboyandchrist
12-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Great game PG, I called this game earlier this week.
Congrats on your first state championship. You beat a big time program.

buckeyebob
12-22-2017, 08:50 PM
The Beast From the East took care of business today...PG & the Dawgs made me proud...now I feel vindicated...2 of our 3 losses this year were to 4A State Champs...good job all around...now for me new District 7 Div II prediction...Pleasant Grove, Gilmer, Pittsburg, Liberty Eleau, & Spring Hill. 2018 Spring practice starts in 17 days.

lostaussie
12-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Congrats PG. You are best Div. 2 school in the state. :2thumbsup

And I am the best Div. 2 prognosticator on the down low! :1popcorn:

I am the best Division 1 prognosticator on the Downlow. And I won't let anyone forget it:D

lostaussie
12-22-2017, 09:09 PM
The Beast From the East took care of business today...PG & the Dawgs made me proud...now I feel vindicated...2 of our 3 losses this year were to 4A State Champs...good job all around...now for me new District 7 Div II prediction...Pleasant Grove, Gilmer, Pittsburg, Liberty Eleau, & Spring Hill. 2018 Spring practice starts in 17 days.

Are you kidding me Bob.......jeez it's Eylau.......not whatever that junk was you posted.

oldtownag
12-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Are you kidding me Bob.......jeez it's Eylau.......not whatever that junk was you posted.

He's old. Go easy on him. :thumbsup:

bobcat1
12-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Congrats PG! Awesome team win! Great run WOS! Congrats on a fine season. 40-1 is a heck of a record!

Ima thankin them big old hogs upfront won that game and should get the credit they deserve! Wow they were impressive!

Roughneck93
12-22-2017, 09:57 PM
https://youtu.be/MHn9ci7ErxA

Roughneck93
12-22-2017, 10:00 PM
https://youtu.be/NkBIVQJRMxA

buckeyebob
12-22-2017, 10:50 PM
I am the best Division 1 prognosticator on the Downlow. And I won't let anyone forget it:D

Sweet...glad to see you are gainfully employed

buckeyebob
12-22-2017, 10:52 PM

I have a metal block in the spelling...they need to change it

buckeyebob
12-22-2017, 10:54 PM
He's old. Go easy on him. :thumbsup:

But still pretty and a judge of good corn liquor...glad to see the Dawgs take care of their business...at least we can say we had 2 losses to State Champs.

Ranger Mom
12-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Hi y'all!! I actually watched this game today! First high school game I've watched in over 5 years or so!!

DaHop72
12-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Great game! PG, one of the best tackling teams I've seen in a long time!

movethechain
12-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Great game. Both teams showed why they belonged. Never give up by WOS and adaptability to change from run to pass by PG, made this one highly entertaining. Congratulations to both schools, but with extra jalapenos to PG for their first State Title!

griff
12-23-2017, 10:33 AM
It's never easy to take a loss this far into the season, but when it's obvious the opposing team outplayed you, the inevitable reaction is to tip your hat and acknowledge the better team won.

You could take the time to dissect this game and look at ways that WO-S could have made the game closer or even won it. It was a winnable game, but ONLY if we would have played mistake-free football. For example - 1) overthrown passes in the first half (at least one would have been a TD); 2) play calling to include WR screens and more runs to the strong side and less between the tackles; 3) stopping PG from converting so many third downs; 4) penalties that cost WO-S a TD, a big 4th down conversion (fake punt), and long yardage situations; 5) blown coverage on PG's first play from scrimmage; 6) three turnovers (two pick 6's late)...those are some that I noticed. But, in the end PG earned the victory because they EXECUTED their offense and defense better than WO-S did.

This year's version of WO-S football had a smaller margin for error, especially on the offensive side of the ball. We were able to make it this far despite that, but yesterday we ran into a team who was good enough to make us pay for it. It's also worth noting that PG had zero turnovers. I am a WO-S Mustang for life, but today was Pleasant Grove's day. Congratulations to the Hawks on earning your first state championship.

bobcat1
12-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Hi y'all!! I actually watched this game today! First high school game I've watched in over 5 years or so!!Well Lookey Lookey here:wave:. Hidy young lady!

bobcat1
12-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Great game! PG, one of the best tackling teams I've seen in a long time!
And them big ol boys upfront tackled and meant to land on you with all their weight. Loved it!

lostaussie
12-23-2017, 02:22 PM
And them big ol boys upfront tackled and meant to land on you with all their weight. Loved it!

Did you hear them when they said number 90 who was 300lbs of all man.........was a starter on the PG soccer team. Must be where they get all that conditioning.

stardog
12-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Did you hear them when they said number 90 who was 300lbs of all man.........was a starter on the PG soccer team. Must be where they get all that conditioning.

Must be the goalie - just has to move a little to the left or little to the right !

stardog
12-23-2017, 03:05 PM

That #77 and #90 we're awesome !!! When #90 got ahold of you, he didn't push you back, he threw you back !!!!!

bobcat1
12-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Yep and he had great feet too.

WOS1
12-23-2017, 05:04 PM
I had my doubts about WOS when they beat Madisonville by only 2. They were just not as strong this year in the playoffs as in previous years.

Madisonville was a dang good football team.

WOS1
12-23-2017, 05:06 PM
We tried to tell y'all. As stupid as their fans are, there was no doubt they could play.

They are extremely hard to take. You can have that Smoaky site... Rampant disrespect.

oldtownag
12-23-2017, 06:03 PM
They are extremely hard to take.
You can have that Smoaky site... Rampant disrespect.

Not PG fans necessarily. SDC has a culture of disrespect among all teams fans that post there.

WOS1
12-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Not PG fans necessarily. SDC has a culture of disrespect among all teams fans that post there.

Yes pretty much all of them, but there were several PG fans that were just as bad.

lostaussie
12-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Yes pretty much all of them, but there were several PG fans that were just as bad.

I agree. As I have said earlier, they thought they were "God's gift to football". They were very good and very good was good enough this year. But, they weren't great. I've seen great on several occasions. PG doesn't fit that description.

1st and goal
12-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Congrats PG.

I thought the WOS coach was going to blow a gasket or a seal.

Tejastrue
12-23-2017, 10:26 PM
He always looks that way!

1st and goal
12-23-2017, 10:28 PM
He always looks that way!

Good thing he doesn't lose all that often. I wouldn't want to ride on the bus home with him after a loss.

Tejastrue
12-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Good thing he doesn't lose all that often. I wouldn't want to ride on the bus home with him after a loss.

The story is they always eat fried chicken after a win. After a loss? Okay...I know the easy thing to say is "crow", which they rarely would eat anyways but I just wonder if they go without. :thinking:

WOS1
12-23-2017, 11:20 PM
I agree. As I have said earlier, they thought they were "God's gift to football". They were very good and very good was good enough this year. But, they weren't great. I've seen great on several occasions. PG doesn't fit that description.

Agreed, this was the lesser team of our 4 yr run and had a couple things gone different we win that game.

buckeyebob
12-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Congrats PG.

I thought the WOS coach was going to blow a gasket or a seal.

8 year old great grandson watched the game with me...said he looked like he was sucking on a green persimmon...from the mouth of babes.

The last loss they had was to the Buckeyes, State Championship, 2014

lostaussie
12-25-2017, 04:14 PM
8 year old great grandson watched the game with me...said he looked like he was sucking on a green persimmon...from the mouth of babes.

The last loss they had was to the Buckeyes, State Championship, 2014

That's incorrect Bob. They lost to Richmond Foster the following season.

WOS1
12-26-2017, 07:07 AM

This is correct. And that's just Cornels look. We could be up by 28 and he'll have the same look.

buckeyebob
12-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Misinformed...quoted Fox Sports...I should know better

H3llR4z0r
12-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Well, say what you want about PG not being this or that, or about the Smoaky site in general. Smoaky has a lot more posters than TXDL, therefore you get a lot more crazies, and it's not from just PG. Fans from Celina, WOS, Graham, Melissa, various teams get on there just to troll the Smoaky posters. Names I'm very familiar with that are on multiple forums even.

That being said, I do think this PG team was a great team. You can say "this was a down year for us" or anything of that nature if you wish, but the truth is, with different teams, come different game plans. Another team may have been an even better match-up, and that's what it's all about. The truth is, they're the best team in 4AD2, and beat a team that beat the D1 runner-up. They handily beat every opponent they faced with the exception of Gilmer, and that would have been different if they had played again, in my opinion. This game itself wasn't as close as the score indicated, as the PG play-calling went super conservative after going up 28-6. It almost cost them the game, but then that PG defense bailed them out twice in a row.

Congrats to both programs! WOS has made it to the big one 4 years in a row, and that's nothing that's easily done! PG wins their first ever football state championship, with what I believe is a great up and coming head coach!

See y'all next year!

waterboy
12-26-2017, 12:11 PM
There was nothing "flashy" about this Pleasant Grove team, but they were about as solid a team as you will see in all aspects of the game. The offense, though antiquated, was plenty good enough due to flawless execution and balance. The defense was extremely solid, very physical, and could disrupt what the other team was doing regularly. Special teams was solid. All that matters is they beat every team that was in front of them throughout their journey to an undefeated state championship. It doesn't matter what teams of the past did, and the Hawks will get the rings to prove it.

Are they going to be a "flash in the pan" kind of team? To some degree, yes. They will still remain a solid team as long as they keep the coaching staff they have. I don't expect them to go back-to-back, though. There's too many teams that have seen what they do, and will be prepared better the next time around. They just had all the pieces together at once this year.

ctown81
12-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Well, say what you want about PG not being this or that, or about the Smoaky site in general. Smoaky has a lot more posters than TXDL, therefore you get a lot more crazies, and it's not from just PG. Fans from Celina, WOS, Graham, Melissa, various teams get on there just to troll the Smoaky posters. Names I'm very familiar with that are on multiple forums even.

That being said, I do think this PG team was a great team. You can say "this was a down year for us" or anything of that nature if you wish, but the truth is, with different teams, come different game plans. Another team may have been an even better match-up, and that's what it's all about. The truth is, they're the best team in 4AD2, and beat a team that beat the D1 runner-up. They handily beat every opponent they faced with the exception of Gilmer, and that would have been different if they had played again, in my opinion. This game itself wasn't as close as the score indicated, as the PG play-calling went super conservative after going up 28-6. It almost cost them the game, but then that PG defense bailed them out twice in a row.

Congrats to both programs! WOS has made it to the big one 4 years in a row, and that's nothing that's easily done! PG wins their first ever football state championship, with what I believe is a great up and coming head coach!

See y'all next year!

Every village (town) has an idiot, and they always find their way to Smoaky.

H3llR4z0r
12-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Every village (town) has an idiot, and they always find their way to Smoaky.

Rightfully so, it's the most renowned. The only thing they seem to flourish to more is the FSSW app. That thing is terrible.